INSURANCE ENQUIRY

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

Are shannons any good for agreed value for my Torry, seeing ive spent thousands on it, dont really wanna hear its market value hovers around the $2500 region.

Anyone got any other companies they recommend, even for the younger guys like me.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#2 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:41 AM

I havent got an issue with shannons insuring the car for what its really worth(not market value). Depends how young you are, Im 24 and have had insurance since I was 23 with shannons

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:18 AM

Will normally do it for the agreed value after seeing the car, or alternatively emailing in photo's. Get in contact with your local manager, not the call centre.

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:27 AM

Didnt have much success with Shannons on "agreed" value myself, just offered me "their value". I actually took it to them at Cheltenham.
Got the value I wanted at Uniquecar ins, just sent the photos in. And so far its been worth it as they had to handle a smash repair job that must have got close to $4500(didnt get the bills myself), slightly below my agreed value. Dont know how they are for younger drivers though.

#5 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:42 AM

Im really happy with shannons.. i insured my lj with them 2 years ago & i was only 19.. They insured it for $7,000 which was agreed value. Now im 21 & i have insured my lx with them for $8,000.. apparently now they insure it on how much you bought the car for not market value. I bought my lx for $7000 but i told them about a few mods that i had done so they insured it for $8000. They usually just ask you to send them a picture so they can see if its really worth what you say. i found shannons to be alot cheaper than other insurance companies too, one company wanted me to pay more per year for 3rd party than shannons wanted for full insurance.. & another company wouldnt even insure my torana coz it was 'too old'! How old are you jnr ate?

#6 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

I rang Shannon's and got knocked back because my car was not
insured or registered for the previous 3 months.

I argued with the guy for about 20 minutes.

Basically they said insure it with someone else and come see us in a year!

I have to admit, after watching thier ads and reading all about them
I was pretty dissapointed.

They can go-go-get-fu*%#$

[first time I have had to use a smiley in anger....]

Edited by Leakey, 28 March 2006 - 08:10 AM.

#7 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:16 AM

l find Shannons excellent, in my recent experiences they are the only Ins compnay thats keeping up with the rising values of muscle cars in general. l nominated agreed values for both my cars and they agreed where no other Co would.

Good luck.

#8 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:37 AM

shannons wouldnt insure me either so i'm going to go with Just cars. im 18 and third party f&t is costing 700ish a year.

Joanne how much did it cost to insure the LJ when u were 19 at shannons?

#9 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

I've heard of a company called virgil insurance (www.virgilins.com - i think) who let YOU nominate an agreed value, within reason, you tell em your mods and they think about it for an hour and send you a reply saying yay or nay, and cheap cost too...

#10 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:22 AM

^ I think you'll find it is Vigil, not Virgil, he was in the Thunderbirds.

Thunderbirds are Go!

Edited by Yella SLuR, 28 March 2006 - 09:22 AM.

#11 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

l find Shannons excellent, in my recent experiences they are the only Ins compnay thats keeping up with the rising values of muscle cars in general. l nominated agreed values for both my cars and they agreed where no other Co would.

Same here I told them what I wanted it insured for and that wasn`t a problem,like Mondie states they are the only ones up with current prices.
Vigils are the ones who put market prices in the back of the "Just Cars" and have XU-1`s at $22,500 for a mint one,definately not on the money with that estimate.

#12 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

I'm insured with Vigil and have been since i bought the monaro.

To relate my story.. i had the car insured for market value ( stupid me.. luckily nothing happened to it in the time!) and at the 2005 Car festival Vigil had a stand.
The guy on the stand was good enough to actually come and look at the car, and raised the value to an agreed value policy of $20,000 on the spot with the shake of a hand. THe premium only went up $50 per year too!

Ive never had a claim through them, but to deal with as a cistomer so-far theyve been good.

Best of luck.. insurance can be a nightmare!

(OH.. ive told this story before so i wont again.. but i too had a bad experience with shannons over the phone.. Vowed i'd never deal with them again, and i havent needed/wanted to)

Cheers.

#13 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

As a 22 year old driver with an ordianary driving history, I have been only able to get insurance from RACQ for the past few years. Now I have inquired about Shannons. RACQ quoted me in excess off $2000 for comprehensive insurance, and charged me over $400 a year for 3rd party fire and theft. The market value of an SS torana through RACQ is $3500 and I had a $2000 excess if I did crash.
I got a quote 2 weeks ago from shannons for full comprehensive insurance for $700/ year and an agreed value of $15,000 and an excess of only $650.
They seem to give a pretty good deal from my dealings and will be changing over to them asap.
Matt

#14 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:25 AM

My 2 Cents,

I am 19 years old & had a car stolen (was market value with Just Car as they are the olny one who would touch it).
When i bought the LJ I called GIO and they have Vintage Policy for cars older than 29/30 years and is a Comprehensive Motor Policy but you cannot gain a NCB rating (which doesnt matter cause if you ever leave you can get your inception & claim history which calculates an NCB for all Insurer's, I am an Insurance Broker by the way), Agreed Value of $6000 (i paid $3,900 for it) & cost me $230 total. Very professional service over the phone & no hassles at all.

They probably wont touch a car that has been too modified but for a nice cruiser with Mags, exhaust, stereo I had no probs at all.

Edited by LOWS2, 28 March 2006 - 10:27 AM.

#15 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

Joanne how much did it cost to insure the LJ when u were 19 at shannons?

When i was 19 it cost me around $800 a year.. apparently shannons go on driver history, not age.. which was good for me coz id had my licence for 2 years, but i hadnt driven at all, so i had an excellent driving history :D

#16 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

I'm with Shannons and they have been Fantastic, i got an agreed value over the phone with all the mods listed with full comp. I pay $52 a month and the only restriction is no one under 30 years of age can drive it.

#17 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

Im with Vigil. The Torana is insured for $45,000 and only cost me $620 per annum. No restrictions on frequency of usage ( but no drivers under 25 ), just have to have a fuel cut out and kill switch.
They were Ok with the mods.

#18 salxu1

salxu1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:40 AM

Shannon's had a look at my XU1 when I was in Canberra a couple of weeks ago with the Canberra Torana Club ( was a good day). The guy asked if I would be happy with $50000 of cover :spoton: . he sent the paper work out last week and the cost is $516. The quote is open for 3 months. The only down side I dont retain the wreck if its totaled :cry: .

Ian

#19 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:46 AM

Im with Vigil. The Torana is insured for $45,000 and only cost me $620 per annum. No restrictions on frequency of usage ( but no drivers under 25 ), just have to have a fuel cut out and kill switch.
They were Ok with the mods.

DD: Who's your account manager! I need to talk to them!! I pay more than that for half the valuation!:furious: I need to bust some balls i think ;) :spoton:

As youve said though, ive got no restrictions other than all driver's must be named on the policy or theyre not covered, and mods must be street leagl!

Cheers mate :)

#20 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

Shannon's had a look at my XU1 when I was in Canberra a couple of weeks ago with the Canberra Torana Club ( was a good day). The guy asked if I would be happy with $50000 of cover :spoton: . he sent the paper work out last week and the cost is $516. The quote is open for 3 months. The only down side I dont retain the wreck if its totaled :cry: .

Ian

You should automatically have salvage rights once the car is 35 years old with Shannons. If the car is too young you can pay an extra 5% to obtain them based on my dealings with them earlier this week :spoton:

#21 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

Ian, just get them to add salvage rights, it's only about $5/annum extra. It is not automatic.

#22 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

$50 per year I think you'll find Yella and Ian.

I am with Shannons, but I will be getting a new quote from Vigil once the car cracks 30yrs old in Sept......

Shannons provide a free windscreen every year if you want one, thats one thing I like about them, and they were prepared to take on heavily modified vehicles when no-one else would.

Grant..

#23 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:35 PM

Vigil take on "heavily" modified cars as well as projects/restorations, they come under "laid up" insurance.

#24 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

Yes, Tinkers is correct.

I did a comparison between Shannons and Vigil and found them to be on even par as far as cost, policy benefits, and restrictions go.
I chose Vigil as they didn't need to see my car in the flesh ( not even photos ). I just gave them the all of the ID numbers, rego etc and they did the rest.

Tiny: I spoke with a lady named Maureen Cheesman on 1300 134 054

Edited by Dirty Deeds, 30 March 2006 - 03:49 PM.

#25 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the tip Tiny.

I spoke to Vigil, after Shannons told me to insure with someone else for
a while, then come and see them. (my car is 3 month unregistered.)
Seems they wont look at my stock 6 cyl' until 1/. she's registered
and 2/. been insured by someone else!??

Vigil have given me a very competitive quote. Their criteria for insurance
was down to earth and realistic, especially agreed value. I was so impressed,
I rang the General Manager, Ken Brown and told him of our little community.
He had a look at the forum and had this to say in an email -

Hi Mark,

Had a cruise around the site today, some very interesting comments, experiences
& stories etc. Comments by "Tiny" are much appreciated & typical
of our activities conducted whilst @ Events Shows etc. I actually attended
the show he refers to ( together with one of our local BDO's, Lorne )

Vigil offers Agreed Values on all policies, young drivers are welcome < 21 etc,
so long as the Mods are legal, we will insure the car. Should you have an
accident /claim, you have your choice of repairer. ALL policies, include a 24
Roadside Assist facility ( no extra cost added into the Premium)

This is starting to be come a sales pitch, but at the end of the day, we specialize
in insuring modified vehicles in addition to stock classics .

Many thanks for taking time out to chat initially with Nic, & I look forward
to assisting lots of your members.

PS - I own a CV8Z never use it, drive a 66 Mustang Coupe as a daily user,
work vehicle.

Ken Brown
National Manager
Vigil Underwriting Agencies Pty Ltd
ABN 74 082 099 769

T 03 9855 5773
F 03 9855 5412
E [email protected]
W www.vigilins.com.au

OK, so he drives a Ford, a hot Ford at that!! but more importantly owns
an even hotter Holden!!

- Leakey

Edited by Leakey, 30 March 2006 - 05:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users