notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Reverse of username
  • Car:1976 LX L32 SL/R

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

G'day people. This is to become my L32 SL/R resto thread.

Don't expect fast paced action though. I like to take restos slow and achieve my goal in my own time. The outcome..... is always as perfect as the picture I have in my head from day 1.

I'm not new to Torana's. I bought my first in 1991. Then had another 3 before moving up (?) to Commodores in 1994. For the last 10 years I have restoring Minis, the most recent was a 3 year labour of love and regular restoration feature in the international Mini magazine 'The Mini Experience'.

A few YouTube vids of my recent work here.....

Part 1. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=B7FIohASiVk

Part 2. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2z2hF1Y8mxY

Part 3. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=X0I9uhDBEnI

[wish I knew how to embed those in here....]

Anyway, now I have gone back to my roots, and moved back to Torana's. My goal was to find one that matched the last Torana I owned. A manual L32 SL/R. Sadly I bastardised my last one back in 1993.... so now I am making amends and restoring this one back to 100% factory original condition. "Just rolled off the production line" is my thing... I love and appreciate any car in that condition.

Picked it up like this a few months ago. Overall, It's in pretty good condition! Motor is knackered though. Doors rusty. The rest is quite good!

Posted Image

So I stored it for a few months until I was ready to begin work, and today I whipped the cover off, blew out the cobwebs, and had it towed home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I got it home, I decided to give it a blast with the high pressure water cleaner, to get rid of the crud and stink. Whoooops.... i forgot how Torana's love to leak..... there goes the carpet!

Posted Image

So with carpet now in the bin, I decided to sus out what lies ahead.

When I do resto work, I like to tackle small sections at a time, and not move on until that part is finished. To me, the worst part of this car is the front end. Sadly, but I guess to be expected on a car 34 years old, it has had a front ender and sudstandard repair. I want to unstitch the rad support and inner guards, and source decent replacements.

This is why....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks scary huh?!? I'm not afraid though..... I can fix anything, and I LOVE a challange!

Previous owner also left me with this lovely work..... A common repair, but he could have done this a bit neater!

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and for now, that's it.

This thread will no doubt slip down the ladder while I'm doint my thing, but as I complete things I will update it and keep you all informed of progress. One thing I'm certain of, this resto WILL be finished. I'm not a quitter and I can't stand seeing projects being abandoned because someone went too hard too early. Slow and steady is the secret... well for me anyway.

Cheers!

#2 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

awesome!! I like the its only rust/i can fix anything attitude :clap:

Sounds like it's going to be a quality resto. Do you reckon it's had a hit in the front at some stage? In the pic showing the battery tray it looks like the rail is a little kinked? Or bog :o.

Also the 'repairs' behind the bonnet hinges, has that just been cut out and no new steel been welded in?!

#3 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

Yep... both front rails forward of the crossmember are kinked. If I can unstitch the rad support and battery tray, I can get at the rails to give thema bit of heat and massage them straight. I'm sure most people would shy away from that, but as i said, it's a challange and I'm up for it!

Rust behind bonnet hinges was hacked out and not repaired. I just need to weld in patches there, although the messiness of the cut will make it hard to make repair sections.

The car came with a full set of rust free doors, so that is sorted. Rear passenger 1/4 has had a rust repair. I will redo that one a bit neater. Drivers rear 1/4 is mint! Floors, sills, rest of body is mint. Screens are in.... no rust showing "yet" from underneath, but I am scared to remove them!! Most of us know what will be there!

Cheers!

#4 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

A little progress on Project Poopaya this weekend.

Firstly, I spent half the weekend in hospital after having a massive allergic reaction to some prescription medication. That was NOT fun I can tell you. My son was concerned (as you'd expect), so I suggested he help me out a lil and undo some bolts on the front end. I showed him which ones, gave him the spanner and told him which way to turn, and he undid about 4 or 5. A little champ he is!

Posted Image

So with front apron and guards removed, more nasty surprises.

I swear when I look at the front end, the top of the rad support seems lower on the drivers side. Anyone??

Posted Image

And check out this interesting repair for the lower rad support section...... NOT my work I mite add!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

No shortage of work for me on the front end alone. I'm a sucker for punishment.... and after my last resto, I swear I said "NEVER AGAIN!!!!" lol....

#5 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

Good luck with the restoration. The previous owner it seems didn't know what they were doing. I haven't forgotten about the photo of the rear dealer sticker you requested. I think I may have a little time up my sleeve before you really need it!

Cheers,
Phillip

#6 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Nice torana and great work with your mini, very impressive! :spoton:

Good to see your son helping out with your project.

Get well soon and get back into the garage.

Cheers Mick.

#7 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

looks like some fun lay ahead of you there! sounds like you know what youre doing though so should turn out sweet. nice colour too...ill be keeping an eye out for updates on this one.
cheers

#8 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

and after my last resto, I swear I said "NEVER AGAIN!!!!" lol....

Where have i heard that before? :)

#9 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

Will be watching closely mate, Papaya is a great Torana colour !
Good luck with the project.

#10 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

A bit more progress today..... radiator support removal.

Firstly I decided to have the right tools for the job. In the past when drilling out spot welds, I have just drilled right through them with a conventional drill bit. I saw somewhere a spot weld drill bit, and went out this morning in search of one.

Hard to find they are! Ended up buying one of these.... a spot weld cutter.

Posted Image

Before you drill out your spot welds, you have to know where they are. A quick wizz with a hefty wire wheel will remove all the paint and grit that accumulates over the top.

Posted Image

This is what the spot welds look like when cleaned up.

Posted Image

I didn't realise until too late ( I drilled pilot holes), but this niftly spot weld cutter has a spring loaded tip. You pin punch in the centre of the spot weld, and the tip locates in that spot, then retracts as you apply pressure and cut around the spot weld.

Posted Image

Once all the spot welds had been attacked, a little "tap tap" and....

Posted Image

And them some more "tap tap" and a little "jiggle jaggle".... and off she comes.

Posted Image

Next I am going to remove the battery tray and the same panel on the other side of the engine bay, so that I can straighten the chassis rails, which are a little out of shape forward of the crossmember.

Posted Image

I am already ahead of where I wanted to be with this resto..... I was aiming to take this one slow and enjoy every minute of it. I think things will slow a little now while I wait for a NEW radiator support panel to become available. I could repair the old one, but I am a fan of nice, new panels =)

More to come......

#11 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Your front end is almost as bad as mine. I think I can see your innner drivers side guard has a big kink in it at the top where it starts to go vertical. Looks like your front rail has been pushed downwards a little bit. Mine is like this too but on both sides and 10 times a s bad :-(

you can see how far the front end has been pushed down by the kinking on the outside of the guard (the inner guard is just as bad) and how high the rear of the guard has been pushed up. So I feel your pain.

Posted Image

Where'd you buy the spot weld cutter from and how much ?

Edited by niterida, 07 August 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#12 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

That's good spotting! I'm pretty confident i can get this 100% right though.

Your's does look obvious. Mine wasn't as bad as that, but you could still pick it.

Spot weld cutter was $24 and I got it from a tool shop. It is reversible, so when one side is worn out, you screw the cutter off and turn it around. Bunnings, Repco, etc don't seen to carry them. It made the above job VERY easy =)

#13 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

....and a little more today.

Battery tray was a really poor excuse for anything, really. Out it comes.

Posted Image

And with it removed, I can now easily access the chassis rail, and straighten it out. New battery tray will go in afterwards, obviously =)

Posted Image

And that was all I could do today. Probably a good thing that my angle grinder burnt out... lol... because that got me out of the garage!!

Posted Image

#14 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

ooops double post...

Edited by notna, 08 August 2010 - 05:22 PM.

#15 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

if your ever in perth you want to come over and fix mine?
i'll give you as much home brew as you can drink or 20 odd litres whatever comes first
will just need 6 weeks notice lol
nah nice job progressing nicely

#16 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Thats a grouse project you've got there. Good luck with all the repairs. Is that lower radiator support made up out of bog? Be interesting to cut it in half and see whats inside.

#17 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thats a grouse project you've got there.

"grouse".... lol... that's my nickname!

Minor update today.... completed a little bit of chassis rail straightening.

I tackled the passenger side rail first. It was the better of the two. I figured I'd practice on this one before tackling the drivers side, which is a bit nasty IMHO.

BEFORE:

Posted Image

AFTER:

Posted Image

.....and a pic of my garage. Toy #1 on the left (Supercharged Mini Cooper S), Toy #2 on the right (the Rana).

Posted Image

...as always... more to come.

#18 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image

Compared to mine that rail is straight already Posted Image

I've got hold of a straight front cut so I will just replace the whole lot.

Nice work though Posted Image

#19 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

Really? Is yours bent in the same spot?

#20 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Drivers side rail all sorted now. This one was the worst, and came out DAMN GOOD! Very happy indeed! Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Really? Is yours bent in the same spot?

Yeah pretty much - bent down far enough to buckle the middle of both inner and outer guards on both sides :-(
The worse thing is the seller never even mentioned it in the eBay ad or on the phone when I was talking to him direct. grrrrrr.........

#22 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

looks to be coming along really well, im now on the hunt for one of those spot weld unpickers looks to be much neater thats for sure. hope you get that support sorted out without to many drama's !!! oh and the youtube vid's of the mini were really well put together and it came up a treat in the end, well done Posted Image

#23 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Nothing much of interest to post of late, other than this.... me welding... LOL =)

Attached File  72172_453243492490_604512490_5270348_7529455_n.jpg   96.87K   3 downloads

I have a few rust repair sections to weld in next. Ran out of welding gas, but I have since got some gasless MIG wire. Give me gas MIG any day, but if you are only going to grind your welds back afterwards, blobby gasless MIG is fine.

#24 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

great work, been looking to buy a stock lx l32 slr for ages. you dont see them around in standard condition anymore.

#25 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

It looks awesome so far.

Mine's an L32 but just about everything mechanical isn't original.

s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users