LJ Project, Which way to go..

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 _Sidewayz_

_Sidewayz_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

I'm looking to get an LJ as a project car. I'm searching for something that has already been resprayed and is rust free.

This is where I need your help:

I'd love to have the RB30DET sitting in the bay, but I'm wondering how much the full conversion will end up costing, and whether it would be easier to convert to an injected 8 instead? I mainly want it as a quick weekend/toy car, but I�d like to have the better economy of the 3.0L.

So for all those knowledgeable people on here that have done the conversion or know somebody that has done it, could you please list what parts would be needed for each conversion? And how much you think the conversions would cost in total?

I'm from Perth, so if anyone can point me in the direction of somebody who's done the DET conversion I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for any help!

-Joel

#2 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:51 AM

Trevvy has the conversion kit for sale aswell as motor g'box ect rb30

good luck finding a rust free freshly painted Lc-Lj they are becoming very rare in perth

to fit a 5litre in an LC LJ the trans dept will make you jump hoops for machining

hope this helps tom

#3 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

conversion costs would be very close assuming the lj would need a custom sump and engine mounts??

all other costs are shared, exhaust $600?, brakes $1000, trans x member $200, fuel pumps $400, tank, wiring, radiator $300.

extra rb30 costs would be if you wanted a cooler, and the det will cost a fair bit.

#4 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

the RB30 is an SOHC so there is no "D", its just plain RB30ET. Have a look on fullboost.com theres a green LJ that has the plates CGMFLY that has the RB30ET conversion, it runs 10s or something.

3 litres isnt economy but i guess if ur comparing it to an injected 8 then yeah. I think your better off buying an already done car to be honest, with all these new rta laws coming in your project might take too long.

#5 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

the RB30 is an SOHC so there is no "D", its just plain RB30ET.

i assumed sidewayz knows what he's on about, and wants an rb30 with the twin cam head, hence why i mentioned the det conversion as an extra cost

#6 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

Have a look on fullboost.com theres a green LJ that has the plates CGMFLY that has the RB30ET conversion, it runs 10s or something.

I'll save you the trouble

Posted Image

#7 _Sidewayz_

_Sidewayz_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, just the info I was after. Yeah I'm hoping for the RB25 head, for the dual cams.

I've seen a few LJ's resprayed and rust-free advertised here in Perth, just a waiting game to find one for the right price, cos I think body is the most costly/frustrating part of a restoration.

So nobody over the West done this conversion?

What's these new RTA laws coming in BTW?

Cheers

#8 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

japxu1 is doing the twincam 25 head/rb30 thats all the specs im giving ya. PM him

i believe this is over WA some where
Posted Image

#9 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

use a pre 1972 (lc) shell and you dont have to comply with adr27a which is a huge bonus.
also you cant get a cooler to fit behind a lj grille.
heres some pics of mine to wet your appetite.

the costs are high as with any conversion but have a look at the result
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:31 PM

That looks awesome. How far is it away from moving under its own power? Did you make the induction system yourself?

#11 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

yeah i made the lot and its only days away from starting

#12 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

use a pre 1972 (lc) shell and you dont have to comply with adr27a which is a huge bonus.

If this sounds a little stupid then please excuse, but I thought pre adr27a was on LX's before july am I wrong?

#13 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:37 PM

LJs adr codes
1 reversing lamps
2 door latches and hinges
3 seat anchorage
4seat belts
5a seat belt anchorage
6 direction turn signal lamps
7 hydrolic brake hoses
8 safty glass
10b steering colum
11 internal sun virors
12 glare reduction
14 rear vision mirrors
15 demisting of windscreen
16 wippers and washers
18 location and visability of instraments
20 safety rims
21 instrament pannels
22 head restraints
24 tyre selection
25 anti-theft locks
26 vechicle engine emission control

LC ADR rules
2 door latches and hinges
3 seat anchorages
4 seat belts
5a seat belt anchorage points
7 hydraulic brake hoses
8 safety glass
10a steering column
15 demisting of windscreens
20 safety rims

these codes are from a 9/71 CK LC XU1, earlier cars have less codes

hope this helps

#14 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

also worth mentioning is that any vehicle built on or after 1/72 has to conform to the emission standards of the donor engine. read adr27a

#15 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:03 AM

jap-xu1 that is a awesome looking car should be very quick, very nice its a credit to you very tuff.

#16 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

thanks mate

#17 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

this is the ADR's on a 9/70 lc

4 seat belts
5a seat belt anchorage
7 hydrolic brake hoses
20 safety rims

#18 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

Topic moved to correct section...

Good luck with the project!

#19 dannygtrxu1

dannygtrxu1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

hi everyone

does anyone know what the 26 vechicle engine emission control is????? is it a hose running from ur carby to somewhere or??????

danny..

#20 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:00 AM

Hose running from the carbie to the carbon canister? I'm not sure.

#21 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:16 AM

if i were you i would go the rb30 over a 5ltr. i have driven quite a few vl turbos and 5ltr commodores and the turbos shit all over them. i am a v8 man but i must admit the rb30's are fast and can go fast for not too much $$$ unless you get carried away.

if you buy a torana with a trimatic in it allready these can be made to adapt the rb30 and you also have things like shifter and cooler pipes and so on all ready to go. these can be made into a lot better auto then a jatco.

good luck with it

ryan

#22 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

i went the V8 with mine if i did another one id look at something like a rb30 turbo i think the cars are too light for lots of torque to early in the rev range.the rb30 is more of a later developing type power which i think suits the lighter weight car better.

#23 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

I think theyre both great in a straight line. As other people said with proper mods the RB can eat a 5L V8. Having said that theres nothing quite like the sound of a V8 =D. IMO both engines are too big and too heavy over the front wheels to handle well around corners, so in the case of a circuit racer it wouldn't be too good.

#24 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

Which ever way you go they both are great motors in these little cars JAPXU1 you make me jealous of your skills and workmanship well done when i get sick of the sound of my 355 (probaly never) id go with a similar setup i wanted the old school theme for my car no computers and stuff just fuel air and spark!

#25 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

I think if you want a cruiser with instant torque & sound then put a v8 but if you are really into speed & racing on a track then put in a rb engine but both types of engines will leave you with a smile,especially in a lc/j.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users