xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

as for rear brake drums the ones on the car way back then were fried and badly scored,they,ll be in one off the sheds under years of parts,found the front ones they look to be stock,back to how can you tell if the locker was in car from new,as was an option i thought heaps of people would have ordered it,i hate the slip in limited slip diffs,direct drive is much better.

I think the only Diff on Option was the Limited Slip type of Banjo,Not a Detroit Locker Banjo Diff,but the Detroit Locker should of been in the 200-1972 LJ XU-1 that had the Sprintmasters wheels,as the Sprintmaster Fitted LJ XU-1 were to use up the V8 XU-1 Wheels,but who knows.
Well the Diff in your car should have alot of grime on it etc,thats if not cleaned up,all depending if housing been cleaned up i Guess,I say best bet is to pull the Banjo Centre Out and see if its just a Banjo L.S.D type or a Detroit Locker type Banjo,The Factory XU-1 had a Red Metal Tag on the back of the Banjo where the Nut is to put Oil in it,has it got a Red Tag.
I have no pics of a Banjo Detroit Locker Center to show u,so u can compare,as they are rare to see,maybe someone on the site might have.

#27 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

the car was restored to concorse condition in early 90,s which took 3 years, thats when i removed diff to see the locker centre i had never seen one before ,they are nothing like the banjo limited slip,and externally to look at are much more heavier to look at.as for the 200 72 cars i owned one of these and it didnt have a locker,which i bought of an old bloke that raced in bathurst 72 in a xu1,and by memory he came 6th,he found it hard to beleive i had one of the 150 way back then and only beleived it when he saw for himself.i thought all cars with lsd had red metal tag.

#28 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

These are old ebay items. The first three photos are of what was claimed to be an Ex-HDT XU1 detroit locker. I'm not sure about the one in the last two photos because it is a coarse spline unit.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.

#29 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

the car was restored to concorse condition in early 90,s which took 3 years, thats when i removed diff to see the locker centre i had never seen one before ,they are nothing like the banjo limited slip,and externally to look at are much more heavier to look at.as for the 200 72 cars i owned one of these and it didnt have a locker,which i bought of an old bloke that raced in bathurst 72 in a xu1,and by memory he came 6th,he found it hard to beleive i had one of the 150 way back then and only beleived it when he saw for himself.i thought all cars with lsd had red metal tag.

Yeah the Red Tags are only on the XU-1's with L.S.Diffs,I think only the HDT LJ XU-1 Race cars had the Banjo Detroit Locker Diffs and Your Car now and the 1972 Strike Me Pink V8 XU-1 that came to Tassy in Early 1974,they are the only ones i know of thats had them.
Your Car history be worth Tracking if you can due to the Banjo Detroit Locker,well i would if i was in your Shoes

#30 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

As Bruce stated no Detroits were in cars from the factory, it was a homologation option on the 15 Aug 1973..as for race cars..they all had them...Bob Morris'..check the description, I know Don Hollands did because I bought the car..Bob Forbes did..he bitched to me about how much it cost...I seriously doubt a car ran without one...you would be a mile behind...plus the fact the LSD would have shit itself inside the 500 miles with the new slicks on in the new Group C class..
R

Edited by rorym, 20 August 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#31 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Actually it was the first 1000 KLM race ..so that made it even less likely they ran LSDs.
R

Edited by rorym, 20 August 2009 - 05:31 PM.

#32 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

So for the 1973 Croup C Rules the Race Teams got them,But they were Homo in 1972 for the V8 XU-1,But not used to 1973 for Group C, I Guess.
Strange the SMP V8 XU-1 that came to Tassy had one and now this 8/1973 Road going XU-1, unless this 8/73 LJ XU-1 A Ex Race LJ XU-1.
I bet Joe Felice Lone O Ranger LJ XU-1 V8 Had one,cause the Banjo Detroit Locker was Built for the V8 LJ Program,and how the 1972 SMP V8 LJ XU-1 that came to Tassy have one ?????????? And a pair of HDT-Rear Brake Drum Cooling Fins, Made by A.B.S (Adelaide)

#33 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Homologated with CAMS on 1 July 1972 ...not 73. Typo
Amendment 1/1V 1/7/72
R

Edited by rorym, 20 August 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#34 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

No worries Rory
Im sure Fly XU-1 Has posted they were Homo around the time the Sprintmasters were in 1972,June or July 1972,he might Shed some Light on that.

#35 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

Sorry Alan..typing too fast...I am sure Geoff Leeds told me he had one in his XU1 at the Easter Bathurst meeting in 72.
R

Edited by rorym, 20 August 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#36 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

As Joe Felice Lone O Rager V8 LJ XU-1 was a April 1972 Built Car,i say the Banjo Detroit Locker would of been around from April 1972.
Not sure what year HDT would of have them in 1972 Season or the 1973 Group C Season,But the Detroit Locker been around since April-May 1972 for the V8 XU-1 Program

#37 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

[quote name='rorym' date='Aug 20 2009, 05:48 PM' post='432854']
Homologated with CAMS on 1 July 1972 ...not 73. Typo
Amendment 1/1V 1/7/72
R

Thanks rory

#38 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hi Al,

I had those brake drums on my car,i removed them 20 years ago,and fitted standard drums,still got them,there in still in goodnick.

Cheers

#39 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

hi 1 of my 73 bathurst xu 1 s has a 3.36 fine spline detroit locker from factory which was owned by joe kenwright, the other 2 bathurst xu1 s were fitted with 3.36 lsd fine spline centres, as far as i know around 30 cars were fitted with the locker diffs from factory in no order
regards aldo

#40 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

hi 1 of my 73 bathurst xu 1 s has a 3.36 fine spline detroit locker from factory which was owned by joe kenwright, the other 2 bathurst xu1 s were fitted with 3.36 lsd fine spline centres, as far as i know around 30 cars were fitted with the locker diffs from factory in no order
regards aldo

Aldo
The 30 cars,were they all 1973 Bathurst LJ XU-1's Fitted with the Banjo Detroit Lockers,i wonder how many of the 150 on the engine list are still around today.

#41 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

Who paid for them Aldo?..They were $800 each in 1973..I know..I priced one....when the whole car was $3250.
R

#42 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (73BATHXU1HTBATH350 @ Aug 20 2009, 07:30 AM) the car was restored to concorse condition in early 90,s which took 3 years, thats when i removed diff to see the locker centre i had never seen one before ,they are nothing like the banjo limited slip,and externally to look at are much more heavier to look at.as for the 200 72 cars i owned one of these and it didnt have a locker,which i bought of an old bloke that raced in bathurst 72 in a xu1,and by memory he came 6th,he found it hard to beleive i had one of the 150 way back then and only beleived it when he saw for himself.i thought all cars with lsd had red metal tag.

Yeah the Red Tags are only on the XU-1's with L.S.Diffs,I think only the HDT LJ XU-1 Race cars had the Banjo Detroit Locker Diffs and Your Car now and the 1972 Strike Me Pink V8 XU-1 that came to Tassy in Early 1974,they are the only ones i know of thats had them.
Your Car history be worth Tracking if you can due to the Banjo Detroit Locker,well i would if i was in your Shoes

i,ve tried to track previous owner for years an his name is one of a kind,through all govenment agencies etc.so the best i have heard over years,was a bloke called tom collins baulkam hills nsw,and i bought car not to far from hear,bought an ex police highway potrol car,modified it with the extras my car has,fitted a turbo,this was missing when bought,but has return line to sump,raced through the mid 70,s and navigator was dennis farrel,i havn,t followed this lead yet,just slack i guess,and it was just a lead that sounded good.car also had modified dash,vdo gauges fitted by memory,still have it in shed,on back of all gauges foster was written on in water proof texta.

#43 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE (73BATHXU1HTBATH350 @ Aug 20 2009, 07:30 AM) the car was restored to concorse condition in early 90,s which took 3 years, thats when i removed diff to see the locker centre i had never seen one before ,they are nothing like the banjo limited slip,and externally to look at are much more heavier to look at.as for the 200 72 cars i owned one of these and it didnt have a locker,which i bought of an old bloke that raced in bathurst 72 in a xu1,and by memory he came 6th,he found it hard to beleive i had one of the 150 way back then and only beleived it when he saw for himself.i thought all cars with lsd had red metal tag.

i,ve tried to track previous owner for years an his name is one of a kind,through all govenment agencies etc.so the best i have heard over years,was a bloke called tom collins baulkam hills nsw,and i bought car not to far from hear,bought an ex police highway potrol car,modified it with the extras my car has,fitted a turbo,this was missing when bought,but has return line to sump,raced through the mid 70,s and navigator was dennis farrel,i havn,t followed this lead yet,just slack i guess,and it was just a lead that sounded good.car also had modified dash,vdo gauges fitted by memory,still have it in shed,on back of all gauges foster was written on in water proof texta.

As your Car is a 8/1973 LJ XU-1
Is it a Bathurst Model,one of the 150 from the Engine List,Like Aldo said some of the 1973 LJ XU-1's had Banjo Detroit Lockers.
I wonder if Brocky 1972 28C HDT LJ XU-1,had a Detroit Locker for the 1972 Bathurst,as the Locker was Homo By C.A.M.S on the 1/7/72
So be a Safe Bet to say it would of,so all the Teams would of Had the Detroit Lockers in the LJ's for the 72 Bathurst and 73 Under Group C Rules

#44 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

As your Car is a 8/1973 LJ XU-1
Is it a Bathurst Model,one of the 150 from the Engine List,Like Aldo said some of the 1973 LJ XU-1's had Banjo Detroit Lockers.
I wonder if Brocky 1972 28C HDT LJ XU-1,had a Detroit Locker for the 1972 Bathurst,as the Locker was Homo By C.A.M.S on the 1/7/72
So be a Safe Bet to say it would of,so all the Teams would of Had the Detroit Lockers in the LJ's for the 72 Bathurst and 73 Under Group C Rules

yes it is one of the 150 listed numbers,so its looking like the diff was fitted after it was sold,i,m going to leave it with its mods,diff,oil cooler with hole cut in front radiator support panel for air to flow into cooler,the front end has large spacers that have been made on lathe which make front wheels lay over,bond roll bar,the return to sump,maybe this will identify it one day,and why have one the same to look at as the rest.

#45 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Who paid for them Aldo?..They were $800 each in 1973..I know..I priced one....when the whole car was $3250.
R

$800 Each in 1973,thats unreal,i bet there wasent many Race Teams ordering Banjo Detroit Lockers for there Cars at that Price,so that tells me only HDT would of had mainly the Detroit lockers Due to Holden giving them to HDT,how could the other teams afford them,So it means not many out there.
And how many do ya come across these days in LJ's,Not Many

#46 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

regards aldo

hey aldo,do know what type of shockies were used in these cars as you have a few i thought you might know,mine are adjustable very old school looking numbers,carn,t be sure of brand but maybe konie.or if anyone else knows let me know,thanks for any help.Posted Image
cheers craig.

#47 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

Posted Image

The Detroit Locker was first homologated in 1972 under homologation 1/1V. The way Holden got around with not actually fitting any Detroit Lockers to any cars was simple.

Quote :

Vehicles will be equipped at random with either "Detroit No Spin" or "Borg Warner Limited slip" differential units.

End Quote :

With some great wording Holden only needed to build 200 basically identical units which then allowed the race teams the use of the Detoit Locker. Now according to the importer of the Detroit Lockers, they did,nt arrive in Australia until January 1973 anyhow. So im unsure to as weather any race teams used Detroit Lockers in 1972.

With the Detroit Locker being homologated in 1972 there was no need to re homologate it in 1973. There is no reference to a Detroit Locker in any of the 1973 paperwork, only reference to fine spline axles and 2 new diff ratios (2.78, 3.90). There is certainly no reference to a Detroit Locker in either of the LJ Parts Catalogues. The fitment of a Detroit Locker would void all warranty claims as well. Purely for racing purposes only.

If you can find any reference to a Detroit Locker in any 1973 paperwork you have I would like to see it........

A further clue is homologation 7/7V........

Cheers.

#48 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

#49 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hi Fly
Harry wanted the Banjo Detroit Locker for the V8 XU-1 for the 1972 Bathurst,from your information they might not of had the Banjo Detroit Locker untill the 73 season,Who made the Banjo Detroit Lockers for Holden im guessing maybe Borg Warner.
Ian Tate or Harry would know what year they used them,you would think Brocky's 1973 No.1 HDT LJ would have a Banjo Detroit Locker in it,unless the Diff Centre been changed since 1973 in the No.1 HDT Car.

#50 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

poor old harry, imagine getting asked to call on your memory from that far back. you could ask me what I did last month and I would have no idea.... 37 years ago, thats a stretch of the memory!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users