The Car Trailer.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#26 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

Well if the home-made trailer doesn't need engineering approval, why does a towbar need approval?

#27 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Same reason a roll cage does, it is fitted to a passenger car.

#28 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Are truck trailers and bogies the same?

#29 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

Are truck trailers and bogies the same?

No, a truck trailer can either be single axle or bogie.

#30 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Nah, that's not what I mean. Is it because of their size and weight that they need to be engineer approved and not car trailers because they are for light vehicles.

#31 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

they dont need to be engineered just need to be checked over at the pits...

once i have time and more money i will start to build this but the torana needs to be finished the ute needs to get the 5litre and the shed needs an extension before all this happens
they need to be built to ADR Requirements i'm basically making a replica of another trailer

ie lights in properly fitted posistion... good structure decent axles brakes blah blah blah

and as a requirement you need to have it weight tested and stamped with the TARE weight

Edited by gen3torrie, 02 July 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#32 SS hatch

SS hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Ok Ive sat on the side for a while.But this one needs attention.
Mr gen3 first stop for you is the transport buiding ask for the current design and construction requirements for trailers in WA.
Now excuss me as I havent made one in Wa but made a few plus a covered one for my hatchback in Rocky QLD 1996 to be towed behind my bus. I now reside in Kalgoorlie.

Mr gen3 making a structual car transporter envolves prior planning. Once you have read WA requirements you will understand its not just a matter of getting a caravan frame and presto. Stear clear of this idea. Some requirements need to take into consideration trailer hitch rating, length, width, clearance markers, lighting, Draw bar position, length.
Axel placement from centre of trailer for good towing, there is a rule of thumb every foot of length set 1/2 inch back from centre.

Even the way you position structual floor beams to reduce sag from carring weight after continual use. Brake away chains and size.
Brakes - electric require a a separte system another battery on trailer to activate brakes in the unfortuate event of trailer leaves vehicle.
Other words trailer brakes apply when trailer goes for ride by its self.

And all this cost losta money My enclosed carter back then cost roughly three grand not incuding my labour and consumables.And yes it would be nice to know that the car trailer traviling down the TONKIN beside my pride and joy has been welded together by a competant welder its one thing to do panels and another when it comes to structual strength.

Well thats my 2cents worth more like 5cents come in hard on me first post. Down the track I will post picts of my SS 6th and final rebuid only had her for a short time 27years.

#33 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

Well, that being said...... I'd buy one or rent one when I needed it :)

#34 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

Did you word that that negatively because it's Josh?
Or because he's young?
Or just because that is what you genuinely believe? And you would recommend that to anyone?

If I asked the same question as Josh asked in this thread, and you gave me that response. I would be very unhappy.

Heath its all about safety mate not having a dig at josh read ss hatch post above thats what its about G.

#35 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

if ay gonna build your own dont go cheap on the materials i hear every one says lighter is better i dont trust the lighter ones coz a few ive borrowed and hired have been half rooted cos the steel is to light weight

You do have to look after the lighter trailers and not overload them which is why the hire places build Sherman tanks, but I'd still say that lighter is better. Last hire trailer I used must have literally weighed the best part of a tonne by itself - there was little difference in feel with a car on it, it was ridiculous! There's no way i would even consider towing that kind of behemoth with the likes of a Commodore or Falcon, it would be downright dangerous, whereas something suitably smaller and lighter could well be safe to.

reason why i jumped on that one is ive hired a few trailers and had them bust and one even buckle cant ever see this one having anything like that happening
also being that high up you do notice it if you go over a 100 ks but personally i dont really go that fast towing
apart from that it tows realy well im gonna put some tool boxes under those cut outs put tarps jacks ect also all my tie downs chains ect

fuel economy with stato towing a torry is not to bad dont even use a full tank to heathcote and back

#36 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

Heath its all about safety mate not having a dig at josh read ss hatch post above thats what its about G.

I've met plenty of people who have built their own car trailers in their backyards, had them registered in Victoria, everything legitimate, and none of them have needed to spend over $2000 on materials. That would cover a welding course at TAFE as well if you needed it.

If everyone had the same attitude you had in that first post, nothing innovative would ever be thought up or constructed.

#37 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

Take a wander around the car park on a club track day.
You will see so many different configurations of car trailer that all seem to be "doing the job".
You'll get some great ideas to suit your needs.
It's almost as interesting as looking at the cars. :blink2:

But, as mentioned above, make sure it's legal to avoid any dramas.

#38 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

Just a small point,which wont matter to Josh,but the cost of mild steel has amost doubled in 18 months.

I cant see you putting one together using new components for 2 grand or less,especially if you decide to fit

electric brakes,.Sorry.

#39 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

the cost of mild steel has amost doubled in 18 months.

That's interesting.
I took a trailer load of steel to the scrappy 3 years (or so) ago and came out with about $60
Most of it was panel steel, a radiator and a battery.

Then, 12 months ago I went again with more panel steel and a battery.
They paid me for the battery and that was it.

They have a sign out the front saying they'll take this, that and the other metal but no mention of steel.
The tip will take the steel with no charge.

#40 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

It dropped in price for a while,but its gone way up again.

Find another scrappy.An aquaintance of mine drove a buggered XD wagon to the scrappys round here and walked home with $280.

#41 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:51 AM

It dropped in price for a while,but its gone way up again.

Find another scrappy.An aquaintance of mine drove a buggered XD wagon to the scrappys round here and walked home with $280.

Gee $280 for a XD wagon , mustof had 12 months rego and new tyres :)

#42 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:24 AM

Get one of them trailer things with the tilt tray, twin wheeled single axle under the tray section, and join it up to the FRONT SECTION OF A TRUCK!

What are they called again?

Oh yeah- TOWTRUCK

(I really don't like car trailers anymore...) Attached File  10-01-04_12-33-46.jpg   5.24K   100 downloads

#43 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

If everyone had the same attitude you had in that first post, nothing innovative would ever be thought up or constructed.

I agree that being able to DIY is a great thing and it shouldn't be actively discouraged, but I know I am always wary of posting recommendations on public forums where safety issues may arise. Its very difficult to check out exactly what is being proposed even let alone have any assurance that it will be done right, so its best to err on the safe side. The guys who are really switched on and involved with the innovations you speak of will take the info in and put it together with other research and knowledge to make it happen. Whereas the ones with less experience get the message about safety and will (hopefully) at least consult with an expert in person before undertaking the project, if not discover that they need partial assistance or to farm the job out completely (which can often be cost saving).

the cost of mild steel has almost doubled in 18 months.

Scrap value here is through the roof, heaps of cars are being carted off to the scrap dealers, some with the paddock grass still hanging out the rust holes!

#44 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

Just started building ANOTHER car trailer here, will definitely be out of it for 1.5k +rego (so about 2k all up)
add another $200 or so if you want to run a winch.

over-rider brakes are 100% fine, no need for electric unless you are planning on towing it on a daily basis.

You want the load as low as possible, and the trailer as light as possible. you dont want too much ball weight so have the car sit resonably centred over the axles.

ohh and fit light truck tyres. they make life alot easier and are higher load rated.

all the lights etc are cheap as chips (try boat shops for tailights and number plate lights, 100% waterproof)

DONT panel the floor completely, only panel where the wheels will go, otherwise you are just making it unnecessarily heavy.

#45 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

finally someone who agrees with me thats exactly what i want to do its not getting towed on a regular basis...
but i am still going to go electric brakes...

i dont need breakaway brakes its not a truck

and it'll do probably 4-5 runs a year and when-ever i lend it to mates

#46 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

So when you lend it to ur mates will they have all the electrical gear in there cars to run the elec brakes?

#47 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

For 4-5 times a year you're better off hiring one....

I've thought of getting one but thinking of the space it would take up plus the cost involved I can't justify it.

#48 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Will your mates repair the damage when they borrow it, because it will get damaged. Just something to think of.

#49 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

most of my mates are trustworthy i borrow there stuff ie trailers tools, sheds hoists lol

and they borrow my stuff ie trailer, tractor lots of things and its never come back broken

but when i lend it to family the drawbar comes back bent

#50 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

Lots of procrastination going on here, when is work going due to commence? Could have built 2 whilst talking about it.

Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users