L34 confirmation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#26 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

Hi slr 5640 is right on the money, by memory its 4 bolts for the front seats, the others have 8 bolts, another difference is the brake pedal, its thicker than a normal
pedal, the bodys are pretty much the same, i aggree with uncle fester regarding the originality of these cars
regards
aldo

#27 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

slr5640, you seem to be the winner, not many know that.

cheers gong

#28 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

Yes guys, I am aware that the L34 has no console and that the drive train is different and then we are still left with the body which is the same as any other LH and gets back to my question or maybe it was more of a disguised statement that there is no frOcking difference Posted Image

Hence I cant see the fuss about this car or that not being genuine, if the bodies were different then ok.
So taking this a step further an A9X that maybe gets a new LX mudguard (not an A9X part) due to a minor altercation is no longer a genuine A9X????

Simplest thing to do would be to repair it and tell no one! And no bugger could possibly tell.

Herne

there are 2 variation body shells in the LH i wont go into detail as a wa sebring car nearly got sold for nearly 280g but was a rebody.
The greatest compliment to any car is to make a clone.The mona lisa painting is priceless but any body can afford a print.
It does,nt matter how many real parts you put in a car it is what it started life as.A replica GTHO Phase 3 is only worth a fraction of the real deal.
Enjoy your clones but thats all they will be.

#29 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

Could not agree more OuterControl, A rebodied car is little more than a replica, not that there is anything wrong with replicas per se. We have all heard about historically significant cars, European/American being recreated from little more than a Bumper or Numberplate from the original. Look up the meaning of the word original to gain a better understanding of the values attributed to original v recreated/rebodied/replica. It gets nasty when big $$$$$ become involved and the truth of the cars "originality" gets omitted or forgotten. The Sebring car over here was a good case to illustrate exactly this point. The fellow who nearly bought a rebodied "original" for big $$$$ is still grateful, believe me.

#30 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

Could not agree more OuterControl, A rebodied car is little more than a replica, not that there is anything wrong with replicas per se. We have all heard about historically significant cars,

well said...24c been rebodied twice..its just a replica now

#31 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

I knew that one would pop its head up in the comments Johnno.... here we go again !

#32 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

well said...24c been rebodied twice..its just a replica now

I knew that one would pop its head up in the comments Johnno.... here we go again !

It's the haves and the have-nots again Adam.

And anyone who doesn't understand the difference between a racecar being reshelled and a road car passed off as "original" shouldn't get into the argument.
Go home, keep drinking, and keep your mouth shut.

The owner of this car knows it is not the original shell, has stated such, and appears to know the history of the car.
If you know more, contact him. If not, why spout off with rumour and innuendo.........

Grant..

#33 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

iam glad i dont own it (24c) reshelled twice makes it a replica now... and its not the haves and have not grant..i know what i have
just stating the hard facts 24c is a collection of date stamped components all tucked into a 1973 shell
may explain why it has a 73 date coded steering rack!!!

#34 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

I will come back in 30 years to this forum and the same arguement will be raging...I guarantee...
R

#35 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

Race cars and road cars are completely different creatures.

An original road car needs to be just that - original.

A race car on the other hand, may look the same as when it was first raced but may have been built many times using various parts.

It all comes down to what you want and what you are prepared to pay.

I wouldn't buy a reshelled L34 (as a road car) but I'd be happy to buy an original L34 or a replica.

Talk to unclefesta if you want to know about L34's

#36 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

iam glad i dont own it (24c) reshelled twice makes it a replica now... and its not the haves and have not grant..i know what i have
just stating the hard facts 24c is a collection of date stamped components all tucked into a 1973 shell
may explain why it has a 73 date coded steering rack!!!

ever heard the old saying "jealousy is a curse" and nice giving someones car sxit thats not here anymore to defend himself hey climb back under your rock!! daz has been coping this shit from wxnkers like you ever since he got the car because he did what nobody else did brought it!! and because it turned out to be something special the green monster comes out you can say whatever you like doesnt change the fact its still 24c weather its reshelled 20 times and while im at it what do you have??

Edited by bullitljv8, 10 December 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#37 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

Hmm, reshelled race cars.
Ok, heres a question for you. Lets say Brock races a car. That car gets sold to another team and is written off and reshelled and raced.
Is this car still the Brock car? Or is it the car raced by the next team?
What about if a car is raced by Brock, sold to another team, continued to be raced, then later sold as a road car. Later it's converted back to a race car, is that a Brock car?
Or what if it was written off years after it finished racing and then reshelled, is that still a Brock car??

#38 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

^^^ my head hurts

#39 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

Geeze some tough questions there Red and I'll go first and try to answer some.

Firstly, let be clear that original road/street cars are completely different to race cars and its very difficult to compare the two let alone transfer from road car to race car and then back again to road car. I believe road cars are road cars and race cars are race cars. If you have a spare GHMPA shell then its just that a shell unless you add some parts and then it's not original.

Now thats out of the road.

Once Brocky sells his car is it a Brock car but if you crash it and rebuild it, it is no longer a Brock car. It is a car that team ???? built.

The transition from race car to road car is difficult to prove and establish. It will not have compliance plates (but should have cams log books) and in my opinion is still a race car. And by the way these cars are achieving higher prices than road cars, so why not just leave it as a race car.

A reshelled car is not the original car. A reshelled brock car would be fitted with brock accessories (IMHO) but is not the original car.

All these questions just come down to $$$$$ and everyone has their price.

Edited by lxsstorana, 10 December 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#40 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

just to take things to extreams
We will all be collecting v8 supercars in twenty years
now, pick a car from his season
it will very well change configeration almost entirly between rounds
Could well get a new engine gear box, full set of panels, new wheels etc etc may times during the year
only bit that remains the same is not much more than the main hoop and seat.
However it will still be accepted as THAT chassis

at the end of the day, i tend to think that if you can trace it from birth, then the end item you have is the best represntation of what THAT PARTICULAR car is, at this time.
The $$ value will be judged on how it stands against similar vehicles

Thats the best i can do

#41 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

^^^ my head hurts

Agreed.
I fail to see how a car that is lets say built by HDT and raced by Brock, sold to another team, raced, smashed, reshelled, later updated to other models, can then be returned to the original spec and be called that car based purely on the log book. What part of the car is the original car?
I'm not targeting 28C so don't shoot me, I never bothered to follow up it's history, but there are cars out there claiming to be something that they really are not.
In the case of the L34 in question, at least if you did write off a road car and reshell it, you would be reusing everything , engine gearbox trim etc. Who is to say a race car has any of these original bits?

#42 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

Ok I know this argument will never be resolved.... But.... It is in slightly poor taste as bullet said johnno to bring up that particular car. To be honest I have at times supported ur view, but in reading and researching it over tiMe I think I finally have a fair reasoning of what is generally accepted...the final straw for me was the talk of the current V8 super cars....... If it has been reshelled a number of times during it's life of racing as many have been, then of course this is what is generally accepted and then in my eyes in 20 years will be an original race car

The same could be said about the xu1's, a9x's etc. This would have been generally accepted practise in the day and despite what is now considered dodgy is completely fine in racing circles only !

What needs to be considered is that difference between a race car and a road car... Simple.... Race cars where reshelled, repaired as required and without budget. Road car ? Who cares, a reshelled, though possibly acceptable practise in the past is generally frowned upon.

I think any knockers of race pedigree cars will be put in their place by the sales price and interest, what did 24c sell for ? Nail in johns coffin if my memory serves me. ,

#43 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

ever heard the old saying "jealousy is a curse" and nice giving someones car sxit thats not here anymore to defend himself hey climb back under your rock!! daz has been coping this shit from wxnkers like you ever since he got the car because he did what nobody else did brought it!! and because it turned out to be something special the green monster comes out you can say whatever you like doesnt change the fact its still 24c weather its reshelled 20 times and while im at it what do you have??

Exactly - race cars are logbooked and the "race car" is history linked......

All these nay sayers must be mates of the person who had been telling people he had it before it really turned up......

As for a road car - if it's legally done then it is still the car. �The different shell might change the price, but it's still the car as every other part is the same bar the one "spare part". �It'd be like saying some certain members cars aren't L34's due to replaced bumpers or guards or rust repairs.......I think some don't understand how spare parts worked back in the day.

Grant..

#44 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:08 AM

on another note, darrel kane never started this thread so his name or car is not open slater, this is a sore point to me and my memory and i owe this to him.. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHOM THINK A CAR IS SPECIAL IS THE ONES THAT OWN THAT CAR AND IF YOU OWNED IT OR FOUND IT IT WOULD BE THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD,,,

so shut your pie holes and show some respect tossers

GONG. :shoot:

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 11 December 2010 - 05:13 AM.

#45 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

<p> 

Hi Guys,
I am looking at the possibility of purchasing an L34 in Qld. I believe it is the Bob Jane vehicle that had a body shell replacement very early in its life.
Could someone please confirm the No's are correct &amp; any additional information on the car would be appreciated.
Engine No. HZ18330
Vehicl ID. 7803251
Appreciate your help
Thanks.

</p><p>this is the first question that started this thread off..the guys name is Garry and I'm sure he is still looking and from what I've worked out will be looking for another 25 years as so far he has contacted me on 3 different occasions on 3 different cars in the past 18 months...he writes ''appreciate your help'' well i would appreciate the courtesy of you not wasting people's time and pumping there tyres up or pretending to make arrangements without any intentions of buying..by the way all 3 cars got sold to genuine buyers..

</p><p>the car in question is a road car that nearly slipped through the system if wasn't for alert buyer who sent the car back to amc after finding it was a re-shelled car..the car was originally being sold as a genuine car at the time..from that time and period the car has been advertised as a re-shelled car...again no big deal today it is what is and you all have your opinions..
if guys want to make comparisons compare apples with apples..not not oranges with watermelons..race-cars a just that with some teams budgets that big it would scare us..back in the 60s 70s it was normal practice for race teams to total a car and then go out and grab a base model and fit it up back to a race car specs...the important thing there was a log book and it was generally recorded hence its damn race-car and on some occasions racecars were turned back into road cars..

</p><p>my question here since a debate has been sparked is if you had the choice at the same price to buy a stock SLR5000 or this re-shelled L34...MY answer would this L34... growing up i watched nearly every SLR5000 get chopped up to look like a L34 or A9X cause they were the gun cars then that we aspired to cause we couldn't afford a original L34 so we built a car around it..
which leads me to my point the L34 WAS AND IS THE TOP OF TREE IN THAT MODEL its limited numbers made and with so little documented about it and still speculation about the numbers produced..I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE GMH DOCUMENT as to the numbers made all I've ever heard in the 30years I've been around them is 260 odd to 280..this why the 73 bathurst XU1s,l34 and A9X Hatchbacks are the top off tree in there respective models cause of there rarity...and that's why original examples will express that in good times with big sale prices..replicas will always be just that but in saying that I've seen some beautiful examples but when buying i look for that magical tin plate that tells you the car is one off few chosen ones and unfortunately that makes all the difference when they belong to that original car..repaired,rollover,chassis rails replaced,guards,bonnets,glass etc they form the parts that the original foundation was built upon..my opinion stands so long as the car has retained its original body-shell it is was it..and when the id tags get stolen or removed it still is what is but not with the same value..
the sad part about all of this is people often forget why they owned these cars purely for enjoyment,unfortunately not its got a lot to do with that dollar factor or investment each to there own....i owned my cars cause i grew up watching my cult heros Colin bond,Allan grice,allan moffat,peter Brock,bobby Morris,jim Richards,bob Jane,peter Jansen,charlie O'Brien just to name few drive the wheels of these cars and do them justice for what they were made for and i'm still trying emilate them..
enjoy what you got in this journey of life cause your only going to be handing it down to next generation...there only cars not shrines to worship.. 
</p>

#46 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

enjoy what you got in this journey of life cause your only going to be handing it down to next generation...

I couldn't agree more. People called us ( unclefestal34 and I ) CRAZY because we chose to race L34's. We weren't crazy, we were enjoying the car. That's the true investment. Its not always about what you put in, its what you get out.

#47 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

on another note, darrel kane never started this thread so his name or car is not open slater, this is a sore point to me and my memory and i owe this to him.. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHOM THINK A CAR IS SPECIAL IS THE ONES THAT OWN THAT CAR AND IF YOU OWNED IT OR FOUND IT IT WOULD BE THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD,,,

so shut your pie holes and show some respect tossers

GONG. :shoot:

Bugger Gong!...You beat me to it!....Well said....RIP Daz...
R

#48 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

enjoy what you got in this journey of life cause your only going to be handing it down to next generation...

I couldn't agree more. People called us ( unclefestal34 and I ) CRAZY because we chose to race L34's. We weren't crazy, we were enjoying the car. That's the true investment. Its not always about what you put in, its what you get out.

well i guess we both are crazy these cars were never suppose to run mid 11 second quarter mile times were they...yes john i'm hearing you loud and clear..the investment is the enjoyment you get out of your toys and the happiness they bring to others with the same interests..

#49 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

Some very interesting and appropriate comments from all involved in this discussion. I, like Unclefesta and others had an L34 as a kid, 17 yrs old. And can well remember the drivers of these cars in the early 70,s and later racing. I have had others since then and have cars now. Rebodied/reshelled race cars were common then and still get the same treatment today to get a car back out there racing.. However....... If Granpa had an axe and replaced the head twice and the handle eight times, is this still his ORIGINAL axe with all its components??? By the way I have no idea who Darrel reffered to by others is. The person who nearly bought the Perth car found out it,s history by being directed to a person who had knowledge of the cars actual past. The owner at the time did not volunteer this information, well why would he??? Big $$$$$$ for the original car v little $$ for a non original car, even though it is still a very nice motor car. Look on AMCS, $75,000 for an original 5000 and the guy in Qld with 1 of 4 L34,s asking $89,000. What is this telling us?

#50 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

Some very interesting and appropriate comments from all involved in this discussion. I, like Unclefesta and others had an L34 as a kid, 17 yrs old. And can well remember the drivers of these cars in the early 70,s and later racing. I have had others since then and have cars now. Rebodied/reshelled race cars were common then and still get the same treatment today to get a car back out there racing.. However....... If Granpa had an axe and replaced the head twice and the handle eight times, is this still his ORIGINAL axe with all its components??? By the way I have no idea who Darrel reffered to by others is. The person who nearly bought the Perth car found out it,s history by being directed to a person who had knowledge of the cars actual past. The owner at the time did not volunteer this information, well why would he??? Big $$$$$$ for the original car v little $$ for a non original car, even though it is still a very nice motor car. Look on AMCS, $75,000 for an original 5000 and the guy in Qld with 1 of 4 L34,s asking $89,000. What is this telling us?

Its telling us that the market has come back a fair bit. Its also telling us that the MC market is starting to weed out the investors and attract real buyers. I think you'll find that the really good/genuine/authentic cars will continue to haul in th BIG BUCKS, the others will get value for money or whatever the market is prepared to pay.

Ultimetely, stop looking at current price/investment opportunities and start enjoying these beautiful cars.
Its a shame that many have turned into "Garage Art", I would prefer to see them on the road/track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users