Value of Hatch relative to tag

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 _Mid Life Crisis_

_Mid Life Crisis_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

Would it be a good buy at 5, I won't obviously be able to inspect it so I have to rely on the photos and your valued, intelligent (does that feel good) input.

#27 _sbc57lx_

_sbc57lx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

Whats your thoughts on this one

http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

May be some one is willing to inspect it for you ????????????
Hard to tell from those photo's Looks like there's rust coming through the bog ? That's not good .
Bog in the roof Errrrrrrrr . A new trans tunnel welded in - not such a bad thing - but why ..
At the moment that price isn't too bad . but wait , it will be more $$

#28 _Mid Life Crisis_

_Mid Life Crisis_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

Don't know anyone close enough. Might let this one through to the keeper

#29 _koz_hatch_

_koz_hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

Hey Dave,

Most of us have gone through what you are going through now. It pays to wait and inspect the car yourself.

I went down the track of looking for the perfect SS hatch with numbers/tags and blah blah blah.... At the end of the day the way i see it, the dna is exactly the same throughout all models (bar the a9x). It took me 8 months and some interstate travelling to find my perfect bodied hatch.

Use tradinpost, carsales, ebay etc etc to see whats out there and get a good idea on pricing and condition of the car. This will probably become a daily exercise but at least you will be on top of everything and you will eventually find your perfect hatch...

Best of luck!

Kosta

#30 _Mid Life Crisis_

_Mid Life Crisis_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

Hey Kosta,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I might be closer to finding what I am after. One of the guys I have made contact with on this forum has a couple of Hatches for sale and one sounds like a good fit. :clap:It may not be an SS but it is an LX and he has already cut most, if not all the rust out and it is complete internal unit, just missing the engine, gear box and drive train.
Minor technical hitch lol.
Not too worried about that cos I just want to drop a stock 253 with mostly standard drive. My observation is that should not prove too difficult to find.
I will be getting some photos and details this weekend but all things being equal, my son and I will be off on a Road trip from Nowra (NSW) to Whyalla (SA) at Xmas to pick up the Baby.

Pity I can't find a large stork.

#31 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:23 AM

Dave

Lots of good advice here. My feelings are below.

Don't get caught up in seeing a Torana as an investment as I think that right now the pricing on some cars is not sustainable. Yes the premium cars like L34, A9X, XU-1 and either survivor SS/SLR 5.0L or 100% restos will always pull a premium $ figure (and so they should). However be careful of viewing a run of the mill LX Hatch as an investment, because at $10,000 and needing $10,000 work to bring it to useable condition it is probably already had it's big growth and won't do anything but lose you money relative to investing it elsewhere. That is of course just a simplistic view of it as an investment, which is obviously not the primary reason you want it for. I guess my point is try not to get caught up in the future value aspect as you'll probably be dissapointed, like all the blokes who paid top dollars for ordinary EH's 20 years ago. I'd be buying the best bodied LX Hatch you can find, needing the least amount of work, even if it's a 4cyl Torana or Sunbird especially if you intend to upgrade the engine. If it turns out to be an SS well done, but as others have said these seem to pull more money for worse cars.

Even something like this might be worth considering: http://cgi.ebay.com....=item4a9bc5266d

This one sounds OK but you'd want to look hard at it first, and it needds more work: http://cgi.ebay.com....=item27acb27c82

Just imagine how much it will cost you to make one of those $10,000 Toranas up to the standard of the one in the attached link, think of all the hours and time not having a car to use, and then imagine offering say $29,500 for this car. Food for thought anyway. If I see one that's good value i'll let you know http://www.carpoint....id=11BC0DBD8EFC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users