L34 confirmation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 _86er_

_86er_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hi Guys,
I am looking at the possibility of purchasing an L34 in Qld. I believe it is the Bob Jane vehicle that had a body shell replacement very early in its life.
Could someone please confirm the No's are correct & any additional information on the car would be appreciated.
Engine No. HZ18330
Vehicl ID. 7803251
Appreciate your help
Thanks.

#2 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

PM REDA9X

#3 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Thats an L34 engine number but you will also need the cast date code.

Being a reshell the body plates etc should not be from the original car which confirm engine RPO and the engine code in the VIN. Ultimately it would be an L34 engined car with some racing history.

That isnt enough info to confirm the cars pedigree.

#4 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

This car??? My link

#5 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

Price is ...$old

#6 _SebringL34_

_SebringL34_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hi Guys,
I am looking at the possibility of purchasing an L34 in Qld. I believe it is the Bob Jane vehicle that had a body shell replacement very early in its life.
Could someone please confirm the No's are correct & any additional information on the car would be appreciated.
Engine No. HZ18330
Vehicl ID. 7803251
Appreciate your help
Thanks.

Hi ,

I actually own the car and am interested in selling, if you would like to contact me.

Rob

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

There would be CAMS log books and many documents and photos of this car surely ?

#8 _SebringL34_

_SebringL34_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

There would be CAMS log books and many documents and photos of this car surely ?

No , This is one of 4 Sebring Orange road Cars ordered by Bob Jane......

#9 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

So no log book.... and no race history
Why would it have been reshelled ?
I guess the car outdrove the drivers abilities

#10 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

hi the L34 u are talking about is real exept for the body , all the id tags match, the engine is the real deal hz block, the right cast date etc
build date 8/74 i personally know this car well, overall a good car,
regards aldo

#11 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

its on car sales dot com

i nearly got this car myself at one stage...
cheers gong

#12 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

hi the L34 u are talking about is real exept for the body , all the id tags match, the engine is the real deal hz block, the right cast date etc
regards aldo

Is there a factory build difference in an L34 body to that of an LH?
I am curious to know what the differences are. (not talking about a flare kit here)

Cheers
Herne

#13 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

This re-shelled L34 has been around for a short while,..i believe it was done by Rob Hanns but don't quote me on it.
it first popped up on aussie muscle cars and was advertised as a original car about 6 years ago,it was sold to a bloke in qld who upon a close inspection found a different colour under the car and sent the car back to the seller,..it was re-listed then as a re-shelled car on amc and has changed hands a few times since..as far as the Bob Jane bit goes he ordered 3 for his southern cross motors dealership in Melbourne with his signature colour red...there's one original survivor left and its in Sydney and it will never see daylight again..
i believe Aldo owned 2 of these cars some time ago and confirmed it with me a while back with some pictures..
as for this particular car in i have never personally cited in the flesh but in my eyes it will always have a cloud over it..to me the words original or genuine can never be used on this car,only the parts of this car are from a genuine L34..its a re-bodied L34 that certainly looks good and from what I've heard is a good tidy car..

#14 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

"there's one original survivor left and its in Sydney and it will never see daylight again.."
:stirpot: :lol: ^_^ :) :P

#15 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

"there's one original survivor left and its in Sydney and it will never see daylight again.."

well john perhaps i could be wrong but somehow i doubt it... :)

#16 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

well john perhaps i could be wrong but somehow i doubt it... :)

Im hearing you brother ^_^

#17 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:55 AM

regards aldo

I am curious to know what the differences are. (not talking about a flare kit here)

Cheers
Herne

One difference is the centre console mounts. I'm sure there are a few other minor differences as well.

#18 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

regards aldo

Cheers
Herne

One difference is the centre console mounts. I'm sure there are a few other minor differences as well.

most of differences in a l34 to a slr5000 are mainly mechanical..as yel327 said no console or brackets beside the obvious in the way of flares,hq brakes and the special offset rally rims..L34s had round headlights as did the 1900 opel lh toranas..for a unique car back then not a lot of outside differences..the mechanical driveline in a L34 IS WHERE THE DIFFERENCES ARE..engine is the basis from 1974 through to vk brock commodores with the heads,sump,modified intake manifolds and so on,..gearbox in a L34 is cluster gear ratio and part number,.diff is shorten hq housing with taller bumpstops to compensate bigger wheels..just a brief quick summary i could go on but think this answer part of the question asked as well..

#19 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

I guess this opens that particuly prickly subject over when a car is origional or not, or a lh body full of L34 bits.
I,m still arguing with myself over where I sit on this,

#20 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

I guess this opens that particuly prickly subject over when a car is origional or not, or a lh body full of L34 bits.
I,m still arguing with myself over where I sit on this,

The body IMO is the car, so this particular car is just an LH that happens to have L34 bits on it. If a cars body is destroyed then the cars identity is destroyed with it, no matter what is done to the bits that remain.

But having said that I used to think originality was the holy grail but now I think if a car is built by an owner to a spec (eg L34) then it is every bit the same as the car that was built to the same spec by the factory. I mean seriously they are exactly the same car made with the same parts - who cares who actually put it together ??

I've said it before that the only original cars that IMO should have any real value are ones that have a racing (or similar) pedigree - eg; Brocks 79 winning A9X.

To sum it up what is the difference between a car that looks like an L34 (ie: it has all or most of the correct parts) and one that is an L34 - just the tags so why should one be worth 10 times more than the other ?

#21 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

no its not original full stop...yes it does have original parts and even id tags..IF it was my L34 and it was written off of course i would reshelled it but that's just me..many years ago as kids my mate writ off of his LJ torana S we went to the salvage car auctions and bought a gutted and stripped LJ S shell and did same thing here transferred and put his original car wreck back together in the shell we just bought and had the car back on the road..then is wasn't a big deal its now theres big money involved in these cars and authenticity plays a big part..i personally have no problem with this particular torana as its been preserved to some capacity by keeping its originals parts in the same configuration as the original car would have been..
when we bought my old mates original sebring L34 WITH A KNOWN HISTORY rumours were floating around about his car not being RIGHT...this torana is a marked car and has been exposed still not a big deal,its damn nice looking car and i would buy it at the right price to me as i would club race it and then retire my yellow L34...i have no personal interest to bag this car only want to state my thoughts and opinion so if your the owner reading this please do not consider this in anyway a attack on the car as its not...

#22 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

Yes guys, I am aware that the L34 has no console and that the drive train is different and then we are still left with the body which is the same as any other LH and gets back to my question or maybe it was more of a disguised statement that there is no frOcking difference :)

Hence I cant see the fuss about this car or that not being genuine, if the bodies were different then ok.
So taking this a step further an A9X that maybe gets a new LX mudguard (not an A9X part) due to a minor altercation is no longer a genuine A9X????

Simplest thing to do would be to repair it and tell no one! And no bugger could possibly tell.

Herne

#23 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

[quote name='niterida

I used to think originality was the holy grail but now I think if a car is built by an owner to a spec (eg L34) then it is every bit the same as the car that was built to the same spec by the factory. I mean seriously they are exactly the same car made with the same parts - who cares who actually put it together ??

I've said it before that the only original cars that IMO should have any real value are ones that have a racing (or similar) pedigree - eg; Brocks 79 winning A9X.

To sum it up what is the difference between a car that looks like an L34 (ie: it has all or most of the correct parts) and one that is an L34 - just the tags so why should one be worth 10 times more than the other ?
[/quote]
Because they are homolagation cars, only 263 ever made, built to race by the factory, not muggsy down the road.
the price is dictated by originality and pedigree, nothing simpler, the car in question seems to fit in these guidlines fairly. cheers Gary

#24 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

there is one big tell tail between a l34 shell and a lh slr 5000 shell, and if you all dont know im not telling.
hehehe

cheers gong

#25 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

does it involve 4 bolts or 8 bolts?

Edited by slr5640, 09 December 2010 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users