• Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

Guess I'll keep this pair for myself now then

#77 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Datto
even though they are on the back i still would have prefered the 4000 series, but looks i may have to settle for standard ones.

Peter

The hubs had been in Darwin since early last week but Toll being the useless frockers they are were too lazy to deliver it. I'm pretty sure they must stpulate on their employment form "If you can't count you IQ on your fingers, you need not apply". It may just be the Darwin branch but every single thing I have recieved from them has been damaged beyond repair or excessively late.

he he
not just darwin
worked at one of thier wharehouses for a month
Posted Image
lets just say they have nfi

#78 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

Guess I'll keep this pair for myself now then

Hey Datto your doing my head in with these criptic mesages.

Did you already buy them to sell to me and don't need them? Is so I'll take them too and put them on the back of my ute
or do you actually want a set?

Confucius says: Mass confusion???Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Quagmire - totally agree with the NFI statement

#79 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

You said there weren't any about
I found some plain ones
I bought them incase you needed them
Seems you don't... so I'll keep them for myself
Nothing cryptic there

4000's are an overkill for the rear... but its your money

#80 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

My appologies again Datto and thanks for the help to date.

As stated above I need some for the ute anyway so if you are not going to use them I will buy them. PM me the price + freight to 0812 Darwin NT and you bank details and i'll fire some money your way.

#81 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:30 AM

Any progress? Pics?

My appologies again Datto and thanks for the help to date.

As stated above I need some for the ute anyway so if you are not going to use them I will buy them. PM me the price + freight to 0812 Darwin NT and you bank details and i'll fire some money your way.

#82 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

Hi Bart

Massive progress over the weekend, moved the callipers and pads off the kitchen bench to the garage. Posted Image
Unfortunately no front or rear discs have turned up yet, so can't mock anything up. Also brought a beer fridge and a couple of cartons of liquid motivation for when they arrive.
Was going to have a crack at the chassis kit tonight but it just started pissing down with rain so maybe not.

#83 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

As long as the beer fridge is operational, you'll be fine.

#84 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

As long as the beer fridge is operational, you'll be fine.

Thats a good point

#85 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Quick update.......Still no discs yet but recieved flexible Turbo 400 dipstick and R32 Caliper rebuild kits.

Removed Radius Rod bolts, ground washer off chassis rail and straightened a small section of the original pasangers side Chassis rail ready for the chassis kit.
Posted Image

Haven't started on Drivers side yet but noticed the rail was chockers with dirt and has rusted through where in comes up near the firewall.
Posted Image

Also noticed that one of the brake lines has been squashed where it crosses under the rail. I wil have to reroute all the brake lines, brake vacume lines and fuel lines as they run along the drivers rail. Previous owner has also run the lines directly above the top arm for the diff and will get damaged if the diff bottoms out.
Posted Image

Other dodgy modifications by previous owner include butchering the trans tunnel where the handbrake cable goes through. he also used u bolts to connect the handbrake cable so the first time it was used it pulled out. I have herd a comodore wagon handbrake cable is able to be used with VR handbrake on a 9in diff with original hand brake lever?
Posted Image

Radius arms have been ground down on the top lip to install the starter motor???? The extractors also sit on top of the radius rods so i was planning on grinding off the lip there too then rewelding and adding a strengthening plate depending on where i have room. Do you guys see any problem in doing this?
Posted Image

I also replaced all the bolts on the pasangers side of the diff with High tensile ones as some were undersized, some missing nuts and others had allen key heads that you cant access unless you unbolt the whole diff from the carPosted Image Had to use vice grips to get them off. The bolts in the coil overs were also too long and could not be tightened sufficiently. All of the bolts in the arms were done up so tight that the inside sleeve of the bush had bound up, so every time the suspension moved up and down it was basically trying to shear the rubber part of the bush off the centre sleeve.

Has bucket seats out of a celica i think and have just been drilled through the floor and bolted with small washers so going to have to fix those too. He also used a block of wood on one side as a spacer under the seat. That is some redneck engineering for ya haha.
Heaps of other dodgy shit too so basically rebuilding the whole car to ensure i don't die on the first outing.
Redneck chopper
Posted Image

Posted Image

#86 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

Still waiting for discs to arrive.......................been a month already, wonder if i'll get them before xmas????

Drank all of the beer and fitted up half of the chassis kit in the meantime, but.......................

#87 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

What's more important, beer or brakes?

#88 _bushi_

_bushi_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

Still waiting for discs to arrive.......................been a month already, wonder if i'll get them before xmas????

Drank all of the beer and fitted up half of the chassis kit in the meantime, but.......................

I have the CRS kit too, but the dam thing comes with 101 bolts to drill extra, so I bolted up all the factory bolt holes in the kit then put welds in the other areas, dint like the idea of drilling an XU1.

#89 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:28 AM

Finally recieved the front discs only yesterday. Packed the new bearings, installed the Commo style hub and disc. Quickily mocked up the calliper. Looks like it will fit with a simple bracket, but haven't checked clearances on full lock yet. Will post up some pics soon.

#90 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:44 AM

Few pics of the calliper mock up:

Original HQ
Posted Image

HQ Rearward shot
Posted Image

Shinny Bits
Posted Image

Install Commodore style hub - The rear dust seal seemed to be rubbing on the stub but good enough to mock up the calliper for now.
Posted Image

Mock up disc and calliper
Posted Image

Mark up wooden block
Posted Image

that's as far as i got, more pics to come

i also dropped into MVR today and was getting some info from one of the senior vehicle inspectors who sits in on the vehicle modification board and i asked if there was any chance of getting approval to fit a LS3 to the LC and he said it was a bit big but if i entered another submission it will probably go through which was surprising.

#91 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

Mate If you're allowed to put an LS3 in the LC Ill be pissed off, not at you but at the cocks in the NSW RTA (Bunch of frOck wits)
Anyhow its looking good mate, are the AP's radial mount?

Few pics of the calliper mock up:

Original HQ
Posted Image

HQ Rearward shot
Posted Image

Shinny Bits
Posted Image

Install Commodore style hub - The rear dust seal seemed to be rubbing on the stub but good enough to mock up the calliper for now.
Posted Image

Mock up disc and calliper
Posted Image

Mark up wooden block
Posted Image

that's as far as i got, more pics to come

i also dropped into MVR today and was getting some info from one of the senior vehicle inspectors who sits in on the vehicle modification board and i asked if there was any chance of getting approval to fit a LS3 to the LC and he said it was a bit big but if i entered another submission it will probably go through which was surprising.

#92 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hi Bart
The MVR's view point changes by the minute and just depends on who you talk to. It also depends largely on the person who does your final inspection.

I initially applied to the MVR for LS2 I think, but might have been an LS1, tubbed with a 9in and i recieved approval in principal. I intended to build my project from scratch, but the right shell didn't come along and so i brought this current project partially completed with the 350 donk. I then had to reapply and the MVR and they said that they would actually prefer either a LS1/LS2 over the 350 as it would have been beter for emmissions control. The guy that i was talking to stated that NCOP are only guidlines and vehicles could be engineered over and above the guidelines. So last week with all that in mind while i was there getting a few clarifications i thought i would be cheeky and try my luck witht the LS3. He made a few comments about checking the weight compared to the original engine and said that i would need a serious brake upgrade. I said that i thought the 202 was about 250kg??? (can anyone confirm) as that is what i read on some forums ages ago but that did sound heavy to me and besides an LS3 is definately going to be lighter that the 350 with the double hump fuelie heads which i currently have approval for. I mentioned that i had AP racing 4 pots for the front and skyline 2 pots for the back and he said there was a good chance i would get that combo through. He did state that it is not guaranteed and you will only find out by entering another submission for approval. So i'll see how we go early next year. What are you trying to register an LS1 or LS2 and is it in a big or small torana?

Another approach would be to state that there are numerous 383 SBC stroker lc/ljs registered (383 in� = 6.27624 L)

If you don't have any success you might try to get it passed under the ICV (Individually Constructed Vehicle) rules - i don't know if this has merrit, but had planned on exploring this more if I didn't like the awnsers i got from te MVR.

At the end of the day it is just another game of cat and mouse, but luckily for me the NT MVR seem a little more relaxed, however i haven't taken the car over for final inspection yet.

Callipers are radial mount 5200 -808 and 809, drawing here:
http://www.apracing..../cp5200_1cd.pdf

#93 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for that, i actually got a twin turbo Nissan V8 in an LJ, but the RTA basically said no to LS1

Hi Bart
The MVR's view point changes by the minute and just depends on who you talk to. It also depends largely on the person who does your final inspection.

I initially applied to the MVR for LS2 I think, but might have been an LS1, tubbed with a 9in and i recieved approval in principal. I intended to build my project from scratch, but the right shell didn't come along and so i brought this current project partially completed with the 350 donk. I then had to reapply and the MVR and they said that they would actually prefer either a LS1/LS2 over the 350 as it would have been beter for emmissions control. The guy that i was talking to stated that NCOP are only guidlines and vehicles could be engineered over and above the guidelines. So last week with all that in mind while i was there getting a few clarifications i thought i would be cheeky and try my luck witht the LS3. He made a few comments about checking the weight compared to the original engine and said that i would need a serious brake upgrade. I said that i thought the 202 was about 250kg??? (can anyone confirm) as that is what i read on some forums ages ago but that did sound heavy to me and besides an LS3 is definately going to be lighter that the 350 with the double hump fuelie heads which i currently have approval for. I mentioned that i had AP racing 4 pots for the front and skyline 2 pots for the back and he said there was a good chance i would get that combo through. He did state that it is not guaranteed and you will only find out by entering another submission for approval. So i'll see how we go early next year. What are you trying to register an LS1 or LS2 and is it in a big or small torana?

Another approach would be to state that there are numerous 383 SBC stroker lc/ljs registered (383 in� = 6.27624 L)

If you don't have any success you might try to get it passed under the ICV (Individually Constructed Vehicle) rules - i don't know if this has merrit, but had planned on exploring this more if I didn't like the awnsers i got from te MVR.

At the end of the day it is just another game of cat and mouse, but luckily for me the NT MVR seem a little more relaxed, however i haven't taken the car over for final inspection yet.

#94 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

Thanks for that, i actually got a twin turbo Nissan V8 in an LJ, but the RTA basically said no to LS1

Hi Bart

Mate that is insane, can't follow their logicon that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users