_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

you should probably get onto it never know when you might need it hehe

#202 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

I dont think i can get much more power out of my setup, i have to tune the ignition timing but other than that she's tapped out ;). A good diff and tires will hopefully put me into the 8's.

Thats where my fuel went!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jabba, 26 April 2011 - 11:50 AM.

#203 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#204 _77hatch_

_77hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

damn could have used a few more cartons !!!! some how 6 just dissappeared from my fridge over easter :dontknow:

had a house full mate & didn't get on this bloody thing , glad you got going though....looks like a shitload of fun was had

im wade by the way

cheers

Hey 77hatch, (btw whats your real name :P)

Whats the chances of you being able to swap a yoke from one tail shaft to the other for me today or tomorrow? I have another diff center to go in and a single piece tail shaft from an earlier celica. It looks like the right length but it has the wrong yoke on it :(.

Ill PM you my mobile number :). There would be a couple of cartons in it for you ;).

#205 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

haha, not a problem mate. I was just desperate to get the bloody thing going, uni joints are easy when you know how ;). Beer is the universal currency ;).

#206 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

I've attached a page from the ANDRA rule book & high lighted the appropriate area, It is faint.
Personally I'd fit one as you have already had tail shaft issues.

Attached Files

#207 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

Not a problem, i imagine the car could with traction would be doing mid to low 13's. Since its a two piece tail shaft, do i need two tail shaft loops? I would imagine that i would install one in the middle of each length of tail shaft

#208 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

One of the shafts is supported by the centre bearing, so should need one on that shaft.

#209 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

When it snapped it twisted the entire center bearing spined area in half. Once i unbolted it from the car it just fell out...

#210 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I scored a free air compressor tank the other day so i decided to give it a quick and nasty paint job to tidy it up (i forgot to take before pics, but imagine rusty with an inch of grease all over it. It came with a small compressor pump (requires 1hp) so i've pulled it apart, tanked the block and honed the cylinder. I picked up a new crank seal for $5, should hopefully slap it back together tomorrow :). I'm just on the look out for a single phase elecy motor and ill have second air compressor. Ill link this compressor to my other one for a big increase in capacity. I think this one is like 150+L
Posted Image

#211 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

This weekend i'm going to head over to newcastle to pickup my Ovlov diff, my cousin hasnt had time to do the conversion for me so i figured id take a stab... how hard could it be :P.

Heres the jig i've made to transfer the mounts over, i've made it in two separate halves so the new diff housing is easy to install into the jig. I had no other ideas how to do it :P. Ignore my crappy welds, i couldnt be bothered setting up the welder properly :dontknow:.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I just have to workout if i need to transfer the spring mounts over or if the volvo ones are in the correct spot already. A plasma cutter/oxy would be real handy right now.

#212 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Well the volvo diff housing bolts in with out any dramas, i ended up just setting the spring hats onto the diff with the diff in the car. Once the spring was sitting correctly i tacked it in place. I'm a little paranoid about things lining up perfectly (im sure its fine but id like to check), where should i measure from/to to make sure its sitting nice and square? I was thinking from the axle flange area to maybe the lower ball joint on the front suspension or something? The pinion angle looks perfect so im happy with that i just want to make sure nothings in crooked :P.

Pics tomorrow. Hopefully on friday the stud pattern will be changed then i just need the tail shaft back and im set :). The diff ratio is 3.7:1, a fair bit taller than the old 4.11 gears. Its going to have a theoretical top speed of 250km/h now over the old 200km/h @ 7000rpm. I'm putting some slightly smaller rear tires on the back so hopefully that will shorten up the final drive a little more again :).

#213 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

Here's the finished housing
Posted Image

Posted Image

This is what i did with the handbrake cable mounts, hopefully it clears the lower control arms.
Posted Image

#214 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

Thats awesome. And a good way to avoid getting screwed around by a diff shop.

#215 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

I can see where the cost is in doing the conversion, although i could have done it a lot faster i had an oxy/acetylene torch. I used my little 4" grinder and bitchered the old housing :surrenderwave:. Its probably taken around a day worth of time to get this far. I wish i could change the stud pattern myself, its just my cheap crappy drill press's platform snapped so now it doesnt drill straight holes :(. A lathe could also be handy... Damn things are expensive :P.

Edited by jabba, 08 July 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#216 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

Love the spray booth! :spoton:

#217 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Its a room i created explicitly for jobs like this, its a custom mix of gravel, grass clippings and weeds. I find that when the grass clippings blow onto the painted surface it created a unique texture that you just dont find in other paint jobs. Also cleanup is a breeze, just paint your job and walk away. Mother nature takes care of the rest. The diff is actually curing in that booth as we speak, nothing but the best from my workshop ;).
:lol:

Edited by jabba, 08 July 2011 - 12:10 AM.

#218 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

Low bake? I like your style (or lack of it?) Reminds me of me! :)

#219 _77hatch_

_77hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

i hear there's some pretty dodgy blokes that work in diff shops ;-)

Thats awesome. And a good way to avoid getting screwed around by a diff shop.

#220 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Im hearing ya, i met a dodgy bloke the other day when i took my tail shaft in to be repaired!

#221 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

http://www.aussiev8....ag-car-sbc.html

#222 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

Damn, that engine fits with no trouble at all :P

#223 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

i'm thinking you flog the milk/juice off and hop into this, can't believe its engineered!

#224 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:59 AM

hahaha, i know. I always wanted a v8 celica. The engine bays are huge (longer again on my celica). He's wanting way too much money tho for my taste when it doesn't even come with an engine.

#225 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

i hear there's some pretty dodgy blokes that work in diff shops ;-)

Thanks to 77hatch i have a tail shaft again! Yay :).
I've fixed my exhaust up, it was bumping into the diff and had no hope of clearing the new housing so i cut the old pipe up and recycled all the mandrels and added a new 45degree piece. It now clears the diff and all the body work, i've added a few extra mounts to hold it steady to hopefully stop it rattling on the body work. Its a tight squeeze, its hugging the body work very closely with only mm's to spare in places . Hopefully tomorrow my axles will be finished, then I'm on the home stretch to getting it back on the road :D. Only a few fun jobs left, e.g. handbrake cables :P.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users