I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

Well there has been some 'secret squirrel' discussion about a new car that I may have bought recently, and if you opened your eyes in a few threads you may have actually seen it in photos etc, but not many people seemed to really pick up on that haha

Anyway I was looking for an LH/LX project for a while and had no luck for a long time. I was probably being a bit premature about it really, but I was getting pretty sick of other things I was working on and wanted a break, in the form of a duplicate project! haha okay well I didn't really plan on it being a duplicate anyway. But this came up on eBay and it looked pretty tempting - fairly straight body and a fair bit of rust to turn off all the softies, sounds good to me! Okay maybe the rust was a bit worse than I originally thought though!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

:blink2:

On the trailer:
Posted Image
anyway it cost me $1150 by the time I got it home, which I think is obsurdly expensive for one of these but they just aren't out there like they were when I bought my first one.

Has a very very healthy 202 with a three speed manual on the column which I am chasing a Speco floor-shifter for (let me know if you have one), also came with a good black dash which is a redeeming factor

Also has a good set of seats which I don't need, they are up for sale if anyone can give me a half decent offer

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
So yeah I've got my work cut out for a while. Looking for recommendations for fibreglass panel manufacturers, this car will not be flared but I do want to fit a fibreglass bonnet & bumpers at least, hopefully a fair bit more than that if my finances allow it! :spoton:

#2 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Flugger me......................here we go again..............Posted Image

#3 _beige_lj_

_beige_lj_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

looks good! its really a shame how expensive toranas have become,

looks like you have your work cut out for you but im sure you'll make a gem of it

good luck with it all

briana

#4 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

What kinda racing,Heath?

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

Glass bumpers advertised on ebay from spoilertek I think

3 spd shifter on ebay... price is high though

'glass guards ring Alpha in Melbourne...I did a thread on them with prices and pics (they do bumpers too)

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Heath, I'll give you the number of the guy that made all of ricks Panels. MUCH cheaper than all the other mobs around as well... He is up in Wandin.

You only live once mate! so good luck with it all!!!

#7 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

shit didnt see the shocker mount rusted out when we picked it up god i love that trailer

#8 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

...And it's green! Posted Image
It looks great, good luck with it Heath. Posted Image

Edited by torriechick, 01 October 2009 - 09:52 PM.

#9 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Nice one mate :)
I'll give you a few beers for those mud flaps to help my grandpa theme!

#10 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

You are gonna be a busy boy Heath. Good onya though, another saved from the scrap heap !!

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

Yeah pretty annoyed the bloke didn't mention that in the ad. He swore he'd never seen it... well yeah I don't know about that mate. I voiced my thoughts on that and he seemed quite unimpressed. Whatever, at least he posted me the dash which he forgot to load in the car! f*cken unreal ay

Cheers for the tow again Ryan, hopefully we can get that wiring sorted out soon

Car will be solid blue I think, with silver accessories. Stedz_lc is trying to convince me to use 2k rather than acrylic... I'm not sure yet, don't have a mask or anything. Anyone got advice for getting a fair bit of cheap paint if I don't care what the exact colour is? I just have a vague idea in my head, something similar to makka's car colour I think

wot179, I want this thing to be street registered, but quite lightweight and racey. I want to have a set of lightweight wheels with semi slicks, and a street wheel & tyre combo. Basically something I can do a Sprint at Winton or Sandown in without overheating the motor, brake system or tyres :P But I will use it for paved motorkhanas, hillclimbs, drags, burnouts, whatever's going. In fact I want to see if I can get it to drift as well, but if I can't it's not a big concern lol, it's all just a bit of fun - nothing less, nothing more :spoton:

A few nights ago I went and cut the replacement shock towers out of the half cut I sold to Matt (that area isn't needed for what he's doing) so that was convenient. Thanks mate!

Yep Neil I was thinking of going to Alpha if I couldn't get in contact with/wasn't impressed by TORANR AMORE's guy. Wandin as in just out past Mt Evelyn? I got the impression he was in regional vic lol. Is that where Gary got his bumpers from too?

EDIT: Luke fark sorry mate I already turfed em. One of the very few Torana parts that I dispose of :( I'm sure you'll be able to source some others though - can't really give them away...

Edited by Heath, 01 October 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#12 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

what sort of racecar is it going to be Heath?

#13 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

Well done mate, if its gonna be a race/fun car, you dont have to go crazy doing a resto on it, just get it neat and tidy and concentrate on getting the thing reliable so you can get out and start having fun with it. As long as the engine is sound, leave it as is, spent your time getting some half decent tyres. If you show up to a state meet and ask around, you may by able to get some older race tyres (888 or A048's) that you can start with. S/H koni's show up on ebay every now and then too so keep an eye out. Make sure your suspension bushes, rag joint etc are in good cond and you should be on the way..

#14 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

make sure you paint the front as well heathy boy

#15 _torana_49_

_torana_49_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

another green machine :)

#16 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:17 AM

what sort of racecar is it going to be Heath?

A slow one I'm hoping? :huh:
Can't have the Grasshopper faster than the Master? :cry:
I lerned him to good. :blink2:

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

I love the budget race car idea :spoton:

Will be watching with interest

#18 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

This is all Rob Dammit's fault! :spoton:

#19 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

Yep Neil I was thinking of going to Alpha if I couldn't get in contact with/wasn't impressed by TORANR AMORE's guy. Wandin as in just out past Mt Evelyn? I got the impression he was in regional vic lol. Is that where Gary got his bumpers from too?

Yep, its where Gary got his bumpers from.

I know when i dealt with him, he took ages to answer his phone... But the price was by far the cheapest by a long way!

Hornet Fibreglass I think its called

Address: 11 Maurice Rd, Wandin North, VIC, 3139

Phone number: (03) 59643761

Just off the top of my head, Bumpers $75 each, scoops $90, Spoilers $100... Don't quote me, thats just what i think they cost.

He is good to deal with once you get in contact.

So, Going Flares???

#20 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

this car will not be flared

Good to hear :D

Looking forward to seeing this build. Going on the theory that it should be too easy the second time 'round? haha

Tim

#21 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

Flares = Bigger Wheels/Tyres = More Traction = faster times = beating rob!

#22 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

All I saw there was:

$ = Need for more $ = Traction = Faster times = Need for faster times = More power ($) = Better diffs and gearboxes ($) etc etc.

Start small, hold it flat. Racing is awesome, you'll love it.

Tim

#23 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

So it should be called "Heath's $$$$car Project!" Never seen a race car that's cheap!

#24 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

Shall be good Heath, better get into it.
Just as you thought you were done with panel work....Here comes another project.

So it should be called "Heath's $$$$car Project!" Never seen a race car that's cheap!

"Heath's latest moneypit"

#25 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Heath's tightarse racecar project? lol Thanks for the details Matt

Yeah no flares, not at this point in time anyway. I will probably have 15x7 Superlites all round with 215 Yokie Advans, and a set of Volvo 15" Ceptors with 7"s and 8"s with whatever tyres for street duties.

Firstly I will fix the rust, then get some colour on it, then work my way through the running gear. I want to do the sealed-bearing conversion and twin-uni conversion in the column, solid mount the rack, new bushes everywhere, move the bolts for the upper arms, dial in some serious camber and caster, find the best calipers and rebuild them with hard pads, slotted front rotors, brake cooling ducts, wouldn't mind drop-stubs but I probably can't afford them, and they wouldn't be for Torana calipers as well? Gotta track down some good shockers for up front, already got some new Monroe HQ sedan ones for the rear (not ideal but they were free and have some advantages), and that will have IRS springs as well, but I don't know what brakes I will put on the arse end... obviously I want discs, R31 would be good and I wanna have a 3.45:1 28-spline BW78 with a mini spool, but I kinda wanna be able to run 13" wheels for burnout comps and stuff :( Don't think 13"s will fit on R31 discs. I guess not running 13"s isn't the biggest problem...

I want to have a handbrake in this one as well, maybe a hydraulic one
Thinking of a hydraulic clutch too... thoughts?

I've actually had a fair few sessions of racing that I haven't talked about on the forum. With different friends including Oldn64 from here, and obviously I have been out in Rob's car - and I was working on it before I even knew how to work on my own car! LOL He's probably the biggest, baddest influence! hahaha

Ohh and my engine plans have changed a lot. The super healthy 202 in this will be tinkered with (kept mild) and chucked in BBQ-202 later on, after this thing is registered. Most of the hi-po stuff I've been collecting for BBQ-202 will go in this instead. I'll just be chasing a bit over 200HP from either a 202 that has been bored a ridiculous amount, or a 179 HP with a knife-edged late model crank and a hogged out 9-Port with a four barrel manifold and throttle body, BBQ-fuelled of course :spoton:

Edited by Heath, 02 October 2009 - 11:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users