My newer Monaro

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#426 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

This is purely how i imagine it would work, i haven't read fully into it (my boost controller just works by magic ;)).

I believe the ground cycles at for example 20hz, then the time that it is grounded for is varied. That way you could have it ground 20 times a second for very brief periods of time, adjustable until you hit the next cycle?

#427 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

yay for wikipedia

The average value of voltage (and current) fed to the load is controlled by turning the switch between supply and load on and off at a fast pace. The longer the switch is on compared to the off periods, the higher the power supplied to the load is.

The PWM switching frequency has to be much faster than what would affect the load, which is to say the device that uses the power. Typically switchings have to be done several times a minute in an electric stove, 120 Hz in a lamp dimmer, from few kilohertz (kHz) to tens of kHz for a motor drive and well into the tens or hundreds of kHz in audio amplifiers and computer power supplies.

Sounds like what i said :P.

#428 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

yay for wikipedia

The average value of voltage (and current) fed to the load is controlled by turning the switch between supply and load on and off at a fast pace. The longer the switch is on compared to the off periods, the higher the power supplied to the load is.

The PWM switching frequency has to be much faster than what would affect the load, which is to say the device that uses the power. Typically switchings have to be done several times a minute in an electric stove, 120 Hz in a lamp dimmer, from few kilohertz (kHz) to tens of kHz for a motor drive and well into the tens or hundreds of kHz in audio amplifiers and computer power supplies.

Sounds like what i said :P.

Yes but how does the MS vary the frequency? Say you want from 20khz to 200khz Thats why i mentioned a variable resistor to vary the frequency

#429 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:39 PM

ms doesn't vary the frequency, it vary's how long it holds the switch closed during each cycle.

For (a very poor) example say its set at 5hz (it cycles on and off 5 times a second)
|---|---|---|---|
would provide more current than
|-|-|-|-|

- = time spent grounded
| = switching to ground

Sorry, really really bad example?

So the frequency that it operates is only really important to how smooth it operates, its how long it holds the switch closed that varies the current flow... I could probably use one of the pwm outputs for the idle air control motors, since there just stepper motors. I think it does a 4 wire output for those, I'm guessing so it can change directions rather than me relying on something to return to a position when current is removed.

Edited by jabba, 01 September 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#430 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

ms doesn't vary the frequency, it vary's how long it holds the switch closed during each cycle.

For (a very poor) example say its set at 5hz (it cycles on and off 5 times a second)

|---|---|---|---|
would provide more current than
|-|-|-|-|

- = time spent grounded
| = switching to ground

Sorry, really really bad example?

So the frequency that it operates is only really important to how smooth it operates, its how long it holds the switch closed that varies the current flow... I could probably use one of the pwm outputs for the idle air control motors, since there just stepper motors. I think it does a 4 wire output for those, I'm guessing so it can change directions rather than me relying on something to return to a position when current is removed.

Ok so it will be a set speed which will go forward and reverse, i confused myself :sofa:

#431 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

Didn't mean to sound negative, I just think you should go the whole hog!

What jabba is saying is that it varies (or rather modulates) the pulse width... :P I still reckon a stepper motor would work fine as long as the load isn't too high

#432 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

yeah yeah... What he said!

#433 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

I just thought of a possible problem with using stepper motors.

I have a mate building his own cnc setup. One of the things he has to do is include end stop switches to tell the machine that the stepper motors have reached the end of their travel. Do you have to do this with your possible setup?

That might mean you either have to set it up mechanically or an actuator/solenoid as you have said.

cheers
Glenn

#434 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

I just thought of a possible problem with using stepper motors.

I have a mate building his own cnc setup. One of the things he has to do is include end stop switches to tell the machine that the stepper motors have reached the end of their travel. Do you have to do this with your possible setup?

That might mean you either have to set it up mechanically or an actuator/solenoid as you have said.

cheers
Glenn

Could you ask your mate what kind of stepper motor would be suitable for what im doing? I'm after a motor that will turn based on the pwm applied to it but will return to home when current is removed. That would be ideal if it exists!

#435 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

The IAC stepper motor has its steps counted by the ECU, that's why you have to reset it when the ECU has been reset. Once at the correct starting position, the ECU simply demands a certain number of steps (which if the tune is correct will give the correct result). Using that logic would be a great way of controlling the variable intake, you'd just set the number of steps at various RPM/load points. I'm pretty sure its still a PWM output that does it all somehow.

#436 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

I just need to find an electronics nerd to confirm how step motors work. I just need a motor that will hold a position based on the current applied to it. Im guessing thats just how stepper motors work in the first place? I would need it to be able to reverse its direction if less current was applied...

#437 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Maybe what I want is a servo motor not a stepper. I was just thinking about my toy helicopter and how it changes the pitch of the blades

#438 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

Maybe what I want is a servo motor not a stepper. I was just thinking about my toy helicopter and how it changes the pitch of the blades

That would work well.
Basically you need a stepper/controller to behave like a RC servo.
A potentiometer mechanically moved by the accelerator, the potentiometer moves clock and anti clock wise and the stepper follows. I had a set up exactly like that 10 years ago when I was "into it". I�m sure Jaycar has this setup.
But if you want to use what you have on hand that would be a goes start, I think you would have a "trim" setting which reduces or increases movement of the servos which will be needed I think.

#439 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

Ive come in a bit late here, but this a Lina Mint car. Personally I would have left it that colour.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is my good mates 71 GTS.

Posted Image

Edited by hanra, 02 September 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#440 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Actually I never thought of that. Try an RC servo, like this

http://www3.towerhob...p?&I=LXLWS8&P=0

So long as it hooks up with your computer, it might be the answer!!

cheers
Glenn

#441 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

Ive kind of discarded the computer idea

I belueve you will need PWM signal either from your computer or a stand alone system/generator, but you will need to figure how to put that into the stepper controller.
You could use the tacho signal also i think, but for simplicity i think a stand alone system would be better, be it servo or Jaycar kit

Edited by Bart, 02 September 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#442 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

A stepper motor is just an electric motor that moves in steps instead of continuously, and it is possible to control how many at a time. It stops where it stops, to return to zero you have to turn it backwards again the same number of steps, there is no self-returning or anything like that.

#443 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

Here we go, assuming the servo route.

servos are controlled with a PWM signal driven to their signal wire. A PWM signal has three parameters that characterizes it: The first is the amplitude (or peak to peak voltage) of the signal. You should use from 3 to 5 volts for your signal, according to it's specifications. The second is the frequency. In PWM, the frequency is usually fixed to a value. For analog servos the frequency is 30-50 Hz, and for digital servos it is 300 to 400 Hz.

This info is on this page http://pcbheaven.com...C_Servos_Works/, I hope it helps

cheers
Glenn

Edited by r2160, 02 September 2011 - 02:25 PM.

#444 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

that helps heaps mate, thanks for that! It sounds like a servo is the way to go, assuming that I can get one strong enough. Going off that info you linked the megasquirt should have no trouble controlling it, as long as its power requirements rant more than the ms can handle

#445 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

http://www.robotmark...s/0-PL1390.html

Overkill but wow, that would do it :P.

#446 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-PL1390.html

Overkill but wow, that would do it :P.

Hang it off your engine crane lol

#447 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

hahaha.

It looks like I'm on the right path tho, that type of servo has power ground and pwm signal wire and runs on 12v :).

#448 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

damn not being able to edit my posts.

I guess once i've build the rig then i can workout how much torque is required to move it. This one do 200 oz/in at 6V where as the other one i posted can do Stall torque at 6V 400 oz-in.

only 40$ vs 290$ :P.

Ohhh look at this one!

yeah!

Edited by jabba, 02 September 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#449 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

bloody fantastic,

havn,t looked in your thread,mainly because of the heading my newer monaro,me was finking it was a 2002 model or soming like that.

glad i took the plunge,you have done a great job,i know how much work you have done,as i,m doing a warrick yellow HK,that was as bad or maybe worse,and has taken me years,in my spare time to get where it is today.

love the colour,i,m a metalic blue man also,i have a hk monaro a similar colour,which i mixed up the colour 24 years ago as a young fella.

if your interested i can add some pics of my cars.

cheers craig.

#450 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Thanks mate, yeah its been a lot of work getting it this far. Hopefully this new adventure will boost my interest in getting it finished again :).

Post some pics, i don't mind :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users