15x10 Hotwires

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

Heya 89 king.

I was in the same situation as you and wanted some fat rubber with a low profile for my 15x10's

Welby helped me out heaps and in the end of a lot of ringing around i got put through to Bridgestone in QLD on some 295/45/15 or 295/40/15, cant remember.
They had to get them in and they came in at a tad over $900 each plus postage.

In the end i made the 295/50's fit and at $260 a pop you can have heaps of fun on them without worrying about having to replace them at a massive cost. Also having new fresh rubber more often is better than having old tires.

Of coarse they wont handle nearly as good but good for street cruising. The cash i saved i put into a set of R-spec tyres for track work.

If you don't want to cut ya guards spend the extra $$ on the low profiles. Im pretty sure they will fit without cutting. Im not sure of how much clearance you will have.

Good luck.

Evan.

Thanks for the info Evan. i havent yet cut the guards, only half-ass'd beat them to stop my 265's scraping. the car goes in for panel work within the next few weeks and im getting the guards cut and rolled right out to give maximum clearence, im just worried about the width, i dont want to have to tamper with the flair. the diff is standard length with drums and im not sure about the offset of the rim so it makes it hard to judge.
Evan, what modifications do you have to undertake to make the 295/50's fit? Regarding the height, after reading peoples input and calling around i might just have to stick with the 50 series due to $$'s. raise the back abit and give it a nose down appeal so they fit might be the best option.

#27 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

Width is not an issue, height/rolling diameter is. Get the guards chopped out to the absolute maximum possible and the flares fitted properly with maximum clearance front and rear and you will fit the 295/50s ok.

edit: this is a 295/50/15, I couldn't get the flare around it diameter-wise, and it would have rubbed a bit at the top:

Posted Image

I'm running 265/50s and they don't look out of place, quite wide over a 10" wheel

Edited by 76lxhatch, 29 October 2009 - 01:42 PM.

#28 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hey Josh.

Have a look at this thread. I think it goes through a lot of it there.
http://www.gmh-toran...ng&fromsearch=1

I cant find the photo's of when i cut my guards. Ill have a bit more of a look later. But make sure you get as much cut as possible and get them welded! I have just sikaflexed myne and it keeps coming off. Ive tried 2 types and im not happy with it.

You have have to trim the flare depending on what type they are. Whilst its in paint get there with ya rims and tyres and get it all sorted before you paint. Also make sure there is lots of clearance, those torry rear ends move around a fair bit.

I thort myne were sweet until i took it for a drive and just about ripped the bloody things off. lol

I cant run lowered springs in the rear either. I just put lowered springs in when i change tyres when i take it to tack events.

Or you could just run 265's :)

Have fun

Ev

#29 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Evan, and thanks to everyone else, your inputs have been very helpful! i noticed that the picture above and the thread you pointed me to was related to hatches, i have a sedan, do you think it would be easier to make them fit in as the flair is in two peices? I called up antique tyres again today and got a quote for 295/50's (lettering one side) fitted for $293 each, thought that was pretty good price for such big rubber! im thinkin that thats the way to go as im not to keen on payin up to and over $900 per tyre just to save the bodywork.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

Josh

#30 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

jeez i hope your not running a banjo and a decent motor with tyres like that...... i would be stocking up on axels and just for good measure put new studs in the axels you have.......

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:40 AM

Flares might be easier on a sedan, but cutting away the metal underneath might be more difficult.

#32 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

jeez i hope your not running a banjo and a decent motor with tyres like that...... i would be stocking up on axels and just for good measure put new studs in the axels you have.......

nah im running a fine spline banjo with a very mild 253.. saving to build up a new drive line for it, engine to diff. but for the time being, i just want something to cruise around in that looks tuff as.

#33 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

Well the rims came the other day and thank god i didnt go out and pre-buy tyres for it... THEY'RE THE WRONG F**KIN SIZE!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHPosted Image

Bought them off EVILbay, the dude described them as "flawless 14x10" and later added he made a mistake and they were actually 15x10's... now i figured the bloke was semi-mechanical minded as he was also sellin some other car related parts, ie 9"diff out of a tonner, so i thought 'oh well they must be 10" rims, i mean how hard is it to check the stamp on the back or get out a tape measure.... WRONG!! they are actually 15x8.5" hotwires. AND they have a bash mark on one rim. so we called him up and his girlfriend answered (the rims were sold under her ebay account). she explained that her boyfriend had 10" tyres on the rims.. I said i didnt give 2 flyin f**ks, the add was for 15x10" rims, not 15" rims that fit a 10" tyre... i thought about keepin them anyway cause they are very deeped dished and would look tops with a 265 tyre on them but they dont even fit torana bolt pattern ...Posted Image

so ive got a couple of options.

1. flogg them back on ebay and try get my money
2. try to reason with the seller and get a full refund minus freight back to them(not very likely as ive asked already)
and 3. take a friendly trip across to Sydney and beat there head in with a rock...

regarding the rims on the torry, im going to stick with my 14x8's and make the car sit really nice on them fully cutting out the guards for future upgrades and continue to look for some 14x10's rather than 15's (im thinking they will be easier to get in with little mods as the rolling diameter will be the same as currently on there)...

i say it every time that i wont ever use ebay again, i have been burnt too many times on that thing, think i would learn, nope!Posted Image

#34 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Or, get welby to take'em off your hands.
Seriously, can i come look at them,. i'm chasing 15 x 8 hotwires .

#35 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

^ I would like to be second in line if welby (A9X) does not take them.

#36 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

I didn't think they made 8's
So my guess is they are really 7's
But a tape measure will tell the story

#37 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

I didn't think they made 8's
So my guess is they are really 7's
But a tape measure will tell the story

they are stamped on the back 15x8.5" but ill get out there with a tape measure and take some photos for people.

#38 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Interesing
Never seen those before

Pics would be good

#39 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

I'll tell you what they look like soon,

Hoping to add them to Welby's House of Hotwires !

Never seen a pair myself.

#40 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

Just took some happy snaps for those who were curious. can be found @ http://s927.photobuc.../ad111/89_King/

#41 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

Bit different to mine.

#42 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

Unusual

But probably perfect for Welbys front if they clear the brakes

Unless he has them in mind for something else

#43 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

Spewing about ya getting screwed with ya rims! That's pretty unlucky. Hopefully you can get ya money back or sell them on.

I remember their being a thread on cutting 4 door guards and flares.

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=29488

Enjoy.

#44 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

yeah it was abit of a bummer. im just hoping to get out of it evens... thanks for the link Ev, ill have to print that out for when the panel beating happens.

P.S. anyone got some 14x10's??

#45 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

Weird looking suckers, but i'll have a gander, ya never know!

#46 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

you still gona come round welby?

#47 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

I would imagine that 14x10's would be very hard to get rubber for.

#48 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

Been,

Seen

Keen

:tomaatit:

Thanks Josh, i'll fit it up over the next day and suss it out.
quick play in thge shed just now says it may fit, fat dish though, wouldn't work without flares.

Probably end up being a good rear on an unflared car, ???

But i'll let you know.

#49 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

I would gladly swap a set of seven's for a good matching set of eights.

#50 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:23 PM

Been,

Seen

Keen

Posted Image

Thanks Josh, i'll fit it up over the next day and suss it out.
quick play in thge shed just now says it may fit, fat dish though, wouldn't work without flares.

Probably end up being a good rear on an unflared car, ???

But i'll let you know.

Sounds good, ill wait to hear from ya.
Yeah they would look tops on the back of a unflared torry. the dish really sets them off!

josh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users