Photo

Australian Muscle Car Magazine Masters

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#176 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:36 PM

Was a Great Day! Alot Of Toranas and these other cars... i think they call them... Fords? (Yeah i never heard of them either) Said Gday to afew forum members and went wandering through the pits. Its Great to see that the Australian Muscle Car is Alive and Well!!!!!! I took afew pics and will upload them later.

Cheers

Josh

#177 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

It was a awsum day out except the August winds and i would like
to say a BIG THANKYOU to the Canberra Torana club for me
placing my bucket of bolts with their smick looking Torana's.
It was good to see Dirty Deeds as i thought he may have sold
his L34 & bought a f&&d. Hey Tiny i will ring later in the week
and organise a time to p/up the shirt before the Toranafest ok.

cheers Keith

#178 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

Awesome day, I was kept busy with Micks race car, but rewarded with being allowed to drive the HRT427 around on parade laps. Unfortunately, they were cut short due to the FORD drivers doing burnouts.

#179 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Both my Dad & I had a fantastic day out - only one complaint - too much too see!! :D
Walked through the pits early on, but didn't get to see much of the display cars before the action kicked off, and then we didn't want to leave the trackside and miss any of the action!!

I only got about 320 photo's.....I'll just have to find a way of sharing them all with you! (Greg, I got a few shots of your beast in action, and RedA9x if 'Micks' car is the Morris car in you sig, I got a few of it too...)

What a pity the Torana's display laps were at the very end, when most people had left, and the rain started...I just snapped a few pics of the exiting the pits, before I made the dash back to the car!
.....Bring on next year!!

#180 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:16 PM

Micks car is the 77 Janson Perkins car.

#181 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

Mick, Did you end up catching up with terry to ID some bits on that car? Really sorry i couldnt recall which one it was!

I was compeltely blown away by mick who handed me the keys to all 3 of his cars while he went over to talk to you!! "This key's for this, That key's for the race car, Go for it.. take a look! Just dont go anywhere"
HAHAH! As if i was going to go anywhere!!

Holding the keys to a HRT427, an genuine A9X, and ^ that car is about as close as i'd ever come to "owning" one... LOL Great bloke!

Good to catch up with all the Canberra guys and have a good chinwag... I Missed the fishnets pat!! Promises Promises!!

I think i'll come prepared next year! hehe!!

#182 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

how did you guys go with Micks car, sounded a little flat down the straight, but lovely car, as well as his 2 other beasts. Yours isnt half bad either red, and the boys from canberra I met early on, top blokes. In all a fantastic day, and i will definately be down again next year.

#183 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:55 AM

Did anyone get any phots on the day? I didn't get to venture over to the Grandstand area, but I'm sure I saw a white A9X hatch go in that area as I was driving in. Any pics from over there?

Tiny, yes I got to speak to the guys with the Patterson car and met Basil Von Rooyan (spelling). I had a great day, got to work on a Group C A9X, drive a HRT427, catch up with people like Bob Morris, John Sheppard, John Harvey, Mark Oastler. What a day, it's just a shame the drongos in the Fords couldn't control themselves on the track and cut my laps short. If you want to do burnouts, go to the Summernats!!!

Edited by REDA9X, 04 September 2006 - 06:59 AM.

#184 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

:useless:

#185 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

give it time MRNOS as I have 200 to sort through

#186 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

And your not finished sorting yet :cry:

#187 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:47 AM

Just a few of the ones I took yesterday. I took 600pics or so, and they sorted out to about 400 worth showing. Setting up an online album later.

Matt

PS - I have high res and low res versions of all the pics. If anyone wants a high res version of any of the pics, let me know and I can send it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by RpM, 04 September 2006 - 08:50 AM.

#188 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

Yeah Red the drongo's in the GT's did a great job of keeping the event RUNNING AHEAD OF TIME! That's gotta be a bonus for some... :)
As for my weekend.....Qualified 12th out of a field of 47 with a time of 1:44, i was happy with that.
Race 1 (Sat)
:ZZZ: poor start, slipped to 14th at turn 1, back to 12th by turn 2.
Got to 10th on the opening lap and knocked the engine master switch to the off position going throught the turn 10-11 complex. By the time i sorted that lot out I was around 50 seconds behind the entire field...Set out after them, and managed to catch and pass at least 3 cars before the flag.

Sunday (Harry Firth Trophy): Started 10th out of a grid of 25. Got a good start :rockon: got REALLY TIGHT at turn 2 and got shouldered at turn 3 so by turn 4 it was on! Went into 4-5 side by side with Garry Kirwan and managed to out drag him up the hill! from then on , swapped places with Warren Gay and Michael Kavich no less than 4 times! The racing between Kavich and myself was extremely closae at times :huh: but even though at times we were less than an inch apart at over 180 KPH (turn 1) we never touched once. THANK'S Michael! Managed to hold Kavich off for the rest of the 7 race so brought it home for a very satisfied position of8th. :clap:

Race 2:
because of my poor result in race 1 i was starting off 17 for this race... So I was pumped for some turn 2 action!
Good start :rockon: made it 4 wide at turn 1 (me on the grass on the inside) So was 15th coming out of turn 2. Usual jostling for space on the opening lap as everyone sorts themselves out.(and each other sometimes). By the end of lap 2 I had picked off david paterson and had my sighs on Garry O'Brien in the 308 powered Monaro, got under him at turn 9, only to have him blast past me on the straight! I had a thought as we went into turn 1 the Garry was a little too sideways! so i took a chance and turned in with a bit more speed on board than I would normally carry into that corner. :blink: . It payed off As i wrestled with my understeer, Garry sleewed sideways and by the time he gathered it up i was up the inside and had 50 metres start on him. Caught Bill Cutler (BMW) napping I think?As he really didn't offer much resistance and within 2 corners 13th was mine. raced hard with Scott Gorman for 2 laps to secure 12th positon.I was handed 11th position as Greg Smith slowed, short lived as no sooner had i passed Greg than I looked into the rear view mirror on the straight to see him grinning widely only inches from my rear bar what ever problem he had, was now fixed as he welded himself to me through turn 1. i moved to outside for turn 2 to let greg have the position as he was clearly faster than me and whatever trouble he had was now sorted. Back to 12th.
Turned up the heat on Tim Whitton (capri) and Harvey Felton( capri) But just as I felt confident i had tecar speed to make a move on the both something went clunk in the front right. Slowed a bit, did a wobble check, pumped the brake a few times and decided it didn't feel that bad. Caught on to the back off Tim and pressured as much as i could but no matter what i did he wouldn't make a mistake. My cars handling was terrible and i was lucky to hold out a hard charging Scott Gorman from a final lap assault on me!
finish 12th.
got the car back to paddock to discover I had torn the upper ball joint out of the control arm! :angry:
Dived into the spares and got the car ready for the final race.

Race 3:
Started off 12th grid and got a good start, up to 10th by the exit of turn 3. made up another 3 places round the back for 9th. the tweaks that i had done to the alignment whilst replacing the upper control arm had worked, the car was turning in much better than at any other time during the day.At the end of lap1 i was confident that i could push for at least 5th within the 10 laps race distance.
WRONG! :furious: as i lifted by boot at the end of the main straight the engine started to fume out of the breathers... Quick check of the gauges revealed all was still well, so i assumed I had broken a piston ring, slowed down to let the field pass and limped to the pits....However I didn't get there... at the exit of turn 9 the alternator fell off the motor (assisted by #1 conrod) so obviously it was more terminal than just a piston ring.
watched the rest of the race from the comfort of the turn 12 flag marshalls post.

all in all i had a good weekend.. sure shame about the engine, but it was really just a "junk" motor anyway. The racing was clean, the wheather was BRILLIANT and the cars on display were awesome!
Shame i didn't get more time to Roam and chase down some Forum members.. But hey! That's racin'.............. :rockon:

Cheers Greg
NSW #26 GTR XU-1

#189 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

Spewin i couldnt come this year either, damn father's day family lunch!! My god those hatches & the pair of VH Commodores look sooo tough on the track. I think i will have to attend next year for sure.

#190 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

A few more pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by RpM, 04 September 2006 - 01:43 PM.

#191 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

Heya dudes. Home sweet home. Will compose myself and throw some words down later.

Keith, not a problem mate, it's a Torana, so it qualifies to display with us. It ain't that bad. Wish I got time to have a better look at it.

Shower time.

#192 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

a quick link for some shots .. very low resolution but a good slideshow
amcm

slide show buttons are in bottom right corner.

Edited by GML-31, 04 September 2006 - 03:02 PM.

#193 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:14 PM

Nice shots GML-31
There is a couple of pics of a number 5 Gown Hindaugh L34 Torana in there.
Does any one know who owns this?
Is it a replica?

#194 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:02 PM

Great Weekend. Enjoyed catching up with those forum members that took the time to chew the fat. Those we didnt manage to see hopefully next year. Nice pics GML-31. Looks like you covered a lot of ground.

#195 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

Gown Hindaugh L34 Torana, Is it a replica?

Yep, it sure is ( and a nicely turned-out car )

#196 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

It was good to see Dirty Deeds as i thought he may have sold
his L34 & bought a f&&d.

Sold the L34 and bought a FORD !!! WTF
Nice one Keith, that's the first time that I've heard it.

#197 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

Nice shots GML-31
There is a couple of pics of a number 5 Gown Hindaugh L34 Torana in there.
Does any one know who owns this?
Is it a replica?

Yes it is a replica, yes it is a genuine LH SL/R 5000, yes I got the owner's card. The original car was destroyed in a Targa Tasmania event, and a few other incidents.

#198 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

Were you taking a pic of my car, or the norks on that girl? Either way, makes the car look good.

#199 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

how many cars were over near the grandstand because we had lots of room where we were, good spot to watch races but it was out of the way.

#200 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

Yeh was out of the way a bit, but a least it was a good grassed area with plenty room. Went over to the lage concrete area, it was stinking hot on there with not much room between the cars. Prefered the grass area !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users