enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

It's never too early to start planning for the biggest, friendliest event of the Torana year!

Who's going? How ya getting there?

Refresh Mick's (sstorana) memory with any suggestions and comments from 08.

Hurry up and finish that project!!

Mick, any chance of some competitions, etc? Wheel changing, trailer races (pulled by hand kiddies!), rocker cover races???

Grant..

#2 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

yeah....some form of competitions would be fun to watch...
and how about a sauage sizzle?? it would be better than pluto pups
and chips

Edited by meanmachine72, 24 September 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#3 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

I think Mick and Garry were going to look into the sausage sizzle thing with the help of the documents Yella(Pat) gave them.

I think some competitions would be great aswell! Rocker cover races are a good one! maybe a rim throwing competition (not Rim the person, wheels!)

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

Wow, bit early to start planning now! I think Mick and Co deserve to sit down for a few weeks, put their feet up and have a few coldies! LOL

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

haha, maybe you should start planning your trip up now matt! save the last minute hurdles! lol.

If you get a new job, you can then tell them its a booked holiday!

Never know, Karlie and I might have a house by then! If not the oldies said you are more then welcome at our joint next year!

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

Funny you say that, Maddy and I had a laugh in the car, For something we planned absolutely last minute. We planned it so bloody well! Everything was perfect! We didnt forget anything or regret anything! How often can you say that about a Holiday!

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

I don't know, never too early :)
Apart from looking at sun shades today I started working on my car for next years event.
I am doing some minor improvements as we speak, (waiting for paint to dry) and I have drawn up another list for Performance Garage and Jeremy to do.
The list will grow, so far its all engine bay stuff.

If and when I think of any ideas I will pass them on to HVTC for consideration.

Cheers
Herne

#8 _Garry_

_Garry_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

:spoton: Orange LJ,

I was a bit busy all day but please tell me that Joes Sno Cones had Egg and Bacon Rolls on early on Sunday for the healthy breakfast crew? Thats what we tried to organise for those who dont like Pluto Pups for brekky.

I got brekky about 10.30am. (Egg & Bacon Roll thanks Reg mmmm no such thing as bad fat!)

As I said on the Toranafest 2008 thread we had a full day with little time for any other activity so fitting things in like competitions might be a bit hard.

Just a suggestion, what if some activities off site at some picturesque sites in the Hunter Valley were scheduled for the Saturday for those who want to make a weekend of it as many did this year?

Graham (SLR5000) might be able to come up with another cruise and some other activities? Or something on friday night in that Harry wont be turning 90 again?

I note that UFOXU1 says that Harry still wants to come next year, 91!!!, I'm 56 and I am knackered after this year! :blink:

Plus Huddo why did I get to bring Harry's Potty? I am not Kenny that's your area of expertise! :tease:

What about the stalls we tried to get some that may be of interest to the ladies, I know my wife and Pete's (Borat)wife enjoyed the Jewellery lady, my wallet didn't! :cry:

Garry "The Fatman" :rockon:

#9 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

Damn... :blink:

I still haven't gotten over this year's event and you want to start organising next year's?? :blink:

Toranafest will be happening over the weekend 19th and 20th September 2009

Well I can let you know what the "theme" for next year will possibly be.. :tease: sorry guys I can't until I speak to a few of our sponsors, later in the year. Suffice to say it will have something to do with race cars!! Rory and Rocket keep the date in mind this year please..
We will be approaching a number of past drivers and celebs from the years gone by, to be part of the day.

With regards to the food side of things, I hear what you are saying. This year we had another large food vendor in, who pretty much sold out of roast beef by 2.00pm, as well as a few other small "foodies". With the rate that the show is growing, I will be looking at one of the Lions, or Rotary Clubs to look at the "Sausage Sizzle" as well.

With regards to the Competitions, this will be looked into. It maybe that we ask some of the clubs that attend to organise these. As Garry said though, we already have a full sheet for the day, so we would have to look at how we incorporate anything else.

I will get Graham (LX5008) to speak to the motel again about getting a deal as we had this year. I somehow can't see them saying no...

I think that the security that he orgainsed was pretty well recieved by you guys, that came from interstate. They were a couple of guys that had a problem with parting with the $10 per night cost :fool: , but you get that..

that's about all I will say at the moment with regards to TF09...

as more info comes to light we will pass it on through here..

Cheers
Mick

#10 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:53 PM

I know some pipe hitting diggers that can do security... but If we catch them...can we keep them?

#11 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Is it too hard to maybe have a swap meet included? There is a nice grassy area out front of Bullecourt...and the carpark.

#12 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

I will be there in 09! I was disappointed to miss out on this years one, but money was all tied up in other things. Approximately how much should i budget for the weekend - leave thurs or friday and leave newy on monday. And of course driving the torana down from brisbane.

thanks guys

#13 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi Aggro, here's a tip to save on accommodation which can run you up a bill. Bunk in with some mates.
The room we had was booked for 4 (one couldnt make it) but our room still had one double bed and 4 bunks. If you get in a room like that with a few people it will only cost around $25.00 per night each.

Entry fee this year was only $30.00 per car, pit/polishing crew were free lol

Petrol cost me around $250.00 return with 355 stroker!. One of my bro in laws has a mild 308 in his Torry and used $220.00 in petrol. Expect it to be dearer than around $1.60/litre next year.

Breakfast cost me around $10.00 per day. Full meals in the motel ranged from $16.00 to $21.00 including soft drink and or coffee. The motel has a 24/7 cafe/Diner.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 25 September 2008 - 02:44 PM.

#14 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Excellent, thanks for that in detail breakdown Alan. Although i have a feeling im gonna need to budget a fair bit for fuel just for the extra kays. Hmmm now to find any unsuspecting victims to get to share a room with lol. Any qlders goin?

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

AGGRO,

I drove my SS ute up from Melbourne, and used about 4.5 tanks of fuel. (roughly $400ish). Then accom in Newy was about $180, then a pitstop in Goulborn on the way home was $70. Then probably an extra $100-150 in food for me and the Mrs. We split the costs between us, so that helped us both!

If i took the Torana, i would have needed more money for accom (couldn't drive 12hrs straight in the torry) and probably another $200 odd in fuel (My trip worked out to be around 2200km's all up)

#16 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

I know it would be hard to organise, especially in open space, but a Dyno comp would be good.

I have seen a number of Dyno's that fold onto a trailer and are quite easy to setup, of course noise would be a problem.

#17 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

I thought the $10 per night for security was cheap peace of mind.

#18 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

I know it would be hard to organise, especially in open space, but a Dyno comp would be good.

I have seen a number of Dyno's that fold onto a trailer and are quite easy to setup, of course noise would be a problem.

BCR4ZY

this is something that we would love to get happening on the day. Our problem is the insurances aspect of the Dyno as well as the Council's reluctence to let us. Rest assured though, we will try and persuade them for 2009..

My idea would be to have it set up in the carpark as this is kept pretty clear and it is easy for cars to access.

We will see what we can do

cheers
Mick

#19 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:42 PM

What about some children activities to keep them busy
like Face painting,Jumping castles,etc

More toilets -porto loos

More food choices

Raffles,

Allow the clubs to orgainise there cars for better displays of colours and models

Overall you can not improve too much as the event was BRILLANT

see you in 2009

#20 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

I agree, it was cheap by any standard. Not sure how you can enforce it but I feel bad about the cheapskates that didn't want to pay maybe they should use a different motel ;)
The security guard we had this year is more than happy to come back next year, he hopes to get the gig again.

Herne

#21 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

How about a group heading over from WA?

Welby

#22 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

yeah i may go to next years one if not ill definitely be there in 2010

#23 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Not sure of prices but it might be cheaper to put 7 cars or so on a transporter and get them over and back that way?

Herne

#24 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

What about some children activities to keep them busy
like Face painting,Jumping castles,etc
More toilets -porto loos
More food choices
Raffles,
Allow the clubs to orgainise there cars for better displays of colours and models

tsn007
we did the whole kids thing last year. we may do it again next year.
Toilets - I will be speaking to the Council about this as the toilet ammenities is well below par for an event this big. I should call Kenny :blink:
Food - yep, looking at that. I did approach another three food vendors for Toranafest, but no interest.. HAve however rec'd calls from two others ref 2009!
Raffles: Too much hassle.. Auctions are the way to go for Toranafest :cry:
Clubs to orgainsie there cars better: In 2009 the entry forms will ask which club you belong to? The total of these "pre entrants" will be the total of spaces allocated to the club. Hopefully this will close the gaps like we had this year. :spoton:
They can park their own club cars. It just needs someone from the club to get their 5 min early and to start parking cars.. :D

I hear what you are saying. We may look at discussing with the motel in adding the cost to the rooms. More on that later

How about a group heading over from WA?

Welby, I would love to see a group of you guys over here from WA. I know last year there was a couple of guys in the XU-1 club over there that was really keen to come over.. :clap:

cheers
Mick

#25 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

Actually Im surprised the loos only just got mentioned.

The sign said "cleaned daily" but every year, and every other time Ive been there, they are disgusting.

Last year there were USED condoms hangin from handles and all sorts of things,

this year there was shit smeared all over some of the walls, and someone vomited all over a cubicle.

Not to mention the fact the floors are usually wet (and slippery) not onlyin the males, but in the females.

Karlie said the ladies also ran out of toilet paper. Not a good thing.

Potraloos may be the way to go for next year guys :) just a suggestion.

Id be happy to pay a couple bucks extra on my entry to cover some better ammenitites.

As for the competitions, Who says that you blokes have to run them? HVTC has alot of members? get them involved in other aspects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users