Some other things i've been working on

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#251 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

I can't remember off the top of my head, i could check the job card for you and see if he recorded it. Any particular reason? I remember Phil checking the ring gaps but i don't remember what he said they were...

#252 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

It should be bigger than standard using a turbo. If the rings expand and butt out, they will scuff the bores.

#253 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

Interesting, do you have any links to some more info about it. I believe you, i just enjoy a good read (without having to sift though bs to get to the real info).

Ring gaps would have been set within 'standard' tolerances... What causes the expansion, increased combustion temps?

Edited by jabba, 03 October 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#254 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Correct.
.004" per inch of bore is the rule of thumb for standard engines.
Therefore, my 202 being approx 3 9/16" bore would be .014" ring gap in the ball park.
But I'm running .020" on the top compression and a gapless second ring because I race it. It's not turbo'd.

Edited by rodomo, 03 October 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#255 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for that bit of info, ill try and keep track of where the ring gap is located when i pull the pistons and see if it matches up with the scores!

Thanks again mate!

#256 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

Is there a 'rule of thumb' for forced induction motors?

#257 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

Errr..........Ummmm..........maybe?
But I forget? :fool:

Ask this bloke (Wayne) http://www.gmh-toran...ser/5368-2elcs/
I went through this with 2ELCS and my engine builder buddy some time ago.
He will have it written down somewhere I'd reckon? He gapped the rings himself.
His is a 202 and he will be turboing it later.

#258 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

Doh, cracked ring lands again, although not anywhere near as bad as before. I even broke the skirt off #4 piston :S. No idea how that happened. Oh, and it spun 3 of the 4 rod bearings :surrenderwave:. I thought id get away without a crank regrind until i removed #1 and there was a score :(. Oh well, send crank off to be re-ground and ill order some custom forgoes from Arias pistons. $670 for 4 forgies, an extra $110 for gapless top rings... I'm guessing i'm getting detonation at around 5,000rpm where it shat, couldn't hear it but that means nothing... Ill pull a degree or so of timing up top and forgies should stop it happening again i hope.

After i rebuild the engine i found out that the 18rg sump doesn't like holding oil in the engine while doing fast right hand corners, when i did the motokhana the oil light came on a couple of times. I backed off straight away but obviously too late... Mains looks new still *shrug*. Ill baffle up the sump this time :innocent:

#259 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Since this is the 'some other things i've been working on' thread, here is the latest and greatest paint i have laid down to date. It copped 3 coats of colour, then it was colour sanded coz i wasn't happy with my prep work. Then i laid down a wet colour coat followed by two medium wet coats of clear. There are other panels i just haven't taken pics of them yet. The finish is amazing, so flat and glossy! By far my best work :D.

Posted Image

Edited by jabba, 16 October 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#260 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

I have done a bit of work on my nephews Celica over the last few weeks. On easter sunday i converted his car to use a Megasquirt 2 for ignition timing. I used the standard points distributor for the tach signal, I removed the mechanical advance weights and welded it solid, i left the vac advance canister in place but screwed the adjustment nut up tight so it couldn't move. Very simple mod and the performance gain was very noticeable. It has more power across the board and it even added another 10km/h to the top speed ;P. On friday i fitted a wide band 02 sensor in preparation for the injection conversion. The fuelling is all over the place with the carby, lean when you crack the throttle then jumps to around 12:1 AFR, as the secondarys open it drops to 10:1 and then finally leans back out to 12.5:1 at redline. Cruise seems to be a bit on the lean side as well. The solution, quad GSXR 600 throttles :D. I bought a 2TG webber manifold off ebay a while back, but when i removed the old manifold it turns out that 2t and 2tg manifolds mounting points are different :(. Luckily the port spacings are the same so I cut all the mounting tabs off and re-locate them in the appropriate positions, i had a mate tig them back on and then run the manifold through his mill. Heres where i got up to tonight... its all finished bar connecting up the swirl pot to the fuel lines, i ran out of hose and clamps :(.

Posted Image

So far i think the EFI conversion has cost him
megasquirt ecu = <$400
Throttle bodies = $80
Manifold, including the webber flanges = $200
VL fuel pump = $140
Swirlpot = $80
throttle cable = $30
And loads of my time for free :P.

Total = $930ish but hopefully the sound of quad throttles, priceless :P

Edited by jabba, 22 April 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#261 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Looks cool, what are you using for load sensing?

#262 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

The megasquirt has a new mode for ITB, its just a blend of map and tps.

It started first kick tonight, gotta be happy about that :D. Took it for a drive and it ran like a bucket, turns out i only set ignition to the itb load setting :P. Autotune had nfi whats going on, 90% of the engine's load happening in 10% of the table. Just waiting for laptop to change then ill give it another go.

#263 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Whats the megasquirt like to dick with??

And does it handle coil packs??

Was toying with the idea of running a Delco 808 on ignition only with a 3 bar map censor to run coil packs on a 202 running off crank angle censor holes in the flexplate.......

But it all got to hard and complicated just thinking about it.

Is the MS nice and simple and strait foward??

Cheers.

#264 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Ah, so they're not actually independent runners, there is a common plenum for a MAP sensor to work with. Makes life easy!

#265 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Whats the megasquirt like to dick with??

And does it handle coil packs??

Was toying with the idea of running a Delco 808 on ignition only with a 3 bar map censor to run coil packs on a 202 running off crank angle censor holes in the flexplate.......

But it all got to hard and complicated just thinking about it.

Is the MS nice and simple and strait foward??

Cheers.

The software (tuner studio) is awesome to play with, very easy :). You can do up to 8 COP and sequential ignition with a un-modified megasquirt 3 + ms3x board. If you want to keep it simple just buy the pre-made megasquirt 3+extra board for something like US$640, or if your a tight ass like me you can DIY it.

Ah, so they're not actually independent runners, there is a common plenum for a MAP sensor to work with. Makes life easy!

Yep, the only problem is that the MAP signal is still poor. I have it running fairly well, i tried doing a bit more tonight and went backwards, luckily i saved the last tune :P.

#266 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

That sounds much easyer........

Only seems to handle a 2.5 bar map censor though, that limits me to around 22psi boost :mellow:

Interesting.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 24 April 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#267 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

grab the 4 bar map daddy sensor then when you build it ;).

http://www.diyautotu...tion-p-117.html

Edited by jabba, 26 April 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#268 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

So i have it running fairly good now, had a couple of problems. One was the fuelling wasn't consistent, turns out i shouldn't have hooked up the vac port on the fuel reg (pic above) since ITB make terrible map signal it was altering the fuel pressure unreliably. The second issue was the car stalled and wouldn't start again last night, turns out that stealing the 12v from the injector rail for the wb was a bad idea :P. As soon as i removed it the weird TPS noise also went away :). The noise was causing false ignition triggers. I have ordered a big single foam uni-filter to suite the gsxr throttles, should look a bit neater than individual filters.

#269 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Been building this at work,its an Enzed hydraulics service van on a 4WD truck to service the mines

Attached Files

#270 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

So you know me, i can't concentrate on one thing at once. We have talked about doing some body mods to my mates crappy old Sigma wagon and he mentioned turning it into a panel van. We were meant to be re-assembling his motor but this seemed more fun, plus his balance shaft removal kit was stuck at the post office over the weekend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As of this afternoon, we gave it a custom paint job to make it look like it belonged until he finishes preping for paint :P.
Posted Image

#271 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image

#272 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

C'mon mate? Surely there's more than THAT to do in Dubbo?
No sheilas? :huh:

#273 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

hahaha, i know. First a Ford, now a bloody sigma. What is the world coming too :S.

Next weekend i might do a bit on the Monaro (*Gasp*). I picked up a 05 Subaru Liberty GT for its engine (long story) and it came with nice leather seats. Might see if they can be made to fit...

#274 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

To answer your question tho... How many times can you go and look at the animals around here, and then theres the Zoo :S.

#275 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

i reckon its pretty cool. pretty good for a weekend job!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)