93 replies to this topic

#51 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

Datto:I've got the same ford m/cyl on my lc...would it be ok to use on my car.Vs ute rear disc/calipers & twin piston mustang or covette calipers on the front? Haven't got the remote boosters yet.

Are there specs anywhere to find out just what the pedal ratio is on an lc/j?

#52 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

Not a fan of that master personally

Go measure the pedal...... use a stick... with numbers on it :)

#53 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

Got some 5040's for 500 hundred each delivered rrp 619 but can't find any 4020's any idea wher to get them?
remember reading somewhere that you need to show vehicle details for these as only came out on vn ss?
Also tried to find som replacement hand brake shoes for vc - vs commodore you would think easy but drove aroud town for 1/2 a day WTF. got some eventually, but just easier to order shit off evilbay and that is saying something.

#54 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

4020 is common as muck
They should be gettable fairly easy
Or just use 020's.... I doubt you will need to really go to 4000 series on the back

Sounds like you need a better supplier though

#55 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

AP Callipers and Ferodo pads rocked up today. Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
Callipers are bigger and lighter than i expected actually. The pads are almost heavier than the callipers.

I assumed the callipers would come with some sort of basic mounting bracket assembly that I would have to modify, but no. I assume it will be too hard and heavy to make a suitable right angle bracket myself? Am i best off buying the AP brackets then making my own adapter brackets out of flat bar/plate? Is standard mild steel ok or do I need something with a little more strength like 350-400Mpa. Also would 10mm thickness be ok? Is there anyting else I will need to order?

Datto have you got any pics or dimensions of right angle brackets to start me off?

At this rate I will have to knock off another bank before I'm finished the build haha.Posted Image

Want to have it back on the road before the end of the year, so I'll have to start a build thread sometime, might try later tonight if i get time.

#56 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

Sounds like you need a better supplier though

That would be nice but this is Darwin, we only got color TV here last year - seriously

#57 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Make your own brackets
Radially mounted calipers make life so much easier
There isn't one that you can buy that will even be close.
They are just a piece of angle looking... sometime steel (10mm thick)
Or 6061T6 alloy

The trick is making it clear all the bits... control arms... steering... stubs
Heres some on a Torana already..... he made his own brackets - alloy blocks (330mm rotor)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

Make your own brackets
Radially mounted calipers make life so much easier
There isn't one that you can buy that will even be close.
They are just a piece of angle looking... sometime steel (10mm thick)
Or 6061T6 alloy

The trick is making it clear all the bits... control arms... steering... stubs
Heres some on a Torana already..... he made his own brackets - alloy blocks (330mm rotor)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Would these AP's be any good for 328mm dba 5046?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AP-Racing-CP5200-4-pot-brake-calipers-rally-race-/220693772520?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33625fb8e8
It lists the largest disc size as 305's

#59 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ask him what the last digits are after CP5200

I think you'll find they might suit a min 305 not max

I would use them on a 5048 disc... since its 32mm......... not a 5046 (28mm) and are the same price (I think)

Same pad as the 5200's already discussed here ... just wider

#60 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Yeah had a bit of a surf around the net last night and after seeing a few brackets they don't look that hard. Just waiting for the conversion hubs and discs to rock up, then i might try and knock up a bracket out of wood using the router.

Some examples of AP Kit Brackets
Posted Image

...And example bracket
Posted Image

Posted Image

Datto, checked out the 6160-6T Alloy looks like the go, 310 Mpa Tensile and 280 Mpa Yeild Strength. Also not that expensive even in Darwin as a metre length of 2 inch solid stock is around $70. smaller stock is available but then minimum buy is 4-6m.

My preference would be to use high tensile bolts with nyloc nuts, but if there is no room is it ok to drill and tap directly into the alloy? I have seen this done before but would be less confident with this setup.

Any chance anyone knows what alloy the actual callipers are made out of?

Also do you have to worry about surface hardening or embrittlement issues when you work the alloy with grinder/die grinder? Amy isues with surface contamination similar to using a mild steel electric brush to clean up stainless?

#61 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

You can drill and tap straight into the 6061
If your not 100% confident you can put a steel thread insert into it aswell
Just keep it clean and it should all be fine..... you shouldn't need to do much grinder clean up anyway

I use caphead screws for fastening...nice 12.9 grade I think they are

#62 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

Still have not been able to find any DBA4020SL and DBA4020SR Discs. Tried Repco, supercheap, independant, competion friction, V sport but they all say that DBA don't make these any more. My only chance is to find somewhere with a set in stock. Can anyone help me out here?Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Orderd my conversion hubs and nisan callipers almost 2 weeks ago, the same day as the AP callipers, AP's turned up 3 days later still waiting on everything else.

#63 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

I'm on the trail of some discs for you

Will advise when I find something

#64 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Contact DBA and see if they can tell you retailers in your area who have ordered them recently.

#65 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

DBA warehouse in Perth has 2 only DBA020

RDA has plain and slotted in their own brand

The DBA ones of course could be slotted for extra cash

#66 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

I may be being over cautious but I don't think using nylocs around brakes is a great idea, I would think the brakes would get hot enough to meld the nylon. Maybe use conelocks or equivilant.

Edited by Peter UC, 16 November 2010 - 12:10 PM.

#67 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

Thanks Datto
even though they are on the back i still would have prefered the 4000 series, but looks i may have to settle for standard ones.

Peter

Valid point i guess. Initially i was thinking of drilling and tapping the alloy bracket then adding a lock nut to the back, that way if the thread stripped it would have to pull the nut through the bracket or crack before it failled completely. However since looking at various sets of callipers i have lying around most of the alloy ones are just tapped as datto pointed out. The R32 rear callipers that turned up today have a steel thread insert in the alloy callipers themselves.

Conversion hubs also arrived today and are pretty heavy duty. The bearing carrier is 1/2" thick, is this fairly standard? At least the studs are threaded not welded to comply with the RTA.

The hubs had been in Darwin since early last week but Toll being the useless frockers they are were too lazy to deliver it. I'm pretty sure they must stpulate on their employment form "If you can't count you IQ on your fingers, you need not apply". It may just be the Darwin branch but every single thing I have recieved from them has been damaged beyond repair or excessively late.

#68 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Datto
even though they are on the back i still would have prefered the 4000 series, but looks i may have to settle for standard ones.

Peter

Valid point i guess. Initially i was thinking of drilling and tapping the alloy bracket then adding a lock nut to the back, that way if the thread stripped it would have to pull the nut through the bracket or crack before it failled completely. However since looking at various sets of callipers i have lying around most of the alloy ones are just tapped as datto pointed out. The R32 rear callipers that turned up today have a steel thread insert in the alloy callipers themselves.

Conversion hubs also arrived today and are pretty heavy duty. The bearing carrier is 1/2" thick, is this fairly standard? At least the studs are threaded not welded to comply with the RTA.

The hubs had been in Darwin since early last week but Toll being the useless frockers they are were too lazy to deliver it. I'm pretty sure they must stpulate on their employment form "If you can't count you IQ on your fingers, you need not apply". It may just be the Darwin branch but every single thing I have recieved from them has been damaged beyond repair or excessively late.

If in doubt use 4140 or 4340 steel for your brackts I would say. I used this stuff (4340)to make my front top suspension shaft/mounts. Different application but she aint going no where. Hard shit to machine but go steady and you will get there.
Im keeping an eye on this thread as I want to do similar to my LJ and go to a Commodore stud pattern. I was going to go Willwood calipers as they are apparently cheaper, not as good as AP but good enoughfor my application.
Good job mate, keep the pics comming

Edited by Bart, 17 November 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#69 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:44 AM

Oh... and that last pair of 020's
They might be waiting with my name on them :)

#70 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

Im a little behind the ball on this stuff, but what are VT hub adapters??
Is this what you guys are talking about? (In the web page) I think the VB-VP discs fit LJ/LH/HQ stubs there fore these hubs (In the web page) should fit and are modified to suit VT upgrades. Is this correct or have i got the bull by the balls here?
http://holmart.com.au/online/prod1627.htm

If it was that easy... everyone would do it
However you can use various Commodore rotors depending on what size disc you want... 300 or 330mm are the most common... 28mm thick

As for rears... take a look at antelopes pics... they are almost identical to what would use

What he's got there appear to be DBA5046 (28mm) or maybe 5048 (32mm) rotors for front and CP5700 style 6 piston calipers calipers with a fabricated hub to mount the disc to the stub
The rears are VT HSV 315mm vented rears with a custom backing plate for handbrake
Looks like it might be a CP5147 series caliper
I'm guessing numbers here but I'm sure antelope will correct me

Pretty close Datto!

Front discs are DBA5046B, 330mm x 28mm. (I purchased the discs from you Neil!)
Front calipers are CP5570.

Rear discs are HSV DBA4049, 315mm x 18mm.
Rear calipers are CP7607
Backing plate is a custom Banksia park brake setup (as used in VT Commodore). It accepts the Torana park brake cable with no mods, direct fitment.

Stub axles are 2" drop stub with VT hub adaptors to accept the front discs. Stub axles also have been drilled to accept Commodore caliper mounting.

#71 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

No worries Bart just learning by doing and asking 101 dumb questions.

Front discs should get here early next week and I ordered the DBA020 slotted for the back from Competion Frictions sister shop ( A sport or V sport or something similar) yeterday.Posted Image

I think i will try the alloy brackets first and just keep a keen eye on them from every now and then. Might get em tested after 10,000km. Can't MPI them, so what method would you use?

I have tried to get a rebuild kit for the Nissan Callipers from my local Nissan dealer but they just use some random CD's from Japan and keep sugesting parts that have nothing to do with what i have asked them. If you can't give them a VIN number then you are stuffed. Only other kits i have found on the web have been full rebuild kits for the front and back. Guess i'll try racebrakes later today.

Been raining like a bitch up here, lying in rocky mud pudles trying to work on the car is not funPosted Image. So yesterday I had to compact all the random junk in the shed and push the EH further in so i could get the LC under cover and actually on some cement. Then not only was it pissing down, it was windy as all hell and the rain was comming in horizontal just to spite me.

Pulled the chasis kit out of the shed and put the LC up on stands. The CRS instructions are pretty terrible, so not 100% sure what they are refering too in some bits.....

To fit rails - scrape all body deadner from under the guards where chassis

must fit. This is most important as any foreign matter here will throw the

whole kit out. If the bottom edge or the stock chassis along where gearbox the crossmember bolts in is bent or out of shape from being jacked up here, or for whatever reason, the body must be reshaped to original or again the kit will not fit properly.
Grind 6mm off where the plate sits up to give extra clearance and for main bolt hole to lineup. -Posted Image What part is this refering to? Is it grind 6mm off the spacer washer on the engine cross member to Chassis rail brace arms (radius arms)? assume this will be replaced with 6mm bracket of the chassis kit???

Posted Image

Grind washers off outside of chassis rail.

Posted Image

Remove the nut from the rear trailing arm and push the bolt in until the end of the thread is just visible.

Posted Image

Fit the chassis rails to the front of the body and fit the bolt that holds the front

radius arm in' If lined up drill through original hole, bolt up and drill others in this area. Do not over tighten

Holding the chassis hard up with jacks fit the rear radius arm bolts with the

machined spacer washers between the rails and brackets, if this bolt doesn�t

line up which it will unless severe body stretching has occurred. This is the

only area to slot hole in chassis kit.
Drill holes up through floor and through rear side body rails. Bolt up fitting the rear tie bar and the two flat drilled plates

on the rear inside floor. Drill the 1/4" holes around the edges of the rail kit and

bolt up using the 1/4" bolts and large flat washers around edges and on inside of

car down the fire wall face.

#72 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

Is this what you guys are talking about? (In the web page) I think the VB-VP discs fit LJ/LH/HQ stubs there fore these hubs (In the web page) should fit and are modified to suit VT upgrades. Is this correct or have i got the bull by the balls here?
http://holmart.com.a...ne/prod1627.htm

However you can use various Commodore rotors depending on what size disc you want... 300 or 330mm are the most common... 28mm thick

As for rears... take a look at antelopes pics... they are almost identical to what would use

What he's got there appear to be DBA5046 (28mm) or maybe 5048 (32mm) rotors for front and CP5700 style 6 piston calipers calipers with a fabricated hub to mount the disc to the stub
The rears are VT HSV 315mm vented rears with a custom backing plate for handbrake

Pretty close Datto!

Rear calipers are CP7607
Backing plate is a custom Banksia park brake setup (as used in VT Commodore). It accepts the Torana park brake cable with no mods, direct fitment.

Stub axles are 2" drop stub with VT hub adaptors to accept the front discs. Stub axles also have been drilled to accept Commodore caliper mounting.

Bart
I brought similar hubs to the ones you linked, the ones i brought are made out of a better grade of steel K1045 for $350 a pair includes wheel bearings off evilbay = mr spares

http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

antelopes are 2inch drop stubs which change the ride height and have the conversion hub also.

#73 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

Is there an aluminium hub alternative? I know Willwood make aluminium ones for some GM cars. I wonder if anyone makes aluminium hubs for Vauxal Monza?

http://holmart.com.a...ne/prod1627.htm

Pretty close Datto!

Rear calipers are CP7607

Bart
I brought similar hubs to the ones you linked, the ones i brought are made out of a better grade of steel K1045 for $350 a pair includes wheel bearings off evilbay = mr spares

http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

antelopes are 2inch drop stubs which change the ride height and have the conversion hub also.

#74 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

I thought you said there weren't any 020's around

Cept the ones I have here

#75 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

I thought you said there weren't any 020's around

Cept the ones I have here

Datto

I meant no 4020's as in the heat treated version 4000 series. Sorry for the confusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users