lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

I had a great time at the drags, 1st time as a competitor and I really enjoyed it. :D

Like Mitch said, there were heaps of cars at WSID so waiting time was quite long but gave you time to have a chat.

I did two runs. First run up against Keith and I just followed his tail lights (to good for me Keith) but in my defence it was my first ever run. I stuffed up the start with over a 1 second reaction time and then blew a couple of fuses and had no dash lights or brake/tail lights. Anyway I ran a 16.4 and was happy with that as I only revved it to about 3,500 .

Second run was up against a new Commodore Clubsport who appeared from nowhere ( I was supposed to be racing Keith for a rematch). Hadn't fixed the electrical problem but ran 14.3 and only revved the motor to about 4,500 but it was hard to see without dash lights but good enough to beat him. (Reaction time was 0.88 still too slow)

Looking forward to the next run with some improved times. Should be able to get into the 12's if I learn how to drive and react quicker.

Great to catch other forum members. Here's some photo's from the night.

Cheers Mick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#102 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

Sweeet! Looks like fun guys!! Good stuff!

#103 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

I have a shitty quality video (only just realised how povo that feature on my povo phone is) of keith VS Mick!

was good to see everyone out and about, sucks about the lack of runs for the night though!

our trip home turned into a shitfight with roadworks every bloody 10ks on the freeway!

#104 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

Yeah was a great night met some great people there, thanks everyone for making the event so much more enjoyable, some cool forum Toranas too keeping the Torana legend alive. Great people great cars, can't get better than that. An 11sec time would've been good but then my hearts still pounding from nearly kissing the wall on my first run. I'm happy with a 12.7 but I'll be back with some better tyres next time. And some diff repairs too, I think I hurt the 9inch, the Torana has a vibration in the drive train now & oil leaking out the passenger side axle.

#105 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

that was a fantastic 1st meeting LH SLR 3300.impressive car,with plenty of potential for improvement on the 12.7.i was realy impressed with the engine bay work
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ass308, 09 April 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#106 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

Thanks mate, yeah good meeting & chatting with you. I love the pics, my brother-in-law video cammed my runs too so i'll try & get my wife to put it on the computer, she's the computer wiz in our house. Looking forward to catching up again & hopefully see your beast in the flesh. Sounds like it'll have the goods too. Got the bug to go racing again & chase that 11sec quarter. I think I'll try & find some radial street slicks first though so I don't end up looking at the wall again. Looks like the paint job is on the back burner for a few more weeks. Cheers Matt

#107 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

Good day out last nite i enjoyed myself good group guys gas bagging reasonably good track conditions,..my yellow L34 was very savage best run 11.6 at 117mph,.. last run torched it and ran 12.2 at 118 mph,.. the car was brutal and handful,..but i wouldn't have it any other way..thanks again guys but i think we should band together and organize a private track day instead joining that queue that resembled a circus..

#108 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

I agree about the private day! We were talking to Tiny about it last night... Would be good but we need definate entrants.

#109 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

I'll be up for that, want to run the L34 again, my 12.7 was at 113mph. If i can get my Torana out of the hole quicker it will be an interesting race.

#110 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

I'll be up for that, want to run the L34 again, my 12.7 was at 113mph. If i can get my Torana out of the hole quicker it will be an interesting race.

no problem,..you might get hole a tad quicker being a auto but your terminal speed is not enough to stay with my car,..113 mph should be able to get you a high 11 second pass...look forward to being out there again...if you have any pics of our race could you kindly post them..thanks

#111 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

My brother-in-law video cammed both my runs including my first against you. My wife is the computer wiz so I'll ask her to try & post the runs. No doubt your car was quicker than mine. My Torana runs a 4500rpm convertor, 3.5 gears & 235x60x15 Yokohama 352 radials. When I ran you I stalled it up which resulted in major wheelspin into second & nearly bending my car. Second run I eased off the line then gassed it. Don't know if I could match your times but if I ran slick tyres should come pretty close. Would be a good race to watch either way don't you think?

#112 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Hey everyone!

Once again it was great to catch up, and the steam has only just stopped coming out my ears from not being able to race on a night where the weather was SO good!

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves, especially those who races for the first time (Mick!) well done :)
Hope you got home ok with no tail lights too mate! I'd be interested to know what;s causing the fuse to blow!!

LH SLR 3300: I'm spewing i missed your first run, but the car sounds TOUGH as and it sounds like a *VERY* similar setup to mine! My honest impression given your MPH and setup is a high 11 the same as my car does. Grab those MT ET Street Radials theyre *AWESOME*. I'd say the thing holding your car back from serious mid/low 11s is the same as mine... Diff ratio! I'm running 3.7:1 on a 28" tall tyre, and my 60' is what's killing me. I really need to step up to something like a 4.11 or 4.3:1 ratio to see the maximum potential out of my combo. (and i think yours too!).

Anyway, Was good to meet you at the end of the night, Sorry for being a rude bugger and not formally introducing myself and Simmo!

Mitch and a few others have talked about a private track hire day, BUT the one thing that turns me off about that is the 11 sec cut off time! It would mean that valued members with some of the toughest NSW drag cars cant attend like Anthony ( who was there in HYP-400 running 9.8-9.9 all night!) and SUXGAS and a few others who would dearly love to race could not attend!
I dont know how to get around this problem other than to make them put in a throttle stop ( AS IF!! HAHAH!!), and just hold a day for the slower cars like ours.

Once again i really enjoyed the night and i'm STILL spewing i couldnt race, but next time!! the weather is coming around more too!

Cheers!

#113 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

I agree about the private day! We were talking to Tiny about it last night... Would be good but we need definate entrants.

Mitch, count me in for the Private day ( I need another 3 weeks to get my box repaired and back in and then I'll be right ).
I reckon we set a date, collect the cash up front and go from there.

Cheers

DD

#114 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

Once again i really enjoyed the night and i'm STILL spewing i couldnt race, but next time!! the weather is coming around more too![/quote]

You'll get your turn Tiny, and yes - the weather is coming around. I reckon a meeting in May would be sensational.

Cheers and catch ya soon.

DD

#115 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves, especially those who races for the first time (Mick!) well done :)
Hope you got home ok with no tail lights too mate! I'd be interested to know what;s causing the fuse to blow!!

Got home safely and thoroughly enjoyed the night. :D

Had a look at the car the next day and could only work out the problem was in the headlight wiring. Took it to an auto electrician and he found the problem pretty quickly.

I've got H4 headlights, the three prong attachments were fine but underneath you have the two spade connections for the parking lights. Some boof head (me :fool: ) put the wires around the wrong way causing the short.

All good now and ready for some more driving.

Mick.

#116 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

Ahh nice one mick! GLad you got it sorted though mate :) Geez the car looked Awesome too :)

Deedsy: Mate no stress, i cant organise anything straight away anyway, but i think we'll have to organise something! THere is another thread on it in the events section too, so i'll bump that and see what people want to do!

#117 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Tiny coming from you it means alot. All the people I met were great, very friendly & accepting I had a great time just meeting everyone & chatting. I was a little spaced out on adrenaline, wendsday night was the first time my Torana has been out of my suburb, drove it from Canterbury, & the first time I've ever driven it hard. I was crapping myself too so in all fairness to my car I think the driver's skills let it down a bit. I was looking forward to see you run, you're car is a beast. Would love to see how my Torana goes up against it knowing now they are very much on par with each other.
I'm a traffic light cowboy from way back so I love the quarter mile so I'm up for running any car in the name of fun. Too old & wise to do it on street any more. You know, I have a 4.11 spool centre but I wasn't game to fit it running street tyres. Glad I didn't would have one very bent Torana in my shed had I put it in. I think I'll leave the car the way it is for now untill I get used to it, M/Ts or similar are a must though I think. I'm waiting for my brother-in-law to come over with his video cam to see if I can put some good pics up. Be great to catch up again soon.

#118 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Here's some more photo's of some of our torana's in action plus a few others. Sample photo's from Cackling Pipes photography.
(Couldn't find photo's of keith1962 or LH SLR 3300)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#119 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi guys, just wondering how you fared with the pro light my best reaction time was a .257 pretty average, definitely no time to think, just react. Jeff

#120 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Didn't like it, my best reaction was .632 which is pretty dismal, but I'm still a beginer. I believe I could've done better under the original.

#121 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi guys, just wondering how you fared with the pro light my best reaction time was a .257 pretty average, definitely no time to think, just react. Jeff

I'll swap you reaction times Jeff. I did a 1.2 and a 0.88 which isn't very good but I didn't care.

People think I'm crazy having ago at this at age 49 but its something I've alway wanted to try. (must be the mid life crisis thing).

Matt - LH SLR 3300, I was abit concerned (and just between you and me maybe a little scared of what my car can do). I'm still learning how to drive if but have alot more confidence in it now after the first meeting. The car seems strong so I just have to pull my finger out and put the pedal to the floor.

The good news is I can pick up alot of time when I get used to the light system.

Just need more practise and to put the pedal to the metal.

Bring on the next meeting.

Mick.

Edited by lxsstorana, 10 April 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#122 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

Mick, I have great respect for you for getting out there & having a go. It's alot more nerve racking once you're in the line ready to run when you've never done it before. Plus racing a car you've spent countless hours & cash building & perfecting. I have raced before but in cars with no where near the amount of power my Torana has, so as you know I was nervous as hell to. Now that I've had a couple of runs I'm super keen to try improve on my skill & drive my car to it's potential. Slowly at first but having fun doing. Looking forward to catching up with you again & seeing you run your hatch again. Cheers Matt

#123 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

Hi all
My best PB was set on Wednesday nite 14.849 @ 92.31 mph (look out Herne)
hahaha. It was nice to meet Matt & his wife and no doubt that you and mick will get
better times in the future.

cheers keith

#124 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

Cheers Keith was a pleasure meeting you, I watched you race & I must say I was impressed for a stock SLR with 2.78 diff. High 14s is good I remember reading that a brand new A9X ran high 15s. Hope to see you out there again. Cheers Matt

#125 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:07 AM

Congratulations to all of you guys :clap:
It was great to meet so many people off the forum in one night and there are even a couple there that i didn't meet ,i think i was in a bit of a trance myself being around so many tough cars /street machines .
I couldn't believe the quality/quantity of cars racing on midweek non event night :spoton:
The track itself is very similar to the Motorplex which is what i had been told it is a great facility

I was very impressed with all of the Torries there there was heaps it would be awsome if we could do a recruitment drive on them - i reckon there would have been at least another 10-12 Toranas there not flying our flag.

What really impressed me was UncleFestas L34 running 11 seconds {with slicks} impressed :clap: mainly because it still runs L34 heads and L34 headers mechanical fuelpump which gives me inspiration for FATSLR when i get home as i had it in my head that i needed VN type heads and better exhaust Etc to get mine hopping.

I loved the engine bay in Matt's LH :spoton: very smooth i look forward to seeing what you run when you get your slicks and hook up

Keith's car and attitude was spoton just get in and drive no slicks or trricks just a big grin :tease:

I reckon Mick's hatch will run a good ET too just floor it mate :spoton:

Thanks again guys for a great night and another moment on my trip which i will cherish :spoton:

Garth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users