The Car Trailer.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:53 PM

Well, i have lots of spare tubed steel,
me and a mate got talking last night (he builds patios for a living)

we were discussing making a car trailer

what would be the legalitys and what would be a good way of making one do they make trailer kits for them....

i haven't really done any homework into it but from what i hear its alot more cheaper then buying a brand new one or one out of say the autotrader, quokka

i guess what im asking is has anybody got plans or blueprints or even can give me step by step instructions on how to build one

i need it to tow comfortably behind my VT which has a 2100 rated Reese Hitch, i have towed a few trailers behind it and theres one that i hire from classic hire in kelmscott and its such a lightweight trailer it sits behind me no problem even loaded up with a full car

but all im going to be towing with it most of the time would be my Torana, but i do want it to be able to tow other things as well

so should i have it braked or unbraked or what should i do, any suggestions???? maybe even buying buying a bunky car trailer and restoring it or would building one from scratch be the cheapest?

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

Unbraked can't exceed 999kg fully loaded inc trailer
SO thats out unless your carrying a very light car

So it must be braked

#3 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

so those trailers im hiring from classic hire are illegal then??? coz ive used them 4 times recently towing a VP berlina behind it????

#4 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

If they don't have brakes... and your towing overweight... you are doing it illegally... yes

#5 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:01 AM

How much is your torana worth to you? Iv heard so many horror stories about trailers failing that I personally wouldnt build my own car trailer, just because I am afraid of something going wrong and would feel more comfortable spending a bit of money buying one off a reputable company.

When I researched building the torailer, I came across heaps of plans for building trailers and it came with lists of everything needed to pass a roadworthy all from a google search.
Unfortunately none of this info is on this computer, but from the top of my head:
- Full brake, reverse and indicators
- Reflectors on the front and rear of the trailer
- Braking systems required if full load weight exceeds 700kg on single axle, 2 axles if full weight exceeds 1250kg.
- Arches covering wheels/tyres
- Weight ratio of 70/30 towards front of trailer.

As I said these are off the top of my head so may not be 100% and they are for NSW rules and regulations. May be different in WA.

Ill try and find some info, but i think that computer went bang

#6 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

if ay gonna build your own dont go cheap on the materials i hear every one says lighter is better i dont trust the lighter ones coz a few ive borrowed and hired have been half rooted cos the steel is to light weight any one who has seen my trailer knows its pretty heavy duty it is heavier than most and car sits higher but because the wheels sit directly over the trailers wheeels it tows very well and makes it easy to see whose behind you ect also if you have the choice go electric brakes coming back from this years drag day down the slide i would have been stuffed it i had hydraulic or cable brakes road was very greasy had to cut a couple of corners but im certain if i couldnt manually apply trailer brakes to slow me dow it woulda pushed me over the edge

#7 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

You're gunna build what this time???..... a trailer??......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

#8 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hi

Id just buy a trailer, if something falls apart off your trailer and kills or hurts someone you could be sued for millions.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Heaps of people have built trailers. If you plan everything in accordance to the regulations and get it legitimately registered, I don't see the problem. Making your own seems like a pretty good way to go to me

To avoid making something that comes together and ends up being shithouse to tow, try and get some nice magic number dimensions off other people who have built them before. Or you can pretty much do a replica of someone else's

But you seriously need to sort out your projects. Reach a milestone before you start thinking of building other things that you want. You say you work all the time, so you must have a bit of money for hiring trailers on the odd occasion that you need to do so. Pay off your stupid loan, put a grand aside for building a trailer later on, get one of your cars sorted. That's my opinion

#10 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

any one who has seen my trailer knows its pretty heavy duty it is heavier than most and car sits higher but because the wheels sit directly over the trailers wheeels it tows very well and makes it easy to see whose behind you ect

Got any photos of this ? I have a flat tray trailer that is real heavy duty and I was going to turn it into a car trailer, but it sits too high with the wheels under the tray. It sounds like you have this same set up but didn't push the wheels outside the tray to lower it like I was planning to do.
If I read your post correctly your trailer wheels are basically the same width as your car and the car sits over the top of them ? If I could do that to mine it would save me a fortune :-)

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Here is my car on mr5000's trailer
Posted Image

#12 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Yeah i would stop and think hard about what you want to do, having 8 projects on the go is not only a financial nightmare its bloody stupid. Last night in the shoutbox you said "gen3torrie Icon : (Today, 12:21 AM) i mean my welding skills are alright " Sorry but 'Alright' wont cut it when there is 2 tonne of metal behind a car with 'Alright' Welding on it. As has been said, it could be life or death really..

#13 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Heath.

Looks nothing like mine or how I envisioned mine will look when converted. So it tows OK sitting up that high - that was my main concern that it would be top heavy and want to fall over in corners, or adversely affect the handling ??

Mine is a completey flat tray so the car will probably sit up a bit higher than on mr5000's by a couple of inches maybe. but the way it is built underneath it is too hard to do it any other way - it would be easier to build a new trailer. Its a really strange looking thing - the tray is 4.8m long x 1.8m wide and it only has a single axle. It also has pool fencing at 1.8m high all the way around it so it looks like a circus lions cage :-)
I will post a pic when I get home next week.

The plan was to remove the fencing and replace the single axle with two wider ones to drop the height of the tray down as low as possible, but if I can just add a second axle that would be sooooo much easier.

#14 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

if ay gonna build your own dont go cheap on the materials i hear every one says lighter is better i dont trust the lighter ones coz a few ive borrowed and hired have been half rooted cos the steel is to light weight

You do have to look after the lighter trailers and not overload them which is why the hire places build Sherman tanks, but I'd still say that lighter is better. Last hire trailer I used must have literally weighed the best part of a tonne by itself - there was little difference in feel with a car on it, it was ridiculous! There's no way i would even consider towing that kind of behemoth with the likes of a Commodore or Falcon, it would be downright dangerous, whereas something suitably smaller and lighter could well be safe to.

#15 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

Thats gotta punch a huge hole in the air

Can't say I'm a fan

#16 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

ive managed to obtain the blue prints of the classic hire trailer which is quiet light and a pretty simple plan

in the shoutbox i did mention my welding is alright... me personally i will just be touching the mechanics side of things

i have decided to go with electric brakes... speaking to the boss today his mate lost his porsce 944 race car off the side of roleystone hill because of those dodgy hydraulic brakes...

i have access to boxed steel which is what my trailer will consist off...

too keep weight down i will not be using a sold floor instead a ribbed type of floor as they can be useful for strapping down as well as working on whilst on the trailer

a mate of mine is going to give me his old tractor trailer so i can base it off that

#17 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

That trailer is bloody tall, i always thought it was better to get the load as low as possible

#18 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Posted Image

is that driving over an artificial hill?
R

Try this.
R

http://www.nevco.com.au/nevco/productDetails.php?productId=1

#19 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

Ryan's style of trailer has some advantages (like a lot of space to store shit - a full set of wheels will easily fit under the car - also very good for ground clearance i.e. lowered cars don't have to drive over as much of a peak, and there are other designs that don't have that peak at all! Very easy to load etc) but it definitely has disadvantages too. In my opinion it isn't ideal because the C.O.G. is high, frontal area is huge, extra material means extra weight and more rolling resistance, but if it was behind some kind of enclosed truck where the extra drag wasn't a big deal, it would be a pretty nice setup.

#20 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

You will need 3k just in materials dont kid your self leave it to the pros after all you could kill someone if not built right.
And you say your mate builds patios god help us all.

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Did you word that that negatively because it's Josh?
Or because he's young?
Or just because that is what you genuinely believe? And you would recommend that to anyone?

If I asked the same question as Josh asked in this thread, and you gave me that response. I would be very unhappy.

Edited by Heath, 02 July 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#22 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

If I was wanting to build one, I'd beg, borrow or steal one for the weekend and take all the measurements of everything or, if you can get one for longer would be better. You can just reverse engineer/copy the loaner trailer. The welding only has to meet the Australian standard/structural requirement. That's not hard to get passed. But your are still gonna have to get it signed off by an engineer.

#23 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Yeah i can't see how a trailer wouldn't need engineering approval. I would have no probs building a car trailer as the GF's old man is a Metal Fabricator, but in the end you wouldn't really save THAT much and may as well buy something already built and if something goes wrong its on there shoulders not yours.

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Can't really see a trailer needing engineers, A; it is not driven, it is towed and B; it has no passengers, so long as the ADR's are met for rego, the onus is on you to have it fit for use.

#25 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

Wont need engineers, will need blue slip.

Edited by mitchg, 02 July 2010 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users