138 replies to this topic

#101 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

The following information is only relevant in WA.

I asked a couple of engineers today if the exhaust system can be used for the departure angle under the WA NCOP rules. None of the engineers knew the answer to the question. So I called the Perth Technical Section and the reply was a definite no.

I spoke to a licenced tank builder and he told me that dozens of his tanks which do not fit within the departure angle have passed over the WA pits without any problems in the last twelve months. He has not been officially advised of the departure angle rule under the NCOP although he has been advised of other rule changes in relation to fuel tank construction.

At this point in WA it would appear that if you have to go over the pits with a drop tank then they may not check the departure angle. This could change at any time depending on who you get at the pits or if a directive is sent to enforce the departure angle. It also means the car could be defected at any time if you do not have documentation from the licencing department stating that your tank has been approved.

If you have listed a drop tank on a Modification Application, then you will be required to have an engineer complete the checklist LM1 on page 10 of the NCOP9_Section_LM_Fuel_Systems_3feb2006.pdf. Question 1.7 will force the engineer to check the departure angle.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 09 June 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#102 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

my2cents worth since one day will also face this problem, fit the 100ltr tank that fits inside the departure act as per one of the previous pages, then fit a dummy tank cover for looks.
send current tank back, either for repair, or refund. unless there is some disclaimer with the tank.

think it is a safety issue, some rules do make sense, just protecting us from ourselves.

rules are to cover all types of vehicles, drivers and abilities (unfortunately) so there are restrictive speed limits, power to weight ratio, wheel size etc etc.

#103 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

my2cents worth since one day will also face this problem, fit the 100ltr tank that fits inside the departure act as per one of the previous pages, then fit a dummy tank cover for looks.
send current tank back, either for repair, or refund. unless there is some disclaimer with the tank.

unfortunatly i cant sent my tank back as i bought the car 2 years ago from Vic and the tank was from price engineering but i didnt recieve from the seller any paper work re the tank... i was actually thinking about fitting a fake 120L tank that looks the part but goes straight to the ground completely ignoring the departure angle purely cause it wouldnt hold any fuel, if it was questioned i could say its a petrol tank protector and if the cops are gay i could wip out the spanner and take it off there and then LOL!

thanks for that info ls2lxhatch. it seems now that i might have to go to a certified engineer and get them to either buff the departure angle or get a new tank made up... either way im thinking its gona hurt the back pocket some what...

#104 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

ls2lxhatch,looks like u are caught between a rock and a hard place a bit.

ive thought about this a bit.im hopeing my engineer will be partial to a practical test.theres a few steep driveways around here,or ill get the tilt tray and drag it up backwards.or i

can put the car in any situation he wants.im confident with steep angles the tail pipes will be 1st to hit,if the front spolier isnt smashed 1st.

#105 _fatlh5000_

_fatlh5000_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

ASS (how did you get that name ?- maybe thats a whole separate thread !!),

What I find amazing is that I have seen an Engineers certificate for a LH/ LX Torana with a 'Long Range Aluminium Fuel Tank being fitted', being written on the engineers report. And that is ALL that it says re the droptank.

It does not have the diagram or diagrams that have been shown in this thread showing how the droptank complies. Therefore any shape/ depth droptank could be fitted to a car that is engineered with a - 'Long Range Aluminium Fuel Tank being fitted'. I wonder what wording your engineer intends to use as it may be his/ her wording that creates the ambiguity.

It may be a COMPLYING aluminium long range tank that is initially fitted, which may be later changed for a NON COMPLYING aluminium long range tank.

I know this doesnt help your cause ASS, but point it out nonetheless.

Cheers

#106 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

Dunno? Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Engineer just engineered it. Don't know what the rules are, just glad it is done and I have the paperwork to say it is good. I know what is and what isn't engineered on my car, so it really was just a leap of faith, I didn't really know what my paperwork said about the tank, and didn't really care, just knew it was engineered.

#107 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

i see your point,im not sure what he does.

if i go to effort of getting a tank he likes,im pretty sure it will stay.

as far as updates go.i heard on the graph vine today he wont pass it,no matter what.

so the next option is,another engineer for the tank.if that fails,im off to get a comlying tank.

however it will hit the road with this tank for the time being.it just wont be passed on the certificate.who knows i may never get hassled,or i could get hassled everytime.

either way my car will comply eventualy.it was a major goal,and i dont want to fall short.

#108 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:08 PM

To avoid hassles in the future I will be building another tank that complies with the departure angle. The design I am working on contains a surge tank, a recess for the fuel pumps and does not extend all the way to the beaver panel. Unfortunately according to my calculations the tank will only hold around 60 litres, I would have preferred 80+.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#109 _Marshall_

_Marshall_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

BUMP :)

#110 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

To avoid hassles in the future I will be building another tank that complies with the departure angle. The design I am working on contains a surge tank, a recess for the fuel pumps and does not extend all the way to the beaver panel. Unfortunately according to my calculations the tank will only hold around 60 litres, I would have preferred 80+.

Posted Image

Posted Image

ls2, your pretty decent with what looks like some extension of CAD, very nice.

i was actually wondering if you could post or email me the dimensions and what not of the tank your proposing to get made. it looks pretty fine and im still not sure if i should just get another made up that complies with the rules to save hassels later on...

J.

#111 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:02 AM

The drawing is done in google sketchup 7 which you can download for free. Once you have sketchup you can load the drawing and check measurements. I will post up the drawing on Thursday.

I plan to make a mock up tank using 3 mm MDF. Once that is finished you can come and have a look if you are not too far from Willetton.

#112 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

so the next option is,another engineer for the tank.if that fails,im off to get a comlying tank.

however it will hit the road with this tank for the time being.it just wont be passed on the certificate.who knows i may never get hassled,or i could get hassled everytime.

I think you may have problems getting approval from another engineer as they will still have to check departure angle and consequences of tank failure could result in things getting toasted and potential legal shitfight for them so unlikely to approve.

I would get a refund on your tank as it is not suited to the purpose for which it was sold as not legal on public roads and then get one made to comply with departure angle regs.

Then again my UC hatch only had "Modified vehicle as per report 351**" on the rego paper and did not list modifications so i never got hassled for anything and i think the Police have a much nicer attitude to modified vehicles with engineer approval.

#113 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

The drawing is done in google sketchup 7 which you can download for free. Once you have sketchup you can load the drawing and check measurements. I will post up the drawing on Thursday.

I plan to make a mock up tank using 3 mm MDF. Once that is finished you can come and have a look if you are not too far from Willetton.

Sweet cheers for that!! let me know once you have made the mock tank as i will come around and check it out, i live down the road from orana primary school so shouldnt be a problem if your in willo.
its fantastic when another torana owner lives near by!

J.

#114 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

Ls2lxhatch

Nice drawings sketchup is the perfect tool for stuff like this, I noticed that you have a rectanglur cutout for the spare tire bulge in the boot floor I think you will find it does not have to be anywhere near that big and be angled up from front of tank toward rear of tank giving you a few more litres of capicity.

good luck with project

#115 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

I think he mentioned that cut out is for fuel pumps. I could be looking at the wrong cut out though.

#116 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

by the way his user name reads... A SS 308 not ASS 308 as in crap 308 so to speak.

Good luck with the tank etc...such a shame to get this far and fall over on such a basic thing.

You could sell the tank on ebay and mention "For Race Use Only"...if someone buys it and puts it on the road thats there problem...you could even mention that it "wont pass the departure angle rule". I will be in the market for a drop tank soon for my LX Hatch Race Car...so there are buyers out there. You could list it on MY105 which is a Race Car selling web site etc....

Pete

#117 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

LXChev366

if i replace the tank,u can have 1st option on the tank if want.ill do u a good deal :)

#118 _prrojo_

_prrojo_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

I'v had a few toranas with b/d tanks & low suspension, & clearance is a prob. If you angle a drive-way entrance to clear your front spoiler the tank would scrape. I used to weld a second skin,folded to match the tank,in about 4mm (ally),along the bottom & up the back. It dissapeared under the rear valance,& only has to be stiched on,(it does not hold fuel). Perhaps to over come the departure angle you could fit welded plates, (running front to rear) on to the rails,at the back near the pipes,only about 100mm long, & deep enough to clear departure angle.They could be painted flat black,& cut out to be just a frame. I think these could be classed as permanent body structure, & may look visually acceptable.

#119 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Nice drawings sketchup is the perfect tool for stuff like this, I noticed that you have a rectanglur cutout for the spare tire bulge in the boot floor I think you will find it does not have to be anywhere near that big and be angled up from front of tank toward rear of tank giving you a few more litres of capicity.

I think he mentioned that cut out is for fuel pumps. I could be looking at the wrong cut out though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#120 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

by the way his user name reads... A SS 308 not ASS 308 as in crap 308 so to speak.

Good luck with the tank etc...such a shame to get this far and fall over on such a basic thing.

You could sell the tank on ebay and mention "For Race Use Only"...if someone buys it and puts it on the road thats there problem...you could even mention that it "wont pass the departure angle rule". I will be in the market for a drop tank soon for my LX Hatch Race Car...so there are buyers out there. You could list it on MY105 which is a Race Car selling web site etc....

Pete

pete ring reidy,he has a tank and a half cage going on ebay soon

#121 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

ls2lxhatch, that tank looks dynomite mate! its really turned out nicely. im assuming that everything complies with the departure angle. hey, if your located around willetton area could i come out and have a look at the tank, and abit of a chat maybe saturday?

numbers 0401306266

cheers, J.

#122 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

lol sorry mate.arent u in w.a.im in sydney.

the tank will not be passed, period by my engineer.its not in the departure angle

the tank is not for sale atm.

nice tank ls2lxhatch

Edited by ass308, 11 June 2009 - 06:01 PM.

#123 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

ls2lxhatch, that tank looks dynomite mate! its really turned out nicely. im assuming that everything complies with the departure angle.

The tank in the above pictures is similar to the Brown Davis design and therefore does not fit within the departure angle. I posted the picture to show why the spare tyre cutout is flat in the new tank design.

I will send you a pm when I have finished the mockup tank.

#124 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

The tank in the above pictures is similar to the Brown Davis design and therefore does not fit within the departure angle. I posted the picture to show why the spare tyre cutout is flat in the new tank design.

I will send you a pm when I have finished the mockup tank.

Ahhhhhhhh I see said the blind man, makes sense thanks for that, nice work

#125 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

i might be in the market for a tank soon
any suggestions on where i can get a legal one in perth?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users