36 replies to this topic

#26 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

You have to be extremely careful with what you believe when you are told something by some people. I could give some good examples, but I don't really want to go into it too much on a public forum because the federal police are involved with the investigation of certain vehicles that "pop up", especially when the real deal pops up at a later date. At least 2 other members of this forum will know exactly where i am coming from here. I would love to get more information on this "EX HDT" shell because I have some information here which lists every shell supplied to HDT, and some others (please don't pm me for a copy it was given under confidence) and all of these cars are accounted for, so another one popping up would put a serious cloud over those out there that still exist. At least there are 2 cars out there with zero question marks over them, and thats the Brock 78 and 79 car as their history is fully documented. Don't believe everyone who claims to have owned a car in the past, one such "ex owner" took pictures of himself sitting in a particular car then claimed to have owned it. I believe there was an issue over some missing parts and documentation on one particular car that has only recently been resolved. LIke I said, I'd love to find out some more on this one.

#27 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

wow what a can of worms, so you would think if a car was droped off by pb him self 30 years ago. you would asume it is a hdt car. from what your saying it cant be a hdt car but in fact from another team etc.

#28 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

wow what a can of worms, so you would think if a car was droped off by pb him self 30 years ago. you would asume it is a hdt car. from what your saying it cant be a hdt car but in fact from another team etc.

PB and Peter Champion were good mates, PC built a museum deciated to PB and his cars and PB wrote a letter verifiing that the 84 Bathurst winner was the one PC owned not the one at Bathurst museum, and yet that cars history are in doubt too. This makes it sound like PB wasn't always honest. Not sure what too think about that?

Another thought, PC is apparantely not telling the truth about a few other cars that he has there either so ... I seem to know less and less the more I find out.

RedA9X thanks for posting and clarifing a few things, I understand what you are saying about need to keep things confindential, but it does end up adding to the mystery when 'unnamed sources that I cann't reveal' thing gets thrown in, that is not a dig at you, it is just ashame that an apparant need for secrety is almost helping the bad guys perpetuiate the myths and lies being told.

Interesting about the plastic tags, I know of collectors whom have taken the tags off their cars for fear that some might try to steal them. I noticed Brocks 79 Bathurst winner is missing an ashtray.

#29 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

Brocks 79 car is not missing the ashtray if you are refering to it having an SLR one rather than an SS one. That car ran with an SLR ashtray from day one, not SS.
I understand what you are saying about unnamed sources, but the fact this informaton is confidential is how these "bad guys" get caught out at the end of the day.
I'll give you an example. A certain person told me how he had tracked down a particular car, then at a later date told someone he was restoring another car. What this person failed to realise was these two cars were in fact one in the same car! Another certain person claimed to have owned a particular car, this car turned out to be the same car again, so 3 different people claiming to own the same car in different forms, yet not one of them own it at all!
As for the 84 car, this one always comes up. You may remember AMC magazine ran a story on the 84 cars, but never clearly defined which car was which, it just said one was in Bathurst and one in Yepoon. You may also remember AMC ran a letter from Peter Brock in the following issue where he said the car in yepoon was the real 05. I have a copy of the full letter and I can tell you the version in AMC was cut down as it was quite nasty. AMC printed the letter, but they still won't clearly define which car is which due to the speculation involved, and for them, it's a dead issue. I happen to know someone however who has a picture of the car after it was sold to the new owner in WA with the original 25 clearly still on the roof. A few months back Auto Action did a story on the cars and wrote that the 05 car was in Yepoon, the following week they retracted that statement. All ex HDT staff have refused to comment on any ex HDT race cars, you have to start to wonder. For anyone who has the chance, go to bathurst, look at the car there very carefully and make up your own mind. Talk in mind the fact the numbers and things were in most cases hand painted on, so the paint is quite thick. Look at the roof and other areas and work out if the car has been repainted or not and you will have your answers.

#30 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have fairly decent pics of both cars I was at Bathurst early Oct last years and resonably easy access to to Champions, I work about 30km away is there anything in particular I should be looking at apart from paint on roof of 84 car?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

just looking at both the vehicles in the pics,and they both have different fonts in the Malboro 05 on the sides.

it looks like one is in bold text and the other isn't................just from a signwriters point of view anyway.

a decent side on pic of the vehicle actually in the race,should be able to tell you which one is the origanal.

roodog

#32 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

the R,s on the side of the car are totally different and the blue sticker near front door is not on "bathursts' car. this is FUN.. i like a mystery.

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

Consider this, the 84 05 car had a small aftermarket drivers mirror, the 25 car had a VH mirror. The car in Yepoon has a small mirror, while the car in Bathurst has a VK mirror. When Holden donated the car to the museum they requested HDT remove the small mirror and replace it with a genuine Holden part. Why has the car in Bathurst got a VK mirror? If it was the 25 car, they wouldn't bother changing the VH mirror to a VK one. Look at the large picture of the car on pit straight taken during the race down the drivers side, then look at the car. You will see all the little marks on the car match up perfectly. The car in Yepoon has been restored, so you can't tell anything from it. Also think of this, the bloke who bought the car apparently stuffed Brock around on the deal, the story is they gave him the 25 car as a result. The other thing is, whatever people may think of Brock, he was a vain bloke, fairly normal really. If you were Brock, would you put your car in a museum for generations to see and keep as a time capsule, or would you mock the 25 car up as your car?

#34 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

I found this pic online
Posted Image

does that answer any questions

Champions car
Posted Image

Edited by cruiza, 15 May 2009 - 01:23 PM.

#35 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

That picture just says the restorer didn't do their research

#36 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:44 PM