Some other things i've been working on

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#276 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

Need to shorten the ass and stretch the doors haha. New glass would be too hard, unless some 2 door mitsu doors already bolt on :P.

#277 _Herbinator_

_Herbinator_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:55 AM

maybe from a scorpion?

#278 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Ahh yes, theres some on ebay just a bit far away. Ill keep an eye out :).

#279 ryano1911

ryano1911

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name:Ryan Catterall
  • Car:LC 2 door S

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

That sounds much easyer........

Only seems to handle a 2.5 bar map censor though, that limits me to around 22psi boost :mellow:

Interesting.

Cheers.

Bomber what drugs you smoking up their in rockie? 2.5bar is around 36psi not 22.
I think a 202 would explode if you put that much boost in

#280 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

^ The difference between the two numbers being approx 1bar which is atmospheric pressure, 22psi of boost is additional not absolute

#281 ryano1911

ryano1911

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name:Ryan Catterall
  • Car:LC 2 door S

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

ahhh got ya makes sense now

#282 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

Well my nephew decided he wanted a motorbike rather than a Celica so its now gone :cry: :cry: :cry: . Lucky i sold it to a mate so ill still get to see it :spoton: . Sounded great driving away with ITB and the stainless side pipe i made out of a old SS commo exhaust. My nephew actually called me up and asked if i was driving his old Celica around 'coz he heard it... from over 2km's away and recognised the exhaust note haha :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: . Nicest sound from a 4 cylinder ever, I dont know what it is about the older toyota motors but they all had that distinctive sound.

#283 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

im waiting LOL , took my bike for a blast tonight round the block! aaahhh summer !

when ya get that thing running again i wanna go for a spin

cheers

Still keen for a drive? I should have it going tomorrow night with a new Garrett GT3071r turbo... The guy building my engine is a little slow so i bought a spare stock motor for the interim.

#284 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

So i havent updated this in ages. I think i've got my mojo back so i've been getting stuck into the Celica. I've bought and fitted a 18rg motor while my other motor is apart. I've ditched the Megasquirt 2 in favour of a MS3+Extra board, i also stopped using the distributor as the CAS as it turns out only having 4 reference points per 2 revs sucks :P. I'm now using a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank and ground 3 of the 4 'lobes' off the distributor and used it as a cam angle sensor. I bought a single bank of LS1 coils, shortened the spark leads so now i have 1 coil per cylinder. With all that done I enabled sequential injection and COP ignition. Its amazing how much the sequential injection has smoothed out the engine at idle/low rpm, even without a idle control valve it starts with the touch of a key hot or cold and idles away happily.

My poor old skyline turbo was on its last legs so i picked up a second hand Garrett GT3071r turbo in perfect nick. Its substantially larger than the old rb25 turbo and now the car comes on full boost by 3,500 rpm rather than around the 3,000rpm mark. Using the boost controller from diyautotune I have setup closed loop boost control, it has the boost coming on nice and fast but its osculating a bit when trying to hold the boost target. I'm currently running around 18-20psi, the stock map sensor isnt good for much more so i bought an external 3bar map sensor that i have to install.

With all this boost i found that i was running out of fuel up top, the problem was my fuel pressure reg wasnt a rising rate unit so every psi of boost i ran effectively lowered my fuel pressure by the same amount. I installed a aeromotive FPR that rises 1:1 with boost inline with the stock FPR for the moment and that has sorted all my fueling issues. When the motor comes out ill remove the stock reg.

Hmm what else, oh yeah this weekend i fitted a subaru liberty radiator/fans and air con condenser. The reason i used the subaru stuff is because i have a 05 Liberty GT parts car! It was a nightmare to fit, i had to cut the shit out of the radiator support to fit it. Its so tight i had to flap disc the radiator where the intercooler pipes go to make it all fit, but it fits! I used all the soobie rubber radiator mounts to hold it in place so its a 2 minute job to install/remove. I bought some A/C manifold gauges the other day and i have already fitted a factory evaporator so now all i have to do it mount the A/C compressor and then i can boost in comfort!

I also wore the old crappy tires out on the rear so i fitted some Toyo R888 205/55/14's (same as the front), it has made the car handle so much better. Very predictable even on the limit and man do they hook-up!

This weeks project is to fit the huge cams i bought to my spare head then swap them over, i have a feeling they might be too big for this engine but theres only one way to find out :D. They are off a 18rg drag car that was running 45psi on methanol :P.

Fhew that was a bigger post than expected, maybe i should update more often! :D. I can post pics up if anyone is interested.

#285 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

everyone loves pics!!

#286 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I didnt grab any pics of the engine bay, I got distracted by no compression on #2 cylinder.

Posted Image

It most likely had a leaking exhaust valve already. Lucky i was prepping my spare head with big cams already :P. Lets hope it didnt damage my turbo on the way out :). Its a nice change not to have blown a head gasket or cracked pistons :).

#287 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

it almost looks like its smiling :)

#288 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

hahaha, now that you say it...

#289 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Cylinder 3 + 2
Posted Image

Cylinder 4, you can see a mark in the piston which i assume was caused by the exhaust valve breaking up
Posted Image

Number 2, camera didnt take great pics
Posted Image

Number 1. You can see the marks in #2 better in this pic. It doesn't look like detonation to me, the marks are long and skinny from what im guessing is exhaust valve chunks?
Posted Image

Turbro
Posted Image

#290 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Dare i say this but

I HAVE NO MORE OIL LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The side of the block and sump are completely dry!

The engine has been out, timing cover off and re-gasketed. I found the main oil leak was coming from a sneaky bolt that was missing when i bought the engine :(. Took the car out the road for a quick drive and everything went silky smooth except for two problems. The adjuster nut on the throttle came loose limiting me too 30% throttle and the other problem was the top plastic housing of the radiator blew out and left a 400mm split in the plastic :S. I used that awesome glue/powder to fix a broken lug i cracked off and well the glue didnt fail but i obviously weakened the structure... Lucky i was only around the corner from home so she didnt get hot. I have another subaru radiator so ill fit that up tomorrow and take her for another run!

I fitted some longer duration turbo cams while the head was off, ill have to borrow the dial gauge from work and dial them in properly since i wasted a heap of money on adjustable cam gears.

I also fitted a larger ma70 (supra) master cylinder, the brakes are much more positive feeling now. Its going to take some getting used to since it takes less force to break now.

Ill try and grab a video tomorrow when i get the radiator sorted =)

Edited by jabba, 04 December 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#291 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Helping a mate replace the engine in a suzuki vitara he bought, $550 7 months rego but the engine has a blown HG. Since the sigma pano got written off the motor he was building had to go somewhere. I dont think anyone would expect this :P.

Old engine
Posted Image

Pinned the throttle until it couldnt go no more
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just sitting there at the moment, but you get the idea
Posted Image

Its a 1000kg car stock, so far we have ditched the bulbar, spare tyre+bracket, back seats, carpet underlay (keeping carpet) and tar deadening, front diff and bulky auto. It has something like 4.6* gears in it so it should get up and boogy. Inside and out will remain stock, it will be lowered but thats about it :). The heater box will have to go since the heater pipes are on the exhaust side, plus who needs all that extra weight.

The aim of this car is to have it looking/sounding like a stock vitara but gutting as much weight as possible.

#292 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by jabba, 19 December 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#293 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

sweet job

#294 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Oh yeah, total cost = $0 so far.

#295 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

My celica exhaust has been dragging on the ground for ages and it finally broke last week so i bit the bullet and payed the exhaust shop to make one up for me. I have een throwing around the idea of having an exhaust cutout for a long time so i had him go 3" off the exhaust that splits out just behind the gearbox, then the rest of the exhaust is 2.5". Now for the cutout idea, i'm a cheap skate and didnt want to spend $200+ on a electric cutout. I came across some people using throttle bodies as cutouts, $20 later i had a 3" ba falcon drive by wire throttle body. Ill make a video tomorrow but i'm using a generic pwm output from my megasquirt to drive it. Currently its setup so that <80% throttle and the cutout stays shut, then 80-100% throttle it opens the cut out completely.

#296 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Seems I'm completely slack and don't follow through with videos, sorry about that.

Celica's off the road after i blew another head gasket, some idiot (me) tidied up the engine bay and pulled a zip-tie too tightly around the wastegate vac hose. It was a cool night so the turbo was spooling a lot earlier than normal. One 30psi boost spike (hit boost ignition cut at that point) and i had the telltale wrx idle, whoops haha.

Ages ago i bought wiesco pistons, a metal head gasket, big cams etc so it just meant i had to pull my finger out and put it together. The new pistons are 90mm which makes her a 2.2L now. Next time something blows it will be in a new more interesting way :P. The reason why i believe i blew a head gasket is that my injectors were running @ 90% duty cycle (and fuel pressure turned up to 60psi) at the intended 25pound mark so the boost spike would have caused a lean condition and detonation.

Now of course i could just buy bigger injectors but where would the fun be in that. Instead i bought aluminium injector bungs to have welded into the upper part of the runner just below the plenum. The idea is to run a small injectors for idle and cruise and stage in the larger injectors when the engine load increases. I'm going to use my current injectors as the secondaries and use some small injectors i picked up at the wreckers for the primaries. From what i've read moving the injectors further up the runner should also result in better fuel atomisation and possibly even lowering the intake air temps. My ECU supports up to 10 injectors so i can run 4 + 4 stages sequential.

Since i was upgrading the fuel system so much i decided that the standard fuel lines had to go. I ran 2x 8mm rubber hydraulic hoses from the boot to the engine bay ('P' clamped every 200mm) and moved the fuel pressure reg to the boot. I'm not sure if there is any issues with running the FPR in the boot, obviously i had to run a vacuum hose back there but other than that i can't think of any issues. The hose is twice as thick as standard efi hose and rated to something like 1000psi.

While i was working on the fuel system i pulled the fuel tank out to try and work out how to stop fuel spraying out the cap on hard right hand corners. The fuel filler neck was a flush fit to the side of the fuel tank, so when cornering hard the fuel would slosh up the side of the tank and straight out the filler. To hopefully solve that i welded a piece of exhaust pipe so that it protrudes around 6" into the tank. I also cleaned up the fuel pump/swirl pot install, the engineer who fitted/passed the system did a woeful job. Pics to follow.

I haven't bought it yet but i'm going to fit meth/water injection to help raise the det limit i've hit with pump fuel. I found a nice kit that supports PWM pump speed control for around $450. I'm thinking ill run two atomisers, a very small one pre-turbo and another appropriately sized one post-intercooler.  I want most of the water/meth to be injected after the intercooler with just a small amount pre-turbo. From what i've read water injection pre-turbo = bad for the turbine, but my thinking is if i get the water droplets small enough this shouldn't matter too much. Some people claim to not need an intercooler when injecting straight meth pre-turbo, they even say that the intercooler pipes 'freeze' up due to the meth cooling the intake charge as it changes from a liquid to a gas.

I've also got a knock sensor kit to add onto the ms3 and i've also fitted a 3 wire idle control valve from a Hyundai excel which gave me idle control from 600rpm to 2500rpm so no more cold start issues :D. So yeah after all of that I've nearly doubled the amount of wiring needed to around 50 odd wires up from around 30. Completely unnecessary but fun i guess?

While the engine was out i gutted the engine bay, bare metalled, stitch welded the strut towers, cut an extra hole to mount the second 34 pin deutsch connector and welded in a bit of reinforcement for the radiator support panel.

I don't actually expect anyone to read all that, just figured i should update the 'blog' to reflect what i've done. Obviously ill have to post some pictures or it didn't happen :P.

Damien

Edited by jabba, 19 November 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#297 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

The event organisers weren't too pleased by the fuel leak :P.

204601_10150173165141912_785111911_68861

#298 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

stuff the celica, more updates on the monaro!!

#299 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Haven't touched it in years :/. Lost motivation when things got expensive i think :(.

#300 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

Finished the replacement motor, big turbo cams, 90mm forged Wiseco pistons (2.1L) 3mm metal HG (9.5:1 CR from memory), sequential 2 injectors per cylinder, the 2nd set are staged in @ 8psi. Currently running about 18psi. It doesn't spool until 4,000rpm so i've bought a SC14 to help it along. ;) ;) ;). That should arrive this week, I'm hoping for 5-8psi off idle boost which should spool the turbo quicker. When i reach target boost ill bypass the SC with a fowlcoon DBW throttle body.

20150420_183450.jpg

20150420_183350.jpg

20150420_181623.jpg

20150420_181535.jpg

20150420_181415.jpg

Edited by jabba, 26 April 2015 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users