Painting Engine

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:53 AM

Hey All,

I am not to sure if i have put this in the right section, but i thought i would just ask.

Previously my engine was painted Blue and it looked trick in the engine bay, as the car is blue.

I am about to start putting it back together and my friend has said to paint it black instead of blue.

Now i know that black has better heat carrying capabilities, but would it make that much of a difference?

Also, do any of you have a photo of a black motor in a torrie engine bay that is also black?

Its not a show car, just a clean streeter, so i am not after any awards with it, but i do want it to look the part.

What are your thoughts..............

Regards

Halil.

#2 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

My 202 was black in my lc, black engine bay, and i didnt really like it, so now its rocket red as it should be :)

A1

#3 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

The colour of a 2mm thick enamel paint won't make any noticeable difference to an already seering hot block. HPC coating the extractors may reduce heat slightly. In my opinion a black bay and a black motor will incredibly boring. Unless you have glossy black and show chrome, everywhere! Try to change it up a little.

I've got a pic of a black engine bay and motor but need somewhere to host? Heath?

EDIT: <------------------- you can almost see in my little pic there. See?

Edited by Eddie, 06 March 2006 - 10:49 AM.

#4 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

go something different, i have silver with a purple balancer etc.
i done a 308 in a blue HQ by painting the lot silver then getting some blue in a cup and a brush and just flicked the paint everywhere that was a good 2 year ago and it still looks awesome (i also highlighted the eldebrock manifold etc)
get creative! nothing worse than a nice car with a black engine (other than a matt black car (eww!) with a black engine) :spoton:

#5 J-Rod

J-Rod

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:00 PM

in terms of heat transfer it is supposed to be best to have a white engine and a black engine bay.. dunno how much truth there is behind that theory though.

#6 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

Black hides the oil leaks a lot better... especially from the r/cover and those annoying side plates. ;)

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

The colour of a 2mm thick enamel paint won't make any noticeable difference to an already seering hot block. HPC coating the extractors may reduce heat slightly.

Its not really the thickness of the paint that makes the difference(well too thick a coating of paint can be an insulator), it is the colour. Didnt you do the experiment at school where you painted some aluminium cans black and see if they cool faster than unpainted ones, the results are significant.
You are right though, it wont make much of a difference to a engine block where the principal method or removing heat is via the radiator, not air cooling of the block.
The engine will absorb heat from the exhaust though so perhaps painting the motor white or silver immediately adjacent to the exhaust might have some merit, but doubt it would be worth the effort.

What colour, go withwhatever you feel looks good.

#8 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:10 PM

Didnt you do the experiment at school where you painted some aluminium cans black and see if they cool faster than unpainted ones, the results are significant.

Significant yes on an aluminium can where the paint is as thick or thicker than the wall thickness, but not significant on an engine block.

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

Eddie, the black paint only has to cover the surface(the thinner the better in fact) to make it an efficient black body radiator. It doesnt really matter as to the thickness(metal in this case) of what is underneath, regardless, an aluminium can is still a lot thicker than a thin layer of black paint, and models what happens in any other vessel holding hot water quite well.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 06 March 2006 - 08:40 PM.

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

Good old rocket red for me!
I am putting a black motor in my LJ and it will be rocket red for a little bit of originality but chrome bits too.
Ultimately your choice.

RACV MAN

#11 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

i like yellow motors :P

bitch to keep clean though.

#12 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:14 AM

Hey guys, just my 2 cents...

My 179HP is silver with black KC alloy rocker cover... Here's a pic!

IMHO, its easier to spot oil leaks (not that i have had any yet) and further repair them in due time! I chose silver to compliment the dark blue of the rest of my car...

Posted Image

#13 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:56 AM

Love that colour(opaline blue or whatever its called), same as one of my UC's......no adr27A stuff?........did it have to go through a rwc station?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 07 March 2006 - 03:57 AM.

#14 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

chev orange
Posted Image

Posted Image

i will get a better pic of it in this weekend

#15 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:19 PM

Holden Orange (Rocket Red)

Posted Image

Yeah yeah i know, the rest of the engine bay needs a cleanup :P

Steve

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

yyeelllloowww.....

Posted Image

#17 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

My UC has the ADR27a gear - just not visible in the photo (cut off by bad photographer)
Car colour is Galaxy Blue pearl
Engine colour is Engine Enamel Silver
Rocker cover is matt black with silver highlights (KC Alloy version)

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 07 March 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#18 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

My UC has the ADR27a gear - just not visible in the photo (cut off by bad photographer)

Keith there is nothing in the photo that suggests any adr27A stuff,did the photographer get the wrong car. I dont care if you have got it or not, but you think you do but I believe you are mistaken - which could land you in hot water.
Which of the below have you got?
line from rocker cover to air cleaner assembly with filter

thermostat valve in aircleaner assembly
vac operated valve on tube of aircleaner connected to flexible stove pipe to draw underbonnet air or preheated air.
Idle stop solenoid
Vac advance solenoid - typically attached to thermostat cover
Thermal vacc switch - attached directly to top of thermostat cover
Cold feed switch -between 2 and 3 spark plugs on head

Switch on transmission for top gear connected to cold feed and vac advance solenoid
Exhaust gas heat valve - valve in exhaust manifold
Exhaust gas recirculation valve - vacc operated, sits on exhaust manifold.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 07 March 2006 - 10:19 PM.

#19 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

Silver painted engines seems to be trendy right now. I guess a lot depends on what colour the engine bay is. A black engine in a black bay probably wont cut it unless there is a ton of chrome!

For what it's worth I am prepping my EFI engine right now and the colour will be silver with rocker covers and EFI injector covers to be a contrasting colour and as yet still to be decided. I would like chrome but that may have to wait till another day and a few more dollars.

Cheers
Herne

#20 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Well it all depends if you can see it or not as to if it really matters what colour it is!!
Posted Image

oops!! Where did that come from?? :fool:

Try this instead
Posted Image
Posted Image
This was before I pulled it all out and tidied it up!!
I know that the Chevy Orange and Mandarine Red arent exactly the same colours but it goes to show that you can use similar colours and they dont need to be contrasting like Blue and Yellow for example.
All depends on what effect you are after!!

#21 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:15 PM

ah the top pick in your post brought back good memories mate. i remember seeing that and instantly cracking wood.....quad turbo....mmmmmmmm

#22 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

That cums from being single for 11 months :tease:

RACV MAN

#23 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:59 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the photo's, i dont have any chrome bits in the engine bay apart from the air cleaner, i was going to get the VN covers polished, and possibly the holley aswell.

I have a picture of the engine when it was blue in the engine bay, but dont know how to post it so it just comes up.

#24 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

The rocket red looks nuts, but if you want your bay to be cool couldn't you just get that tape that you put over extracters? Forgot what it was called, but they always have it in street machine under the name of COOLIT...

Go for the rocket red, but you can see oil leaks pretty easy I guess....

*Liam

#25 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

The rocket red looks nuts, but if you want your bay to be cool couldn't you just get that tape that you put over extracters? Forgot what it was called, but they always have it in street machine under the name of COOLIT...

Go for the rocket red, but you can see oil leaks pretty easy I guess....

*Liam

What oil leaks?
Your not putting it on thick enough.

RACV MAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users