Any other UC owners feeling left out?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

With the cyber punch up raging on a thread about an LJ (of maybe its an LC, same difference) engine number and the L34 v A9X debate going on and on I reckon that us UC owners need a bit of a battle as well. The HB and TA dudes can join us if you like, I wont discriminate.

Only problem is that I cant think of anything to fight about. The hatch v sedan thing has already been done. UC's dont have any value (except for parts for rusted LH and LX's) so we cant argue on that. We all know that the UC SL\T was quicker in a straight line than almost any other Torana available from the dealer and there is no Bathurst heritage to get all hot and bothered about.

Come to think about it, there is nothing about a UC to get feisty over. I guess thats why I like them, UC owners have nothing to prove. I must say though, the owners would have to be a self assured and confident lot to drive a car with such god dam ugly tail lights !!

Oh, wait, hang on. I know of one topic we can get stuck into. UC's done up with flares etc. What do you think UC dudes, flared, scooped and spoilered or not?

Personally, I like the clean lines with maybe the addition of a bonnet scoop. The rest of the kit just doesnt suit a UC I reckon. On the lessor models (LH or LX) they look good but something doesnt look right when done on a UC.

Thoughts and justifications guys? :D

#2 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

I have to admit i like the hump in the bonnet of the uc as for the topic i prefer unflared unspoilered with only a small hornet scoop as an addition they dont have the body styling to warrant a full body kit

cheers goat

#3 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Well BigT, I am Toranaless ATM, but I am leaning towards UCs myself.

Hey, I'd love an LX hatch, but a UC hatch is where I'll be when $$$$ permit.

I reckon they are really under rated, and have so much potential. I dont know what
I will be doing to a future UC, but I have not seen one yet that expresses where I would
want it to be.

I did a few photoshops of a yellow one that had many subtle differences, like an integrated
front spoiler, massaged bonnet scoop (bigger hump) and modified existing tail lamps.

I reckon un flared, and un scooped. The lines are clean, and need only be accentuated
a little more to bring the styling to life. That's the issue I think, bolting on flares and spoilers
from 1975 that looked good on a much more rounded machine. Something in between the
LH/LX and early Brock Commodes would work.

- Leakey

#4 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

come on guys ..this is to tame!!!
you need to get a few heavy hitters to start it off for ya :shoot:

#5 _ozbox_

_ozbox_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

im sure that there was a bathurst edition uc... :ZZZ: ...generally found in the car parks of bathursts shopping centres and bingo houses...normally on pension day.... :tease:

#6 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

^hahhahaaa!
not exactly true, my nanna had a LH and her mate had a g-pak. its was like a showandshine at the mildura workers club on bingo thurdays!!

#7 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Geez Tony......if you dont like the tail lights, change them!

I wish somebody would come up with a UC rear lamp assembly that looks good!

Lord knows there is a market out there!

If you cant admire the UC.......you havent driven one!

#8 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

UC's look like Cortinas !!

#9 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

When i used to own a LX i never used to like the UC model at all, somehow i ended up getting one and realised how much better they are, the tail lights grow on you after a while and you dont look at them as if there ugly. a bit of paint around the outside of the tail lights and some nightshade tint and they look quite alright.

Im not a big fan of flares on a uc, its looks like there trying to be something there not. best left on the LH-LX i rekon. and as mentioned above the boonet looks great, love the look of the front end of the uc, alot more refined and aerodynamic.

The UC interior is great aswell, i love the look of the dash, its alot more modern looking. also the handbrake is alot better then a footbrake in the LH-LX.

i dont really care about people that pay them out all the time... maybe there just jelous and want a uc, but feel that people will just give them shit. Iv had lots of people come up and say "why would u bother doing up a uc, go get an lx". I think its pretty sad, id never downgrade to a LH-LX after owning a UC.

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

UCs are too harmless to bring on the heavy hitters :P

UC bodywork should be straightened, sprayed, polished and left. If you want a bodykit on a Torana street car, get an LH/LX. If it's a race car then who cares; function over form.

If you want a neater rear end on your UC, get the chrome trim and blackout, with tinted lights. I reckon the tail lights would look great even if you just masked some black lines on the inside to break it up neatly. (You could give it a go with electrical tape first if you were scared of destroyning your lenses!)

The best thing about UCs is that they extend the expandability of box Toranas with OEM parts, for owners of both cars. The worst thing is the bonnet design

#11 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

i never recognise uc's like other torrys they sneak up. and they look like sunbirds which are not toranas at all :P

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

UC's do grow on you... and you appreciate them for different things...

As others have said, Flares don't really suit them all that much. Kinda makes them a bit LX wannabe! But, they can be done and look good...

Its like an lc/lj with flares, its trying to make it something its not... but again, it can be done and make the car look bloody great!

I think, to make a UC look great... Nice clean, straight panels (No rubber strips or anything), a nice modern colour, black out the tail light surrounds, some 15" wheels and a really nice lowered stance (Tucking tyre as a minimum!)

Then, put a V8 in the sucker and you will have yourself a head-turning torana!

I just need to talk Maddy into putting some Convo's or Welds onto WILD.UC, dropping it another few inches and WILD.UC will look bloody awesome! Then went the 308 goes in, it will start turning even more heads!

#13 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

No LC/LJ or UC should EVER have flares. I'm massively against them, they look disgusting. Not to have a dig at any forum members or anything. It's just not my sorta thing is all.

UC's are fine, its just fun to pay out on them. Although. We should all pretend TA's never existed. *cough cough*

#14 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I have always been a big fan of UC's since the day my cousin took me for a spin in his sunbird hatch as a young teenager. My first UC was a 4 door as the 2 doors were very hard to find and people wanted too much for them back then.

The tail lights look fine on a neat, clean car and if they are in good condition.

What looks ugly is when they get turned upside down or tinted very dark. I have done both.

I'm dead set against flares/huge bonnet scoop on the UC.

People still to this day ask me why I did up a UC hatch back and not a LX hatch back. I prefer the UC hacth back to the LX to be honest. If I could buy a LX hatch back cheap I would just for the resale value as the are going through the roof.

Each to their own. We are all different and the end of the day it's a holden Torana too.

#15 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

I preferred to drive my UC over my LX Hatch.
It was just soooo much better.

It braked better.
It steered better.
It cornered better.

Yep, I had to do something with the lights, but I sometimes regret selling the UC, she was a great car!

#16 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Geeze, not much fighting going on here at all. I think that says something about us UC folk. Like our cars, we are mature, confident and refined.

We like the simplicity of clean lines without the clutter of bolt on bits. We like our cars as they are intended which I think shows great respect to GMH. We prefer function over braun and when given the opporunity, one particular UC owner with dribble crap all day.... speaking of whom, I best go empty my bucket :D

#17 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

Are you allowed to drink at work now T ?

#18 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

BUG ugly and a last resort.

Holden was right to stop production so early...it was a shame to the torana name.

Now I have launched the hand granade, I shall run and seek cover.

;)

#19 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

Holden was right to stop production so early...it was a shame to the torana name.

Shut up, was not !! :furious:

#20 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

haha your signature says a diffrent story doesnt it t

#21 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Holden had to stop Production on the UC... Couldn't have the Bathurst version being any better than there "NEW" commodore could they?

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

This thread needs to closed immediately before people realise that Ugly Cars are under valued and force the price up. I don't want to spend more than I have to on my fourth UC when I make some more garage space.

#23 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

haha your signature says a diffrent story doesnt it t

My signature is the result of a bet between me and MRLXSS. He claimed his Orange Torana is Faster down the quarter and I accepted his challenge. Only problem was that my UC didnt even make it out of my garage so he won the bet and as the loser, I had to write a lie for my signature.

It does seem a bit contradictory though hey :D

24 days until I change my sig back...... by then the car should be running again....hopefully !!

#24 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

My signature is the result of a bet between me and MRLXSS. He claimed his Orange Torana is Faster down the quarter and I accepted his challenge. Only problem was that my UC didnt even make it out of my garage so he won the bet and as the loser, I had to write a lie for my signature.

HAHA! Its a direct quote from your post!! LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

#25 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hey, sshhhhhh. No one would have known any different BIG MOUTH !! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users