LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

I can relate to that Tiny - I have literallty 1,000,000 other priorities in life at the moment preventing my from racing and having fun!!

On another note - guess what guys, Rick (TORANR AMORE) tied the knot last Saturday. (Congrats RICK!!!). I was lucky enough to chauffeur him to the church. He had a nice line-up of wedding cars (thanks to the boys from Eastside Cruisers for offering their rides)....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#302 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Pity about the weather but the cars look bloody awesome.

#303 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

Ok couple of minor updates on the old girl.

Had my mid-section of exhaust removed, and replaced with a nice new stainless X-pipe (it replaced a really crappy reverse facing balance pipe). The exhaust note has definitely improved, both inside and outside the car. Much smoother, and the crackly/thong-slop seems to be completely gone. So very happy with that.

After that it was onto the dyno for the first time. I've clocked up around 2,000km's on the new engine and didn't know what to expect. Results came in, and I was disappointed - not that I was chasing numbers - but it put down 230 rwkW. That's no more than my old engine - with either my old hydraulic flat tappet or solid flat tappet. (New engine is a hydraulic roller - Comp Cams XR288HR - 236/242 @ 0.050 on 110LSA with .555/576 valve lift). I've estimated that 230 rwkW eqates to approx 440 HP at the Flywheel. I thought this engine might go high 400's (I see no reason why I couldn't even hit the magic 500HP / 500 ft lbs)...

Anyway, had a chat to my dyno guy, and we've agreed the missing power is most likely in my old Pro Topline iron heads that were repaired after my epic blow-up. Being on a mega tight budget I kept these old heads. With the cam grind I'm running, apparently I really need better flowing heads to see the real potential. Makes sense.

I can't remember if I already posted these figures or not, but this is what my heads flowed:

LIFT 0.200 0.300 0.400 0.500 0.600 0.700
IN 131 178 214 233 241 246
EX 98 133 158 178 191 193

Those numbers are down on the factory figures from Pro Topline - as much as 30cfm in certain areas. With appropriate porting, I'm told we can easily get at least 25cfm back out of them.

What I'm curious to know is what effect this might have?? I'd hate to spend the cash to see little or no gain. How does cfm equate to HP? If I decide to chase more power, would I better off just buying some alloy AFR's (which have higher flow figures again - eg the 195cc street heads flow as much as 40cfm more than my heads).

I should just stop thinking and be happy - but it's the nature of the game to always chase that next target down right! Will be interesting to hear what people think.

PS. Just remember the basics of my combo are as follows:

381 SBC
10.5:1 comp
Comp Cams XR288HR Hydraulic roller
Pro Topline 200cc iron heads
RPM Air-Gap dual plane
Holley 750 Ultra HP
1.75" -> 2" -> 2.5" Tri-Y's

Edited by LXCHEV, 12 May 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#304 _BLOWN V6HATCH_

_BLOWN V6HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hey, i'm in the process of building a very similar engine for my car (V6 is gone) at the moment. I have been watching with interest to see how yours performs. The only differences are, i will be using 200cc Dart iron eagles and a Victor junior manifold and probably a touch more comp. I'll be using the exact same cam though. I'm chasing around 450HP, so it looks like i could be right on the money.

450HP is nothing to sneeze at...How does it go and drive?

#305 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'd definitely say the heads are the limiting factor. No big deal mate, there are still some cheap iron heads around that flow good numbers. A mob down in Brisbane sell a SBC Iron Head that flows 295 CFM @ .600", bout 1K the set.

Edited by LX Torry Freak, 13 May 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#306 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hey Brett I wouldn't be too dissapointed with that. As long as the driveability is there till you can afford to upgrade the heads. I think its awesome that you're doing the family thing but havent given up keeping the Torana on the road.

#307 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

get a big money tin and start saving for some afrs you no ya wanna 230kw is enough for the time being wouldnt suprise me if you hit high 200s with decent heads
every engine builder ive spoken to reckons the heads are the chevys biggest weakness till you go alluminium mind you i dont think holden heads are that much better but smaller cubes seems to work better

#308 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Blown V6Hatch - If those Dart heads flow decent numbers, combined with a Victor Jnr, I'd guesstimate your engine would push very close to the magic 500HP mark. To answer your question regarding my car - it drives like a dream.... stacks of torque & heaps of grunt. It's very timid to drive, not aggressive at all, but when you really put the boot into it, she gets up and boogies. I need to race it to see where I'm sitting.

Liam - just out of curiosity, what's the company selling those cheap heads? If I do ever upgrade though, I'll be buying alloys for sure. I love the look of the AFR's, and after seeing a couple of mates with them, and seeing their insane results, I'm totally sold!

Mick - thanks mate. Yeah I'm just rapt to have the beast back on the road. I get it out every chance I get, so whilst I'm not doing heaps these days, at least it's not just collecting dust. Itching to get back into some kind of driving events though.

Ryan - haha I love the money tin suggestion. I'm already onto that, but I'm saving for a new set of front Convo's & tyres, fresh carpet, rear tyres, Tru-track, front spoiler and flare, fresh paint etc etc etc.... it's always a long list, LOL.

#309 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hey mate, they are a brand called "Pro Action" which has recently been overtaken by RHS (Racing Head Service). I can't remember his name, but some head honcho for Speedway is trying to introduce these heads as a Control part for the Sprintcars. From the US they are $349 bare. And as I said, almost 300 cfm at 600 thou. They are serious heads for cheap, only downside is they are iron.

#310 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

My current heads are "Pro Lightning" from Pro Topline - which were taken over by RHS and I believe renamed to "Pro Action". So it's gotta be the same company! I bought these heads new over 10 years ago, because they were priced well - good bang for buck! Mine are only the 200cc versions, but the 228cc versions are advertised to flow just under 300cfm @ .600 lift as you mention. That's from my very old catalogue too - so the more recent versions have probably improved by now. These heads have always had a great reputation as being cheap but serious performers.

#311 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

On the other hand Brett, my 400 was running a dirty old pair of 462 fuellie heads that were 160cc from the factory. Admittedly they were ported nicely, but still small by today's standards. I had a 246@50 .490" lift solid stick and the motor made 250 rwkw and 460hp 500 ft/lbs on the engine dyno. 700 holley dp and a victor jnr. Air speed and high torque is what's gets you moving on the street.

#312 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

My current heads are "Pro Lightning" from Pro Topline - which were taken over by RHS and I believe renamed to "Pro Action". So it's gotta be the same company! I bought these heads new over 10 years ago, because they were priced well - good bang for buck! Mine are only the 200cc versions, but the 228cc versions are advertised to flow just under 300cfm @ .600 lift as you mention. That's from my very old catalogue too - so the more recent versions have probably improved by now. These heads have always had a great reputation as being cheap but serious performers.

That's the one man! ;)

Yeah mate, me and my mentor were staggered when he chucked it on the flow bench and it flowed that much with NO portwork. They are so cheap, and you could just change all your internals (springs etc) straight over to the new one. As I said mate, they are trying to make them a control part in Aussie Speedway, so they must be pretty good!

Not to mention you are running a dual plane manifold, so it won't be making super high HP, but a nice streetable comprimise.

#313 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Mild heart attack during the week..... had the beast out and oil pressure gauge was suddenly showing between 10 and 20 PSI, whereas it usually sits around 40 - 60PSI.

I was mentally preparing myself to pull the engine and embark on a rebuild after only clocking up 3,000km's so far on this engine. But after fitting up a mechanics oil pressure gauge, the pressure was steady at around 65 - 70PSI cold, and still holding 60PSI warm. You bewdy!!!

The electric gauge will finally be coming out, and I'll be fitting an old fashioned mechanical one now. I'm converted :)

Getting itchy to race the car too.... no high hopes, but just wanna get it on the race-track.

Driving it up to Bendigo All Holden Day in a couple of weeks too. Look out for us there if anyone is going.

#314 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

good news about the oil pressure Brett, glad to see it wasnt the engine. So your old motor was running same sort of kw's? from memory you run 11's nothing to sneeze at mate
Car is looking as good as always

#315 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Yeah the old motor was putting out pretty much the exact same kw's, but it had a heaps bigger solid cam. So it'll be real interesting to see what this engine runs with the hydraulic roller. Previous best was 11.77 @ 115MPH. As long as I stay in the 11's I'll be rapt. If not, I'll be forced into more mods, LOL.

Cheers mate.

#316 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Put a 5 speed back in it :nopity:
The torque converter would hardly do any favours for rear wheel figures.

Complaints aside, yeh go sick on the heads. Plenty of good info around for DIY porting. Polishing is a no-no because it can lead to droplets forming on the walls. A rougher surface helps air/fuel become atomised and well mixed on the way in, as does having the straightest path possible from intake to chamber, which is the name of the game. Going too big in the port size and the valves can see power/torque levels drop very easily. IMO what you want is to make any tight curves/bends become more shallow and closer to a straight line. Also to have everything properly matched to the manifolds of course.

Heaps of people are now running E85 (ethanol blends) and seeing 10 - 20 rwkw gains from the fuel switch and re-tune alone. Works especially well for forced induction and I would assume the same for high comp NA motors as it runs a lot cleaner and cooler, as well as making detonation a thing of the past. Only catch is the need for fuel pump/lines/filters to suit, and the fact that it needs about 30% more getting jammed in the motor compared to average unleaded. Having a big fark-off drop tank is a bonus.

#317 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

Oh, and change the grill and headlight surrounds back IMO.

The black was such a defining part of the character of the car. Why de-personalise it to look like every other Torry? The colour of your car made it all work perfectly, and if anything was going to change, personally I would just think about finding a way to tie the black in more by adding it elsewhere for balance, like centre lines in the bars maybe.

Silver/chrome surrounds can and do work on any car, but there are very few that all black surrounds work on, and yours is one of those few. In fact, I have never liked the all black look, and never even knew that it could possibly work well and look decent, until I saw your car and had my mind changed about it. All that being said, it's still awesome either way.

#318 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

Cheers for all the info and comments mate! Yeah I'm still torn on the grill and headlight change, LOL. It's great hearing comments like yours.

#319 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

Hey Brett!
Thank goodness that the oil pressure was not a problem! *phew*!!

If your chasing a little more flow, I recall speaking with my engine builder when I bought the same heads you have.
He said the flow was so good out of the box porting wouldn't gain much.
But!!
You have te heads, so you COULD give it a bit of a go.
I've gotten the inside info on a few porting techniques and what was said above was spot on!
It's more about cleaning up what's there than anythng.
Do NOT go huge!
Clean up the radius on the short turn of the port, around the guide and just a little outside the port.
You will need a valve service afterward cause there is no doubt you will mark the valve seal face!

I gotta run, but drop us an email when you get a chance!

Good luck dude

#320 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi Mr LX chev. just spent a good 2 hours reading from the start.  excellent thread. I am in the process of finding an engine for my current 6cyl lx hatch.   The two options I am deciding on is a 350chev crate motor or ls1 conversion.  I am leaning towards the 350chev.  I am after a good reliable cruiser with nice sound and a good level of power.  no drag racing etc. why didn't you consider LS1 when you did your rebuild?

#321 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Hi Ryan,

I still prefer old school carb engines over EFI, especially since my car sees more limited km's these days, plus at this stage I'm still sticking to the traditional old school muscle car look overall.

Having said that - EFI - whether that's a retrofit to an old school engine, or a complete swap to LS1 or similar is appealing for smooth, reliable, more economical drive-ability.

When it came time for my engine rebuild after the blow-up, I never considered LS1 simply due to the cost of the conversion. I know it's gotten much easier these days, however there is still a very significant cost involved to do it well and do it properly. So much would have to change - exhaust, trans/box, tailshaft, wiring, engine conversion/mounts/sump, plumbing etc etc etc.... (snowball!!). I wonder what the average cost is these days? You're in a much different boat though, as you'd be converting from a 6 cyl. So the cost difference might not be much different.

PS. Since this thread has been dragged up from more than 2 years ago - not much has changed with the old girl - besides a move onto the Club Permit Scheme. $70 rego, it's the best thing I've ever done - although I certainly miss the custom plates.

Here's some random photos from recent times, just out and about having fun.....

The kids are growing up real quick, and we've been involved in some weddings which is always great fun....

LXCHEV_SandownV8s_2014.jpg

LXCHEV_Steves_Wedding_01.jpg

LXCHEV_Steves_Wedding_02.jpg

LXCHEV_Steel_Bumper_Sunday_2014.jpg

LXCHEV_Haydons_Wedding_01.jpg

#322 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

Nice Machines Brett!

#323 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Brett.  One minute I decide 350 chev and then i talk to someone and they make me start thinking ls1 is the way to go. ATM  i have ordered a new set of 18 inch ROH wheels, Once they arrive I'll finsih fitting of my flare kit.  I am selling my gold 4 door so when that goes i will then paint the hatch and fit new drop tank..  I'm gunna leave the running gear (6 cyl) for 12 months or so till i decide which is the best engine option.  either way i have to replace everything so i suppose a bit different to you.  i'll need a new motor, box, diff and shaft puls some brake upgrades. 

Once shes' painted up it will look the goods but just not have the Hp to match but as you know all too well these things take time.

Oh and i have a kids and wife that keep me busy..

#324 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

Mate I did exactly the same thing when I first built mine. I installed the body kit and wheels, suspension, and painted it, but retained the 202 six banger for a while first. All the go-fast driveline bits came later on as I saved the cash. The only exception was the 9" conversion, that came very early with the 6, as I was sick of breaking Banjo diff centres and axles. Banjos don't like 10" wide rims with a manual being driven by an eager 20 year old!

#325 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

hey guys, i own a uc hatchback and need to get it registered, two owners of this car before me put in a drop tank but i do not have any evidence that the engineer signed off on it... dose anyone know someone to get it passed/?? live in nsw and am willing to pay :) !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users