My newer Monaro

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#376 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

I was wondering if anyone has access to a HQ monaro could take a few pics for me. I need some pics looking down the rear 1/4 window hole, i'm looking to see what kind of window guides there are as i dont seem to have any. There seems to be 2 mounting tabs on the body around the 1/4 window frame and id like to see what the guides look like so i can bend something up. Also has anyone got any tips to aligning the window. it windows up and down ok and i have it aligning to the front door glass fine but when it reaches the top the rollers seem to come clear of the window guides, also the window seems to fall forward a bit and requires a little push to make the glass sit properly. If that makes sense... Ill run out now and take some pictures of what im talking about...

#377 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

This is one of the tabs i assume hold some form of window guide.
Posted Image

You can see both here
Posted Image

This is how the window seems to sit at the moment
Posted Image

Posted Image

I find if i put pressure on the glass pushing towards the rear of the car it winds up a lot better and doesnt seem to loose contact with the runner, i think i might have to remove it all again and see if theres a way i can get the rollers to hug the guide tighter. I have replaced the rollers with rarespares jobbies. The only thing i can think of is to loosen the nuts holding the rollers to the glass and pushing them closer together?

#378 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

So i removed the glass and guide and the rollers seem to hug the guide nicely until right at the top, maybe i'm trying to make the glass come up too high and thats why its falling over right at the top. Tomorrow i guess ill fit the roof seal and try again.

Still, if anyone can grab some pics of inside the rear 1/4 window area that would be great.

Thanks
Damien

#379 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Fantastic job Jabba !! It's been a looong process for ya that's for sure. The one thing that worried me when I pulled my car off the road about 2 months ago was once it was out of action It would be off the road for years. Mainly $$ holding it up. Even though u have lost interest at times it's a credit to you as you have done alot of work urself. Top job!!!

#380 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks mate, It will be all worth the headaches in the end. Its been hard to stay motivated at times but ill get there, working on the rustina has really sparked my interest in finishing it again. Having someone to help motivate you helps a lot! Turns out the part of the Monaro build i thought i hated i actually loved the most, the rust repairs. I'm loving the rustina challenge and theres no worries about stuffing it up, coz its only a ford ;).

I guess the biggest thing when building a car is to write down your goals and stick too them otherwise these things seem to blow out. My biggest problem is i've never set any real goals so the post keeps shifting every time i have a good idea :P.

#381 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

Diyautotune are doing a promo atm, upto 25% off anything on there website, 1% for every 100 facebook likes over 2000. I'm looking at buying some more gear off them for the Monaro, they are up to a 11% discount atm. I feel crap spamming people but the discount is too good not to try :P. If you can click the like button in facebook for diyautotune.com http://www.facebook....com/57837395932 that would be awesome. Anyone that likes them on facebook is eligible for the discount! Its worth while, the monaro is getting going to get a sweet setup ;D. Ill go in to more detail when some more parts arrive. Its been done a bit in the 4cyl world but as far as i can tell not to a chev :).

#382 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

done...you owe me a beer :P

#383 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

No worries, i have one waiting for you in the fridge! :D

#384 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

I suppose i can spill the beans on my latest idea now some parts have started rolling in. Its getting sequential fuel injection and a coil per cylinder (think ls1). For the injection I bought a cross ram webber manifold and 46mm hayabusa throttle bodies. The great thing about the busa throttle bodies is that they can be pulled apart so i can re-space them to suit. Picked up the throttle bodies for $150 delivered, i'm just waiting for another good deal on ebay to pickup another set :). The manifold was around $370 delivered (damn US postage costs).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My idea so far is to keep the standard fuel injectors that come with the throttle bodies and set them up to fire sequentially, then have another 8 larger injectors that stand over each trumpet that kick in when required. This is all supported with the megasquirt 3 code, so it shouldn't be too hard. The benefits of the stand off injectors should be better fuel atomisation and the fuel should also cool the intake charge. I'm thinking ill run dual VL fuel pumps in parallel to flow the required fuel, since two vl pumps are cheaper than one large pump :).

#385 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

Awesome.

#386 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

Jeepers...

#387 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

This is a great idea.
I was checking out these throttle bodies, they come in a few different year of manufacture. Are there any differences in these throttle bodies between 2002 to 2010 or are they the same?

#388 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

99-07 are the ones you would want, there all the same and cheap :). They are 46mm and i think i read somewhere the injectors are 230cc, too small for a big v8 but they would be fine for a NA 4cyl or a smaller v8 :). The ports on the manifold are nearly identical in size to the throttle bodies, i was a little worried that 46mm would be on the small size but i think their going to be spot on. You can fit standard sized top feeds into the throttle bodies by drilling out the injector boss slightly.

The thottles also have a little lever on them that when pulled it cracks the throttle plates open slightly, so basic idle air control could be as simple as hooking up a small solinoid to pull the lever when the engines cold. There are other ways to do idle control but i dont think the complexity is worth it for a weekend car :).

Edited by jabba, 31 August 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#389 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

^ Busa throttle bodies is a good idea out of left field. I had seen an example where a pair from a toyota 4age was used, im sure most of it comes down to what you can adapt to the manifold and throttle/injector sizing.

#390 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Using motorbike throttles seems fairly 'common' in the 4cyl world but i hadnt really seen it used on a Chev or any old school v8's. I always wanted to do ITB but the costs are outragious, upwards for $3,000 for maifold and ITB. These motobike ones are perfect really, huge range of sizes from 36-46mm and the gsxr ones can be seperated!

Heres a youtube video showing the shower injection that i'm thinking of using along with the standard busa injectors.

Its just a thought at the moment, i like the challange to fabricate such a beast and i think it would perform well :).

I'm having other dumb ideas running through my head like adjustable length trumpets, possibling controlled by the megasquirt. Ill just have to play around and see what i can create to see if its viable tho ;).

#391 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Definitely way cool, toyota ITBs on 1ZU v8s is becoming a common mod over here, there was also a falcon for sale that had them fitted to a windsor v8. Love the cross ram manifold, very Norm Beechly'

Here's a little bit of inspiration.

#392 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

Using motorbike throttles seems fairly 'common' in the 4cyl world but i hadnt really seen it used on a Chev or any old school v8's. I always wanted to do ITB but the costs are outragious, upwards for $3,000 for maifold and ITB. These motobike ones are perfect really, huge range of sizes from 36-46mm and the gsxr ones can be seperated!

Heres a youtube video showing the shower injection that i'm thinking of using along with the standard busa injectors.

Its just a thought at the moment, i like the challange to fabricate such a beast and i think it would perform well :).

I'm having other dumb ideas running through my head like adjustable length trumpets, possibling controlled by the megasquirt. Ill just have to play around and see what i can create to see if its viable tho ;).

I think Porche did adjustable length trumpets? I love this stuff, i will check in regularly :3gears:

#393 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

OOOOOH MUMA

Shower :buttrock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2iBbwocYZw

Edited by Bart, 31 August 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#394 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Bart, you are youtube champion! Why couldnt i find those videos! How awesome do the variable intakes look. i dont think they would be that hard to create either. although ill probably make mine out of aluminium not carbon fibre :P. I just need a electric solinoid to push it up and down, rather than using vacuum or compressed air... It would just be a simple switch in the megasquirt that said if tps = >x and rpm >x switch on. I have to find a way of calculating the stack length, and if it takes into account the distance from the throttle to valve or if its just throttle to end of horn.

Oh yeah another name shower injection goes by is stand-off injection :).

Edited by jabba, 01 September 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#395 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

http://www.google.co...v-7GZCNmQWB2u0u

#396 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Just thinking, if you make adjustable length trumpets, wouldn't you want them mechanically linked to throttle? That way they are set to be evenly distributing throughout the rev range?

As opposed to either up or down? I wouldn't have thought it was more difficult to do.

cheers
Glenn

#397 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Bart, you are youtube champion! Why couldnt i find those videos! How awesome do the variable intakes look. i dont think they would be that hard to create either. although ill probably make mine out of aluminium not carbon fibre :P. I just need a electric solinoid to push it up and down, rather than using vacuum or compressed air... It would just be a simple switch in the megasquirt that said if tps = >x and rpm >x switch on. I have to find a way of calculating the stack length, and if it takes into account the distance from the throttle to valve or if its just throttle to end of horn.

Yeah a on/off actuator would probably be good enough but if you want more variability you would use a stepper motor with a rack and pinion setup. I would love to see the F1 setup more closely

#398 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Yeah a on/off actuator would probably be good enough but if you want more variability you would use a stepper motor with a rack and pinion setup. I would love to see the F1 setup more closely

Or variable actuator

#399 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

The ms does support pwm outputs so it would be possible to have it as a variable output in you could find a motor that would accept pwm if you could find a motor that would open more or less based on the pulse.

Having it looked up to the throttle would be no good because you want longer runners at low rpm and shorter at higher rpm

#400 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users