76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

I dont know if the steering arms are LH or UC ?
This is the view with the car sitting level. the steering rack arms look to be sitting level, If I fit the A9X steering arms will this drop the steering rack arms and put a stop to the bump steer problem ?

That is exactly the idea, getting the tie rod ends a bit lower will allow you to add the necessary caster without causing more bump steer issues. edit: just to be clear, to minimise (very hard to eliminate) bump steer, you aim to have the tie rod follow the suspension travel as closely as possible so it doesn't push or pull excessively at any point in the travel

Its always hard to tell from photos but I wouldn't be surprised if those were UC arms already. I've been wrong before though!

Edited by 76lxhatch, 17 July 2010 - 11:06 PM.

#27 _col_

_col_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for all the info Ive learnt alot about steering ,Brakes and Caster settings. I will buy the A9X steering arms and hopefully that will sort out the Bump steer problem,Its no good how it is so its worth a go.
When I get them in I'LL let you know how it went.
Thanks again Col

#28 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

Good luck, just remember that its still going to want to tramline with the wide tyres and negative caster alignment settings so you'll want to at least slightly tweak that

#29 _col_

_col_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yeah I will Try +1 deg caster after Fitting the A9X steering Arms and Fingers x It will be alot better.
Thanks Heeps Col.

#30 _col_

_col_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:16 AM

Thanks 76 LXhatch. The a9x steering arms and .30deg caster setting has fixed the bump steer,but it does tram track alittle when in the truck grooves on the road.but I can still drive one handed with my arm on the window sill.Thanks again
Col

#31 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Posted Image
like the great man aye??

#32 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

Good to hear you got it sorted. The tramlining issue will improve if you can add some more positive caster, at the expense of heavier steering.

#33 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

Also abit off subject, but have you seen front sway bars set up like this before? Iam told it was a mod they did in the late 70's

Answer to an old question. Your front swaybar is a Whiteline/Shelby BHF35 front mount, they are still available. The K-MAC front mount adjustable swaybar was used on may Bathurst race cars.

K-MAC Front Mount "BATHURST" design swaybar. The mounts on the body are different to the ones used at Bathurst.
Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 10 December 2010 - 10:58 AM.

#34 _col_

_col_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info on the swaybar Andy.

#35 _col_

_col_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

Good to hear you got it sorted. The tramlining issue will improve if you can add some more positive caster, at the expense of heavier steering.

Cheers mate I will at the next wheel alignment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users