Photo

What Car

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

From memory the one I'm thinking of is blown. Steve, keep in mind that I was six months old when that magazine came out, so if I did see it, I don't remember it.

:D :D :D :D if you did see it (even at six months old) you would remember it :D :D :D the ute was and hopefully still is one of the most perfect pieces of automotive art ever built :spoton:

pity the car doesnt look like that anymore!

#27 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

pity the car doesnt look like that anymore!

Do you know what has happened to it? last I heard Ron Barclay had bought it back and still has it. I remember it being for sale in about 1993/4 , he had trouble selling it , I remember seeing it in a performance car sales lot on Sydney rd in Melbourne for $17999 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: WTF I didn't buy it is still a mystery to me.

does anyone know whats happened to it?

#28 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

i see it every so often around sth east suburbs of melb.
i have even had a close look at it while he parks it at Bunnings of all places!!
its definately not the car it once was. still has the same number plates and billet wheel caps. didnt see under bonnet. the car just looked dirty and like it wasnt looked after.
considering the awards the car has won, i couldnt believe it was parked in a shopping centre car park.

MYLJ, how long ago did Ron buy it back? last time i saw it might be around a year ago.

Edited by RTS Guy, 27 April 2006 - 10:58 AM.

#29 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

MYLJ, how long ago did Ron buy it back? last time i saw it might be around a year ago.

I thought it was a couple of years back, he may have re-sold it, or maybe he uses it as his work hack now :spit: he had a hotrod in the top 60 at the summernats a year or 2 ago from memory.

#30 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

I thought it was a couple of years back, he may have re-sold it, or maybe he uses it as his work hack now :spit: he had a hotrod in the top 60 at the summernats a year or 2 ago from memory.

Rons hotrod made top 60 at last years summernats.
another typical car of Rons. very nice.

#31 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

Never seen the thing before in my life.

Engine bay looks pretty immaculate as does the rest of the vehicle, but I must admit it isn't exactly what I was expecting.

I think seeing that baby in the flesh may impact me a lot more.

#32 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

Its the wheels Heath, from a different period of history, thats why it doesn't appeal to you. Thats what I don't like anyway, otherwise a very nice piece of work. And like you guys said, probably ground breaking for its day.

Peace,

#33 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

I'm a major sucker for 2 doors. So my idea of a street machine is Monaros, the Falcon 2 doors, A9X hatch and Xu-1/GTR's. I'm not the biggest fan of the HQ, etc.. monaro, but with the right stance and paint they look awsome, the best example I can think of is that guy(cant remember the name) who runs in targa etc. with the orange monaro.

#34 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

Rons hotrod made top 60 at last years summernats.
another typical car of Rons. very nice.

Just spoke to Ron he did not buy it back at any stage , he believes the car is in Frankston Victoria, but if the price was right he may consider buying it back

#35 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

The fact that he would consider buying it back is testiment to the quality of the original project.

#36 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

Just spoke to Ron he did not buy it back at any stage , he believes the car is in Frankston Victoria, but if the price was right he may consider buying it back

thanks for clearing that up Les :spoton: , wonder what the "right price" would be?

#37 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

the best example I can think of is that guy(cant remember the name) who runs in targa etc.  with the orange monaro.

You said it, That thing is mad. I've seen it a few times, Doing about 60kph up the road and lumping over like crazy, Then out the road further while watching targa tasmania I seen it doin bout 60kph sideways around a tight bend bakin' em with smoke peelin off the tyres, mmmmm Love that sound, Love that smell, Love that car.....

Back to the original question, I'm an LC/J guy, But gotta go with a FAT SLR, Big Wheel, Big Motor, Big tank.... Thats Tough.

Cheers

Les

Edited by mrlctorana, 27 April 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#38 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:18 PM

I agree, a vehicle a bit like CTC's red L34 or Glenn's UltraBlue A9X.

Wide Simmons wheels and flares that surround them finishing the car off with a perfect stance. The tank adds some "tough"ness to it, often accompanied by some big brakes, and a loud exhaust coming from a big motor :)

#39 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

Hmmm, EFIJY is nice, but that wont see a road or a track, to me a Valiant Charger would be nice, or a nice EH... Not to mention a Blown XA coupe pwahh, those are nice...

#40 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

THe Orange monaro is owned by Steve Coad... and that this is simply Out of this world!!

As a HQ man that really gets me going its a wild wild machine!
Its basically a V8 supercar under a HQ body... but who cares... it looks/sounds/goes/handles/stops like nothing youve seen before... Hope i get to see it in the flesh one day!!

Cheers!

#41 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

Anyone got some mad pics of said Orange Monaro? I like the idea of new tech in old cars =D

#42 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:37 PM

Try these as i believe this is the Orange Monaro they are talking about.

Orange Monaro

Orange Monaro 1

#43 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

I remember reading an article on it maybe a year or so back, pretty sure it was street machine. Some very good work gone into that vehicle.

#44 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

i reckon what Tiny or Struggler has in their avatars sums it up pretty well.

And Cane It: Thanks mate :) Proud to have my car spoken of like that! :spoton:

Likewise, Thanks !!!!!!!!

#45 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

Thats the Monaro.. Notice the fuel tank.. Just a bit of Trivia....

That tank was fabricted by Brown Davis in Melbourne ( I got my tank made by them while they were making that piece of art!!) And its been designed to act as an aerofoil, Its actually an upside down wing to help give the car some downforce at speed without tacking on a stupid looking rice wing! ( Dont think he was allwed to by the rules of the class!)....

Pretty amazing and alot of very smart thinking in that car!

Cheers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users