72 replies to this topic

#26 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

Mate of mine owns a Green 2 door LJ with a turboed 179 using a draw through set-up and a predator carby, He has run a best of 11.8 seconds at Tarmak dragway which i think is pretty respectable outta a little 6.

After going for a ride in his car I'd like to start building another motor, lol.

Les

#27 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

Waste Gate - Say it with me - Waste Gate.

Not Blow off Valve, like every Tom, Dick and Riceboy calls it........

Grant..

#28 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

what do you mean?
a wastegate and a bov are 2 different things

Edited by jap-xu1, 27 February 2006 - 01:16 PM.

#29 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:35 PM

WASTE GATE
Definition: A trap door-like device on the exhaust side of a turbocharger that limits the amount of boost a turbo can produce. The waste gate consists of a spring-loaded diaphragm. A vacuum hose connects the diaphragm to the intake manifold. When boost pressure starts to exceed the rating of the waste gate, the diaphragm pulls open a bypass flap in the turbo housing. This allows some of the exhaust to go around the turbo impeller which slows it down. A waste gate can be checked by applying pressure to the hose with a hand-held pump. If it doesn't move at the specified pressure, the diaphragm is probably ruptured and the waste gate needs to be replaced.

Turbocharged engines have a wastegate that exhausts excess pressure to prevent overcharging the engine.  This is also referred to sometimes as a blow-off valve.  Those who hot-rod turbocharged engines like to replace the stock wastegates with ones that provides higher peak pressure.  This provides instant horsepower but may also provide instant engine destruction when taken to excess.

An external wastegate is generally known as BOV..............
If you think there is a difference, feel free to extrapolate.

Grant..

#30 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

sorry not the same thing.

An internal wastegate is usually found on a turbo from a factory ie a nissan turbo and it controls the exhaust flow thru the impellor. When the "Flap" is open some exhaust gas bypasses the the impellor, when its shut all flow goes thru the impellor.

An external waste gate does the same thing but is not integral with the turbo.

A Blow Off Valve vents compressed air from the inlet manifold (after the turbo) to allow the compressor wheel to spin freely when the throttle is shut (gear change)..therefore reducing lag...it may or may not recirculate this air to before the turbo.

#31 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

enderwiggin.
you are mistaken my friend. :)

in principal they are the same thing,a bypass valve.
its their application that sets them apart.

a bov bypasses inlet charge around the compressor and does not deal with heat

a wastegate bypasses exhaust gasses around the turbine and deals with extreme heat

#32 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

no, wastegate bypasses exhaust gasses from the turbine to stop it from over revving...ie producing to much boost.

bov bypasses inlet charge around the inlet because when you shut off the throttle valve all that boost gotta go somewhere...and if it don't get vented it goes back to the turbo and stalls it...ie lag.

#33 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:55 PM

i have had a holden 6 with a 4 barrel carbie and now ive got efi set up. in my opinion carbie works very will if you are going to do a carbie set up use at least a 4 barrel a single su will not cut it.

#34 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:37 AM

Just like other people have said, the wastegate vents exhausts gasses pre turbo to control how fast it spins and in turn how much boost is produced.

A blow off valve sits between the throttle body and compressor side of the turbo and opens when the throttle is shut venting the boost in the inlet tract to keep the turbo spinning (instead if it building up pressure with the throttle closed) and therefore leaving the turbo spinning for the next time you get the thing onto boost.

Many people swear by not using a blow off valve but it will probably reduce the life of your turbo. I've also seen wastegates used as blow off valves.

#35 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

ive been thinking about this aswell. a turbo 202 would and is an awsome idea.

i hav seen a car with a 202 efi setup, that im told is turbo. :huh: how does that work??? anyone got any info on that side of things.
as i curently hav a 202 black efi engine in rebuilding im wondering if i should buy the "expensiv" go fast bits for a turbo setup. would be awsome if it was actually possible.

cheers michael.

#36 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

ive been thinking about this aswell.  a turbo 202 would and is an awsome idea. 

i hav seen a car with a 202 efi setup, that im told is turbo.  :huh: how does that work???  anyone got any info on that side of things. 
as i curently hav a 202 black efi engine in rebuilding im wondering if i should buy the "expensiv" go fast bits for a turbo setup.  would be awsome if it was actually possible.

cheers michael.

Well dude,

The VK EFI manifold is a decent manifold asides a slightly too small plenum, but you can't fit a strata turbo exhaust manifold onto the head with the EFI manifold as it's factory produced, from what i read. I should borrow the efi inlet from my g/f's bro, who has a full vk efi setup lying around, has a vk carby wagon we were going to convert to EFI, it's an easy job, just never had the time to do it. :-( I could try and bolt both manifolds to my spare blue head and see how & if it works...

Custom exhaust is probably best way to go, have the turbo feed the compressed air forward on passenger side, mount a decent FMIC, then plumb the exit of the FMIC on the drivers side into the TB. I'd change the TB for a XF - ED TB, if your running petrol, else run a GRA gas TB. I'd run straight gas, so i could afford to run the car!

I still don't have the funds to rebuild my turbo atm. Damn ford of mine is taking up too much $$. :cry:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#37 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:38 AM

I can absolutely promise that the Strata exhaust manifold wont fit with the VK EFI manifold and tha is due to the way the turbo mounts on the manifold and the fact the VK EFI manifold runners come so far out from the head.

I am working on producing (with help from others here) an exhaust manfold to suit the VK EFI manifold...don't hold you breathe..it will take a while.

My plans were to produce a whole kit using a production turbo (eg CT26)..whats the thoughts on a cheap readily available turbo to suit and engine of around 3.0-3.5 litres?

I've had quotes for $700 just for the manifold

Edited by FastEHHolden, 25 March 2006 - 09:45 AM.

#38 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:21 PM

I thought the turbo would be the stumbling block, clearing the manifold that is.

Has an adapter that moves the turbo further out been thought about? Bolt it to the strata manifold, mount the turbo further over the inner guard to clear the VK EFI manifold, shortcut?

Ofcouse it wouldn't flow as well as a good custom manifold, but it could get a setup working until ppl could afford to change manifolds. Not to mention make some good power utilising the VK EFI bits.

A cheap turbo thats plentiful, well some research with jap import yards would be the go there, unless ppl wanna use a T03 or T04, but they are older and not as good as newer turbos... Altho a T03/04 hybrid can perform rather well.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#39 _turbohr_

_turbohr_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

Just wondering what size exhaust housing you guys are using on your T04's? I been told a 0.96 or 1.0 is a good start. I don't wanna run out of revs with something too small. Just starting to get my stuff together for my turbo 202. :D

#40 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

anything from .84 upwards mate

#41 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

You will be hard pressed to run out of boost before you run out of revs with a 202.

#42 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

well i dunno how well this will flow ..... really not too worried about that, the turbo will fix that problem :) but this is one my brother and i quickly zapped together ....

its planned to be a cheap efi turbo setup and uses the CT26 from a 3.0L supra i think it was ...

this is a stock VK EFI set of extractors cut and modified to suit.
Posted Image
ps. i didn't do the welding :)

Posted Image

this is all thats been done so far, im not sure if it will work in a torana, its in a WB Ute in the pics which has a slightly more generous engine bay ... im hoping one day i'll have the inlet and exhaust off the torry motor, if i do i'll whack it on to test.

this manifold only just clears the top of the turbo/exhaust flange.

the idea was to run the inlet up through the runners in the inlet manifold then have a few bends which will route it into the inlet manifold, using VN delco computer and throttle body (which removes the need for air flow meter)

Edited by Sammy, 03 April 2006 - 02:34 PM.

#43 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

mate you better get some support to help hold the weight of that turbo cause that manifold will collapse.

#44 _CanberraTorana_

_CanberraTorana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

my 186 is getting the exhaust manifold etc made up next week i believe, gt35 turbo etc.. id be happy if i run 14s

#45 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

you got the wrong turbo for 14's lol!
its 700hp worth :spoton:

#46 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Turbo stuff, go to autobarn, man, they'll have heeps of stuff you'll want as in the way of turbo timers/controllers etc

#47 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

at about 2 to 3 times what its worth.

#48 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

mate you better get some support to help hold the weight of that turbo cause that manifold will collapse.

yeah i am aware of that :) at this stage the manifold is nowhere near complete .. its simply allowing us to work out if/how it will fit in.

you can't see it in the pics but the flange is only tacked on in 3 places :D

Edited by Sammy, 04 April 2006 - 12:32 PM.

#49 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

Nice work Sammy. Can't say the manifold is pretty, but as long as it's functional does it really matter? I'm sure you can make version 2 look a lot better. :D

Depending on the torana your fitting it to, you might just clear the inner splash guards, if not if would req some modding on the turbo side. Would fit easier into the bigger LH/H/UC torana bays...

When i go to blow thru turbo, I'm looking at making up an adapter that bolts to the std strata exhaust manifold and hangs turbo out further over the inner guard. Shouldn't be too hard to weld up and easier than a whole manifold....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#50 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

I need a hand with a new toy I just bought.
The story goes the guy I bought it off, bought the engine / turbo set up off a mate and the turbo and wastgate had just been rebuilt, in fact still wrapped in plastic. Apparently the engine is low comp and set up for turbo use and has had a fortune spent on it. The set up originally had a 450 holley mounted east west but the carby was sold off seperatly. A 600 has since been mounted north south. The inlet manafold has a water jacket under the carbie with coolant circulating through it via the water pump heater outlets. Im guessing this is to help atomise fuel but was wondering what you guys think.
Posted Image

Now the 600 is giving me the shits and the current manafold almost touches the rails as it is (and notice the radiator mod which needs to be re modded) so my other question is should I find a 450 or, I have 2 175 Strombergs lying around off a V8 Rover and was considering making a new inlet manafold for the turbo?? Id assume that 1 175 wont flow enough.
Can someone host a few good shots of the 2 su/strommy manafold with measurements (mainly distance between carbys and from carby base to turbo inlett)
Posted Image

Is there any way of telling if the ignition has been re graphed without taking it out and somewhere.
I bought it half completed and not running but it had been started. At the moment it runs hot as shit and like a pig when it does and the boost guage only reads max 5 PSI. The carby appears to have been fudged and the float tampered with on the secondaries so it operates an a 2bbl. Im told the wastgate will need to be adjusted. Im also told the exhaust housing looks a bit big and may not make much boost down low. The engine is a HP 179 but may be 186 internally, it has recieved EXTENSIVE head work involving removing all material between intake ports. A short head bolt is inserted in through the intake port and torked through there. The top of the hole has been plugged with brass plugs, you can see the rockers and it has a new copper head gaskett. The original set up ran 8-10 PSI apparently but the turbo was rebuilt with the intention of running up too 20.

Posted Image

Edited by lcgtr, 20 April 2006 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users