#1 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hi all
Am thinking of buying an Reproduction SLR steering wheel from Rare Spares:
https://rsp-secure.c...a...X UC TORANA
$303.16
Can anyone comment on the quality of these? Seems like a reasonable buy if they're ok.

Cheers
Harve

#2 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Bought one a couple of weeks back, looks a million bucks and compared to the shit people are selling on Epay it has nice grain on the wheel! :spoton:

#3 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for that 2600s, that'll do me! :spoton:

Cheers
H

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:54 AM

I bought a GTS wheel for my ute many years ago. It was very nice to look at and use, although 3 minor issues:

1) not as thick steel as an original, a little bendy but this wasn't an issue with power steer
2) separate boss/wheel construction is nice but don't separate too often as the thread strips out of the boss easily
3) after some time the black started wearing to brown underneath

Overall very good though

#5 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:11 AM

hi,i was wondering does the wheel above have 5mm or 3mm spokes.

dave

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

3mm off memory.
R

#7 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

I'm with you Rory, sure they are thinner

#8 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

If I remember right, GM used 5mm spokes in the ealy days (LH and ealy LX) and then 3mm later (late LX). Therefore the size of the spokes should not matter if it is to be fitted to a later model car. I have seen the latest steering wheels that are on offer and are much better quality than the ealier attempts. The orginal wheels have four little holes on the back of the hand grip due to the manufacturing process where the reproduction one do not. I ageer with why buy an old and in most cases damaged wheel when one can now buy a quality reproduction one.

#9 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

i have one each of these,so would the 5mm be more suited to a 76 lx or was the change to3mm earlier.thanks

dave

#10 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hi Dave, Im no expert in this field. I have a Dec 75 LH SLR that I purchased in Jan 76 (last of the LHs) and it has the 5mm spoked wheel. The ealier 76 LX also had the 5mm spoked wheel but the later LX had the 3mm spoked wheel. I do not know when it changed on the LX. I think that one reason for the change was due to saftey in that on impact the wheel would have given with the force of of the driver pushing forward on heavy braking and impact. If originality is your aim then you ned to make that choice. If not, then I would use the reproduction wheel as if offers better value for money. Having said that, there are still orginal GM wheels out there (3 and 5mm) that are in good condition but these are becoming rare. I would keep an eye out for these. But I would not buy those that are damaged as I believe that they pose of saftey risk and are illegal. But again this is your choice. John

#11 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

thanks john,mine is 5-76 so i think it is safe to say it is eary lx.both the wheels i have are original gm wheels.1is of a 75 lh and the other is off a 77 ss hatch.the 5mm 1 feels a lot more sturdier.i guess ill use which one looks the best.

dave

#12 _booral1_

_booral1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

I purchased one of these about 5 months ago from rares for my LJ GTR.Mine was 3mm spoke and to be super critical the boss kit at back of the steering wheel was a fear bit different it had a lip then tapered down alot more then the original.Went back to rares and they new of the problem and were trying to rectify it.Lx5008 knows what I'm talking about.All in all excellent repo.

#13 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys, sounds like a goer.
Cheers
H

#14 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Picked it up on the weekend, looks very good, not a perfect finish (if you're being really picky), but more than acceptable. :D

Cheers
H

Posted Image

#15 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

God that site makes it easy to part with your cash.

Wasn't somebody looking for a bottom radiator support replacement some time ago? Just found a replacement panel on the site:

https://rsp-secure.c...mp;ImageFolder=

#16 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

looks good.im thinking of getting one 2.my original 1 is bent,and a bit worse for wear.can u let us know what u think after a few drives please :)

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

I think most people know my opinion on these, I'd pay double if it was correct, but I refuse to pay $300 for something thats not correct. However, in saying that, I'm fussy, and I'm not saying it's poor quality, what i am saying is if you are going to copy something, make it correct. For the record, 3mm spokes were introduced with the UC and HZ, the older wheels are not 5mm thick, they are imperial 3/16 from memory I could be wrong there I'd have to measure it. It would have to be a very late LX to have the metric wheel.

#18 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

^^^ What he said...more than happy to part with the cash for a 5mm wheel...3mm?..no thanks...can't be that hard to fix surely??
R

#19 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

Better than the alternative ----> no steering wheel.

But, yes if it could be closer to original, that would also be good. I'm sure Les takes this sort of stuff on board.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 19 January 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#20 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:43 AM

How would it make much difference if it was correct thickness though? The construction is still completely different with the separate boss (which also doesn't match). I think they're probably just happy with a look-alike (much better than nothing like Yella says), I imagine a faithful copy would be so pricey no-one would buy it.

#21 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:08 AM

I was told an exact copy would be double by LES a long time ago, but if you were the owner of say an A9X XU1 whatever and you wanted a new steering wheel, most would not waste $300 on something thats not even close, they'd hang off for a good one on ebay or at a swap meet. I even considered paying $1000 for a perfect NOS one. For anyone doing up a car and wants something that looks close these will do the job.

#22 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

I was told an exact copy would be double by LES a long time ago, but if you were the owner of say an A9X XU1 whatever and you wanted a new steering wheel, most would not waste $300 on something thats not even close, they'd hang off for a good one on ebay or at a swap meet. I even considered paying $1000 for a perfect NOS one. For anyone doing up a car and wants something that looks close these will do the job.

In other words, someone probably stuffed up and tooled up wrongly in the first instance of making a repro. Shame really.

Herne

#23 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

When I enquired about these wheels, I was advised that they were NOT allowed to make them exactly like the originals as Bridgestone? made the original wheels and still own the copyright...

Don't know how accurate the above information is, but maybe Les can confirm...

Either way, my wheel has a small bend in it and I am drawing closer to purchasing one of these wheels over paying $300 of epay for another bent/worn wheel...

Edited by BCR42Y, 20 January 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

Bridgestone did make them yes, however they damaged the original tooling before handing it over so it was useless.

#25 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

looks good.im thinking of getting one 2.my original 1 is bent,and a bit worse for wear.can u let us know what u think after a few drives please :)

Will do ass308! Although I like the look/feel of the larger diameter (compared to the Momo) already.

Cheers
H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users