#26 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:44 AM

Hi guys,

Thank's for your queries,
high_rpm i've had no worries regarding legality,

also bomber, one problem with using the carter is that they can only
be mounted a certain way. They r clearly marked... this way up, and on the other end... this side down, just so dummies like me can't get mixed up :lol

Another prob is they r quite bulky pumps.. this combined with not
alot of room under the lc/lj limits things a bit.
Good pump though!!...
Regarding being in harms way.. it's within rolling circumference of the
back wheel, and a touch higher than the bottom of the fuel tank. Also this is the look i was after.... the photos do look like its low, and don't forget i was lying on the ground to take them.

bomber sounds like you got some serious plumbing to do, should be
good. :rockon:

Edited by Aquarius - LC, 19 March 2006 - 10:50 AM.

#27 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

aha, very good to know that they have to be mounted that way before i buy them. exelent.

i was looking at holley blue to keep the surge tank full but the carters are cheaper and generaly better so i'lll just get two of them lol. and yeah, should be interesting. fair way in the future though.

#28 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

thanks for the pics aquarius, theyll come in handy when i go about mounting it!

A1

#29 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

Cool guys, thank's for the chat, :rockon:
I'll keep an eye on your progress.

#30 _chief_

_chief_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

If anyone is interested, I have a 100gph 15psi carter pump (running 7 psi at carb) and 1/2 inch lines to feed a 750cfm annular discharge holley on my hydraulic cammed 383 chev and it holds pressure the whole way up the strip. (runs 12.0et)
I had a holley blue and it wouldnt keep pressure, went to a 100gph 7psi carter and it was dropping 3 psi at top end of strip, so I purchased the 100gph 15 psi version and it has been perfect. When I increased the fuel line size was when the dramas started. Value for money I reckon they are great.

#31 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

That is the problem with fuel lines. Increase the diameter and you will increase flow. However, pressure will drop as a result. There is a formula, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

#32 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

Yeah there is but I can't think of it either, And I just done Hydraulics, lol.

Restricting flow creates pressure, so;
smaller diameter fuel lines = less flow, higher pressure
Larger diameter fuel lines = more flow, Less pressure

So when increasing fuel line diameter, the fuel pressure will decrease, so a higher pressure pump will be required to keep the same fuel pressure as before, if that makes sence.

Les

#33 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

It's been over 20 years since I finished trade school. So my excuse is better than yours.

#34 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

i think this means the basic thing is don't increase your line size unless you need to, and if you do need to don't go overboard.

#35 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

That applies for all modifications.

#36 _whiteLC_

_whiteLC_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

draglc:
Heater box mods... Here

#37 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

thanks for that mate, though the heaterbox isnt coming out! ill have to see how i go with jacking the gearbox up to clear it. im sure ill figure it out.

does anyone know where to get the alloy finned sideplates? gonna need a set to match the rocker cover soon :)

A1

#38 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Restricting flow creates pressure, so;
smaller diameter fuel lines = less flow, higher pressure
Larger diameter fuel lines = more flow, Less pressure

So when increasing fuel line diameter, the fuel pressure will decrease, so a higher pressure pump will be required to keep the same fuel pressure as before, if that makes sence.

Les

If the fuel volume used at the carby end remains the same the pressure will stay exactly the same, regardless of the width of the line.
The pressure drop one might see is because the flow rate increases due to the carby being able to take on more fuel due to less restrictive lines(that�s what you want on the strip), if the pressure wasn�t dropping with thinner lines the motor couldn�t have been getting all the fuel it wanted. If the pressure drops too low the pump simply hasn�t got the ability to maintain the pressure at your required flow rate.

#39 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Comment wasnt needed.

Edited by tinkers, 21 March 2006 - 09:47 PM.

#40 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

Too Nice, that makes a lot of sense...

Cheers

Les

#41 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

well i installed the carter pump today, its the 72gph 7psi model, $110 from vpw. didnt take long was pretty easy. welded together 2 angle brackets then welded them to the carter bracket, clears everything and sits nicely near the tank.

A1

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users