is the L34 the most collectable holden? (roadvehicle)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#51 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

I agree with it being the most collectable.

It has a limited run, unique engine, flares and a HO pack. No other car has all of these items.

However its not the most practical car to own, its a rolling museum piece at best.

James

put excellently, :clap:

I agree with above statement.

the prob with this thread is it certainly went emotional

ie. fastest, best looking, quicker, i'd love, etc.

#52 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

I agree with it being the most collectable.

It has a limited run, unique engine, flares and a HO pack. No other car has all of these items.

However its not the most practical car to own, its a rolling museum piece at best.

James

That is all very true. However that list of "criteria" is not exactly fair to other collectable cars as they exist because of a collection of circumstances (including shortcomings in the car), not because they were done to make it the "best".
For example the following fulfill all but one:

The XA RPO83 is very similar to L34 in it's application and is equally collectable but didn't need flares to accomodate bigger rubber. The A9X didn't need a "HO pack" as the L34 had already homologated those parts.
The HT GTS350 didn't have flares because wide racing rubber wasn't allowed in series production.
VC Brock didn't need a HO pack as Group C allowed engine mods.

#53 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

This is really an emotional topic. :cry:

Without going all physiological, the answer lies in the eyes of the beholder. :blink:

For me its an A9X hatchback but the unsung hero is the L34 as it provided the heart to the A9X.

Cheers Mick.

Edited by lxsstorana, 29 January 2009 - 11:40 AM.

#54 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

For me its an A9X hatchback but the unsung hero is the L34 as it provided the heart to the A9X.

I have to disagree on this statement as the L34 motor was never fitted to an A9X.

By the time A9Xs were raced the rules had changed making it unnecessary to put a factory A9X on the race track, as long as the parts were homologated they could be used.

And a GMP&A shell is not an A9X, its a spare part with a driveline and trim added.

When the XC and XD were raced Ford wasnt even making a GT.

James

Edited by JBM, 29 January 2009 - 10:13 PM.

#55 muzzta

muzzta

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

In full jest mode,
'm HOPING..... the most collectible car in the torana range will be the "TA" (2 door)
Only 11,000 odd made, 9,000 odd sold in oz.
A COLLECTOR will have his lc / lj / lh / lx / uc / BUT without the TA is the collection complete.
I say NO. :spoton:
A collection can only be complete when all models are in the shed.
Anyone wanna buy an original TA 2 door road regoed, for a few grand? lol
Muz

#56 VIXL34s

VIXL34s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name:jeff
  • Car:2x L34s,+ HZ GTS, A9X HATCH.A9X SEDAN

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:37 PM

great discussion on a great car. l34s for me as i bought one brand new in march 1975, united motors/holden in adelaide. i did not require any special license to make the purchase and i did ask about it at the time. guaranteed to do 143 mph in stock with 2.78 diff, and it did plus a wee bit more. to the so called experts who state the l34 was no quicker than a standard 308, i am afraid you dont know what your talking about. in my case both motors in stock form, the l34was a much better performer, sorry been there and seen it a long time ago. yes i do still have an l34 today although not my original, still looking kind regards jeff

#57 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:00 AM

In full jest mode,
'm HOPING..... the most collectible car in the torana range will be the "TA" (2 door)
Only 11,000 odd made, 9,000 odd sold in oz.
A COLLECTOR will have his lc / lj / lh / lx / uc / BUT without the TA is the collection complete.
I say NO. :spoton:
A collection can only be complete when all models are in the shed.
Anyone wanna buy an original TA 2 door road regoed, for a few grand? lol
Muz

Ya forgot the HB Muz... :tease:

#58 muzzta

muzzta

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Sorry mate,
Wouldn't let me edit it, I did try and didn't want to leave the HB out.
Some quick HB's running down the 1/4 mile.
Muz

Edited by muzzta, 30 January 2009 - 06:32 AM.

#59 _MR & MRS L34_

_MR & MRS L34_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

Having owned a SLR 5000 ,L34 and a A9X all second hand 2 owner cars mine you in standard trim no modifications i would say the L34 was a lot more powerful than the other 2 but the L34s reliability is a bit low i think this is why i think they will never really be up there with a A9X or a XU1 in value. In saying that i wish i still had my A9X which i sold in 1989 for around $11000 :cry: {cry cry) so i do not think i will able to afford another one with a wife and 3 kids to support, but i still have the L34 which sits in the back shed covered up. But hey they are all great cars built by holden and dont forget they are toranas...........

regards Pete..

#60 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

There are just a few things I have noticed here and a few of the old wives tales coming out again.
Firstly, there were no rule changes from L34 to A9X that allowed homolgation of parts, that was always the case and ongoing. The L34 engine was already homologated with the LH SLR5000 with L34 option. The A9X was officially an option on the LX SLR5000 or SS with the 5000cc engine fitted, the same as the L34 was officially an option on the LH SLR5000. The A9X was simply an evolution of the L34 option which meant better suspension and brakes (rear discs and the much better sailsbury diff). The T10 gearbox was also made a dealer fitted option (the same as the HO kit on an L34). NO L34 or A9X left the factory with HO kit or T10. The L34 in factory showroom spec was no rocket ship, in fact with the same 2.78 rear end as the LH SLR5000, it was actually slower over the quarter mile, thats a fact. It's great to put all the good bits in an engine, but when you choke it with a tiny intake for the aircleaner and reduce the exhaust down, well Holden achieved their aim of avoiding another supercar scare put it that way.
It's quoted in various books around the place the L34 and LH SLR5000 had exactly the same horsepower. It's also quoted that with the introduction of ADR27A, the LX SLR5000 lost power over the LHSLR5000. The LX SLR5000 and A9X are both quoted at exactly the same horsepower as well. If this is true, the A9X would have been down a little on power from the L34. By the time the A9X was released, the 308 block was the same as that used in the L34 and the crackshaft was improved over the L34 due to a series of failures. With this in mind it wouldn't take much to bring the power up and you now have a car that goes as well, handles better and pulls up better, thats what evolution is all about. Of course, the L34 engine did have all the good internals, so similar simple mods would make the thing really go in a straight line, and of course that baffled sump would be better in the corners.
As for the GMP&A shells not being an A9X, well the 33 rolling shells were a complete car except for the engine, gearbox and a few minor items. they had all the A9X suspension and rear floor pan mods, diff, brakes etc.
I'm not putting the L34 down by any means, just stating some facts.

#61 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

ok now thats all cleared up back to the question.

is the L34 the most collectable holden? (roadvehicle)

keep emotions, international vehicles out of equation, and try to create a personal criteria that you believe would really forfill the most collectable holden, ford, or aus car. not just fastest or good looking or 1 or 2 great features.

every legit post so far (in my mind) just further strengthens the L34's position.

#62 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

to me like said before my old factory 350 4door HQ MONARO GTS,4speed muncie car one of only 53 ever made was my most collectable car for me and the owner of a few L34s myself..

#63 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

great discussion on a great car. l34s for me as i bought one brand new in march 1975, united motors/holden in adelaide. i did not require any special license to make the purchase and i did ask about it at the time. guaranteed to do 143 mph in stock with 2.78 diff, and it did plus a wee bit more. to the so called experts who state the l34 was no quicker than a standard 308, i am afraid you dont know what your talking about. in my case both motors in stock form, the l34was a much better performer, sorry been there and seen it a long time ago. yes i do still have an l34 today although not my original, still looking kind regards jeff

welcome VIXL34's - pleased to hear you still have an L34 - the pick of the bunch for sure - if you want to advise the details of your original one - colour etc - I am sure there may be some leads for you on here. Also interested to know colour of your current car,

cheers

#64 VIXL34s

VIXL34s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name:jeff
  • Car:2x L34s,+ HZ GTS, A9X HATCH.A9X SEDAN

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

thankyou KERM 74 , my original l34 was barbados, eng no HZ13024, SA rego SNY 107, i still have certificate of reg renewal dated 11/3/77. i cant quote the vin as it is not on rego paper, l34 guru & freind wayne from mount barker can check records and possibly identify that way. it may have been j432521 but i have too many bits of paper and i am not sure. low & behold i traded it on a stilwell ford 4 door cobra. the l34 that ihave now is also barbados, its a great colour. personally it would be great to have a HO shaker in the shed alongside the l34, but as there are a lot more models of GTs i think that makes the l34 torana even rarer. thats my bit regards jeff

#65 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

hi VIXL34S,....your old L34s previous rego's were PBG-251 and MHW-230 the CHASSIS NO ALH007935M ENG NO HZ13024 This info is about 20years old,..it appears to me its a very early build one maybe 7/74..i hope this helps...i myself have owned 3 barbados green L34s and can tell you I'm over that colour...I'm very biased when it comes to these brutes,...i still own 3 L34s yellow,mandarin red and a burgundy track pack...if anybody out there is seriously interested in owning one I'm selling my red one soon,it has a very good history first 6 years of its life serviced by DICK JOHNSON...
getting back to this topic of collectable its a very interesting topic debate,...the L34 Torana is the least known about genuine muscle car in Australia,..nobody can tell you the exact numbers that were built,..they say 260 odd to 263.. 280etc.. these figures have been around since i owned my first one in the early 80s...73 bathurst XU1s are documented and known by there engine numbers,..A9X hatchbacks are accounted for plus the 28 or 33 lightweight GMPA bodyshells...the L34 TO ME IS UNIQUE AND COLLECTABLE in my own personal opinion...but i am biased having owned A9Xs and XU1s in the gmh range..

#66 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:20 AM

Does anyone know what the rarest Holden production car is? That doesn't include HDT's, HSV's etc.
I'd have to say my HSV is a fairly rare thing though since we are talking rare and collectable cars. Mines the last of the stroked 304's in a Senator with the six speed and the optional Coulson leather seats. I'm told only 30 stroker 6 speed Senators were made, all with different options. Also in 1998, HSV made 10 10th aniversary Senators. Most were special orders, David White from channel 10 had number 10 and it was the only one with cloth trim. A radio celeb from Melbourne got number 1 and it was the only manual made.
100 A9X hatches were made plus 33 rolling race shells and 8 spares. About half those hatches are accounted for and some of the race shells. Quite a few so called ex race cars out there have clouds of doubt over them.

#67 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

Does anyone know what the rarest Holden production car is? That doesn't include HDT's, HSV's etc.
I'd have to say my HSV is a fairly rare thing though since we are talking rare and collectable cars. Mines the last of the stroked 304's in a Senator with the six speed and the optional Coulson leather seats. I'm told only 30 stroker 6 speed Senators were made, all with different options. Also in 1998, HSV made 10 10th aniversary Senators. Most were special orders, David White from channel 10 had number 10 and it was the only one with cloth trim. A radio celeb from Melbourne got number 1 and it was the only manual made.
100 A9X hatches were made plus 33 rolling race shells and 8 spares. About half those hatches are accounted for and some of the race shells. Quite a few so called ex race cars out there have clouds of doubt over them.

Here are a couple:

HJ LS 202 - 81.
HQ XW8 manual - 54 (212 approx total).
HQ XX7 6cyl - quantity unknown but rare as hell especially today.
HK-HG V8 panel van.
HK 6cyl Kingwood sedan with 186S and/or Saginaw. Or 307 Saginaw for that matter.

#68 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

The one Holden quotes isn't there. We are talking a single model, not a number made in manual etc.

#69 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

OK my bad. I thought when you were talking about a 5.7 6spd in a Senator that you meant engine/gearbox combos.

If you were to include HSV's you'd have to include other Holden variants so I'd say a HZ 1-tonner Overlander. Only 6 made.

A V8 in an early Holden from HT to HQ is a separate model so a HT or HG V8 panelvan would be close (maybe 150 of each).
Maybe a 5litre LH that isn't an SL/R but that isn't a separate model.
A HQ Belmont wagon in a V8 would be very rare. There were also 4 x HQ Premier wagons made with 350's but again not a different model to 253 and 308.
The HQ Ewet was very rare with only 2 made, but this wouldn't count as a production car or you'd have to then include the GTR-X.

But if we talk a vehicle series eg HQ, VK etc maybe a Suburban or a K20? One of the Bedfords?

#70 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

I'll give you a hint, it's late 80's

#71 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

hi VIXL34S,....your old L34s previous rego's were PBG-251 and MHW-230 the CHASSIS NO ALH007935M ENG NO HZ13024 This info is about 20years old,..it appears to me its a very early build one maybe 7/74..i hope this helps...i myself have owned 3 barbados green L34s and can tell you I'm over that colour...I'm very biased when it comes to these brutes,...i still own 3 L34s yellow,mandarin red and a burgundy track pack...if anybody out there is seriously interested in owning one I'm selling my red one soon,it has a very good history first 6 years of its life serviced by DICK JOHNSON...
getting back to this topic of collectable its a very interesting topic debate,...the L34 Torana is the least known about genuine muscle car in Australia,..nobody can tell you the exact numbers that were built,..they say 260 odd to 263.. 280etc.. these figures have been around since i owned my first one in the early 80s...73 bathurst XU1s are documented and known by there engine numbers,..A9X hatchbacks are accounted for plus the 28 or 33 lightweight GMPA bodyshells...the L34 TO ME IS UNIQUE AND COLLECTABLE in my own personal opinion...but i am biased having owned A9Xs and XU1s in the gmh range..

Cant say I have seen a burgandy L34. barbados is the most common colour, but by far the best. Other interesting colours: silver (seen 1) and black (still havnt seen one of these). Azure is great also and have seen a few of these.

#72 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:03 AM

I'll give you a hint, it's late 80's

Lost me. One of the VL's? Or a VN limited edition of some sort?

#73 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

holden shuttle :)

#74 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

hey red,...would you be referring to the VL SV88 ...

#75 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

Haven't read much of this thread, but if prices are anything to go by, ex-Group C racing cars without cigarette advertising are the most collectable. There are two cars with cigarette advertising that go against this trend though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users