wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

Yeah,I know its not a Torana,but anyway...

I had a look at a rundown HK monaro today.It was a bit of a street machine once apon a time,its been painted and retrimmed.

Paint is buggerred ,trim is mismatched or missing.No motor or box.It has a banjo.

Its been sitting in the weather now for many years,last rego late 80's,but the body,while far from mint,is surprisingly solid.

Im trying to decode the tag.I've been to oldholden.com,but can only figure out that the car was Silver Mink.(1704)

These are the tag details

BODY 61837KR-00356-H5

TRIM 1150-10X

PAINT 567-1704

1704 is silver mink metallic I think,and H5 is Sydney build.

I will put up the body number if it will help.

Any assistance appreciated,Cheers,Craig.

#2 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

I had a look at a rundown HK monaro today.It was a bit of a street machine once apon a time,its been painted and retrimmed.

Paint is buggerred ,trim is mismatched or missing.No motor or box.It has a banjo.

Its been sitting in the weather now for many years,last rego late 80's,but the body,while far from mint,is surprisingly solid.

Im trying to decode the tag.I've been to oldholden.com,but can only figure out that the car was Silver Mink.(1704)

BODY 61837KR-00356-H5

TRIM 1150-10X

PAINT 567-1704

BODY 61837KR-00356-H5 i think you will find that should be BODY 81837KR-00356-H5 which is a 327 gts hk monaro has it got the small vin tag aswell??? below is what the plate means

81837=327
K=HK
R=RIGHT HAND DRIVE
00356= MODEL SEQUENCE NUMBER BUILT AT THAT PLANT
H5=SYDNEY BUILT

1704 =SILVER MINK METALLIC
10X=BLACK VYNAL

that's if that plate belongs to that body!!!!!!

Edited by bullitljv8, 23 July 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#3 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for that Bullitt.You are right about the number.
I didn't notice the small tag.Where is it located on a HK?
Is there any way to tell if it was an auto or a manual?The original column is missing to.Its been replaced by a tree speed manual one.

How can you tell if it is a GTS?

#4 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for that Bullitt.You are right about the number.
I didn't notice the small tag.Where is it located on a HK?
Is there any way to tell if it was an auto or a manual?The original column is missing to.Its been replaced by a tree speed manual one.

How can you tell if it is a GTS?

as i said if that tag does belong to that car its a GTS 327 small skinny vin tag is on left hand side top ledge above heater box if its a genuine manual 327 there will be a small hump in the left hand side trans tunnel where it meets the firewall its for the saginaw shifter so it dont hit the floor when changing gears also in the boot there will be a hump in front of the petrol tank floor this is for the salisbury 10 bolt diff

as to weather its a GTS hard to tell as many people can make a gts with the right bits i really would need to see it does it have the shifter quadrant box still fitted the box almost sits between the seats and the shifter for an auto sits on top where as the saginaw shifter bolts to the cross member

i have looked at quite a few monaros for our club here in s.a and have been amazed at the number of base models done up to be a GTS

Edited by bullitljv8, 23 July 2009 - 07:34 PM.

#5 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

Heres a shot of the tag. It dosnt look like its ever been off.

Posted Image

I think I should have taken a few more photos.

I'll have another look next week when I can and get some more info.

A silver mink 327 car would be my ultimate car...

I hope I can talk him out of owning it.

#6 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:42 PM

Heres a shot of the tag. It dosnt look like its ever been off.

Posted Image

I think I should have taken a few more photos.

I'll have another look next week when I can and get some more info.

A silver mink 327 car would be my ultimate car...

I hope I can talk him out of owning it.

mate that tag pic is a genuine hk 327 tag i wouldnt leave till i had it on a trailer!!!!!! does he know anything about monaros or not!!!!

#7 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

He doesnt seem real keen to sell it,says he was offered 10 but said no.He just started working with me 2 weeks ago,and I gave him a lift home today.

Talks about "fixing it up one day",but by hearing his life circumstances,I have my doubts.

He may be one of those blokes who will never sell,no matter how much you offer him.

I gotta think hard about how to get this car....

And another redraw......What the hell.

#8 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hey Craig,
PM sent,

Also check the fire wall above where the wiring loom plugs into it,
will have a number stamped into it,
that will need to line up with the other numbers,
the ones on the VIN plate as well as the body identification plate.

Cheers
Chris.

ps
I know where there is a HK 327 GTS at Morningside in Brisbane,
the guy has been offered big piles of money from lots of people,
has been sitting in the same place for the last 10 years that I know of,
and there is not much left, the steel worms are eating it fast,
the guys still wont sell, and I am sad to say is probably past the point of restoration.

Edited by big chris, 23 July 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#9 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Mate sounds like a great thing to own,i sold a run down blue 327 a couple of years ago on australian muscle cars,its in the sold section way back,its very ugly,but was nearly all there.Never wanted to sell but had to many cars and people only live so long,anyway got 57,500,had 60+ on it and took 2 weeks to sell,hope you get it for a good price.check for hump in floor pan where tank is attached to floor it is behind rear seat this hump is for the big diff,should have huge tank with same pressing to follow the floor shape for big diff,there,s also breather holes in different spot where fuel neck join,s tank i posted pics when i sold mine on australianmusclecarsales have a look,radius rods,you,ll see mounting holes to body. :D

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

BODY 61837KR-00356-H5

TRIM 1150-10X

PAINT 567-1704

If it is the real deal it's definitely worth having.
1150 is silver mink, and 110X is black vinyl.
A silver mink with black trim GTS 327 - worth more than any Torana except maybe line ball with an A9X or a '73 Bathurst XU-1.

I've got Sydney build 366 recorded, so look for a firewall chassis number close to HK50000SS. VIN should be close to 81837KH561000 (skinny tag on the cowl). It'll be a type 2 GTS327 meaning it should (or would have) had a Canadian 327 with long nose water pump and high mount alternator. I might even have it's original engine in my shed as the one I have is awful close to being right for that build number.

I've attached photos of the Saginaw hump and the 10 bolt hump. Plus another showing the big tank breather hole. Saginaw hump is the odd looking pressing forward of the shifter hole on the passenger's side of the transmission tunnel. 10 bolt hump is along the front edge of where the fuel tank bolts in. Vapour hole is the one with the pipe running through it. There are also brackets attached to the RH chassis rail in the boot for the 6" rims. Radius rod bracket holes are on the leading edge of the rear inner guard (3 x holes per side), unless it has the brackets there already.
The photo showing the firewall shows you 2 things. Firstly you can see the chassis number location, just above the angled slot over to the right of the photo. Secondly the V8 HK speedo cable hole which is the one just above the diff yoke in the photo. This hole is holesawed, not pressed like the others.

#11 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

page 86 australianmusclecarsales in sold section,page 86 today but will change as time goes by,have a look at pics will help you, under back seat in wheel well you,ll see where radius rods bolt in and other tell tale body differences.good luck :spoton:

#12 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

page 86 australianmusclecarsales in sold section,page 86 today but will change as time goes by,have a look at pics will help you, under back seat in wheel well you,ll see where radius rods bolt in and other tell tale body differences.good luck :spoton:

hey 73BATHXU1HTBATH350 i remember that car well as i nearly sold my lj v8 gtr to get it!!! you should have kept it m8 the 327 is the ultimate hk i think!!! as much as i love my 307 hk gts monaro i will always want a 327!!!!

#13 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Just had a look.Its much more complete than the one above.
I was wondering if the wheelarch molds were missing or never fitted?
Is there any way to tell from tags regarding this,or were they just dealer/nasco optioned.
Could be one less thing I need to find if I can get my hands on it.Cheers,Craig.

#14 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

Just had a look.Its much more complete than the one above.
I was wondering if the wheelarch molds were missing or never fitted?
Is there any way to tell from tags regarding this,or were they just dealer/nasco optioned.
Could be one less thing I need to find if I can get my hands on it.Cheers,Craig.

hey craig wheel arch moulds were fitted from factory!!! they do not state that on the plates!!! rares and harrisons are making repo ones as we speak!!!

Edited by bullitljv8, 24 July 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#15 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

EGGSSELLANT.I have a bunch of nos ones here,but I know none are HK GTS

#16 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

yeh bullitljv8,it was a very sad day,i owned it for 20years and drove it about,it is the ultimate hk but i still have 2 hk 307,s one auto and a 4speed,also a ht350 and the toughtest LJ 73 bathurst with detroit locker,with the family growing needed a modern car so bought a hsv gts,its the best lounge room on wheels,but am sore about the loss of it,now a good bloke owns it and treasures it. :cry:
cheers craig.

#17 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

yeh bullitljv8,it was a very sad day,i owned it for 20years and drove it about,it is the ultimate hk but i still have 2 hk 307,s one auto and a 4speed,also a ht350 and the toughtest LJ 73 bathurst with detroit locker,with the family growing needed a modern car so bought a hsv gts,its the best lounge room on wheels,but am sore about the loss of it,now a good bloke owns it and treasures it. :cry:
cheers craig.

hey craig your hk 307 4 speed is a very rare car in itself i would even go as far as to say a lot harder to find than a 327 now days

#18 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

yeh agree,and is straightest body you,ll find, you,ve got a few great old holdens,i,ve got an old brougham hk 307 was resprayed inca gold, it was in back of smash repairs near newcastle no one wanted it, so i went and rescued it and put in shed up the farm.Everything was rechromed all hard work done but not assembled,apparently it had been there for over 10 years. :blink:

#19 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

yeh agree,and is straightest body you,ll find, you,ve got a few great old holdens,i,ve got an old brougham hk 307 was resprayed inca gold, it was in back of smash repairs near newcastle no one wanted it, so i went and rescued it and put in shed up the farm.Everything was rechromed all hard work done but not assembled,apparently it had been there for over 10 years. :blink:

hey craig yeah i love my old holdens m8 my hk brougham i have needs a full resto but its got its original motor and i got the books with it which is a big bonus!!! im currently restoring my sons lx ss hatchback when finished i will start on the brougham mine is burgandy metallic i wish it was inca gold to go with my monaro but hey at least i have one!!!

#20 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

yel327,

the picture you posted above of the diff hump shows a banjo diff in the car and the brake line going from the diff to a bracket on the floor pan on the right hand side of the tunnel.

I had thought that a HK with a factory fitted 10 bolt uses a longer brake hose which runs from the diff to a bracket on the left hand side of the tunnel like the one in this photo, which is of a Type one car:

Posted Image

If the car wot179 is looking at is a genuine 327, should he be looking for the brake line bracket in the position in my photo, or do they perhaps vary in location depending on Type 1/2 or build plant or maybe HT/G were different.

D.

#21 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

yel327,

the picture you posted above of the diff hump shows a banjo diff in the car and the brake line going from the diff to a bracket on the floor pan on the right hand side of the tunnel.

I had thought that a HK with a factory fitted 10 bolt uses a longer brake hose which runs from the diff to a bracket on the left hand side of the tunnel like the one in this photo, which is of a Type one car:

Posted Image

If the car wot179 is looking at is a genuine 327, should he be looking for the brake line bracket in the position in my photo, or do they perhaps vary in location depending on Type 1/2 or build plant or maybe HT/G were different.

D.

The one in my photo is a HT GTS350 from Pagewood. Genuine original car, just had all it's running gear and other good stuff removed many years ago to go onto a van. All the van crap (including the banjo) ended up back in the car which is how I found it. Photo is intended only to show the hump. Not sure about the brake line bracket. I'll look at my 2 x GTS 327's. One is Pagewood, the other Acacia Ridge. Both 1968 (US engine).

#22 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

G'day Craig, that mate of mine who is the spray painter who lives near your place owns the only factory black HK327 GTS ever built and there's not much he doesn't know about monaros. He us to be the president of the monaro club and if you need to have chat with him let me know and I'll pass his number onto you.

Ruts

#23 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

Thanks mate.Still chasing this.I'll keep you posted.

#24 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:30 AM

The one in my photo is a HT GTS350 from Pagewood. Genuine original car, just had all it's running gear and other good stuff removed many years ago to go onto a van. All the van crap (including the banjo) ended up back in the car which is how I found it. Photo is intended only to show the hump. Not sure about the brake line bracket. I'll look at my 2 x GTS 327's. One is Pagewood, the other Acacia Ridge. Both 1968 (US engine).

Both Pagewood GTS327 and 307 auto GTS have brake line bracket as per above photo. Acacia Ridge car is too hard to see. Probably all HK Salisbury are like that.

#25 _blameyone_

_blameyone_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

If it is the real deal it's definitely worth having.
1150 is silver mink, and 110X is black vinyl.
A silver mink with black trim GTS 327 - worth more than any Torana except maybe line ball with an A9X or a '73 Bathurst XU-1.

I've got Sydney build 366 recorded, so look for a firewall chassis number close to HK50000SS. VIN should be close to 81837KH561000 (skinny tag on the cowl). It'll be a type 2 GTS327 meaning it should (or would have) had a Canadian 327 with long nose water pump and high mount alternator. I might even have it's original engine in my shed as the one I have is awful close to being right for that build number.

I've attached photos of the Saginaw hump and the 10 bolt hump. Plus another showing the big tank breather hole. Saginaw hump is the odd looking pressing forward of the shifter hole on the passenger's side of the transmission tunnel. 10 bolt hump is along the front edge of where the fuel tank bolts in. Vapour hole is the one with the pipe running through it. There are also brackets attached to the RH chassis rail in the boot for the 6" rims. Radius rod bracket holes are on the leading edge of the rear inner guard (3 x holes per side), unless it has the brackets there already.
The photo showing the firewall shows you 2 things. Firstly you can see the chassis number location, just above the angled slot over to the right of the photo. Secondly the V8 HK speedo cable hole which is the one just above the diff yoke in the photo. This hole is holesawed, not pressed like the others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users