Photo

Toranafest 2010

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

What a great weekend, it was my first visit to Toranafest & i must say it was best car show i've attended & i'll be back for Toranafest 2011. Really good to catch up with people i know & meet some new people too, everyone was friendly & genuine & made my family & myself feel welcome. Thoroughly enjoyed the meet & greet bbq on saturday, all in all one of the most relaxing & enjoyable weekends i've had for quite awhile. Had some problems with my car, one that nearly involved having to have it towed back to Sydney before i'd even arrived, but thanks to the help from Tony (tsn007), Howard (litre8), Tiny & Simone & the owner of the green LJ V8 XUI-73B who stopped to offer assistance, i had it back on the road in time for the show. Thanks again everyone for a great weekend. Cheers Matt

#52 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Yella is booked in for it's inspection next Monday (it's a holiday in Canberra) to clear the defect. Yuck, those horrible skiny wheels. I'll take a pic.

Did they only get you for wheels Pat? I think im in for some fun to clear mine :( it says full inspection on it

#53 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

I was in the rego tent giving out the entrant stickers (and prob met most of you guys that were there in the process) and one guy was telling me he got done for tyres and no pollution gear as well.

#54 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

That would have been me but think im just missing the charcoal canister which ill be getting one this week sometime

Edited by SS Hatchback, 21 September 2010 - 08:17 PM.

#55 _WhiteKnight_

_WhiteKnight_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

^^^^^^ They tell me 1of ya got a speeding ticket on yje way to Bathurst is this correct????

cheers Keith

#56 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

Tiny won an award too by the way

#57 _slr253_

_slr253_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

To all of the HVTC guys & gals, sponsors & VIP's, thanks for another superbly run Toranafest. I, once again, had another fantastic time at the best static car show in Austalia! This is my 3rd and it keeps getting better each year so a big 'Thank You' from me.

As for the 'fish', I was asked, by a member from another club, what I thought of the price of the 'motel package' which I replied "It's going to be an expensive weekend for me". I'll qualify that statement by saying that my room mate/co driver told me 3 weeks ago that he would not be going to Toranafest, so I was left to pay for a single accomodation room. What was my option? Cancel Toranafest all together or take the hit and pay extra for my favourite weekend of the year. I chose to pay extra and go to Toranafest!!! It's as simple as that...

As for the other VTC members, please give me time to contact them for their views too. As some people know, we spent most of Saturday arvo/night repairing 2 cars and I know that most of the VTC didn't make it to the BBQ and show. The fact that the black LX 4 door made it to the foreshore and back on Sunday was a miracle in itself.

I'll be back again next year. See ya all there...

Cheers,
Brett

#58 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

I was very pleased to be able to attend the Sat night BBQ despite not staying in the motel. It was a great night, & well done to the HVTC for adding this to the event. Toranafest now really is a weekend event, rather than just a Sunday show. I'll be staying at the motel in 2011.

#59 _slr253_

_slr253_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

Keith, It's amazing that a Torana running on 7 cylinders can actually get speeding tickets...

#60 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

I heard Tiny�s award being announced!

Congrats to Rob for his efforts in everything he does! Definitely an asset to the torana community as a whole!

I thought Id also mention our interesting run home....

While trying to load the purple racecar on the trailer I completely forgot about the vinyl socks over the ram tubes and subqequently wondered why it wouldn�t start..... The cheapo battery died in the arse before I realised what was up (it was a long day)

So the bad trip home started with pushing it onto the trailer (with some help from HVTC members! Thanks guys!)

Then we headed off.

I was driving my LJ, mum was driving Rays XU-1 and ray was towing the trailer with the purple one home.

We were just coming through Gateshead, past the speed camera, and I decided to give the torry a bit of a clear out, started to slow down for the lights and all of a sudden the throttle got all fluffy, pulled up and it stalled in the middle lane.

I tried to kick it in the guts once, then all of a sudden mum (behind me) is honking the horn and her and Karlie are trying to get out of the car and are yelling something. It was pretty priceless to see them both try to lean forwards in non retractable seat belts that flung them straight back! Haha.

But I got out to start pushing into the side street (the toyota dealer intersection with the funky chook) and I hear �FIRE!�

Turns out when I kicked it over the exhaust blew out a 3ftx3ft fire ball out the exhaust! And the tailpipe was still on fire!

So I got down and blew it out, saved the day there! :P

So we pushed it round the corner and set to work sorting out what was wrong.

Off with the filter socks, off with the regulator, test the fuel pump is pumping etc etc.

Turns out it was the ignition wire to the coil that had falled off, the slight contact was keeping it running and the fireball was effectively a massive keybanger of raw fuel!

A bloke drove past with an excel on a trailer (rally car) and slowed, then ket driving to an ultratune about 1k down the road. He then walked all the way back to offer their workshop, tools, his car and trailer, his help and even a secure workshop to lock it in for the night.

His name was Aaron from Ultratune Gateshead. I sent off an email yesterday to his boss to applaud his actions and let him know what a stand up bloke he has working for him. Really restores some faith in people.

We got it going in the end and thanked him for his offers. (we were there for about 45 minutes frOcking around)

Ran fine the whole way home after that!

#61 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

Tiny won an award too by the way

A well deserved one too, the WSID forum drag day is just one of the great things he does for this forum. The time & effort he puts into this day alone is reflective of his overall dedication to this community. Well done Tiny Posted Image

#62 bluea9x

bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:King Loz
  • Car:1976 L31 SS

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Sorry for the delay I've been meaning to post this, got caught up with stuff.

The inaugural Tony Mattingley Memorial Trophy for Service and Contribution to the Torana Community was awarded to Tiny for his consistant and tireless work in making things like this forum run smoothly and the forum drag days. No many would realise that Tiny doesn't have a Torana but he is still a true enthusiast.

I was honored to present the trophy in memory of Tony (a great mate and member of the Torana Community) to Tiny last Sunday and would like to acknowledge Tony's family's support of the trophy, it would not have happened without their go ahead.

Lawrie Reid
Canberra Torana Club Inc

#63 bluea9x

bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

On behalf of the Canberra Torana Club I would like to thank the HVTC and organisors (especially Mick, Graham and Garry) of Toranafest 2010 for yet another superb event. Venue and accomodation above par as usual. Saturday night meet & greet and diner absolutly awesome. Looking forward to having another beer with you guys out of the (won't be so new) trailer next year.

Lawrie Reid
President
Canberra Torana Club

#64 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Awesome awesome weekend. All members of the QTCC had a blast and found the accommodation, show and hospitality of all motel guests to be very warm and welcoming. There was only a little bit of concern over room allocation again but most of us were situated together which is an improvement over last year. Maybe next year we can get it perfect.

My only gripe is the Canberra boys had to bring that god damned trailer which a couple of the QTCC folk enjoyed so much they want the club to build them one now...... Thanks a lot Lawrie :P

We all had huge fun and will be back again to do the same next year.

To all involved, well done !!

Cheers,

Sanchez

Edited by Big T, 23 September 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#65 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

I would also like to thank the HVTC and organisers of Toranafest 2010 for yet another memorable weekend and wish to thank the Sydney Torana Club and Tony etc for their help with accommodation and their hospitality over the weekend.
Thank you.

#66 bluea9x

bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

Awesome awesome weekend. All members of the QTCC had a blast and found the accommodation, show and hospitality of all motel guests to be very warm and welcoming. There was only a little bit of concern over room allocation again but most of us were situated together which is an improvement over last year. Maybe next year we can get it perfect.

My only gripe is the Canberra boys had to bring that god damned trailer which a couple of the QTCC folk enjoyed so much they want the club to build them one now...... Thanks a lot Lawrie :P

We all had huge fun and will be back again to do the same next year.

To all involved, well done !!

Cheers,

Sanchez

Very happy to oblige (saw you enjoying a few from it)loved the company of the QTCC and you big T. Have the contacts down here could arange one for you at a commission. :spoton:

#67 _REDLJ_

_REDLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi all just letting you know that as some attendees at Toranafest had the misfortune of getting booked and also defected.

I found this totally unacceptable so I have been in touch with the Newcastle Police and shared with them my disappointment with a number of senior officers regarding this matter.

I also mentioned this to The Motoring Editor for the Newcastle Morning Herald.

The final outcome was I was unable to get any of the offences dropped.

However It was explained that the Police Officer was not acting under any specific orders and all agreed he could have handled the situation with a little more diplomacy.

I know this will have been explained to him as well by his superiors.

It has been agreed that next year rather than making a phone call to Police prior to Toranafest we will make a face to face meeting to discuss the whole weekend, and avoid these types of incidents.

Sorry to all the guys affected by this Cowboy (not just my words). I hope this will not deter people in the future.

Regards

Pete
Hunter Valley Torana Club Inc

#68 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

Unfortunately i was one of them Pete, and although it did put a dampener on my weekend, i still had a great time and plan to be there again next year with some paperwork to hopefully help out if it happens again. It is a shame but i knew it was just the one evil knevil playing the game on his own and hopefully he is on leave next year. Theres knobs in every business, race, and culture but you dont tarnish all of them because of one incident or person even though i felt his wrath. Its all good and im just working on getting it all right now , See you next year :)

#69 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hi HVTC,

I Just want to say this was the best toranafest so far,they have all been good,have been coming since 2005 and enjoyed all of them.I was dressed also i was wearing a light blue tie dyed shirt,and long hair black wig and jeans and sunny's on for the 70's theme.iam a very proud member of my gtr and xu-1 owners club.And its so good to catch up with everyone on the day,from people all over australia who maded it here,and the one's who met on the day also was a top day,and to be so lucky for the weather also.
And many thanks HVTC for a excellent effort and its members you put on a great show,and also thanks for the extra dunnys.

Cheers John.

GTR and XU-1
Owners Club of NSW.

#70 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:20 PM

Anyone who was defected over the weekend - if you were defected for something that is legal where you are from, or isn't justified, make sure you dispute it.

It is the officer who issued the infringement who can cancel it in the first instance, so call his station first. then send a letter.
As much as the NSW cops (and the ACT cops during Summernats, and Vic cops during Easternats..... ) say they can defect you for something that is not legal in their state, I still believe this is incorrect, as if your car is legally registered and you are only passing through it shouldn't count.

Otherwise you'd be expected to get a roadworthy everytime you crossed a border :P

Grant..

#71 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

I tried that arguement once, ACT police defecting my car during Summernats that had just been registered in NSW two weeks before. The defect was for 8" wide rear rims & a hornet scoop, both legal mods in NSW on this car. Their response was "just because it passsed in NSW doesn't mean anything, while you're in the ACT you have to comply with our rules." I asked how to have it cleared, i'd be back in Sydney the next day & unable to present the car to the ACT Motor registry within the 14 days they gave to rectify the defects. They told me to get a Pink slip & mail it to the ACT Motor registry. Thing is, in NSW Pink slips are valid for 21 days after the inspection & i still had the original one from re-registering my car two weeks prior. At the time i figured i'd only make the situation worse if i tried to argue the point anymore. A sad fact of life that car enthusiasts make easy targets for over zealous police, always has been like this & always will be.

#72 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

"just because it passsed in NSW doesn't mean anything, while you're in the ACT you have to comply with our rules."
They told me to get a Pink slip & mail it to the ACT Motor registry.

Shoulda just mailed them back their defect notice! :spoton:

#73 _Genuine S_

_Genuine S_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Has anyone washed their Toranafest shirts yet ? I would advise against it if you want to keep the logos .

#74 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

maybe a hand wash deal.

The "thick" type of shirt decals never like the washing machine as they crack easily.

#75 _Genuine S_

_Genuine S_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

That would be the best way .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users