i had a engineer inspection 2day

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#76 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

I would say you would have a very hard time, yours looks very lower indeed and whatever connects onto those two outlet s is going to be extremely vunerable to damage, sorry do be a downer on what is also otherwise a very fine build. Ignoring ramp angle argurement for a moment those to outlets realy would worry me even if they were legal I am not a fan of things hanging down in harms way, is there anyway you can move them? Again sorry for negativity

What can I say! the tank cost my $200. I'll probably get the lugs cut off and the holes welded up. But at least there are skid bars on the sides of the tanks.

#77 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

I doubt any people get pulled up by the cops to check if their drop tank is on eng certificate.

Is that right? That was what I was pulled over for in this pic.

Posted Image

Thank goodness the tank is on the eng's certificate.

Where are your exhausts? Exhaust counts as part of the body, and you can do a line from your wheels to the tips of the exhaust. That's what's on my Eng. Cert anyways.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 07 June 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#78 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

It would be incredibly easy for someone to come and steal 120 litres of fuel from you. Why were they not mounted on the forward face where the normal pickup ect is? Very dangerous

Because if they were when you mash teh throttle with 1/4 tank suddenly you have no fuel at the pickup....

Cheers.

#79 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

this is what id do

ring brown davis tell them there tank has failed inspection(youve already done this)

get engineer to talk direct to brown davis(engineer will probably tell em there tanks no good)

tell brown davis you can only see 2 options

1/ you return the tank for a full refund as it is unsuitable for the use intended( theres legal stuff about things you buy having to be suitable for intened use)
2/brown davis modify the tank so its legal(ideally at no cost but realisticaly at minimum cost say $100??)

your 3rd option is to have the tank modified yourself

some other thoughts

cops will pull you over at some stage
if they think your car is suss you will need to take it to your local rta for an inspection even if you do have an engineers report(last time i was pulled over for a breathyliser, did the test ,then young cop stepped back did a lap of the car then waved me on)

there is a really good reason why the body should hit the ground before the fuel tank

#80 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

Where are your exhausts? Exhaust counts as part of the body, and you can do a line from your wheels to the tips of the exhaust. That's what's on my Eng. Cert anyways.

That would fix everything

#81 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

Brown Davis will argue the tank is high quality and fit for purpose as it is designed for circuit racing.

I think at this stage you need to gather factual documentation from as many sources as possible regarding measuring of the departure angle (Brown Davis, NSW RTA, Your Engineer).

In particular ask your engineer for the documentation he is using to base his decision.

If the "wording" the engineer is using is very subjective you need to either convince him your case for using the exhaust is reasonable or use another engineer with a different interpretation of the wording.

#82 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

^ Was thinking that as well.

I know I thought I was gone when the copper mentioned it, so I threw in the wild card that it is engineered. Luckily the copper found it on the engineer's report which rides in my glove box. <Huge sigh of relief>. We then had a friendly chat on whether or not my wheels were legal, which we both agreed they weren't, and he sent me on my merry way, giving me the name of an RTA guy at the local shop who loves Torries to go see if I ever have any hassles.

More ass than class. Pays not to be a smart ass.

#83 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

Hi Guys, ive been following the replies to this thread and thought i would thro my 2 cents in...

i recently got pulled over by the cops and stickered for my drop tank and rims. (in was btw, so rules may vary from state to state however im not sure...) according to the coppa, you are not allowed to have 2 different sized rims (running 14x7 and 14x8) on the car, i said that was bullsh*t! the he went round to the back of the car and asked if i had a cert for my drop tank (only 70L), i didnt so that was strike 2 and i got a sticker. later i went to the engineer to get the tyres and tank done and no-one would certify them... according to them the maximum tyre size you can have is 1.3x the standard tyre width (175 i believe) making the maximum 225 and thats all good and fine if you dont have flares... man i was angry :furious:

ive since got the sticker off by swapping the tank back to standard and the wheels back to tiny 175 wide tyres off my EH (it looked absolutely hilarious!!) but now im left with a delema of getting a brand new tank made to comply, get a fake 120L tank made of put the old one back on... im leaning towards choice 3 as i read that depending on the engineer, the tail pipes can be the lowest part of the car... if anyone in WA has had the same problem of knows where i can go to fix it please tell me cause i want my drop tank back asap!!!!

Cheers,
Josh

#84 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Under the NCOP in WA you are allowed to have different width rims front and rear. See page 16 of this document.

Using the SS tyre CR70H13 which is approximately 200/70/13 as a baseline the following rules apply.

Maximum width 260.
Diameter 584 mm - 625 mm

Your rims have to be within +25 mm of the standard track. I would use the A9X track as a baseline.

Specifications - Rims, Tyres And Track

The NCOP which applies in WA does not mention that exhaust can be used in the departure angle calculation, the NSW documentation does. I have spoken to a fuel tank manufacturer today and they are checking if the exhaust can be used.

#85 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Logically it wouldn't be so bad if the exhaust was allowed to be used. If you hit something with a reasonably solid exhaust which in turn hits the chassis rails or body, that would be enough to beach the car and avoid hitting the tank (which I believe is the spirit of the rule?)

#86 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

cheers ls2,

its good to have someone who knows the rules in WA.. ive struggled to get info off the web about the rules and regulations. cheers for your input!! if you could let me know what the engineer says about the use of exhausts as the measure point and who this engineer is! i would like to get some reports so that i dont have to go thru the same drama again.

J.

#87 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

ls2lxhatch and 89'king

u can use the A9X tyre diameter on any lh/lx for wheel size.

the important thing is this.u can go 2inches wider than the largest optional rim for the torana.which is 14x6.so 8 inches is the widest u can go on a banjo.

the rule also states,where a donner axle is used,u can go 2 inches wider than largest optional rim for the donner axle.also u use the wheel track from the donner axle.u can real

tricky,buy putting hq-hx stubs on the front,this is a donner axle,and u can use the hq-hx wheel track,on the front

the largest rim i could find for a nine inch was 15x7.so on a nine inch u can have 9inch rims

a borgwaner in a vs clubsport came out with 17x8 inch rims.so on a borgwaner u can have 10inch rims.

i hope thats clear :)

#88 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

Cheers ass308, this really helps!! i wasnt planning on going 10" rims yet (as i cant get my hands on a cheap set) so im sticking with 7's & 8's and now with this info i can run them without worring about a defect :spoton:
Suck on that copa's! :tease: hehehe

Now its just getting the drop tank back in and being able to use it in confidence.. i was contemplating getting a fake one made but im not sure if that would have to comply with the angle as well even tho its not holding fuel.. just say it was a petrol tank protector lol.

#89 _mowie_

_mowie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Ive got a 9 inch out of a f truck. what size rears did they have?

#90 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

ass308 where have you got the details from ??? Is it avail on the net in an official form ??? Some great info ...

Cheers Simmo

#91 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

ls2lxhatch and 89'king

u can use the A9X tyre diameter on any lh/lx for wheel size.

the important thing is this.u can go 2inches wider than the largest optional rim for the torana.which is 14x6.so 8 inches is the widest u can go on a banjo.

the rule also states,where a donner axle is used,u can go 2 inches wider than largest optional rim for the donner axle.also u use the wheel track from the donner axle.u can real

tricky,buy putting hq-hx stubs on the front,this is a donner axle,and u can use the hq-hx wheel track,on the front

the largest rim i could find for a nine inch was 15x7.so on a nine inch u can have 9inch rims

a borgwaner in a vs clubsport came out with 17x8 inch rims.so on a borgwaner u can have 10inch rims.

i hope thats clear :)

The modification rules in NSW are different to the modification rules in WA. The NCOP is the National Code of Practice, NSW has had input into the rules and in many cases they are the same, however in regards to rims and tyres they are totally different. NSW has not adopted the NCOP at this point in time but is expected to some time in the future. The goal is to have one set of rules nationwide.

WA has adopted the NCOP, all light vehicle modifications are subject to the standards in the NCOP. Under the NCOP the rim width is dictated by the tyre width and profile. Tyre width and profile is dictated by a set of rules based on the widest tyre fitted by the manufacturer.

This is the section that covers rims and tyres.
NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and steering 3 Feb 2006

This section covers fuel systems. The NSW rules specify that exhaust systems may be used in the departure angle at the discretion of the engineer. The NCOP does not have this clause.
NCOP9 Section LM Fuel Systems 3 Feb 2006

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 08 June 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#92 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

its a screwed up world we live in sometimes.

wheres the exhaust claus in the nsw regs ?

#93 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

It is noted in this diagram originally posted by Yella_SLuR and also posted my Mowie. Going by Yella_SLuR it may actually be the Canberra regs.

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 08 June 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#94 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

its a screwed up world we live in sometimes.

Tell me about it!
QLD reckon they've adopted the NCOP but haven't done "officially" yet, and the QLD regs don't cover anything significant in regards to common Torana mods, yet they'll still book you for things they don't like. Where do we stand??? It's just beaurocratic bullsh*t!!! P*sses me off!
Cahns!!! :angry:

#95 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:19 PM

It is noted in this diagram originally posted by Yella_SLuR and also posted my Mowie. Going by Yella_SLuR it may actually be the Canberra regs.

Posted Image

As far as I know Canberra has been working off of the NCOP regs for a number of years now....Probably as a testing ground?? Don't quote me on that though.

Herne

#96 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:47 AM

Even though I live near Canberra, I'm NSW through and through.

#97 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

I nearly mentioned that Pat but I thought it best coming from you :)

Cheers
Alan

#98 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

Would over-riders on the bumpers alter the Rear Entry Angle?

#99 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

Would over-riders on the bumpers alter the Rear Entry Angle?

Im not sure u can take it from the bumper anyway's. i did think about that but i think it says that the angle has to be taken from the tangent of the tyres to the lowest structural point of the car ie. tow bar, beaver panel and sometimes exhaust. it would be good if over-riders could be used, but then u could argue that a mudflap is the same thing and take the angle from tyre to mudflap

J.

#100 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

Just a thought, but if it is up to the engineers discretion on whether the exhaust should be considered then could there be some way of strengthening the tailpipes to act more protective to the tank clearance and change his mind?
Possibly a thicker pipe or dual mouting brackets on each tailpipe?

But then it all seems pointless if the coppa who pulls you over can stick his nose up the engineering report you carry in you glovebox and send to the RTA anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users