Turbo 202

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

Hey all im not really a turbo fan but i have seen some good power figures from turbo 202's and im thinking in a torana this would be fun for an every day driver :D

i no its been done b4 but what sorta engine/turbo/trans combo's are people running and what sort of power do they make? what needs to be looked at with the engine to keep it in one piece?

whats really got me interested is that i've heard of people using the wastegate to control boost, so one minute they have a virtually stock car then with a flick of a switch its goes like stink. how true is this?

im thinking of running engine on gas with the fuel prices atm.

all thoughts would be appreciated

cheers ryan

Well ryan i have been buying parts! as there is no way i am puting a rice motor in it, the JL is coming out and a blue.6 3.3 turbo is going in this is the parts
i used ,and machine work being carried out now.
BOTTEM END
Blue 3.3 block crank/rods all crack tested, line bored closed+honed main caps
Block :40 over+decked+groved o,ringed,deburred oilpassers+inlarged ,full stud kit
Crank:deburred/polished+knife edged counter waits,blanced, chamford oil passers
Rods:resized,deburred+polished machined for full floating pins,balanced .ARP bolts
pistons: custom aries full floating forged decomp/dished tops ,hastings Cr rings
JP,H/V oil pump,custom baffeled 7 litre sump+ big pick up+big arse oil cooler
Iven tie! turbo grind solid cam+crow lifters. straight cutts ,Cr manly push rods
Romaci race blancer, Y/T 18lb flywheel dowlled to the crank shalft new bolts
IgnitionMSD6al BTM boost timing master,two stage rev limiter, bluedizzy msd leeds
msd coil

Thats $4.000^^^ so far no turbo hopefully it wont handgrenade at 15=18 psi. i havent decidead on the head but the NEW YT12 port sounds nice!looking for 300 to 340 hp out of this motor not that much reaily? thats all u need in a street LJ

And those that want to no! the turbo is a garret T66/ custom manifolds yet to be made, by me and a mate using one of his lc toranas with a dummy block, this is going to be a draw thought set up using a holley660 ss D.P much the same as the pic,s above. i will post pics of us building the manifolds in the coming months

cheers dave.........

#52 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

. The inlet manafold has a water jacket under the carbie with coolant circulating through it via the water pump heater outlets. Im guessing this is to help atomise fuel but was wondering what you guys think.

This stops the fuel from freezzing as it gets very cold on a draw though set up

as for your carbi probs yer the twin or even one 2inch su are good for the steet
a 2inch su will flow over 500cfm

#53 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:29 PM

What did 2 inch SUs come out on

#54 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

older mod jaguar,s 6 sixers thay had two 2" su carbi

#55 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:04 PM

Whats the deal with blow through VS suck through. What are the pros and cons? Can I use a SU or SD Stromberg as a blow through or does the whole carby Have to be pressurised

Posted Image

#56 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

LCGTR! i think that you can blow through a SU or CD stomberg
It is some thing that i my self havent tryed as yet but i cant see a
prob! you need to pressurize the float bowl , at 2 two 3 psi more
than the manifold pressure .IE" if your turbo is runing say up to
10 psi max , then you need 12 to 13 psi fuel presure

using the right rising rate fuel reg there are several ways to do this ,with out boxing the carbi in. and it relates to all carbies with the float bowl venting to atmosphere .
Most go for a holley to blow through it still need some mods though
floats must not crush in under boost so you fill them with a special foam
then solder up the hole you made in it . then the throttle sharfts need grooving
for o,rings , you remove the power valve in the holleys and mod the fuel
Sircuit for enrichment at hi boost levels
The plenum you design should include a blow off plate above the carbi
in case of back fire! yer there is a bit to it but it looks alot better with out that big
box ! THERE THE PROS

A mate recently fitted and made from scratch, a DRAW through SU set up bigass rayjay turbo to his ricer! run about parts trolly ,,...its a 2.6 astron scorpion .and using a singel 175 su it runs
Low 13 seconds its faster than his CRS type" super charged torana but he dosnt like to tell to many people that!,,, he,he" Its bloody fast for $500 all up fitted

THATS THE CONS

#57 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

What if you vent the boost controller gasses into the exhaust hehe.... then have a spark plug at the end of the exhaust.
Whenever you hit high boost you'll be shooting flames out the zorst..

...maybe

mate if he has it on gas then i dont think it will work but on fuel and the right setup then yeah u can get around 3 to 4 foot flames out the back...

#58 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:14 PM

the ultimate carby turbo setup would be blow through with 3x webbers on a normal webber manifold.
now between the carbs and the manifold run a backing plate and basically build a plenum around the 3 carbs.

its a very similar setup to the rb26 without the injection

#59 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Theres a thought I spose, and I have a set of trippel SUs here but Its guna be a pain in the ass to tune the carbies though

#60 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

i have been talking to a guy that realy knows his turbo setups
old or new he his a smart little bugger when it comes to some of these questions
he tells me that you can NOT blow through a SU OR CD! as i said you may above! as the slides in them
have cut ventures on the inlet side, plus he made a fuss about them being used
as draw through , not good as the needle/ seat wear very fast drawing the needle down the side of the seat ,then thay start to run to rich.

i was allso saying above that i was going to build turbo manifolds in the next few month , well i got some garret ones cheap off a freind so no need to stuff around
now. making them ,,
Posted Imagethere hard to get these days :rockon:

Edited by dave720gtr, 11 May 2006 - 05:16 PM.

#61 Jay#2

Jay#2

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Car:1976 LX 4 door

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

I have a blow through set up using an HIF 44 SU (1.75inch) on my Mini. MG Metro Turbos were sold with this set up, using an SU and a garret T3. Difference between the "turbo" SU and the NA SU is the throttle spindles are sealed but not much else. I have a pic but can't find it.

#62 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:54 AM

what else did those carbys come out on?

#63 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:09 AM

Well I got a set of 2" SUs but then changed my mind and forked out and got the proper gear

Posted Image

#64 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

Mate that looks impressive! How does it go?

A1

#65 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:04 AM

Ill let you know when she runs. The carby came off a turbo red motor so I hope it is pretty close as is

#66 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

hi . lc gtr! here are the two garrett manifolds together showing the strata 2, 9 port and strata 5, 12 port , there will be a set on ebay soon big 12 port garrett inlet + exhaust manifold a guy round the corrner is listing them this week . i purchase a holley vband intake of him today so if the weber sh#ts me off" i can fit a holley
Posted Image
Posted Image
This 202 makes 600 hp fly wheel with holley/ strata 5 manifolds setup! :rockon:
Posted Image

#67 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

I saw that motor on ebay

#68 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

SLR8000 had a similar system to that in the day
Posted Image

#69 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

Yeh ive seen that on ebay too, wanted $10 for it!

A1

#70 _al m_

_al m_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hey all im not really a turbo fan but i have seen some good power figures from turbo 202's and im thinking in a torana this would be fun for an every day driver  :D

i no its been done b4 but what sorta engine/turbo/trans combo's are people running and what sort of power do they make? what needs to be looked at with the engine to keep it in one piece?

whats really got me interested is that i've heard of people using the wastegate to control boost, so one minute they have a virtually stock car then with a flick of a switch its goes like stink. how true is this?

im thinking of running engine on gas with the fuel prices atm.

all thoughts would be appreciated

cheers ryan

Well ryan i have been buying parts! as there is no way i am puting a rice motor in it, the JL is coming out and a blue.6 3.3 turbo is going in this is the parts
i used ,and machine work being carried out now.
BOTTEM END
Blue 3.3 block crank/rods all crack tested, line bored closed+honed main caps
Block :40 over+decked+groved o,ringed,deburred oilpassers+inlarged ,full stud kit
Crank:deburred/polished+knife edged counter waits,blanced, chamford oil passers
Rods:resized,deburred+polished machined for full floating pins,balanced .ARP bolts
pistons: custom aries full floating forged decomp/dished tops ,hastings Cr rings
JP,H/V oil pump,custom baffeled 7 litre sump+ big pick up+big arse oil cooler
Iven tie! turbo grind solid cam+crow lifters. straight cutts ,Cr manly push rods
Romaci race blancer, Y/T 18lb flywheel dowlled to the crank shalft new bolts
IgnitionMSD6al BTM boost timing master,two stage rev limiter, bluedizzy msd leeds
msd coil

Thats $4.000^^^ so far no turbo hopefully it wont handgrenade at 15=18 psi. i havent decidead on the head but the NEW YT12 port sounds nice!looking for 300 to 340 hp out of this motor not that much reaily? thats all u need in a street LJ

And those that want to no! the turbo is a garret T66/ custom manifolds yet to be made, by me and a mate using one of his lc toranas with a dummy block, this is going to be a draw thought set up using a holley660 ss D.P much the same as the pic,s above. i will post pics of us building the manifolds in the coming months

cheers dave.........

NEW YELLA TERRA 12 PORT??

or A yella terra 12 port??

#71 _flukey77_

_flukey77_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

I remember there was a lad called turbotrana (or somethin like that) who had a pretty sweet efi turbo 202 setup in a sleeper green lh/lx a year or two back. From memory he made over 500rwhp. Does anyone else know of or remember this car?

#72 _flukey77_

_flukey77_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

Check this setup out, expensive but interesting none the less.

http://home.iprimus....rbo202trana.htm

#73 _lcgtr_

_lcgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:58 AM

Yeah it was a WA car I think. I remember Perth Street Car going on about it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users