8th month 73 xu1 detroit locker

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#1 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hi all,my 8th month 73 bathurst xu1 is fitted with a detroit locker and fine spline axles, that have been there for the past 22years, also has oil cooler fitted which is not factory,was wondering if there is anyway of telling off the tags if it was oridginally fitted from new,also has full bond rollcage,so maybe did some club racing,carn,t locate oridginal owner for any history.
cheers craig.

#2 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hi Craig,
Is it Glacier white and was it ever in NSW?
PM me if you like.

Cheers Greg..

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Do you mean it's on Ebay?
R

#4 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

sorry rorym,this computer stuff is fairly new to me have a bit of an idea though,stuck it in wrong spot,getting joshua to move for me ,its my car thats been covered up for a long time,and yes to the question its n.s.w was white but was repainted white,oridginally orchid metalic,i,ve had it for 22years when bought was a very faded white,it was restored and finished in 93 went to all holden day won top oridginal xu1 moved to country played car shows did a few laps around track here,last 5 years been put to sleep.
craig.

#5 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

craig it might have been a n.s.w police car,
my 73 bath xu1 was a cop car orchid and was painted white
if i knew your eng no or dealer code or vin no i might be able to tell you,
when these 73 bath xu1 were auction off the ones in the know got them and raced them
nsw cops got about 30 of them w.a about 10
vin

#6 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

hey vin been told this was a possability,8d11pch290218j
jp391820.thanks for any help.
craig.

#7 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

craig your dealer code is 865 which is metro motors morley w.a,
they got 12 73 bath xu1 i think they were police cars but can not find this out
someone from w.a might tel us if there was any g.t.r or xu1 police cars in w.a
my was a n.s.w police car the's cars were badged as g.t.r's and no rear spoiler
so as your car got a xu1 boot lid my you can see were the g.t.r badge was looking inside of boot
and centre hole for spoiler not right in boot,my is dealer 48 n.s.w government
vin

#8 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Under the 1973 C.A.M.S. GROUP C Rules oil coolers were permitted along with roll cages and detroit lockers etc etc etc..........

Sounds like your car may have some race history waiting to be discovered Craig ?

#9 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

thanks for the help,mine didn,t have a rear spoiler when i bought it,not sure if the same one was used in restoration, tryed to keep all oridginal parts though,i located a rear factory spoiler and fitted it.
craig.

#10 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

also another strange thing,it has a oil return line in sump below carbys,its about a 15mm peice of pipe about 100mm bent upward toward carbs i left it as was,the car was missing tripples when bought and only had a twin throat strongberg,it now has tripples.
craig.

#11 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

sounds like it mite have been turboed at one stage if there is a return tube to the sump.

#12 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

you are very lucky it still as origional eng

#13 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

yeh i didn,t even know these cars existed,when he handed over paperwork,he said how does it feel to own a bathurst xu1,and i looked at him like what,12 momths later saw one in unique cars and rang him and bought that fiv antonio book yipeee.this was 22years ago though,you could still buy them second hand on parramatta road in good condition for $6,000. :huh:

#14 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

If its got a Detroit Locker,i say might be a Ex Race car,only ever heard of your car and one other with a Banjo Detroit Locker,and the HDT Race LJ XU-1's had them,not sure on other racing teams in the day having the Detroit Lockers other than HDT Team,i dont think any of the 1973 Bathurst LJ XU-1 on the JP Engine List had Banjo Detroit Lockers,seems only HDT got the Banjo Detroit Lockers for there LJ XU-1's from Holden

#15 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

If its got a Detroit Locker,i say might be a Ex Race car,only ever heard of your car and one other with a Banjo Detroit Locker,and the HDT Race LJ XU-1's had them,not sure on other racing teams in the day having the Detroit Lockers other than HDT Team,i dont think any of the 1973 Bathurst LJ XU-1 on the JP Engine List had Banjo Detroit Lockers,seems only HDT got the Banjo Detroit Lockers for there LJ XU-1's from Holden

it,s got a detroit locker,thats what thread was started about UFOXU1 has seen the car recently,which has got me interested in car again, i couldn,t understand why scotty lay under car with torch so long,but anyway the day i picked up car,the owner was frantic about someone stealing his dope plants,i was shocked with whole episode,and couldn,t pay him and get out of there quick enough,as i walked out door he said the car had been raced and was a bathurst xu1,i said to myself you are tripping theres not such thing.i don,t beleive its a speical race car of anykind but it has all the goodies,arvid sold it to do up a lj s torana which he had cut roof off,so i was pleased to make a clean getaway.

#16 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

graig i am looking at a photo of your car in aust muscle car issue 34 page 33 eng no 391820
looks as if they are rally tires and is that a antenna in front guard about 450mm from windscreen thats were my is
i think byron rang me about this car, so someone on this forum might know were it was racing by the photo
vin

#17 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

it,s got a detroit locker,thats what thread was started about UFOXU1 has seen the car recently,which has got me interested in car again, i couldn,t understand why scotty lay under car with torch so long,but anyway the day i picked up car,the owner was frantic about someone stealing his dope plants,i was shocked with whole episode,and couldn,t pay him and get out of there quick enough,as i walked out door he said the car had been raced and was a bathurst xu1,i said to myself you are tripping theres not such thing.i don,t beleive its a speical race car of anykind but it has all the goodies,arvid sold it to do up a lj s torana which he had cut roof off,so i was pleased to make a clean getaway.

Well your car and the Strike Me Pink V8 LJ XU-1 that came to Tassy in Early 1974 from Victoria,they are the only Two LJ's i know of Having a Banjo Detroit Locker Diff,and The HDT Race LJ XU-1's had them and Joe Felice Orange V8 LJ XU-1 Prototype should of had one as the Detriot Locker was Built for the V8 LJ XU-1.
It be worth looking to see if your car has some race history,the SMP V8 LJ XU-1 that came to Tassy had Special Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fins,if you watch the chevron GTR XU-1 Torana DVD and go to menu and click on Bathurst 1973 and watch for a few minutes,brocky pulls up in HDT LJ XU-1 No. 1 Car,and the HDT Mechanics take the driver Side Rear wheel off,once Wheel off please pause the DVD and check the HDT Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fin.
Has your Car got these cooling Fins on it,if so start checking its History ok.
Banjo Detroit Locker Diff Centre and if got Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fins,it is a Special Rear end and i be checking its History

#18 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

There was a Purple V8 LJ XU-1,Owned by a Mr. Draskovic,Who was the Leading Foreman of the GMH Pagewood Plant in Sydney N.S.W He Bought this Purple V8 LJ XU-1 off GMH,So a Harry Kremetis from Greenacre Sydney wrote in to Unique Car Mag in August 2000 issue of Unique Car Magazine,now if your car was Purple to begin with and has a Banjo Detroit Locker with fine Spline Axles and if its got the cooling fins drum on the Rear brakes and been from NSW,It might be the one Mr.Draskovic owned,be worth checking its History i say.

#19 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

craig your dealer code is 865 which is metro motors morley w.a,
they got 12 73 bath xu1 i think they were police cars but can not find this out
someone from w.a might tel us if there was any g.t.r or xu1 police cars in w.a
my was a n.s.w police car the's cars were badged as g.t.r's and no rear spoiler
so as your car got a xu1 boot lid my you can see were the g.t.r badge was looking inside of boot
and centre hole for spoiler not right in boot,my is dealer 48 n.s.w government
vin

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

graig i am looking at a photo of your car in aust muscle car issue 34 page 33 eng no 391820
looks as if they are rally tires and is that a antenna in front guard about 450mm from windscreen thats were my is
i think byron rang me about this car, so someone on this forum might know were it was racing by the photo
vin

when i picked up car,on the way out he was telling me it was a bathurst special,said it was raced and handed me that photo,people on muscle cars pointed out clear front blinkers so i didn,t think this picture was the real thing.

#21 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

Are you guys certain dealer 865 is Metro Motors at the time this car was sold? I've been told at that time it was allocated to a NSW dealer. I'll ask some more and get back.

#22 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

great pics mate,well done, one day i,ll figure out how to post a picture this typing is killing me. :clap:

#23 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Well your car and the Strike Me Pink V8 LJ XU-1 that came to Tassy in Early 1974 from Victoria,they are the only Two LJ's i know of Having a Banjo Detroit Locker Diff,and The HDT Race LJ XU-1's had them and Joe Felice Orange V8 LJ XU-1 Prototype should of had one as the Detriot Locker was Built for the V8 LJ XU-1.
It be worth looking to see if your car has some race history,the SMP V8 LJ XU-1 that came to Tassy had Special Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fins,if you watch the chevron GTR XU-1 Torana DVD and go to menu and click on Bathurst 1973 and watch for a few minutes,brocky pulls up in HDT LJ XU-1 No. 1 Car,and the HDT Mechanics take the driver Side Rear wheel off,once Wheel off please pause the DVD and check the HDT Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fin.
Has your Car got these cooling Fins on it,if so start checking its History ok.
Banjo Detroit Locker Diff Centre and if got Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fins,it is a Special Rear end and i be checking its History

dont want to sound like a smart a but those rear brakes drums they used were just off caravans

#24 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

dont want to sound like a smart a but those rear brakes drums they used were just off caravans

No, thet were not off Caravans,they were made by A.B.S in Adelaide
Spoke to the Guy that Bought the Company out,he worked there in the 1970's when it was A.B.S and he bought it out and he told me they made 10 pair of Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fins for Harry Firth's HDT Organisation to fit LJ Torana's

#25 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

No, thet were not off Caravans,they were made by A.B.S in Adelaide
Spoke to the Guy that Bought the Company out,he worked there in the 1970's when it was A.B.S and he bought it out and he told me they made 10 pair of Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fins for Harry Firth's HDT Organisation to fit LJ Torana's

as for rear brake drums the ones on the car way back then were fried and badly scored,they,ll be in one off the sheds under years of parts,found the front ones they look to be stock,back to how can you tell if the locker was in car from new,as was an option i thought heaps of people would have ordered it,i hate the slip in limited slip diffs,direct drive is much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users