- - - - -

Yet another Hatch rebuild

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#51 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

looking real good paul.are u useing moog ball joints ?

#52 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:24 AM

Shiny is good! I like!

#53 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

Keep posting pics for us to oggle at thanks Paul, it is loking really good keep it up

#54 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

looking real good paul.are u useing moog ball joints ?

Thanks Chris, I just spoke to Chris from Pedder�s Southport this afternoon and he gave me an all up price for the front end rubbers and bushers, springs front and rear, & shocks all round,
Springs are pedders (low enough to suit 17"), shocks, cant remember what they are something MAX I think, I have it written down at the factory, rubbers are urethane and bushers are rubber :blink: . Will have to ask him about the ball joints.

So the recommendation it MOOG? why is that?

I went to the panel beater, he did nothing over the last 2 weeks, I just expect that to happen now, it helps to soften the reality, but am at the stage where I need the car, I pretty much have everything to put into the ol girl.

Dropped the sway bar off at the powder coaters, it will be a fancy pants red, looks like a metallic red, think it will look good against the black cross member.
The 9" was going to be picked up tomorrow (Saturday) but won�t be ready until Wednesday. I got him to shorten it by an inch each side, I want to get a deeper dish, I kind of like that look. :rockon:

Your right MRLXSS, Shiny is good. I just want to make the areas that you can see, shiny, I don�t want to have the under side of the car shiny, it will be stone guarded, I want to drive this thing so if you lift the bonnet you should see shiny :spoton:

Thanks Cruiza, Ill defiantly keep it up, it just seems to be the contractors I use that slow me down, but it will happen, not at toranafest, but at around Christmas time, Merry Christmas to me LOL.

Thanks again for the great support I receive from all the members.
Cheers Paul.

#55 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

Another update.....

I went to the Panel Beaters again today as I do every Friday, he's spent a bit of time on the car over the last couple of weeks, doing the fiddle stuff like getting rid of the residue left from the soda blasting.
Posted Image
The steel came up like new, I couldn�t believe how good it looked.
Posted Image

He�s filled in the unwanted holes in the engine bay and etch-primed it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

When I made the battery tray I thought it was OK, not too happy with it.
Posted Image
But after today�s visit, I�m quite rapped with how it turned out.
Posted Image

This will make some people cringe, but, the guards were cut this week and I am happy with the way Jay went about it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The flares and spoiler from John Wilson fit extremely well, If you are after fibreglass bits do your self a favour and call John from Wilson fibreglass.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The next photos are flares from an Adelaide Based company that I purchased earlier this year, straight up, they just don�t fit and cost more than John's.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I can�t wait to put some rubber under those flares. :3gears:
Posted Image
Posted Image

That�s all for now, but will keep you all posted.

Cheers Paul.

#56 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

Very nice, any chance of a close up pic of how well those rear flares actually do fit?

#57 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

I didnt take any photos upclose, but will do for you next week.

#58 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

The cars looking great Paul. :spoton:

Love the flares, hatchbacks just have to have them. :rockon:

Mick.

#59 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

+1^
good work paul

#60 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Looking Tops! A naked hatchback always looks good!

#61 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Mick, Chris & Matt,

Yeah Mick the flares make it look tough, I stood there looking at it for ages, It just looks awesome even as it stands with no paint, Maybe I should go the rat rod look :blink:

Hay Chris, How�s yours going, have you worn the shine of the driver�s seat yet? The photos of it with the two bikes look brilliant.

Matt when do we see the photos of the antelope with flares :tease:

The interior for the hatch is due to leave Eastern Auto today (28-08-09) and I am suppose to pick up the diff tomorrow, they stuffed up one of the axels, just another setback that we all can relate to and the front end will be finished next week.

Cheers.

#62 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

Matt when do we see the photos of the antelope with flares :tease:

LOL, As much as i really want to Flare it, whack some 15x10's on it and go crazy.... I'll be keeping it flareless.... And Then probably just try and squeeze some big wheels under the wheel arches!

Can't wait to see how your trim looks!

#63 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:58 AM

hi paul.im turning into a scardy cat,with my car.i havent driven it nearly as much as i thought i would.

paul is eastern going to fit the skins to the seats.im just woundering what exactly eastern is going to do for u ?

any pics of the front end,and how did u go with the moog ball joints.ill be keen to see how your front end wheel aligns.i need no shims ether side.perfect both sides,to the mm

sounds like she will be a roller soon.

good luck and keep sloggin it out

#64 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hi Havnt had a look at this for a while, but glad I have looks really great, should be another really alsome car when it is finished, what colour are you going for?

Looking forward to seeing more pics soon

really soon

hurry up will ya

need more pic now!!!

#65 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

hi paul.im turning into a scardy cat,with my car.i havent driven it nearly as much as i thought i would.

paul is eastern going to fit the skins to the seats.im just woundering what exactly eastern is going to do for u ?

any pics of the front end,and how did u go with the moog ball joints.ill be keen to see how your front end wheel aligns.i need no shims ether side.perfect both sides,to the mm

sounds like she will be a roller soon.

good luck and keep sloggin it out

Eastern are only supplying the interior and I have a trimmer lined up here to fit the skins to the seats, yeah no good with the moog's, the only ones they could get are from the states for a chev, didn't know if they fit, take too long to get here, any other excuse they may dream up and with a bit of luck may get it back next week along with the bloody diff, apparently Pete is going to drop it off to me at the factory on Tuesday (only taken 6 to 8 weeks) and the interior should have left Vic Friday 28th, so that should arrive next week, also couldn�t contact Jay (panel beater) last Thursday as Friday was Gold Coast Show Day, so I don�t know what progress if any he has made.
Be brave Chris, and take a video camera (are they still called that?) with you and post to YouTube that way I can watch Hatchman�s and yours until mine is ready. :rockon:

Hi Havnt had a look at this for a while, but glad I have looks really great, should be another really alsome car when it is finished, what colour are you going for?

Looking forward to seeing more pics soon

really soon

hurry up will ya

need more pic now!!!

Hay Michael,
Its going to be another rare as hens teeth white with blackouts hatch :tease: only cause the tags are Cotillion.
Hoping next week I'll have more photos to post so I can do a bit of an update.
"Hurry up will ya" man I say that all the time to the people that are doing various things all they say is :spit: yeah right.
It will happen, It will be finished, one day.

#66 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

hi paul
this may help with the ball joints if its not to late
http://www.gmh-toran...1&view=&hl=moog ball joints&fromsearch=1
i bought mine from rare spares.
paul there is some video fotage of my car.one of the motor bikes i came up with, had a helmet mounted video camera.and we drove up the old pacfic hwy,not the freeway.

#67 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Do you have a link for the video Chris?
Went to the Jimboomba swap meat today and saw some LH - UC castelated nut balljoints from WASP but I already have the other type fitted, Its always the way.

#68 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

It�s been a little while and there has been a little progress to match.

The rear of the car has been filed and spray puttied, last time I went down and looked (about a month ago) he was up to the passenger side door.Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The seat skins and carpet arrived a couple of weeks back.Posted Image
Posted Image

Picked up the trailing arms today, I think they came up bloody nice.Posted Image
Posted Image

And one of our clients came in with a little box with 4 pot Brembo's in them :Buddy: . Apparently they are from an Indy car :dontknow: Posted Image
Posted Image

And the diff has been only 3 months so far, so it should show up any year now. :nada:
As every one knows you have to cook a Torana slowly for it to turn out sweet. :rockon:

Cheers Paul.

#69 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

Progress is looking great. Looking forward to the day some colour goes on?

#70 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi all,
A little bit has happened since last time I updated.
The seat skins were fitted to the seats, Eastern auto does a fantastic job they fit and look perfect.
The photos are from my phone camera, the quality is a bit ordinary.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The panel beater has had some health issues of late, but still was able to make some progress and started the paint, cheering. :nudie:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Not much else has happened, other than picking up a few bits and pieces, hopefully more paint goes on soon.
Cheers Paul.

#71 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hi All, another little update. Slowly but surly the body is getting finished.

We have some colour :party: it looks brilliant even though its not painted completely.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used stainless steel dome head bolts for the flares with captive nuts. The stainless against the white looks great.
The panel beater still has to paint the 2 doors, nosecone, bonnet & hatch, he says about two weeks till its finished (body/paint work) but well see, his estimation in the past has not been too flash, but still he has done a top job, I�m very happy with his work.

Hopefully I will be able to give you another update soon

Cheers Paul.

#72 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

Looking good! :rockon:

#73 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

really coming together now paul.looks great.

im still waiting for that tank thingy.

cant go wrong with the stainless bolts.did u use anti seaz ?.u dont want any binding in the rear wheel archs in the future

#74 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Mick, I was stoked when I saw it this morning, its just so close to coming home, I cant wait, two weeks it seems so far away, like Christmas when I was a kid. :bliss:

Hi there Chris,
Yeah it�s starting to look familiar ay. There is still a bit of time before the tank seat (?) would be needed, I still have to weld up the tank and all the little fittings, plenty of time. Ill get onto that anti seaz tomorrow before I forget.

How�s SSTORY been? Still enjoying the ride? :driving: Or have you been head down ass up with work now that she�s on the road?

#75 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Wow Paul, looks awesome. You're going to have a really nice car when it's finished. It's nice to see another hatch with a proper gearbox too : )

You're right about the Adelaide mob who makes the flares. My brother bought some for his car and I had to cut and refibreglass every one of them.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users