#26 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hey Makka, No mate, tyres didnt change! (Appart from a loss of alot of tread heheh)

Cheers!

#27 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hey Guys!

Just a quick not for all those who helped me!

I Adjusted the shocks today.. making them alot more firm ( tight less about 3/4 of a turn on the Koni Adjustables).

The difference it made was noticable! On the one Errr.. Road test i did it still hopped SLIGHTLY but nothing to be concerned about. Further testing is required :spoton:

I had a good look underneath and i didnt see any SIGNS of movement in the diff.. the bushes all looked good, but i was reccomended a check over by pedders suspension as apparently they know their stuff! So that is on the cards too.

But Ive got some problems elsewehre ive gotto sort out now..
I'm planning on new tyres all round because i think these are no longer round! I;ve got a sidways shake at low speeds ( idle speeds) and I'm stuffed if i know why!

SO.. the plans are:

Tyres all round, checking balance etc to see if i can uncover the problem, Then i'm going to re-do all the ball joints/tie rod ends and check all the bushes in the front of the car.

See wehre we go from there!

Thanks again for all the advise, Hopefully were tracking these problems down!
Tiny.

#28 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:56 PM

Might be an idea if i upgrade my shocks to somthing better than a pair of 90$ munro gassies, im getting really bad axle tramp again after a "road test" the other day. I think the clutch shudder + stuffed diff center + crappy shocks is all helping to cause my axle tramp. New 3.55 lsd on its way and hopefully a celica 5 speed kit all going well which ill fit in the next few weeks, ill let you know if my problems go away and what fixed the problem (if it fix's it, not the reason im replacing these parts tho).

#29 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

Many years ago, I knew of a 350 HQ coup that tore the rear top arm mounting points out of the floor pan!!!!

Guy got the shits with the axle tramp and just hammered it. Was an expensive repair.

All my axle tramp was with coil springs, is there a connection. Does the suspension 4 arm setup lend itself to these problem??

Surely someone involved with drag racing will have had experiance with this.

If all else is healthy, it might be a thing to do with the tuning of the pring to shocker characteristic.

PS. Normal adjustable KONI shocks only adjust the rebound (extension of the shock)

I have heard about a race car where the owner adjusted the Koni's to maximum stiffness and had problems with tyre clearance after a couple of laps.
The shockers were not allowing the car to rise after numerous cornering.
Apparently the supplier was in the pits to sort out the problem and when the car came in you could watch it rise as it stood still.

Interesting??

#30 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:44 PM

Never run Konis full hard or full soft..must be at least 1/2 click from maximum of either end.. Its not working otherwise..you locked it out.
R

#31 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:15 PM

Jabba: Good Luck man! it all works together and makes a big difference. I found the diff hop happened ONLY on loss of traction situations which led me to belive it was something to do with the suspension. and the shock dampening was a culprite!

Baron: Great info that! Thank you! Yep What you mentioned is wxactly what i was afraid was happening to mine! ( tearing out the mounts). but when i took a look there was NO evidence of that at all! Thats why i tried the shocker trick ( cheap too heheh!) and it made a huge difference!
Thanks for the tip about how the koni's work too! I figured you could only alter one valve the way theyre designed, but i wasnt going to spend mega bucks for a more "tunable" system as i dont think i need it ( I'm not that serious!).

Thanks for that tip Rory! I didnt know that! Glad i got lucky and went for 3/4 of a turn from full! heheh!

Thanks for that info guys, your all a wealth of information! I'll keep you updated with any other progress :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users