new engine in the old mans fed

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

hi, this is one of the other reasons i have not been doing much one the lc as i have been busy helping
the old boy with his new engine it has got scat stroker crank h beam rods ross forgies 4/71 huge bottom
end girdle whitch we made the sump clear he has got some 29.5" tall tyres coming this week as we are
taking it out in a few weeks . we finaly started it yesterday and it sounded great there is a bit more to
starting this one now compared to the last one with just the mech injection on it.

Thanks Hayden

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

Nice ! thats gotta be friggin loud ! :D

Any shots with all the panels on?

Also ,Just wondered whats the go with the air line having the pressure reg/water trap on the end ? looks like it would be a bit awkward to use.

MT

#3 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

mumstaxi,
i dont have any pics of it here at the moment with all pannels on ,yes it was very loud the air line with regulator was to check the msd timing retard was working it was a bit wild but it did work.

Thanks Hayden

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hey Hayden, Dad wants to know what that blue bottle beside it is :P.

Cheers.

#5 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Dad wants to know what that blue bottle beside it is :P.

Cheers.

Foam fire extinguisher is my guess.

Best to be prepaired

#6 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

D.J.,
yes it is a fire extinguisher foam or some stuff that puts out methanol fires.

Thanks hayden

#7 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hayden!

Top stuf mate, That looks like one TOUGH flat head!

#8 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Awesome... love the hilborne injection.
How period correct is this thing..... Man, everywhere you look I see things I haven't seen in years, or if ever!!!
What a time capsule.

#9 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Greg,
3 of us made the whole car dad bent it all up then my mate pete (runner 202) welded it all including cutting down
the early ford diff making rear rims.grafted anglia front end,grafted cut down model A ford steering box on unsure
if you know but it has a trimatic in it you remember a while ago i told you he had a hydaulic shop well he has made
all his own t/brake,manual valve body for it(you can just see one of the orange hoses in top photo) he has now
worked out how to do it at the rear where the modulator valve used to go and has made one with a brought manual
valve body for pete to use when he turbo charges his 202.

he had the andra tec fella around today but i am unsure what the outcome was i think they want him to convert the
rear to full floater. as when we were in the usa we spoke to don garlits and he told us that those diffs would handle
1,000hp with a oil change every meet and when they made 1,300hp he told us that alot of people got hert using them.
so dads 300odd would proberly be ok.

Thanks hayden

#10 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

we took this to the strip last night and did a few passes the first pass it blew the head gasket and blew the backfire plates open as i had
told dad that he needed the most boost he could get so it was set at 16% over driven and the boost gauge was reading 15psi after run
so in went a new copper gasket then we forgot to empty catch can after that and while he was backing up i could see it spewing water
out next pass the battery was to flat to fire msd then it ran 11.2 with a 5,500 limmiter so we then fitted 5,800 and not using the t/brake
it ran 10.70 but we did not get a mph on that pass we changed pulleys and it was running 13psi.

Thanks Hayden

#11 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like a few teething problems!

What are you guys expecting the old girl to run?

#12 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

Tiny,
the old man just wants to get out of super street so he has to go faster than 11.00 but i would
think that it will go faster than that as we have pulled a fair amount of timming and fattened it right up
i would like to think that it might run low 10s or high 9s but we are really not sure i guess we will find out
early next year.

Thanks hayden

#13 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Flattys are awesome! :spoton:

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

What stud pattern is that? Looks like VW or something :fool:

#15 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Heath,
no it is not a vw rear end it is around mid 40's ford model diff and hubs they are actually a 3/4 floater rear end not quite full floater.
they are actually simmilar to a 9" as they have the pinion support bearing aswell.

Thanks hayden

#16 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

This hopefully is a link to us starting this car at home doing a few checks.
http://au.youtube.co...h?v=bsU6_YIZhH4
Thanks hayden

#17 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

:blink: That sounds TOUGH AS!

Very cool mate! You and Your dad should be VERY proud!

#18 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

I like wat I see on this thread, good luck on sorting it out and great looking car.

#19 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

took it to strip again last night but on second pass it sheared key on hub on diff after full reves and the use of the trans brake. so we are fixing it back up and are going to run it a bit more then change the diff but need to sort out car a bit more first as to know what diff gears to get.

Thanks Hayden

#20 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

we ran this again last night but due to the fragile keyway on rear axles are now just idling off line and eazing it on it ran 10.7 again but we have finaly got a mph to work from it ran 121mph still at the lowest boost we can get (12psi) we are going to change boost around today for tonight as we are still running normal head gaskets but we have the proper ones just havnt got around to putting them in yet so might blow gasket again.

Thanks Hayden

#21 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

just an update

we had this out again last weekend with diffrent converter as the old man has been talking with a few people with blown flat tops here in aus and in usa and they agreed somthing was wrong as we ran it up to 19psi boost and ran 126mph (and with the 1930 model drum brakes he nearly ended up off end of strip brakes were visualy smoking when he eventually stopped HeHe)

cut a long story short we have had a fair amount of trouble keeping head gaskets in so when on the 126mph pass it hossed water out of zorst pipe we all cam to the conclusion that it was the head gaskets again as we are now running solid copper head gaskets with out orings but they have 24 studs on each side so aparently we dont need them. but when head was lifted off it had actually cracked the aluminum head on the edge of chamber.

so one question that cam up while talking to the blokes in the usa and here was timing well we hadnt given that much thought as it has run usally 15psi boost so with the boost retard box how we have had it set up all the time it was pulling all the timming out and only leaving it with a total 3deg advance and with 19psi it would pull it back to 6deg retarded so there is our other problem of the engine getting verry hot and this was never picked up as we have all been way to busy trying to keep the head gaskets in and other stuff on it hehehe.

with this fixed the other people recon it should run 140mph :unsure: ? oh fogot to add they recon timing sould be around 15-17deg total no need to use the retard box as the type of engine dosent need it and we are now going to try a set of cast iron truck heads as they will bring comp down from 9.7 to1 to 8 to1 and they said they will need 1 deg more timing because of where the spark plug is located so iwill be painting the heads today ready for next w/end big drag meet.

Thanks Hayden

#22 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Wow! very interesting stuff!!

Thanks for the update!

#23 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

maybe some bigger brakes maybe??

#24 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

Orange lj,
yeah that is next on the todo list fitting 9" alluminum carrier willwod disc brakes 30+ spline axles all the fruit.

but it has got a parashute aswell but if we use it we then have to pack it back in ready for next time.

Thanks Hayden

#25 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

ok we ran this car friday and last night with the lowest boost we can get (14psi) and we ran 10.20 @ 127mph with timing bumped to 15 deg and we shifted the rev limiter up to 6100 as it is still on limiter long before the end as the diff ratio is not quite right but first time ran both nights no problem. except with the solid copper head gaskets it pressureises the water galeries as there is no sealant on head gaskets ?.
Thanks hayden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users