Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LC 2dr

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Crap! :Headbang2:

No, I didn't have any issues with fitting the new starter - I removed the old one (after lifting the engine + removing the dust cover from the Trimatic) and installed the Jaylec with the original bolts. Didn't use the ones that came with it.

I can't imagine why you're having issues as it 'should' be a straight swap...

#52 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

We are going to fit the Starter to an( out of car 308) and have a look to see if we can see if its not lining up on that one too?, all I can think of is the mounting block on my Jalec Starter might somehow be not exactly the right size?( not tall enough),Quality control issues maybe?. I have a Turbo Pattern 308 and Turbo 350 Box but am told, theres no difference in that respect over normal 308 pattern and box in regards to starter mounting but perhaps there is?.................

#53 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:17 AM

If a standard starter came out then the new replacement should go in.
Start looking for signs of modifications to your old starter.

#54 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

Has the new starter been inspected for any faults?

#55 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

Old Starter has not been modified in any way,New Jalec Starter has not been checked for faults= faults like what?,its brand new im 95% sure its just not lining up right with the flexplate teeth but unsure why? I think I'll have to ring the supplier of these(cooldrive) and see if they can offer any usefull info regarding this delema?............

#56 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

Solenoid faults, contacts, spring and any manufacturing faults that would cause your problems.
If the starter was purchased new and is not suitable for use then get it exchanged.

#57 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

i know it s an old thread and a long shot but wtf
check the teeth on your flexplate as chevs have 2 types and this could be causing your problem

#58 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

oh and might be stating the obvious
but did you ask for a starter for a turbo gearbox?

#59 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Well the saga continues,we had another go with the Jaylec starter motor( I had given up on it for ages) using a 3mm Stainless Shim and the start cog still got stuck on the flexplate! straight away and every time( removed it 3 times,same thing every go!) so I screamed and cursed and took it off again. I took the starter to work along with my stock starter,I work with a few mechanic guys and one of them picked the problem right away or so we think,the stock starter is very hard tp pull the starter gog forward with your fingers( two fingers to move it), with the Jaylec Starter you can pull the gog all the way forwards with one finger and has VERY LITTLE spring power to retract it backwards! so its not able to retract back off the flexplate.

We also tried the Starter on an (out of car) 308 and it did the exact same thing so its not a singular issue with my car,for a brand new starter this has really pissed me off and caused too much grief.
I rang the cooldrive mob again ( Main supplier) and again told them the whole story,I was told to return it to repco who would then send it off to Cooldrive for testing= what a nightmare!,I suspect I wont get it back for months now,I told them why we are almost certain it wont retract off the flexplate and the guy at cooldrive said" yeh but these High Torque starters are completely different than the stock items" ? so I dont know what the outcome will be,I suspect they get these knocked up in China and quality control is not strict enough so I had to end up with a #@$^%& one!..........

#60 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

I once bought a change-over starter for my 6cyl kingswood, fitted it and when I cranked it over I heard a god-awful noise from the starter. The gear on the starter seemed to be wrong/too big? Turns out that the re-con joint changed brands of the gear and they 'should' fit- bollocks!, I got my money back! I had tried to clean out the old one and basically filled it up with degreaser to get the crap out and clean it up ready for return, and well, years later it's still in the car and working fine.

On my 253 I bought another change-over starter and it was as you described with the return spring seeming to be weak-as. When the car was hot and I floored it there was a 'ringing' noise. Not pinging- sounded different. I had a look at the starter again as the car didn't make that noise before. I know it sounds REALLY stupid but I worked out the starter gear was sliding backwards under hard acceleration and just touching the flexplate ring gear. I fixed it by putting the return spring from the old starter in there- no more ringing! (I still had the old one because when I was removing it I dropped it and broke the snout off. Not returnable like that so in the 'parts bin.') I have to assume that was the problem...

I'd say if the starter isn't EXACTLY 90deg to the ring gear then maybe it was JUST enough to hold it in the engaged position? Maybe the top of the starter mount isn't perfect?

Edited by Gunmetal LH, 25 August 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#61 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

ARGHHHH, Please help,me someone I finally got a new Jaylec Starter for the Torana as they swapped it over for a new one: ive just put her on and this one is also getting stuck on the flexplate I am FURIOUS this is exactly what the first one did and all I could get out of them was something internal was broken!?.

Flexplate is in fine cond,Turbo 350 Box,Turbo 308 Block theres no reason this should be getting stuck!? I just cant figure this out and its driving me mad................

#62 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

I forgot to add, as soon as I opened the box of this replacement one I had a look at the starter cog on it and like the first one you can move the cog really easily and it retracts back with f*ck all oomphh at all!? again its like the starts retraction spring is too weak to move the starter cog back of the flexplate!? yet one or two other members say they had no issues? are there any W.A members that could help me out with this?,carton of piss if we get it sorted= I just want my car to run again!!..............

Edited by 76S.L.R, 15 October 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#63 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hey 76 SLR did you get the jaylec starter fitted to your torana?

I just purchased one for my 308/trimatic kingswood wagon. I hope i don't have the same problems you did when i go to install it.
Wish me luck

Rhys.

#64 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

I wish I had read this thread before buying a jalec. The first 1 lasted about a week, and had a weird sound when starting, then just gave up.So took it back, they replaced it under warranty, all good, it lasted a drive to speed on tweed and back,and a trip to lakeside, but at times would have to rock the car in gear to get it to mesh with flywheel, then it stopped, took it back, got another, this started the car 3 times, then yesterday, tryed to start the car to put on the trailer to take it for a dyno, bang, smashed the top right off it.These jalec might be fine with old worn flywheels,but will not last long with a new super light yella terra unit or others by the sounds. I cant go back to a standard type, there is no room now with the dry sump hoses, just about stressed to the max with this problem, this car hates me !!!!

#65 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

i,m having similar issues with my jaylec starter , its been fine for the last 12 months , now its starting to jam in the flywheel and when the engine starts the starter gear goes for a ride !!! not happening all the time but once out of 3 starts , the jaylec has good cranking power which i need for a hi comp 308 ..

can anyone recommend another quality brand of small high torque starter motor on the market ? or have jaylec solved the problem yet ?

#66 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

I never did find out what was the problem with mine,they wouldnt tell me!!!?,I should have updated this thread but in the end they replaced it after much messing about sending numerous emails and making various phone calls and filling out forms.

From the sounds of it these are JUNK Starter motors which is #@$^%& cause they arent dirt cheap either!.

WhiteA9XS= what yours is doing,mine had the exact same issue but they would not tell me the cause for some reason,the whole ordeal was very frustrating and would recomend guys look for alternative starter Motors but Im buggered if I know what?.Its a real shame as the Jaylec ones are small and great for Torana's where space between extractors and starters is really tight like my car,I looked and looked and the Jaylec seemed to be the only one that would fit,I tried a later model Commodore one originally but there was no way it would fit.............

All the distributer would tell me( Cooldrive) was that there was a problem internally with the starter

Edited by 76S.L.R, 29 October 2011 - 12:20 PM.

#67 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

I never did find out what was the problem with mine,they wouldnt tell me!!!?,I should have updated this thread but in the end they replaced it after much messing about sending numerous emails and making various phone calls and filling out forms.

From the sounds of it these are JUNK Starter motors which is #@$^%& cause they arent dirt cheap either!.

WhiteA9XS= what yours is doing,mine had the exact same issue but they would not tell me the cause for some reason,the whole ordeal was very frustrating and would recomend guys look for alternative starter Motors but Im buggered if I know what?.Its a real shame as the Jaylec ones are small and great for Torana's where space between extractors and starters is really tight like my car,I looked and looked and the Jaylec seemed to be the only one that would fit,I tried a later model Commodore one originally but there was no way it would fit.............

All the distributer would tell me( Cooldrive) was that there was a problem internally with the starter

thanks 76 slr , i think its another typical example of the junk out of china , i find myself these days trying to find the BEST junk out of china , in the race car the bosch alternators are only good for 12 months since made offshore ..

#68 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Well now My second Jaylec starter has #@$^%& up and I hardly drive the car!!,last week the starter cog was stuck on the flywheel so I unbolted it and it worked fine again but today it started up fine when I took it out for a drive and parked it in the driveway,I later tried to start her up again to put it in the garage but it wont turn over,GRRRRRR!!!!.

It now just makes that horrible screetching sound you hear other folks car's do when your in a public car park,I hit the solenoid etc but it just wont turn the motor over?? I dont think its worth me trying to get this Starter fixed as it'll probably just stuff up again. surely there must be a decent starter for sale to fit 308 red motor's ,with the stock one I kept getting hot start problems even with a hot start replay inplace and these Jaylec ones are junk!.

I spotted these on Ebay http://www.ebay.com....=item1e6958073c but these will probably be problematic too?,anyone here had any feedback on these?

EDIT: just seen this thread http://www.gmh-toran...ter-motors-308/ seems 304 Starter's fit straight on the old 253/308? and are hi torque plus you canb use a VZ heat shield so this is what I'll do

Edited by 76S.L.R, 18 December 2011 - 03:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users