L32

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

a v8 torana is a v8 torana.what more could you want.

dave

#27 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hey look even the A9X needed improvements to race, now I'm not saying that they are a bad car it is just that I view them as a factory platform to build a real car.
Having said that I would have a 253 over a 202 or starfire any day of the week.

#28 _JadeGreenLHSLR_

_JadeGreenLHSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

I rekon its Beause 253s are or will be in the future harder to get bacause any rev head that brought one put a inj 5 LTR in them usually and thus this causes original examples to escalate in value. make sence?

#29 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

^ doubt it.

Still a tenner.

Cheers.

#30 _426_

_426_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

At the end of the day, unless you buy a car that actually once physically raced at Bathurst, you'r paying for letters and numbers.
People will pay more for a totally rusty and ruined SLR5000 than for a mint S model, why... because of letters and numbers.
You could even get a high optioned car and a low optioned car, swap all the parts and people will still pay more for the letters.

They're just digits.

:spoton:

#31 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

^ Think i like this guy, he seems to have a brain when it comes to all of this stuff.

Cheers.

#32 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

^^ Agreed. He is one of the only new members which actually makes a valid point in a thread and doesnt start a shit fight! Good to have you onboard!

#33 _426_

_426_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

^&^^ Cheers guys.

Here's a thought... Say you have a high spec car, you bend the front guard so you replace it with a guard off a low spec car, your car is still a high spec car yeah.
Ok say your beaver panel rusts out so you de-stitch it and replace it with a panel off a low spec car... your car is still a high spec car.
How many panels can you replace before your car is no-longer a high spec car???... Well as long as the numbers say its high spec car, it still is.
By law you are alowed to replace any panels to repair your car and its still the same car as long as you dont cut and weld the numbers.
SO really the only panel in a high spec car is the panel with the chasis number as it is the only panel that physically seperates it from the panels on a low spec car.

The panels in a low spec car are made from the same steel, in the same molds at the same factories.

:wtf:
........... :)

#34 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

A really good poin there 426. ^^^^^
There was discussion on that topic a whyle ago here in regards to bathurst A9X's and L34's that were cut and shut with a SL or S model car after they had been slamed into a barrier.

I think in the end it came down to who owned/drove and built the car, gave it value even thoe it had been cut up and smashed.

Evan.

#35 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Maybe expand the question a bit:

Why do people get all excited about anything with a 253, not just L32? For example would an L33 plated car be as exciting as an L32? The same phenomenon isn't just restricted to baby Holdens. Original 253 HT-HZ Monaros, GTS's, Sandmans etc also get people excited. Remember that an original 253 example is much better than one with a 161 or 173! Especially a 173 4spd 4 wheel drum HQ Sandman, or 161 3spd on the column, 4 wheel drum HK Monaro. Or a 202 auto SL/R for that matter - i'd personally prefer a factory 253 manual SL.

I am with you Yel,

I have several Torana's and my 4.2 auto SL is probably my favourate, I mean you could go to sleep driving the thing as it's so comfortable and I don't feel like my legs are around my ears like when I drive my LC.

For a small V8 it goes well and has plenty of power when needed!

Who gives a shit if it's an , GTR, XU-1, SLR, SLR 5000, L34, SS or A9X.

As long as the owner enjoys what he or she owns and continues to looks after these cars so the next generations can also enjoy them as we are not all just owners, id like to think we are simply caretakers of these great cars:spoton:

Attached are some pics of my SL.

Attached Files

Edited by 2600s, 15 April 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#36 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

WHO SAID AN L31 never won bathurst? I'll bet you a car tagged as an L31 won Bathurst anyway, several of them in fact. May not have been a bog stock L31 under the bonnet though :tease:

#37 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Red

I tried to list L31 plated cars that raced at Bathurst earlier in the thread, some are just speculation. Any comments on those? The 1973 and 1974 example I was referring to was the HQ GTS 4 door which from memory raced as a 308 in 1973 and a 350 in 1974.

Edited by yel327, 16 April 2009 - 09:35 AM.

#38 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

Yeah just having a look, the 78 and 79 A9X's are both tagged L31, the 1980 to 84 Commodores would be L31 as well. All those cars were just GMP@A shells afterall and no A9X has L34 on the tag. The 1980 car would have been the closest to a road going L31 as the group C rules were changed in 1980 to make the cars mechanically closer to the road going versions. I'm not 100% sure on the HQ, I do have an article on it somewhere, but can't remember what it said.

#39 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

re; L32 . mandarin factory v8 manual pov pak? im just slightly happier than the bloke with the mission brown 173 n tri on the tree :tease: or the dude with the yellow 1900 sunbudgie!

#40 Edk

Edk

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

i like a car untouched unmodified, so a stock slr5000 would be better than a full moch slr5000... but then again its a original for a torana but not for that "car"

i loved my moch slr5000 as much as anything, an it was shaped like a twisty

just numbers like sum1 said

#41 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

My LX SL 253 has been in the family for 32 years.....367,000 kms on the clock. Still got the sheepskin seat cover ( with soy sauce stains ) from 1978. Dints from white posts on the side of the road. Dints from cattle .Dint from kangaroo........... Great car for cruising. Sounds the business with extractors . Just goes and goes and goes and goes.............It wasn't built as a race car. Just a small family car.Thats all...... :D

#42 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

My brother went and checked out an L32 at Pickles at Geebung QLD...

http://www.pickles.c...2035599/lotid-0

well i told him it would be worth about $8000....so he went to the auction and had a close look...L32 with SLR 5000 stickers and a blue 308 wasn't quite what he wanted....and then he found out the owner knocked back an offer of $15000 and was holding out for $25000...I want what he's having!!!!

#43 _426_

_426_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

My LX SL 253 has been in the family for 32 years.....367,000 kms on the clock. Still got the sheepskin seat cover ( with soy sauce stains ) from 1978. Dints from white posts on the side of the road. Dints from cattle .Dint from kangaroo........... Great car for cruising. Sounds the business with extractors . Just goes and goes and goes and goes.............It wasn't built as a race car. Just a small family car.Thats all...... :D

Amen to that brother.

My brother went and checked out an L32 at Pickles at Geebung QLD...

http://www.pickles.c...2035599/lotid-0

well i told him it would be worth about $8000....so he went to the auction and had a close look...L32 with SLR 5000 stickers and a blue 308 wasn't quite what he wanted....and then he found out the owner knocked back an offer of $15000 and was holding out for $25000...I want what he's having!!!!

Its totally out of hand the way classic car prices have jumped in late years. Although its seemingly great for those selling or those who own said car, its stupid crazy greedy.
Sure these cars should apreciate in value, but c'mon, a million bucks for a XY GT... bullshit.

Good news is, the recent global financial crissis means people aren't so willing to hand over good money for classic car simpley because maybe they wanted one when they were younger. Because of this prices are going to drop... fingers crossed.

my 2 cents.

#44 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:12 PM

Yep I owned a LH L32 Man LSD SLR for 7 years...it was a great car.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

426 you seem to put people with cars all in the same basket , there are many people with classic cars , that aren't just thinking about the big dollars, If they were they would have sold them two years ago . I think classic original cars are something special , and the price goes with that , and they are all not put together with parts from other models .

Just my $2

#46 _426_

_426_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

426 you seem to put people with cars all in the same basket , there are many people with classic cars , that aren't just thinking about the big dollars, If they were they would have sold them two years ago . I think classic original cars are something special , and the price goes with that , and they are all not put together with parts from other models .

Just my $2

How so, as i never said ALL people with classic cars are thinking big dollars. Those words never left my mouth, don't put them there.

I also never said classic aren't worth good money, quite the oposite, good cars are worth good money.

What I said is that, in recent years, the value has bluntly shifted from the longterm trend of a steady, even increase to a sharp increase.
To be honest, i'm pissed becaused the dramatic increase has pushed some cars and parts out of my reach for now.
As you've said, they are special cars and I would like to enjoy one as my own.
For the record, I consider all classic cars, regardless of the spec, to be special. I enjoy the humble joy of driving a base model classic.
Sadly the price increase of the high spec models, pushes up the price of the base model classics as well.

So in short, I'm not trying to paint all car enthueists with the same brush, i'm just venting a little frustration.

:)

#47 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Who gives a shit if it's an , GTR, XU-1, SLR, SLR 5000, L34, SS or A9X.

As long as the owner enjoys what he or she owns and continues to looks after these cars so the next generations can also enjoy them as we are not all just owners, id like to think we are simply caretakers of these great cars:spoton:

Attached are some pics of my SL.

nice looking car 2600s. very very neat. did you restore it or manage to find it?
i agree on the debate of people buying cars purely for the numbers and it shits me to tears that they all carry on with so much shit. the average bloke on the street doesnt know or care of the tags or originality. all they care about is that its a sweet car.
i get thumbs up and comments on my lx quite often...i even had a bloke at a servo the other week say that its great to finally see a "real" torana. now the lx is 'only' an "S" model. povvo of the pov. doesnt even have a clock in the clock face area, but no one knows that. same bloke wouldve said that to an A9X owner and he would only judge his opinion on looks and not tags.
ive also got a gtr, now when i bought it i didnt really know or care, coz all i wanted was a 2 door that was or could be done upto an xu1 mock up. hell i even wanted to make it an lj coz lcs didnt really do it for me then...(now i love lcs more than anything). when i understood i had a genuine gtr it was cool and im going to be careful and look after it, but i would still love it even if it was just a standard 's' model lc. its all about the looks you get, the enjoyment you get from driving it and the self satisfaction that its YOUR pride and joy, and that others appreciate it too.

#48 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

Bought it and detailed the car. Removed the engine and painted the bay with BullitLJV8's help!

The interior is untouched just gave it a real good clean!

Alf :spoton:

#49 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

Factory V8... Enough said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users