i304 into LH

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#51 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

Thanks guys, yeah slr i live in narre. Will let you know when i get my car home if you wanna come have a looksie, always up for a beer!
76- just gunna let my engineer friend sort out diff for me, he seems pretty confident it will be fairly easy, thanks mate

Well bit more of an update, DROVE IT over weekend!! yay!

Made up a tailshaft to the banjo for now as my engineer mate is goin to usa for 8 weeks. Still running the torana brakes and hub on front so i can get engineers cert done while he is away.

Couple of questions, my water temp guage is running between 195-210 deg f. Seems too high considering weather is cold. Made up brackets to run the v8 commodore radiator so apart from fresh motor, cooling system is same as it came outta the commie.
Using an ultra light AM electronic guage and sender is on the front of motor at bottom of intake manifold.

can anyone shed some light as to why she is running bit warm?

Apart from that ran really really well, got pleanty of grunt!

cheers guys

#52 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Are you using a fan & shroud or just a single thermo?

#53 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

engine fan but no shroud.... cold night lastnight drivin at bout 70k's n was still sittin bout 200....

#54 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:12 AM

212f = 100c so it isn't boiling,fitting a shroud & making sure the fan is correctly spaced makes a big difference...other things to check is make sure the water pump to manifold & thermostat houses are connected up.

Other than that check the thermostat & what it is opening at,might just be an 86-88 deg one instead of 82 deg thermostat I think the earlier cars had...anyway,big test for it is to see what it would be like on a warm-hot day cruising or sitting in traffic,for that you will want to have a shroud on it for sure.

#55 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

either a shroud or some AU ford twin thermo fans. keeps mine cool even on 40+ days.

#56 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

hey guys thanks for the help. yeah ended up being a sticky thermostat so all sorted now!
Few weeks of waitin for my engineer mate to get back from the states and ill get into diff and brakes!

#57 _row_

_row_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

hey mate. im only new on here, but im interested in what you did with your 186! I wanna make a tough 6, maybe supercharge aswell, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know!

row

#58 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

let me know how you go about the diff and brake upgrade?
need to do one on my project lh
nice tips on the alt bracket/pulleys i didnt know they where different
was thinking of glimer belts anyone know if they fit up with the carby motors?

#59 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

hey guys sorry havent been on for a while! ROW the old motor is sittin in a mates shed now. all yours if you wanna pick it up from benalla in vic lol!
beergut im in process of modifying diff at moment. front brakes are ready to bolt up just had to get some plates made up!
can buy the gilmer kit same as mine for 308, check ebay of performance shop!
will get sum pics up in couple of weeks!

bretto

#60 _row_

_row_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

rammaLH,

ive been thinking very hard about my LH project, and givin all the work i am goin to need to do to get the ol' girl to handle the power i want, i'd figure ill just go the V8, but ave something that i'll be able to atleast get 400km off $100, thus, i'm very keen on how your project is going... i'm looking into buying a VN as well, strippin motor right down, bigger cam, maybe stroker, 5spd, and diff... unfortunatley, im not luucky enough like you to have a mate thats an engineer to help out, so any help you can swing this way would be more than appreciated!!!!

cheers again,

row

#61 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

hey boys and girls, sorry havent been on for ages. talk about reviving an old thread!
WELL! amazing how your expected time frame can blow out to hell when building an old car! So many $$ and so much time and im only building a nice street car!!

update is, front brakes are on as well as hubs and simmons wheels. Banjo and Borg are next to eachother on shed floor. Looks like we are going to use a diff out of a skyline/pintara with the VN centre, lsd, 3.9s etc

has anyone done this diff conversion that can shed some light on best way to go? i have got 2 diffs, one that came outta vn and also one out of an r31 skyline so hit me up with any info!!

got some pics but cant figure out how to post em up??

#62 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

few pics

Attached Files

#63 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

HI

You can build me a diff 2 if you want, lol . Good to see you have got it up and running.

Chears Neil

#64 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hey who made your clutch cabe?

Check the stickies in the driveline section for diff info.

#65 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

hey guys, been slack gettin on here again sorry. umm clutch cable we made ourselves. seems good at this stage. Getting stuck into my diff next 2 weekends. Pulling one out of an r31 skyline sat morning, using bits of it and bits of the commie diff and seeing what genius plan we can come up with!
Can anyone recommend anywhere in dandenong area of melbourne to get some axles shortened etc?

hope to have car at exhaust place within the next 2 weeks.
stay posted for pics!

and neil if your serious once we get mine sorted out can definatly do a diff for you if interested.

regards
brett

#66 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

diff out of skyline now, 3.9's or 4.1's guys? also places to get axles done in melb, anyone recommend anywhere? will get some pics up this weekend!

#67 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

I'd go with the 3.9's,used those gears in my lc with a efi 304/getrag & it cruised along fine..if I went with 4.11's 1st gear would have felt a tad too short unless it had taller tyres.

Make sure the gears aren't 3.89 but actually 3.90 or they may end up being noisy.

#68 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

Mine is going back to the 3.91:1 gearset at some stage - just have to fix the gearbox angle to stop the vibrations (more work than it sounds) but it was a good all round ratio with the Toyota 5 speed

#69 _brooker_

_brooker_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

hey guys i have just purchased lx toz and have a vn ss motor 5sp and already have had the diff shortend and such is there dramas with clearance with the 5sp or will it slot right in?

#70 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

cut all mounts off torana diff on the weekend, cut everything off the borg that came outta the skyline.
Cleaned up and welded all mounting brackets, springs plates etc onto new diff.
Commodore lsd center, went with the 4.11 gear set from a pintara. easy enough to change if its too tall, should be bitta fun though ;)

using 28 spline skyline axles, disks etc. will get it through engineers with 4 stud wheels on back and will then be "modifying" so that we can run the commodore stud pattern on the rears too.

Diff is all painted and bolted in. looks great. painted wheel arches. new pedders springs and shocks in the rear. sway bar even fits round new diff! bonus!
pleanty more little fiddly things to do ie handbrake etc!

"brooker" haha depends who you talk to as to if the manual box fits "straight in"
i didnt have to do anything other that cut hole for the shitfer a bit bigger.
Other people swear black and blue that you have to get tunnel modified etc. dunno why as i didnt have to chop away at anything. sat pipes in, dropped motor in, bolted up pipes and engine mounts then put box up and in from underneath! will get some photos up soon as i can figure out how to get em off my phone!

brett

#71 _brooker_

_brooker_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

thanks did you use the torana gearbox crossmemeber?

brett
[/quote]

#72 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

no mate had 2 use a CRS (castlemain rod shop) crossmember to suit. seemed to fit pretty well, all bolt holes etc lined up. :)

#73 _brooker_

_brooker_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

thanks mate will contact them

#74 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

Bit more progress on my old girl......

Diff all in and done, axles and disks all done. Just need to run brake lines to front and back brakes and she will be on a trailer on way to exhaust shop!

Has anyone else done a torana with full commodore brakes using standard LH brake booster, master cylinder?

If so any tips/feedback etc?

cheers!
brett

Attached Files

#75 _showoff_

_showoff_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm at this exact stage now. I bought new pacemaker extractors, fit very nice. Now i just need too fab up an exhaust or send it too an exhaust shop...

Thanks for all the photos its nice looking at other ideas people have when in the same boat. :) Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users