- - - - -

Rear Wheel Horse Power

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:31 PM

465 Holley would be way too big for the 202, would be a backward step.

#52 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, i donno, but again - it was only a suggestion!! Happy horsepower hunting fellas!! I know i am!

Keith

#53 _WYLDLC 6_

_WYLDLC 6_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

Keithy mate, you have tripples sitting there, you will never be happier.
They look sensational, they add power when set up right and you will love the induction noise at full rev's. I used to have a 350 holley now have webers and you can't wipe the smile off my face at 7000rpm. Just go for it.
Cheers Chris.

#54 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

Good Job keithy, I'd whack the triples on now, they WILL make a difference, As well as a bitta head work, and a cam, and ........ HEHE, $$$$

By the way, what'd it cost to get it on the dyno, I wanna have a go...

Cheers

Les

#55 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

Honestly, im keen to do it, but a bit further down the track!

The dyno cost $385, but that included pulling my carby down twice, new gaskets, labour to do it yadda yadda.... The cost to do a dyno tune and 3 power runs was $195...

#56 _WYLDLC 6_

_WYLDLC 6_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

Geez, I wish I went to your guy! That sounds quite resonable to set up tripples.
Good luck.
Chris.

#57 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

That was to do the 350 Holley... ;)

I think he has SU's and not webers... Personally I'd have the DCOE's but it comes down to $$$

#58 _WYLDLC 6_

_WYLDLC 6_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Good point. I obviosly didn't read it correctly :blink: But I wouldn't expect the price to be all that much different or would it, I don't know. Maybe I didn't do that bad then.
Cheers Chris.

#59 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:34 PM

Nice figures Keith, very much what i expected and if the dyno you used and the one i used are anywhere near similar figures you must have some fun suprising commodore owners ... i know i do :)

I originally had the 350 holley on my motor (unfortunately didn't dyno it though) and steped up to the VK EFI and it made a nice improvement, probably in the 10-15hp area, give or take a bit so you should notice a bit more from the su's, probably more top end but hey, why not :)

i've recently made some changes to the motor in the torry, its now running a smaller cam and VN V6 rockers which are 1.6:1 ratio, so im keen to throw it on the dyno in a few weeks time in the hope i will get a similar figure to the previous 132rwhp, it definately feels better ....

anyways enough of my dribble, good work!! look forward to seeing the quarter results after the dyno! :rockon:

#60 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

Thanks sammy! Sounds like your into the d.i.y mods for the torry! Nice to see!

As i stated, the dyno bloke would be happy to tune the eyeballs out of it if i had fuel injection and an aftermarket computer!! He rekons i'd see close to a 40rwkW gain (so... about 180 - 190rwHP all up then)...

I dont wanna ruin the heritage of the old girl, so im gonna stay carby though... For a 350 Holley on a 186cu motor - them's some good power outputs!!

Keith

#61 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

that still enough power to have fun with in an everyday car. My 202 with similar specs and carby made 138rwhp in a vk commy. Bolted to a manual=pleanty of fun :rockon:

#62 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:40 PM

Oh hell yeah! Not bad for a 186cu motor eh! Its not speed im chasing, i love sound of a well tuned motor cruising around, but when i want to give it a boot - i want the boot to be good! My mates call me nana cos i drive like a granny most of the time!! i respect my pride and joy too much to flog it all the time!

Keith

#63 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

i understand where your coming from .... i guess the fuel injection bug for me comes from the interest (and work) in computers.

anyways i had a opel 4 cylinder in my car so i've #@$^%& all originality just by removing that :D

im in the process of fitting the VN commodore computer throttle body and sensors to a holden 6, im hoping the tunability of it will give me some ponies along with the fact it wont have the restrictive air flow meter ..... so yeah, intersting times to come ... if i could get anything like 20hp more out of it i would truely be cheering!

#64 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:02 AM

not bad man! would be good to see the old banger one day! where you live?

#65 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

I live in newcastle.

#66 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:42 PM

Ok, well if im ever down that way, ill let you know and stop over eh!

Keith

#67 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

sounds good to me!

#68 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

Hey Keith, I'm hoping to get my 202 dynoed before the rb30et goes in, but i was wondering if you could tell us your compression ratio and cam size (50" duration and lift)?? I have a pretty similar engine to yours except that i'm running a 465 holley (and it runs great on this engine), but am trying to get a better idea of what my engine might pull at the wheels. My car has only run a 16.1 400m meters, but i reckon it'd do 15.5 at the quickest. I would have pulled a 15.7 or close to that but silly me missed 3rd gear and my mate F**D did 15.8 (while i was a couple of car lengths in front!), haha, anyways, any ifno would be great

PS i have 10.3:1 comp, and a 222 degree @.050", and .448" lift cam.

#69 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

Here's my cam specs... Compression is 10.0:1

Note: same for intake and exhaust - all figures that is...

Duration - In & Ex 280
0.050 Duration - In & Ex 217
Cam lift - In & Ex 286
Valve lift - In & Ex 456
Lobe spread - 111

#70 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

im guessing by the quarter mile time 15/16's you've be looking at about 100-120hp at the wheels ....

with a cam that big and making those times sounds like you either have the wrong gearing or the head is not up to it. .... rb30 with a few tweaks should go well :)

#71 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hey Sammy, I've got a celica 5spd, and 3.5:1 9" diff (single spinner but). I only got about 5 runs down the 1/4 at calder that night, have much to learn about launching at proper drag strips. Most of the time it would just spin when trying to launch at about 3500rpm. On the street 3-3500rpm seems to work best with a tiny it of slipping, or it might chirp a little. Seemed like calder was more slippery than the average set of lights! Unless the clutch was slipping a bit, i couldnt smell it. If i could take off like Keith, it'd be a good ET (for the 202 anyway!) Catch

Edited by NVMYLH, 05 April 2006 - 07:52 PM.

#72 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

Ha, i find it the same as you NVMYLH... I tried launching at 3500rpm... 4000rpm.... no go! I did not get a single bit of traction through first or second gear launching at those revs (i tried launching in 2nd gear too)...

I launch at 1500rpm and stomp it as the clutch is going out, get wheelspin still, but better traction through first...

I could let my tyres down a bit and get a higher rpm launch... i run 24psi in the rears at the drags... I'm gonna start running 20psi, or 16psi...

Keith

#73 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

yeah its a hard one to pick, especially since we all have different cam rpm ranges ... i know personally for my car at the lights a 2000-2500rpm launch with a slight ride of the clutch is the best way to get off the line, the drivers wheel spins for a few meters then off she goes .... i would love to have an LSD, i reckon i would be able to get off the line great that way.

what type of tyres do you guys run ? i have bridgestone SF340 Eagers and they seem to hook up pretty well, i know the Yokies are a bit softer tyre and good for grip but i prefer the all round performance of the eagers .... well used to ... i will have to find an alternative now that theres no more made for my 13's!

#74 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

I'm runing Sumitomo htr-200's. 215/60r15 but they are getting changed for 225/50's soon. If i try and launch at under 2500rpm, it usually dies down a bit unless i slip the clutch a fair bit to keep the revs up. I think i was running about 28psi at the drags so i dont think that wouldve helped much. Plus i barely warmed them up, didnt do a burnout on some of the runs. With the new engine on the way i dont think i'll get much practice with this 1. i'll just get it dynoed to compare.

#75 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:01 PM

I'm running the one and only's.... Yokohama A509's in 225/60/14 all round! I do a small burnout at the pad (not much smoke - street tyres = legal tread), then launch below 2500rpm... Im not a fan of the Brigestone Eagers... But the A509's are no longer in production, so it looks like there's no option anymore...

NVMYLH, you'll be surprised the difference a couple of psi in the rears will make! Try dropping them to 24psi, then 20... Times and 60 footers will drop!

Cant wait to hear the new motor's times, keep us updated!

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users