Blow Thru turbo 202

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hi All,
This engine is for a fellow forumer (Runner 202), it has been in the build process for a year or so now some of u may have heard about it or seen it.it has run into the 12's N/A before with an engine that we built.i have never built a forced induction 202 before but i guess this well be a steep learning curve for all who are involved.this has kept me quite busy for a while now reserching and sorting stuff out for it.actually this is another reason my lc is still under covers and has not moved for a few months.

i dont know a great deal about turbo size and stuff like that but from what i can gather it is slightly bigger than what most use on a 202.pete fabricated all the stuff for it under engine bay.my main job is to sort engine out and get it to hold together.i tried to get a apropriate bottom end girdle but could not source one so in the end i had to make my own this alone has taken up alot of my time.

i have included some pics of the new parts for the engine they were dropped off to me today.
the engine will be running ross slugs, full floater rods,total seal rings,copper head gasket,warflow ported gm 12 port head (Ran into 12's with it before), msd pro billet dizzy,266deg @.050" solid cam custom turbo grind hehe,jakes performance has modified 2 4bbl carbs one for pump fuel and one for alcohol.

dad has built a trimatic for it full manual, t/brake, with all the fruit in it.unsure on converter yet.

anyway here are some pics of it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers Hayden

#2 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Now that looks like a serious conversion... can't wait to hear how it all goes.

#3 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Bloody hell... can't wait to see how quick this thing goes. Bet you blokes can't either. Aftercooled?
Keep us updated please Hayden.

#4 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Posted Image at the 265 block haha.
What type of motor is the MSD dizzy from if u dont mind me asking?
and also the 4bbl manifold? looks like some nice bends in it

anyways, looks the shit, good luck with it.

Edited by greens nice, 21 January 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#5 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

What size is that exhaust housing? If you dont mind me asking.

#6 _V6 Chev_

_V6 Chev_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

I'm very impressed

#7 _rb3torana_

_rb3torana_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

looks good mate,
that looks to be a gt42r cant wait to see that thing spoolPosted Image

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

Old clunker wont even turn the tyres :tease:

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Woweee look at that piping! haha big bastard

What's the inlet manifold Hayden?

#10 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:34 AM

With that cam and turbo I hope you have a huge converter to get it going. I assume its race only ?
Good to see something different, can't wait to hear how it goes !!!

#11 _runna_202_

_runna_202_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

With that cam and turbo I hope you have a huge converter to get it going. I assume its race only ?
Good to see something different, can't wait to hear how it goes !!!

Gday fellas...
Heath: the manifold believe it or not is an ebay special,unsure of the brand but in its first life was actually a 2bbl nine port setup. I milled the 2bbl flange off and adapted the 4bbl one and hayden used it on his engine with good results. After hayden was finished with it i fabed and welded on the flangles to suit the 12 port head.
Struggler:the torana still has full rego,but sits in the shed more than it gets driven.Ive got a 4500 converter-shop stally i prevously used in n.a form,probably give it a go first as it might give us some sort of idea on what stall speed in needs?
coupe202: the exhaust housing is .96
Oldjohno: was thinking about running some sort of water/mothanol injector for the intake charge cooling like one of those snow-performance kits.

#12 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

You guys have just built the engine i have been planning in my head.... Awesome, hope it goes well for you guys looks mental

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

If you see another one of those manifolds, or have some more photos of it, PM me I'm quite interested.

Cheers

#14 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

Hi All,
Bit of an update on this thing i went to the head guys shop lastweek with cam card in hand with a few questions he will be grout filling block when im ready he also said that for this type of aplication we need proper stainless or better valves as the combustion temps are going to be up quite high compared to before( i sorta guessed thisanyway as u will see later in the build with what we have done.)pete had already purchased the stock replacemt type valves

so it looks like im going to get some custom manly valves made to suit this we are going to get them a few .100" longer to give us a better range of valves springs to chose from and we would most likly have needed new pushrods anyway i was also told that it is now very important to get the geometry spot on with this combo as to give the k lines the best chance they have at surviving.

i have had the local water jet cutters in town here give me a price on drawing and cutting a girdle out for me if all gos to plan i should have one to try tommorow somtime.then it will be of to machine shop for finish machining process then we will see some real progressbut untill then i am sorta waiting.

Cheers Hayden

#15 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

Bah, i've seen this setup in the flesh, it wont turn a damb tyre i swear to god!!!!

#16 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

Ok,
we have finaly got things moving at the water cutters i picked up this template yesty well actually i watched the machine cut it out witch was diffrent. but i just got one cut from some sheet to try it to make sure everything fits and looks to be very close to what were looking for so i can now give them them the ok to cut a proper one for me next week.then it will be off to machine shop for the machining.

i have sorted manley valves aswell they are the best they make before going titanium,we will be using titanium retainers aswell and this time it will use 7deg locks not std type ones.

Hayden

*Image Removed by Request* - Pm Sent to Drag LC

Edited by Tiny, 21 February 2010 - 07:27 PM.
Images Removed by Tiny

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

Girdle is to thin, wont do bugger all :P

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

Just get a few and glue them together :)

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

5 minute or 25 minute epoxy heath??

#20 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Girdle is to thin, wont do bugger all :P

Once he gets the second girdle on all the big-ends it'll be a rigid as buggery...

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

:P

No harmonic problems if the motor can't spin aye?

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

Yeah mate they hold together for ages when ya dont start them.....

Look how long Haydens new motor has lasted :tease:

Cheers.

#23 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

hey dj it has almost proved a good thing it ran 2mph down fat as compared to last ones best mph so were on the right track but yeah it has to do a wedding aswell in a few months so might leave it in shed till then................hehe

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

Sweet re the wedding car thing.

I also note mine hasnt blown up yet on the engine stand.....there might be some logic to this theory that if you dont start them they last ages....

Cheers.

#25 _sonic_injection_

_sonic_injection_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi
Looks very nice. Stay tuned as I have a NEW intake in the works. It's a Single Throttle Body Dedicated EFI intake and will make blow through EFI turbo/supercharger set ups a sintch. It will also suit milder EFI aperated applications. PM me if you would like some prototype pics.
regards

Brett Bresnan
SONIC Injection

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users