push button start

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 _marshallLX_

_marshallLX_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hey guys does any one out there know where i can buy some gear to set up a push button starter for me LX or has any one done this before that they could give me some tips, it would be a big help as i would like to do as much work to my car as i canPosted Image

#2 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

i did this mod in my 4x4, but i still had to have the reds on, the way i did it was pulled the iginition barrel out and got a piece of wire, stripped both ends back turned the reds on and started touching each contact on the back of the barrel ontill she fired over, the looked at what colour wires the contacts were soldered to and chased em down under the dash a little bit then spliced 2 new wires in to them wires and attached to a push button starter the snipped the wires at the back of the barrel and wall'a, i only did it so that it i ever stalled the 4x4 mid hill climb the button was on the steering wheel so it was a thumbs reach away, im sure there are alot of different ways this can be done but thats how i did it and never had a drama !!

#3 _Ben_

_Ben_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

I plan to do something similar in my LJ. Was thinking that the way i would do it would that you also had the reds on. I was also thining of getting a race switch panel or something similar. This might pass the reds system and have instructions to fit.

#4 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

yeah maybe fit up one of those missile toggle switchs for the reds then go with the push button start ??

#5 _Ben_

_Ben_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

A friend of mine was telling me why i should have reds. It might of had something to do with rego?

#6 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com....e-/270577955875

#7 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Personally I think this whole Start button idea is the biggest piece of marketing wank ever invented. We have a Prado at work with this and you have to have your foot on the brake to start it and if you just want to listen to the radio and then want ot turn it off you have to start and then stop the engine - give me a good old fashioned key anyday, or at least a switch with the old acc, on and start positions if you must have keyless.

of course in a race car (or race car look) then missile/toggle switches are completely acceptable.

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

I was thinking of rigging one up in the blue car, where I still had a key ignition but the actual starter motor circuit was separate. I'm not actually sure why I want that, but for some reason I do... lol

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

When mine was fitted we ensured the key had to be in the ignition and turned on - reds?
Then one hits the button to start, you can turn the key but nothing happens. The key turns it off too.

My starter button is located on the console that was custom made for the car and is located not really in ready view unless you know its there. There is a photo somewhere in the Tangerine Dream thread - projects n plans.

Herne

#10 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

http://www.digitalgu...e-security.html
http://www.kptechnol...roducts.php#/18
http://www.auto-hub....t_ignition.html
http://www.keepitcle...on-Start-Switch

#11 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:30 AM

I once broke the gear on the back of the ignition barrel in my HJ which activates the ignition switch. When turned to start it would skip a tooth and when released it would effectively go back to accessories- engine would run but no indicators. I couldn't find a replacement gear so I used an on/off switch from a TV and disconnected the tiny wire to make the switch from a 'push on/ push off' to a 'momentary on' switch.

I just traced the small wire from the starter back to the ignition switch, cut it, and hooked up my modified switch to an 'ignition switch on' power source. This stopped it from working when the ignition was in an 'off/accessories' position and I didn't have to move the key around to 'start' and skip a tooth- again.

Had a problem in my VB where it just wouldn't crank and it was too hard to trace the wiring so I bought a Narva 'momentary on' switch (about $6 I think) and one of them fancy 'missile' switches so I don't accidentally knock it to 'on'. ($10/12 Jaycar) Found a 'constant on' power source and hooked up both switches in series and ran a new wire instead of that small starter wire. 'Missiles armed' and push button- Vroom. Turn 'missiles off' so I don't bump the button with my knee while driving and wreck my ring-gear. Took about 1/2hr to do.

Heath: "I was thinking of rigging one up in the blue car, where I still had a key ignition but the actual starter motor circuit was separate. I'm not actually sure why I want that, but for some reason I do... lo"

Now I can crank over the engine (in the VB) with the ignition off to do compression checks etc.

Edited by Gunmetal LH, 25 May 2010 - 02:37 AM.

#12 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

Personally I think this whole Start button idea is the biggest piece of marketing wank ever invented. We have a Prado at work with this and you have to have your foot on the brake to start it and if you just want to listen to the radio and then want ot turn it off you have to start and then stop the engine - give me a good old fashioned key anyday, or at least a switch with the old acc, on and start positions if you must have keyless.

of course in a race car (or race car look) then missile/toggle switches are completely acceptable.

Drove a '50 Caddy which had a nice neat factory start button beside the key/switch, it was quite cool. Easier to figure out than the 58 Buick where you hit the accelerator to crank it!

#13 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

I can not understand why anyone would want to turn the key and then press a button. The key and push button start was used in minis until 1965 when it was superseded by the key start. Why would you want to go backwards?

The only way that push button start makes sense is if it used in conjunction with a proximity key which then raises security issues.

#14 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

one of my customers has a FPV GT he left the keys in it while he ran in side to get something. when he came out it was pushed down the drive way but the kids could not get it started. the fools didnt know it had a push start button.

#15 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

I can not understand why anyone would want to turn the key and then press a button. The key and push button start was used in minis until 1965 when it was superseded by the key start. Why would you want to go backwards?

The only way that push button start makes sense is if it used in conjunction with a proximity key which then raises security issues.

The answer is simple, Torana ignition locks are dodgy! They dont feel right even when replaced with a brand new old stock one.

#16 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

plus they look good

#17 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:15 AM

If you have removed the ignition key completely and wired the button up so it starts and stops the engine then I think it is not a bad idea.

If you still have to use the key to switch the ignition on and off and unlock the steering then in my opinion a start button it is just a gimmick.

#18 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

I was thinking of rigging one up in the blue car, where I still had a key ignition but the actual starter motor circuit was separate. I'm not actually sure why I want that, but for some reason I do... lol

So you can crank up oil pressure before you fire it.

#19 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

So you can crank up oil pressure before you fire it.

Be simpler to just have a off/on switch going to the coil if that was the aim.

I think people should also explore the rules and regs before going down this route. If the starter motor could be activated without any additional security feature, then its likely it would contravene some reg.

If its a manual the vehicle could move if someone pushes the start button while the car is in gear.

#20 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

If you have removed the ignition key completely and wired the button up so it starts and stops the engine then I think it is not a bad idea.

If you still have to use the key to switch the ignition on and off and unlock the steering then in my opinion a start button it is just a gimmick.

Danny who fitted mine does a lot of work for one of our authorised rego engineers, and although I didnt ask why the key is still used its not hard to figure out its probably a rego requirement... And yeah its a gimmick and as 2wild4u stated they look good. Of course we are not talking grandpa cars here nor purist shite :) A modified car is just that and it is what it is. Not for everyone but neither is a stock looking Torry either, EACH TO THEIR OWN.

Cheers
Herne

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

Yeah oil pressure was one of the things I'd thought of in the past but I forgot that when I wrote the post haha. Good onya Heath

#22 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

In the purple car we just have two switches, fuel pump on, (holley pump whiiiiiirs its head off in the boot) ingnition circuit on (lights...) and then a push button to click the starter over (action :) )

#23 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

If you are going to retain the key then you may as well wire the start button in the same loop as the factory start switch. That way you can use the key or the button to start the car. This will allow you to use the key day to day because it is more practical and when you want to impress you friends you can press the button.

#24 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

I have a push start button in mine. You must turn the key as if you are going to start the car, and push the button at the same time. More of a safety feature than something to impress people.

#25 _Ben_

_Ben_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

I like the sound of that Mitch. Might consider something similar for my LJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users