I've got a set of VN commodore struts

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:30 AM

As the topic states, i've got me a nice set of commodore struts with stub axels included... If i were to swap them......

Could i convert the front end of my car to commodore pattern??

Obviously i would do the rear to compliment...
Keith

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

I take it you want Commodre struts in the UC? Your best bet is to place them in the boot. It's the only way you'll get them to fit. There are plenty of ways to convert the UC to Commodore stud pattern. I converted my LX to VK 4 wheel discs about 8 years ago. Plenty of kits around, or you could make something yourself. What is your budget and what are you trying to achieve?

#3 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

I meant the stub axels - i dont want stinky old commodore struts in my UC!! Can i swap the stubs over to run commodore rotors or is the process a bit more complicated than that!

Money is not an option, but i would like to do it myself if parts can be sourced...

Keith

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

There is no way a strut stub could possibly be attatched to a ball joint double wishbone suspension unit.

#5 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:32 PM

Ok, thank you for clearing that up!!

#6 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:06 PM

they are the same bearings, so rotors will go straight onto the torana stubs, issues you will have are due to the disc height. the commodore rotor sits far back from the wheel mounting face. so when you fit a calliper, you quickly run out of room (calliper starts hitting stuff)
ford height is a lot lower...

#7 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

i think what you are after Keith is a adaptor kit to fit the commodore brakes to the torana stub axles .... i think to do it with these brakes you will need drum stubs though and i know of the adaptors to suit .... v6 conversions sell them i believe.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

The main problem with these kits is finding the drum brake stub axles in the first place. I've spoken to several wreckers and most of them have a deal, where any that do come in go straight to brake conversion places. I found a place that has several sets of drum brake stub axles. I won't be stating where the place is, because I don't want them all disappearing to profit makers. If you're interested, send me a PM.

#9 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:08 AM

Ok, just for clarification purposes.... I'm not the brake expert here....

If i use commodore drum stubs on the front, it should be ok?? And for the rear, i have access to a complete VL Commodore rear end, is it more so just a matter of shortening the setup and modifying the parts, or is it more a job for the machinist??

Keith

#10 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

No such thing as commodore drum stubs

You'd need Torana drum stubs
Then have them modified to suit the bracket
Then you need to buy the bracket and use the rest of the brake system off the struts you have
Then you throw the struts away (spindle that holds the bearing is part of the strut and not removable)

Or you could sell the struts to someone else and use the procedes towards a Hoppers kit that will bolt straight to your existing disc brake Torana stubs

#11 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

Cool, im investigating prices etc now.... im not after big ass brakes or anything like that, im just looking to upgrade wheels and thought that commodore has quite a large selection...

#12 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

yeah im doing the same thing Keith, its a wise move going for a commodore rim, the options are endless then.

#13 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

It does make a lot more options in choice of wheels when you change to commodore stud pattern especially when there are so many commodores out there,even better when you can try out your friends mags on your car to see what they look like on your car.

#14 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

Watch your offsets when you change to Commo rims, I believe that there is a difference of approx 22mm per side between Commodore's and Toranas.

#15 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:26 AM

So custom offsets would be in order? Surely there would be a mag wheel company (apart from simmons) who can alter the offset of their wheels....

#16 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

For Simmons it is easy as their wheels are a modular (2 or 3 piece) design. For the others its not simple, as it means remanufacturing the casting moulds in the offset you want.

#17 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

which way does it offset the wheels in or out ?

im keen to trial fit it all, i just need some drum stubs, but none seem to be available anywhere :cry:

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

How many sets of drum brake stub axles do you want? I know where around half a dozen pairs are lying out in the rain. I have a feeling most are HD/HR, which will give you an extra 2 degrees of negative camber, but are otherwise identical to LC - LX drum brake stubs. I shall try to make time to call my mate tomorrow.

#19 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

i too have a set of HD/HR drum stubs but i wanted to get the Torana ones so the KPI would be right ... all im after is one set, aslong as they are Torana ones that is.

Thanks Chopper!

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:33 PM

I did manage to call him. He has 17 sets of HR drum brake stubs. No Torry ones.

#21 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

thanks for trying chopper .... if i get some time on the weekend i might rip one of the stubs off the torry and fit the brakes with the hr stubs and see how they sit, i have the torry setup with a bit more camber than stock which is noticable when looking at it so i'll see if i can remove shims etc to get it in the right location with the HR stubs, if so i might be happy with that .... just don't want to go too far and chew through tyres all the time.

#22 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:10 PM

If the HR ones give the same ride height as the Torana stub which I believe it will, I would use it because it has the 7 degree KPI.

Up to you though, I dont know your plans.

Chopper, do you still want those CRS adaptors for these drum brake stubs? I really would prefer to see them go to a good home - the spiders are building their webs in them in my garage.

M@

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:39 PM

I forgot who had them to be honest. What was it again? HQ discs and calipers >> drum brake stubs, wasn't it? If it's that or Commodore, I'm interested. Contact number has been PM'd.

#24 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

ok i got stuck into the wheel arch this weekend ....

yes they are the same height as the torana stubs just with the HR/HQ KPI ... it does add a bit of extra camber to the front end, but it doesn't seem to bad, should be able to fix it with removal of shims atleast enough to give good handling (i hope) without too much effect to tyre wear.

i also had the thought, if i drill the front end to have the upper control arms sit 1 inch lower which i believe is A9X spec this should push the top of the stub axle out, as the car sits now the upper control arm is pointing down as it moves out towards the stub axle, so that should help with KPI and also mean as you corner more camber will pack on .... anyways im going to have a bit of a scope out of some other calipers etc but so far this is what looks like it will work ok ....

Posted Image
hr drum brake stub axle with commodore brake adaptor.

Posted Image
now with VK disc and caliper.

Posted Image
now i think this mag suits the car really well, all be it needing a smaller tyre! either way it all fits under the guard ok and clears everything else other than the front of the guard when you turn - please disregard the caliper on the rear of the stub axle, i was checking both ways to see which was the best for clearance (front wins)

Posted Image
bit of an idea how it all goes together ....

so yeah, i'd say i'll probably end up going for this option, just need to test a few more caliper theories i have .... and i will report back.

also need to find some more mags, if i use these on the torana then i need to get mags to hold up the FB UTE (project in the shed)

Edited by Sammy, 15 May 2006 - 03:09 PM.

#25 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

I also had the thought, if i drill the front end to have the upper control arms sit 1 inch lower which i believe is A9X spec this should push the top of the stub axle out, as the car sits now the upper control arm is pointing down as it moves out towards the stub axle, so that should help with KPI and also mean as you corner more camber will pack on ....

No. KPI is set. It may alter the camber change, but whether it would be noticeable or not is another matter. But it should give you a bit more positive camber, or remove some negative camber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users