I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

Most things that rare spares make cannot be an identical replica of the original. I'm suprised no one else has brought that up, because that is probably the reason it's so different. And wouldn't any brand new steering wheel that is allowed to be used on the road need to have the 3mm spokes? It should meet the most recent ADRs... right?

#27 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

correct, it wou;d have to meet ADR's, but the 3mm spokes were on the later wheels, thats not the real issue

#28 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:27 AM

thanks hrv74.good to hear u like it

#29 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

what i am saying is if you are going to copy something, make it correct. For the record, 3mm spokes were introduced with the UC and HZ, the older wheels are not 5mm thick, they are imperial 3/16 from memory

Maybe they were made for replacement of these later models and not for the torries ... Just a thought.

#30 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

tHE THIN SPOKES IS ONLY PART OF IT.
The originals are one piece, the copies are 2, requiring a BOSS kit. The rim itself is also fifferent. The only difference in the original factory ones was the early were thick spoked, late were thin.
Anyone who has the new wheel post up some pics of it around the boss area (particularly where it's attached) and around the edges of the rim and I'll get some pics of the originals thick and thin spoked examples.

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Here is the Rare Spares wheel:

Posted Image

if you look close you can see the separation between wheel and boss

#32 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

and here's a well-worn original one piece:

Posted Image

Its probably easier to see with the horn piece removed though...

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

Posted Image
ORIGINAL THICK AND THIN SPOKES, YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE GROOVE AROUND THE RIM AND THE REAR OF THE WHEELS IS PART OF THE RIM AND COVERED WITH A GRAIN FINISHED RUBBER

Posted Image
MEASURING THE THIN SPOKE WHEEL
Posted Image
MEASURING THE THICK SPOKED WHEEL
Posted Image
SHOWING THE CENTRE CAP IN RELATION TO THE WHEEL, NOTICE A SMALL GAP. NO UGLY BOLTS HOLDING THE RIM TO THE BOSS AND THE BOSS AREA IS THE SAME DIAMETER ALL THE WAY ALONG

#34 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

correct, it wou;d have to meet ADR's, but the 3mm spokes were on the later wheels, thats not the real issue

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If the UC Torana wheels (3mm) still meet modern ADRs, then of course if you were to manufacture a new SL/R wheel, you would do it 3mm thick, so that it could legally fit both early and late (and potentially even brand new) cars. We agree on that, right?

#35 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

OK, Holden went to 3mm spokes in 78. ADR's changed at the time requiring the steering wheels to collapse easier in a crash plus most things went from imperial to metric around the same time (eg Commodore introduction metric stud pattern). What I would have to question is whether a copy would have to comply with todays rules or the rules of the car it was being fitted to. If it only had to say comply with the rules of an LX then you should be able to copy exactly.

#36 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

Okay, now I see what you are saying.

I was just thinking if you couldn't make a car that doesn't meet an ADR then why would you be able to make a component of a car that doesn't meet an ADR, but I don't know how the system works there. And if you made a 3mm one then it could be fitted to early and late cars (such as HZ GTS?) so you don't need to produce two seperate wheels. But yeah all good, cheers

#37 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

I think most people know my opinion on these, I'd pay double if it was correct, but I refuse to pay $300 for something thats not correct. However, in saying that, I'm fussy, and I'm not saying it's poor quality, what i am saying is if you are going to copy something, make it correct. For the record, 3mm spokes were introduced with the UC and HZ, the older wheels are not 5mm thick, they are imperial 3/16 from memory I could be wrong there I'd have to measure it. It would have to be a very late LX to have the metric wheel.

Both of mine are 3/16 of a inch.. which if my maths is correct is 4.762mm thick.

one 1974
two 1975

Edited by darrenmark1, 23 January 2009 - 07:14 AM.

#38 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hi all
Well, it's trial fitted and I'm not so sure about things. There seems to be a fraction too much friction where the back of the wheel touches the cover of the column, it's definitely an Interference Fit which seems strange doesn't it?? This is the case even when the nut is not torqued up. Was never an issue with the Momo.

Cheers
Harve

Posted Image

#39 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

This is the story as far as I know GMH gave us permission to use the original tooling for the GTS wheel, we had Bridgestone make them for us using the 3mm spoke. The tooling for the spokes broke sometime later and Rare Spares took over the production of the spoke. We had production runs with the Bridgestone spoke and then the Rare Spares spoke; I am not sure how many of each where actually produced. The next problem we had was the hub tooling it had be come unusable and had to be repaired being GMH tooling we had to get their permission . When we finally got the ok to fix the tooling the company that originally did the hub and spoke (one piece moulding) no longer wanted to do it. After many months we still had not found any one able to do the moulding, in the mean time Bridgestone had returned the rest of the tooling to GMH (unbeknown to us) where it was dumped. Now we had a bigger problem no GTS wheels and Bridgestone where not that interested in making a wheel using this outdate method, we had no one to make the hub and no tooling. So we started from scratch to make a repro wheel, a wheel that we have to sell to the majority of people at a price they can afford.
We possibly could have made it closer to original but not in Australia and even in Asia we could not have produced it and sold it at its current price or any where close to it, I suggest that it would be twice the price or even more it is along time since we priced it. So we compromised as we sometimes have to do or we do not have the product I think it is a good product and I release that not everybody will be satisfied but the bottom line is we can not make it as per original.
Les

#40 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but just wondering how the steering wheel is going?

#41 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

yeh i had an original wheel on an lh slr. young bloke jumps in an says , at least get get a good steering wheel an do up the car real good'

#42 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:12 PM

[quote name='les' date='21 February 2009 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1235212025' post='372580']
This is the story as far as I know GMH gave us permission to use the original tooling for the GTS wheel, we had Bridgestone make them for us using the 3mm spoke. The tooling for the spokes broke sometime later and Rare Spares took over the production of the spoke. We had production runs with the Bridgestone spoke and then the Rare Spares spoke; I am not sure how many of each where actually produced. The next problem we had was the hub tooling it had be come unusable and had to be repaired being GMH tooling we had to get their permission . When we finally got the ok to fix the tooling the company that originally did the hub and spoke (one piece moulding) no longer wanted to do it. After many months we still had not found any one able to do the moulding, in the mean time Bridgestone had returned the rest of the tooling to GMH (unbeknown to us) where it was dumped. Now we had a bigger problem no GTS wheels and Bridgestone where not that interested in making a wheel using this outdate method, we had no one to make the hub and no tooling. So we started from scratch to make a repro wheel, a wheel that we have to sell to the majority of people at a price they can afford.
We possibly could have made it closer to original but not in Australia and even in Asia we could not have produced it and sold it at its current price or any where close to it, I suggest that it would be twice the price or even more it is along time since we priced it. So we compromised as we sometimes have to do or we do not have the product I think it is a good product and I release that not everybody will be satisfied but the bottom line is we can not make it as per original.
Les
[/quote]

good on yer les . i am glad a company has come on board to this website and address issues instead of just a bunch of people whinging

[quote name='HRV74' date='11 February 2009 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1234348302' post='369864']
Hi all
Well, it's trial fitted and I'm not so sure about things. There seems to be a fraction too much friction where the back of the wheel touches the cover of the column, it's definitely an Interference Fit which seems strange doesn't it?? This is the case even when the nut is not torqued up. Was never an issue with the Momo.

Cheers
Harv

Edited by stu.slr, 16 October 2009 - 11:21 PM.

#43 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

Posted Image
[/quote]

#44 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

screwed up the post, trying to edit how i didnt realise the aftermarket wheel had a boss kit, to me that sucks. didnt read the whole thread sorry

#45 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hi all
Rare Spares happily replaced the original wheel that I bought some months ago, they suspect that the spline was not quite machined correctly, but that this was a one-off problem. Haven't even tried the replacement yet, will post the result when I do.

Cheers, H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users