Need new Starter

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Today I put the C Wire terminal straight to the + via a heavy wire and yest it cranked everytime I touched the + Terminal,I noticed a small section of Faulty power wire(the Small power wire from the loom Plug to Starter) I replaced the bad section and soldered in a new peice.It worked for 3-4 times of trying to turn it over then stopped again and is back to justt making a loud click!!?,the rest of the wiring looks fine and tried my brothers battery but still the same so its not the battery,looks like I'll have to replace ALL the wiring to Starter which I didnt want to do as this hole section of wiring from Starter to Loom Plug is all taped together etc and looks like a pain to do! and somehow I have to pry open the Loom plug to take the old wire out and fit the new wire which is 25 Amp stuff and might not fit in the loom either?..

#27 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Install a relay triggered by that dud wire and run a power wire straight from the battery.

#28 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

Install a relay triggered by that dud wire and run a power wire straight from the battery.

This is the easiest and quickest way to fix it.

#29 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

This is the easiest and quickest way to fix it.

Looks like I'll have to go that way,I have no idea what sort of relay/type I need to buy 30 amp? then what terminals are used on the relay(which ones do I use on the relay to hook the wires to?) soon as I find out I'll go buy one..........................

#30 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

just double checking,but it is the purple wire from the harness plug you have connected to the c-terminal yeah.

dave

#31 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

just double checking,but it is the purple wire from the harness plug you have connected to the c-terminal yeah.

dave

Correct

#32 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

30 amp auto relay will be fine.
wiring diagram is on them or search the forum/web.

#33 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

I wired up a relay correctly,it now has power to it all the time BUT now the bastard cog on the starter is getting stuck on the flywheel!!? something must not be lined up right although it looked to be fine it'll crank a few times and then make a series of clicks in a row,im assuming I need spacers or something now= why cant parts just bolt on and work? ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

#34 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Is it not engaging or not disengaging?

#35 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

Is it not engaging or not disengaging?

Sorry I shoud've been more clear= its not disengageing from the flywheel

#36 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

Does this men it continues to crank although you have let the key go?
Or the starter pinion gear mechanically jams in the flywheel?

#37 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

Does this men it continues to crank although you have let the key go?
Or the starter pinion gear mechanically jams in the flywheel?

No it stops cranking when the key is let go,its just the Starter gear/cog wont disengage from the flywheel and retract back into the stanionary position,but I still dont know why? these starters are made specially for V8 holden red motor.Im running T350 box and the 308 is turbo Pattern,has this anything to do with it not lining up?,the papers with the starter say" Despite appearances this starter is purposely designed for Holden passenger vehicles fitted with V8 Holden stock(Not Chevrolet) engines from HK(1968) to early VT(2000) as long as they are fitted with standard extractors and ring gear.

#38 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:15 AM

running T350 box and the 308 is turbo Pattern

IS the flex plate standard?
Because-

the papers with the starter say" Despite appearances this starter is purposely designed for Holden passenger vehicles fitted with V8 Holden stock(Not Chevrolet) engines from HK(1968) to early VT(2000) as long as they are fitted with standard extractors and ring gear.

#39 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

The flexplate has Turbo 350-400 written on it in marker and was told that its the same as normal 308 flexplate? but perhaps it is indeed different creating the problem :cry:

#40 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

Well I got the Torana going again AT LAST!!!!! I wired up the relay and she starts very,very easily even when not started for some time I gave up trying to get the New Jaylec Starter to work(for now) I just could not get the starter cog to disengage from the flexplate!? so I put the old starter back in until we fit the new starter onto an (out of car 308) and see why its not lining up or whatever is making the cog not retract :we hope to get the new starter sorted out though. I drove her about today and upon stopping at the bottle shop and trying to start up again she struggled a bit to go but nowhere near as bad as before,the AU fans still come on if my motors not running and the Coolant is hot enough to trigger the fans(turn to acc and the fans go) so when you try kick her over its struggling to start as the fans are drawing so much power.

I need to get my shit together and do what suggested on my" Hard To Start When Hot" thread= buy and wire in a TACHIOMETRIC RELAY so the fans only come on when the motor is actually running the sparky that wired them up obviously did it wrong and charged $$$ too!,I put the hose back onto between the Water Pump and Thermostat Housing and changed the Thermostat too ,seems to be running cooler now and fans are no longer working overtime...

THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT CONTRIBUTED AND HELPED ME OUT HERE :spoton:

Edited by 76S.L.R, 31 December 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#41 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

Glad you got it sorted.

#42 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

I heard RIM, Heath, and MitchG are all new starters, but don't know if they'll get your car started, or your motor running.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 01 January 2009 - 12:12 AM.

#43 _PRO-192_

_PRO-192_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

ok when i started reading the thread about the clicking i was going to write "turn over the motor a bit by hand" as it seems to me the starter is sticking but it seems your problems are deeper than first thought... make sure the starter is lined up correctly or try to "align" it so its as far away from the flexplate as possible while remaining straight... if this doesnt work you should be able to simply put a shim between starter and block and should solve your "problems"... hope this helps...

micko

#44 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LC 2dr

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

Howdy,

Just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread as the information was very helpful in finding a replacement starter for my 5.0L VK. Damn thing has had a reluctance to start when hot or left sitting for a few days (like an almost flat battery) for some time now. Battery and leads were known to be fine as they're relatively new so I decided to purchase the Jaylec Hi-Torque starter rather than another reco'd standard one. Best thing I ever did as the cranking issues have now disappeared. :spoton:

Jaylec compared to the original.....

Posted Image

Cheers,
Jeff

#45 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

Howdy,

Just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread as the information was very helpful in finding a replacement starter for my 5.0L VK. Damn thing has had a reluctance to start when hot or left sitting for a few days (like an almost flat battery) for some time now. Battery and leads were known to be fine as they're relatively new so I decided to purchase the Jaylec Hi-Torque starter rather than another reco'd standard one. Best thing I ever did as the cranking issues have now disappeared. :spoton:

Jaylec compared to the original.....

Posted Image

Cheers,
Jeff

Well at least someone got their car sorted!!, I still havent got my Jalec Starter to fit/ work correctly yet!, as stated earlier guys the starter cog keeps getting caught on the flexplate? from all reports their starters bolt straight on with no mods but mine gets stuck?.Today I made some shim plates for the starter( 1mm thick, one for each side) I havent had a chance to fit it all back up again, I allways though starter shim plates were really really thin but I rang Armadale Auto Parts over here in W.A yesterday and they said to make the shims 1mm thick and most people use from 1-3 of these stacked,you cant buy starter motor shims for 308's either! you have to make them.Im hoping to hell that it'll work with the shims I made and 1mm is the right size needed.

After reading lc2dr's post it sounds like this starter will fix my probs if I can get it lined up and makes me even more puzzled as to why mine won't fit right as it sounds like he's had no problems with installation or function, my S.L.R is running Turbo 350 trans but im told it should still bolt staight up

#46 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

Well thismorning I managed to fit the Jalec Starter using the 1mm shims I made, whhamo! it now works correctly and sounds mean upon cranking :D started her about 8 times to check it wasnt sticking on the flexplate anymore and seems to be all good. Not had a chance to take her out for a run, get the motor hot and see if my hard to start when hot prob is gone, I'll be testing tomorrow morning so fingers crossed chaps that the bitch will start when hot if not I'll probably go nutzo :blink: .......................

#47 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

Yeeeeeharrrrrrhhhhhhh!, At last the Jaylec starter is in and working fantastic! I now have no probs starting the Torana even when she's hot and the Au fans going at the same time!, we rigged up a fan stop switch with bright LED but she starts no probs anyway,I can now drive her about and not worry about struggling to start her up when the motors hot.Now I have to sort out my wandering steering thats really anoying I suspect my steering racks stuffed......................

#48 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

Good work. Well done, glad to hear its running again with no problems.

#49 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LC 2dr

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Well done - I'm glad you got it sorted. It's nice when cars start as they should! :spoton:

#50 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Well done - I'm glad you got it sorted. It's nice when cars start as they should! :spoton:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,I spoke too soon= just tried to start her up for a sunday drive about and again the starter got stuck on the flexplate!?? it went fine driving it about last week though!?now its getting stuck again for some bloody reason?.

lc2dr= did you have any probs fitting your Jalec Starter?,did it just bolt staight on? if so then for the life of me cant figure out why mine needs shims and still gets stuck?............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users