Body resto on rusty 1969 Camaro

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#126 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

I might try and show the bootlid. It had so much bog in it that the bog had cracked, let in enough water to rust a big hole in the top of the bootlid. Nice : )

A;so it used to run a big cast trimpiece along the back, so the boot skin had heaps of indents and holes along the back. I reskinned it all to get it a bit smoother, as the trims aren't going back on.

Posted Image

I also had to replace the lower part of the inner frame too.

Posted Image

Here's the new rear outer skin fitted. You can see there are no holes or indents any more. Looks a lot nicer. You can also see the rust hole and big dent in the top of the boot lid. There are basically no rust repair sections for these cars, so I had to make everything. I think that's why I actually really enjoyed working on this car.

Posted Image

I rolled up a new section of outer skin on the english wheel to replace the badly damaged section.

Posted Image

I like the smooth, simple look of it now.

Posted Image

#127 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:15 AM

Well that worked. Not sure about a pic limit per post???

I'll stick a couple more on then until it wont let me do any more : )

This will be a really brief outline, but you'll get the idea.

Here's some of the bad sections cut out. You can just see on the left the new section of inner sill fitted.

Posted Image

Here's the most of it repaired. Everything that's grey is new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also widened the tubs 100mm to fit the 20x16s the owner has for the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The entire wheel arch lip was stuffed as usual, so Imade a new one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the left side of the underside seam sealed and stone guarded.

Posted Image

It never looks much in photos, but there's a lot of work in this thing.

Posted Image

Well that's a lot of pics, so I'll see if it will let me post them all.

#128 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

Well seeing as they posted and I can't sleep I'll just keep going : )

I made new outer sills.

Posted Image

The owner bought a pair of lower rear quarter skins. They were a big help, but were VERY poorly made. They needed a hell of a lot of work to make fit properly.

Posted Image

It was very nice to see it starting to look like an actual car for once.

Posted Image

I also shaved the roof gutters off. The owner wants to go with a subtle, more modern feel. Shaving gutters is easy, but be careful when doing it. There's usually 3 layers of metal in there, so only cut no more than 6 inches off at a time, then weld it up, then cut a bit more etc. That way it doesn't separate and distort.

Posted Image

Starting on the other side now.

Posted Image

How nice is this car? : )

Posted Image

Here's most of the repair done for the front and middle section.

Posted Image

It sure aint pretty, but it's an improvement.

Posted Image

A lot of work had to go into where the inner and outer sill meet the wheel tubs. Everything has to be tied together, but not be too much of a moisture trap.

Posted Image

Here's the section just before the wheel tub finished and the tub widenend. The outer sill is also in place now.

Posted Image

I also had to make new pieces where the bottom of the front guard bolts to the car. This area was totally rusted originally.

Posted Image

Here's SOME of the metal I cut out of this car. I still have to do the entire boot floor and the other bolt on panels yet : )

Posted Image

So there you go. It's still a work in progress, so no finished shots yet.

#129 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

I would love to know where he got the quarters for the Bonny

#130 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Do they have 34 hour days in Queensland because you seem to get a lot done in a day!

#131 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Do you work alone mostly tim? you really look like you could use an apprentice..*hint hint* :lol:

#132 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

I would love to know where he got the quarters for the Bonny

Hi Bart. I'm pretty sure he got them from Canada. At least that's where they were made. I can ask him though if you like. Knowing now what I know though I'd just make them myself. They were VERY poorly made. Just flat panels with the wheel arch power hammered into it causing massive buckling, and absolutely no outward curve, so I also had to run them through the english wheel so they weren't just flat.

Hi myss427. Sometimes I wish we did have 34 hour days, and other times I don't even want to get out of bed : ) How's your hatch coming along?

Hi AD_75. Yes I mainly work alone. It's usually easier that way. An apprentice would be good. I'll give you $30 a week hahaha : )

Main problem though is I have no qualifications at all, so I'm not even an apprentice : (

#133 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Yes I mainly work alone. It's usually easier that way. An apprentice would be good. I'll give you $30 an Hour hahaha : )

Main problem though is I have no qualifications at all, so I'm not even an apprentice : (

Here i fixed this for ya..:P lol okay so maybe you can pay me in beer..i have to admit though you have to be the best non qualified person i know of!

#134 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Aido! It's great be the best dumb ass I can be hahaha : )

#135 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

Lol! ya tool :) keep that up and i may have to ride up to the sunny coast for a visit..with cruiza's spy cam. :huh::lol:

#136 _DomDom_

_DomDom_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

You are truly amazing Tim! How do you know the shape of those parts? There doesn't appear to be much to go by.

Dom

#137 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Dom. Yeah sometimes there's a bit of creative licence as to what shape to make some panels when there's nothing left, but as long as the panels that ARE still there will still fit then it doesn't usually matter too much. I just try to make sure things are strong and aren't going to capturetoo much moisture and dirt. Other than that I just make it up as I go : )

#138 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

Some frOcking great work on the Pontiac mate, you have egged me on to do my dads.
I got to order a boot floor and probably some floor pans. The rear quarters i may still want to buy then shape them as you did, at least its a start on the quarters rather starting from scratch.

http://www.jcwhitney...questid=4452461

#139 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

i vote this thread be renamed ''Dirtbags metal magic''

#140 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

Some frOcking great work on the Pontiac mate, you have egged me on to do my dads.
I got to order a boot floor and probably some floor pans. The rear quarters i may still want to buy then shape them as you did, at least its a start on the quarters rather starting from scratch.

Thanks Bart. The quarters in that link look a lot better than the ones I was given. It's weird, but I have some kind of retarded attraction to rusty cars. I'm thinking "I wish I was closer to sydney so I could give you a hand"...... I mean, what the hell is wrong with me????? hahhaha

If you can't find floors pans or a boot floor, invest in a bead roller (from memory mine was about $200-$250 from Summit AUD) and make them yourself. As long as there's some swages (beads) in the floors, they wont drum skin and will do the job fine. Just a thought anyway.

Plus, being a 4 door the rear quarters probably wouldn't be too hard to make. Are the wheel arches all rusted out? If not, then a local sheetie should be able to fold a piece up and you can just join it into the wheel arch flare? mmmm....rusty cars......hahaha

Hi MCH11N. I wish I could do magic, then I wouldn't get so dirty every day : )

#141 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

For resto on rust use ''Dirtbags metal magic'' in a can

#142 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:38 AM

For resto on rust use ''Dirtbags metal magic'' in a can

hahahaha Posted Image

#143 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

does that can come with a xxxx lable?

#144 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Thanks Bart. The quarters in that link look a lot better than the ones I was given. It's weird, but I have some kind of retarded attraction to rusty cars. I'm thinking "I wish I was closer to sydney so I could give you a hand"...... I mean, what the hell is wrong with me????? hahhaha

If you can't find floors pans or a boot floor, invest in a bead roller (from memory mine was about $200-$250 from Summit AUD) and make them yourself. As long as there's some swages (beads) in the floors, they wont drum skin and will do the job fine. Just a thought anyway.

Plus, being a 4 door the rear quarters probably wouldn't be too hard to make. Are the wheel arches all rusted out? If not, then a local sheetie should be able to fold a piece up and you can just join it into the wheel arch flare? mmmm....rusty cars......hahaha

Hi MCH11N. I wish I could do magic, then I wouldn't get so dirty every day : )

Thanks Dirtbag, its not strange, you obviously love what you do and thats great, too many people work jobs they hate which is a shame. Keep up the great work mate.

#145 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

Re-Dirtbag:

Picking my exhaust up from High Octane Coatings on Saturday, just a few lines and a base tune in the computer, bleed brakes and clutch (plus more cash for tyres and bits) and right to go! Want it to go to Toranafest! You should bring the hatch down there, the way you proceed it will be well and truely finished by then.

#146 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Sounds awesome! I'm so jealous you have a big block hatch with a proper gearbox. Are you sure I can't have it???

Make sure you stick some pics in here so we can all drool....... : )

#147 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Sounds awesome! I'm so jealous you have a big block hatch with a proper gearbox. Are you sure I can't have it???

Make sure you stick some pics in here so we can all drool....... : )

Seen pics of your BB LX, very sexy.

Hey Dirtbag, do you use a Henrob or standard Oxy to weld your panels?

#148 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi again Bart. I'm not a big fan of the henrob torch, but maybe I just haven't used one enough. I like the good old fashioned standard oxy : )

#149 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Is it my computer or is there something wrong with your photobucket account Tim?

I can not see any pics of the Camaro or the Torana. :blink2:

#150 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

He has exceeded his bandwitdh. Too many people all over the intranetz drooling over his shit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users